+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Quarter of Americans Think the Sun Orbits the Earth

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Skywizard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,732 times in 1,319 posts

Default A Quarter of Americans Think the Sun Orbits the Earth

Jeff Nesbit was the director of public affairs for two prominent federal science agencies. This article was adapted from one that first appeared in U.S. News & World Report. Nesbit contributed the article to Live Science's Expert Voices: Op-Ed & Insights.

The Earth revolves around the sun. Really, it does. I know it may not seem that way because the sun appears to move across the sky each and every day, from east to west. It disappears into the ocean, and then rises again in the east the next day. But we're the ones doing the moving in orbit around the sun — not the other way around.

If you believe that (or, more accurately, know that), then good for you — you got one of the 10 correct answers on the National Science Foundation's public science-literacy test released recently.

When I worked at NSF, I used to think this sort of basic science test survey was a bit silly and simplistic. People spend years in school learning basic science stuff. Who doesn't know the Earth orbits the sun and not the other way around?

Apparently a quarter of the American population, that's who.

It turns out 26 percent of us in America think the sun is moving around the Earth, and we're just rooted in place here on Earth watching it sweep across the sky, a recent public survey using the NSF science-literacy test found. Never mind those silly scientists telling us otherwise. A quarter of us can see the sun moving. We're not moving. The sun is.

Read full story at the source below... interesting read.

Source: http://www.livescience.com/43593-ame...t-science.html

peace...
    skywizard
    ~~ One foot in the Ancient World and the other in the Now ~~

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Skywizard For This Post:

Art (25th February 2014), Atlas (26th February 2014), Bill Ryan (26th February 2014), Cardillac (24th February 2014), ceetee9 (27th February 2014), Flash (24th February 2014), ghostrider (26th February 2014), Hip Hipnotist (24th February 2014), jagman (26th February 2014), linksplatinum (24th February 2014), Operator (24th February 2014), Prodigal Son (24th February 2014), RunningDeer (25th February 2014), seeker/reader (25th February 2014), selinam (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014), Wind (24th February 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Hip Hipnotist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 times in 314 posts

Default Re: A Quarter of Americans Think the Sun Orbits the Earth

When you have a U.S. president who thinks the U.S. has 57 states it makes perfect sense that a quarter ( are you sure that's all? ) of its citizens would think the sun circles the earth.

Where was the teleprompter when he REALLY needed it?
    Last edited by Hip Hipnotist; 24th February 2014 at 19:08.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

ceetee9 (27th February 2014), Flash (24th February 2014), Magnus (27th February 2014), markpierre (25th February 2014), Nasu (25th February 2014), Prodigal Son (24th February 2014), seko (25th February 2014), selinam (24th February 2014), Skywizard (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Other reading will convince you that the Earth does not revolve around the Sun, that in fact both move in spiral dance through the galaxy and universe.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

bennycog (25th February 2014), Flash (24th February 2014), mosquito (25th February 2014), Operator (24th February 2014), Prodigal Son (24th February 2014), seeker/reader (24th February 2014), seko (25th February 2014), selinam (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014), Wookie (27th February 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,715 times in 8,943 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    Other reading will convince you that the Earth does not revolve around the Sun, that in fact both move in spiral dance through the galaxy and universe.
    I am baffled Conk, my brain cannot grasp this, I just learned that the eath goes around the sun, while I thought it was the other way around Now you are talking or spiral.

Oh, and not enough mistakes in my grammar to make sure you believe me. And what is a spiral to start with??

- gosh, how do you tell them that ETs exist.

- I will be gross, but I need someone to clean my house, it does not matter then where the sun and earth are, as long as my house is cleaned. Gosh, do we have to think this way with people who do not want to educate themselves. This is so elementary that videos do not even show it when speaking about space.
    Last edited by Flash; 24th February 2014 at 19:20.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Becky (24th February 2014), conk (24th February 2014), Prodigal Son (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Norway Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,045 times in 794 posts

I know that the Sun moves through space at 240 km/h which converts to 536,864.710093 mph, and that when in rotation with our sibling planets in our Solar system, (all of which the outer planets revolve around the Sun), makes a spiraling pattern pretty similar to how the strands of DNA are spiraled... Now that's pretty cool huh...

