+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Free permaculture design training

1. Link to Post #1
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Default Free permaculture design training

http://www.permaculturedesigntrainin...dx=phrasematch

if anyone is interested in the return to the garden of Eden here could be the place to begin.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,020 times in 927 posts

Default Re: Free permaculture design training

This is really fantastic. Thanks Sheme! I grew up in the country but live in the city now (Lexington, Ky) but I finished a greenhouse last Fall. The whole family is drinking rainwater off it's roof, which is liberating, and the kids think it's really cool. I'm building beds and planting only edible landscaping and trees but still know relatively little about the growing things part. Just mostly working on infrastructure so far. I've been reading about permaculture sporadically for a couple years and have been ready to really kick the learning in gear and I will take this as a sign that it's time. I am very thankful to you for sharing it. Just another sign for me that everything happens at the proper time for a reason.
    And by the way, there's a very interesting video that can be found on youtube called "Back to Eden" I think. It's a gardening/permaculture video with a religious slant but very fascinating. Definitely worth a watch.
    Matt

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2014), panopticon (5th March 2014)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,061 times in 906 posts

Hey thanks Sheme, great, it seems really interesting, I don't know much about Permaculture but I'll be glad to learn.

The best to you!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deega For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (23rd February 2014), panopticon (5th March 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,325 times in 318 posts

Great find, Sheme, thank you. I'm normally a bit jaundiced about 'to good to be true' offers on the net, but since I've been looking into various Permaculture courses for some years and never seem to have the spare cash, I absolutely jumped on it. Will let you know how it goes. Are you doing it?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix1304 For This Post:

panopticon (5th March 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks for posting this -- definitely something I'm interested in. After living in crowded Northeast Asia for the past decade, I'm more sensitive than ever to growing my own food whenever possible.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NDB For This Post:

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Yes I hope to do this ASAP it is the beginning of the growing season here and the sap rises in the Earth and my body around this time of year, I look forward to learning as much as I can as this could be our future.

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Spent an hour listening to the introduction- very informative already, tomorrow I will listen to the next part.

12. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

http://permacultureideas.blogspot.co...k-free-to.html

This web site provides a no cost student PDF book by Fukuoka (Fu ku o ka) The One Straw Revolution, see link under picture.

More free information.
    http://permacultureideas.blogspot.co...lable-for.html
    Last edited by sheme; 25th February 2014 at 14:07.

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Thankyou very much for this thread and links .
    Just what I needed !
    This is the way I want to go with my garden .
    I have been only gardening a few years but have
    been very drawn to forest gardening but kinda got a bit lost last year
    not really knowing how to stop my garden looking so man made . I really want
    to be part of it ( the garden ) rather than the boss .I am on about lecture 6 in your series and have gained a lot but also came across this vid from 1 of your links that is good . thanks for the encouragement . The sun is shining here for the first time in an age so I am going out to take my shoes off and stand in the sun !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfish For This Post:

15. Link to Post #10
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

My advice:
    • Watch the free lectures by Larry Korn and participate in the forum there if it's useful;
    • Only pay for certification if there is a reason you want certification (Do not pay for the certificate just because they've sent you emails asking/advising you to or offering some form of discount on something you actually don't need/want).
    I haven't had time to do this particular Permaculture Design Course (PDC) as of yet though will over the coming week or so.

The most important things to remember when choosing a PDC provider:
    • What is the teachers experience and how extensive is their portfolio of completed projects?
    • Does the course cover the required material and is it accurate?
    • The course must not present material beyond that of the Permaculture manual (though there can be some leniency here in some areas due to the nature and breadth of the material covered) or present an ideology/belief system as being an integral part of Permaculture (Mollison has said on a number of occasions that Permaculture is a science, not a belief system and those who teach a religious belief in their PDC are doing a disservice to the Permaculture community).
    • Is there a practical component to receive certification?

BTW, Vladislav Davidzon is a polarising character and an internet savvy entrepreneur. He owns/co-owns many of the sites that are listed as being friendly to Permaculture Design Training (PDT) & the Regenerative Leadership Institute (RLI). He was CEO of Common Circle Education (CCE) which ran onsite Permaculture Design Courses and seems to have morphed into the online company Permaculture Design Training. Vlad is well known for threatening legal action against people who say less than complimentary things about his courses. He also appears to have created a website (maybe a business as well) called the American Permaculture Association for reasons that are not clear but have been reflected on by many others.

Scott Pittman (The Permaculture Institute (USA), PINA, etc) has said that the people coming out of Vlad's PDC with their $200 "qualifications" will be providing less than professional services to their clients until they can gain many hours of practical experience. How this will effect the hard fought respect that Permaculture has gained over the last 3 decades I have no idea. I can only hope that people who get these qualifications are not getting them so they can start a business but just want to put in a veggie garden and have something on their wall to point at when friends visit... For information on Perm Institutes comments in Vlad's courses see this link.

I reckon that teaching everybody about Permaculture's principles, ethics and practices is one of the most important things that any person could choose to undertake. In this I salute the initiative and look forward to their course offerings.

-- Pan
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

+ Reply to Thread