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to linksplatinum For This Post:

conk (24th February 2014), Flash (24th February 2014), mosquito (25th February 2014), Prodigal Son (24th February 2014), Saracatt (24th February 2014), seeker/reader (24th February 2014), seko (25th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014), Wind (24th February 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 675 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    I am baffled Conk, my brain cannot grasp this, I just learned that the eath goes around the sun, while I thought it was the other way around Now you are talking or spiral.

Oh, and not enough mistakes in my grammar to make sure you believe me. And what is a spiral to start with??

- gosh, how do you tell them that ETs exist.

- I will be gross, but I need someone to clean my house, it does not matter then where the sun and earth are, as long as my house is cleaned. Gosh, do we have to think this way with people who do not want to educate themselves. This is so elementary that videos do not even show it when speaking about space.
    At one time it was taught that the sun and all the stars revolve around a stationary earth, which was the center of the Universe. That is what the Bible consistently and unambiguously teaches. The purpose of that was to make the masses believe that earth was created by God and is the only planet capable of supporting life. In other words, nothing matters except what happens here. Many people were killed trying to correct that notion during the Copernican Revolution.

However, the final acceptance of the heliocentric model really did little to awaken humans to to the idea that there were billions of inhabited worlds out there, since it was subsequently taught that earth was the only planet supporting life in our solar system. All the planets revolving around a stationary sun is almost as misleading. All the stars are in motion and everything is dynamic. This video gives a very nice illustration of what's really happening.

Last edited by Prodigal Son; 24th February 2014 at 19:35.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Prodigal Son For This Post:

Carmody (25th February 2014), Flash (24th February 2014), linksplatinum (24th February 2014), ponda (24th February 2014), RunningDeer (25th February 2014), Saracatt (24th February 2014), seeker/reader (25th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014), Wind (24th February 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

this info doesn't surprise me in the least- sort of goes hand-in-hand with most (duped) Americans still believing that the Federal Reserve and IRS are legitimate (cough) gov't institutions and the Act of 1871 (as if they've even heard about it) turning the US into the status of a corporation is nothing more than a foundless "conspiracy theory"

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

mosquito (25th February 2014), seeker/reader (25th February 2014), Skywizard (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Saracatt's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder what the results of the test would be worldwide?

I clicked on the link and took the 10 question quiz they were talking about, and I got all of them correct, except for the last one---

9. Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals True or False?

Of course the answer they are looking for is "True", but well.....it's a lot more complicated a story than that!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saracatt For This Post:

Brodie75 (25th February 2014), markpierre (25th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Prodigal Son's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 675 posts

Here is one of many websites that proves that there are people with PhD's in this world who take the Bible literally and are absolutely convinced that not only is the earth the center of the Universe, but that the size of the Universe has been grossly exaggerated by "Kabbalists" through trickery and deception and that the Universe is in actuality a mere three and one half light years in diameter, and enclosed by a wall of "ice crystals" that act as mirrors reflecting galaxies infinitely. Yes, the Universe is a giant Disco Ball, and God's Throne rests on top of it. And to make matters worse, you have to see how they dance around and apologize for the idea that God deliberately built this deception into the Universe... you have to see this to believe it....

http://fixedearth.com/

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Prodigal Son For This Post:

mosquito (25th February 2014), seeker/reader (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014), Wind (24th February 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member 8Adamas8's Avatar
    Thanks

This is just lack of knowledge. What I find more dangerous is the flat earth society and their exploits. They claim conspiracy and scientific evidence for how the earth is flat. I'm not sure on how many are out there but they have plenty of youtube videos.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8Adamas8 For This Post:

seeker/reader (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Ehhh, if you look up in the sky and you see all the other stars do you really think they are up there ?
    Nope, there is light refraction with each transition from one medium to another one and light tends
    to bend around some points (like demonstrated during the 1919 solar eclipse).

So, light doesn't come as a straight line ... hence distance shouldn't be measured in light years!!
    Since everything in nature twists and loops around a couple of light years may be next door.
    (like one step backward on earth may also be 40.000 Km or 25.000 miles forward )

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

bennycog (25th February 2014), Carmody (25th February 2014), DeDukshyn (25th February 2014), seko (25th February 2014), Skywizard (24th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

And ..... If the stats Richard Dawkins uses are accurate, 30-40% of them believe the Earth to be 6,000 years old, and a truly staggering 50% believe the bible to be a factual historical account.

Things like this make me feel like giving up.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th February 2014), seeker/reader (25th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Quote Posted by Prodigal Son (here)
    ”...However, the final acceptance of the heliocentric model really did little to awaken humans...”
    The above video is titled, “The Helical Model - Our Solar System is a Vortex”

This is part 2, titled, “The Helical Model - Our Galaxy is a Vortex”

Published on Jan 25, 2013

Full info and ongoing research:

http://www.djsadhu.com/the-helical-mo...

Download the sound track for personal use:
http://www.djsadhu.com/audio-video/au...

Notes & comments on this video

The Milky Way

:
    • The Milky Way itself travels through space at appr. 600 km/s

• The image used for texturing the Milky Way is NOT a picture of the Milky Way. There are no pictures of the outside of the Milky Way.

• There could either be a black hole or a central sun in the center of the Milky Way. I went with the texture image and made it shine.

• A complete revolution around the galaxy takes 226 million years

• Do not confuse the Galactic Plane with the Galactic Equator: the Sun never "crosses" the Galactic Equator because the Sun is always on the Galactic Equator, by definition.

Precession cycle

:
    • One precession cycle takes 25,920 years

• Since one revolution takes 226 mln years, this would mean that there are appr. 8692 precessional cycles in one revolution. In this animation there are only 60.

Scale & distance:
    • The Sun is 109 times bigger than the Earth. If this animation was to scale, the planets would be invisible.

• Our Solar System should be a gazillion times smaller compared to the Milky Way. If this animation was to scale, you could not see the Solar System, the Sun or any of the planets.

• The software used to create this animation is unable to work with extreme sizes and distances.
    Sound & music:

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

conk (25th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,715 times in 8,943 posts

In poor countries where a majority do not have access to school, it may rise to 60-75% but in Europe, if you get 10% it would be surprising. In Canada I would bet for 10% and below. Believe me, your school system had taken a very hard hike in the last 30 years, down and down we fall, the curve is inversely proportional to the increase in reality television. More reality TV, less teaching in schools.

Quote Posted by Saracatt (here)
    I wonder what the results of the test would be worldwide?

I clicked on the link and took the 10 question quiz they were talking about, and I got all of them correct, except for the last one---

9. Human beings, as we know them today, developed from earlier species of animals True or False?

Of course the answer they are looking for is "True", but well.....it's a lot more complicated a story than that!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Saracatt (25th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,321 times in 10,234 posts

Quote Posted by Operator (here)
    Ehhh, if you look up in the sky and you see all the other stars do you really think they are up there ?
    Nope, there is light refraction with each transition from one medium to another one and light tends
    to bend around some points (like demonstrated during the 1919 solar eclipse).

So, light doesn't come as a straight line ... hence distance shouldn't be measured in light years!!
    Since everything in nature twists and loops around a couple of light years may be next door.
    (like one step backward on earth may also be 40.000 Km or 25.000 miles forward )
    Yes, that is oddly true.

That one cold have a 'black hole' right in front of them, but if the warp goes around, one would never know it.

The whole matter does not move in a straight line and the dimensional crossing aspect, is a case of hitting the right vibratory oscillation of this complex vortex systems of matter, in order to reach a complimentary resonance. Which can happen naturally, or it can be forced, or brought (coaxed) into being.

That other entire universes of a completely different or even similar order are right inside of you, right now. You are them, they are you, you are made up of them (and they of you) and their energetic crossings. The whole thing is hydrodynamic, and vortex oriented.

A pair of 2d sheets mix vibrationally, and create a vortex. Our existence is a bubble, at one particular "angle of view".

And on all the other possible tangents, are the probability and mirror universes. All running through one another at the same time.

And we stare at this spinning dual vortex system, with it's inner and outer layers in Near balance and we see..wave and particle.

Since each sheet can and does have planar flow, differences in orientation, we get different "particles" emerging.

Think of two disturbed flow sheets, like that , combining, vibrationally, like the MHD flow image above, and there's your dual vortex wave/particle. Thus two 2d sheets, in interference... gives rise to all 3d time-space. Yet we retain the spooky action at a distance and all dimensional integration.

Thus time, space, matter, gravity, 3d-ish effects, and the spooky action at a distance, all rolled into one.

We live as a vibratory stuttered stroboscopic viewpoint.

Place your hands like this, for example:

When doing this, look at your hands. That point a which your eyes are, is the human universe of 3d timespace. Your hands represent the pair of 2d sheets, in integration with one another.

now move your hands around in motion, and think of the friction points where the fingers press upon one another, as having vortexes spin off those points. As the hands move or the 2d sheets move and oscillate through one another, they create this vortex effect.

That their motion is not detectable on it's own (from our viewpoint) (one hand has no motion as motion is measurement and measurement is relative to a observation point), that their 'relative internal motion' is not in existence. ONLY in integration does the vortex and wave/particle appear, ONLY from the observation point of 3d timespace, does their essential differential appear. Only from your viewpoint, where your eyeballs are, does the wave/particle appear in this integration of the pair of sheets.

That viewpoint you have, is one of untold billions. Some main ones exist (areas of near geometric/resonant perfection), primary resonances, yes, but the total is well.... ridiculous.

Brilliant people talk about ideas,
    average people talk about things,
    small people talk about each other.
    Last edited by Carmody; 25th February 2014 at 05:06.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

araucaria (27th February 2014), DeDukshyn (25th February 2014), eaglespirit (25th February 2014), Flash (25th February 2014), meeradas (25th February 2014), Operator (25th February 2014), Saracatt (25th February 2014), skyflower (25th February 2014), thunder24 (25th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014), Wind (25th February 2014)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,310 times in 18,139 posts

Nassim Haramein: Earth Is Not Really Orbiting The Sun

Uploaded on Oct 6, 2011

Earth Is Not Just Orbiting The Sun like we all have come to think. It sounds really stupid but this video is not a joke. We view our planet(s) circling around our Sun and that is some what still true, except our sun is also moving as well...

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Christine (26th February 2014), Sunny-side-up (10th March 2014), The Alley Cat (25th February 2014), WhiteFeather (25th February 2014)

33. Link to Post #17
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,816 times in 4,349 posts

Quote Posted by Hip Hipnotist (here)
    When you have a U.S. president who thinks the U.S. has 57 states it makes perfect sense that a quarter ( are you sure that's all? ) of its citizens would think the sun circles the earth.

Where was the teleprompter when he REALLY needed it?
    I've never seen that and I'm shocked. He is President of the United States, but he doesn't actually know how many states there are? You must be joking me. You must!

Even to non-Americans it is surely common knowledge that there are 50 states. I honestly didn't think you could have a dumber president that Bush Jr.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

34. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

This will give you some perspective , try this , two people stand facing each other , one holding a flashlight at the other , the one without the light stay in the same place but slide around 360 degrees , staying in one spot , the one with the flashlight stand completely still , you will see the light come up and go down , neither are moving one is just rotating ... Now if both move together in harmony , like a ballet , it still the same result ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,745 times in 32,946 posts

-------

The point of the thread is really how appallingly uninformed and/or unintelligent some apparently very nice-and-normal people are. There are some howlingly funny (and even hard-to-believe) videos on YouTube of interviews on the street asking passers-by simple general knowledge questions.

While what was shown is of course filtered to show the dumbest/funniest answers, it's still pretty shocking. Questions I remember are things like "How many points does a triangle have?" "How many Eiffel Towers are there?" And (best of all, pointing at a world map) "Where is Iraq"? Maybe someone else can find them... well worth sharing here.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Atlas (26th February 2014), kanishk (27th February 2014), Operator (26th February 2014), Saracatt (12th March 2014), Skywizard (26th February 2014)

37. Link to Post #20
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Maybe someone else can find them... well worth sharing here.

Here's the video you speak of:

I don't know that this is a lack of inteligence, honestly I think it's a lack of motivation; the desire to learn is completely removed via modern school indoctrination. which is THE BEST way to keep a population "retarded" in understanding on every topic (especially the ones that involve those in power screwing over those trusting them).

If critical thinking were just taught, (see my "learn to think" link in my signature) life would be very different.
    Last edited by TargeT; 26th February 2014 at 19:24.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Atlas (26th February 2014), Bill Ryan (26th February 2014), kanishk (27th February 2014), Operator (26th February 2014), Sophocles (26th February 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast