+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's a good water filter (that removes fluoride)

1. Link to Post #21
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Default Re: What's a good water filter (that removes fluoride)

Quote Posted by john.d (here)
    Ive been looking around for a while and see that reverse osmosis filters do the job . The problem i have is that i live in a truck so dont have mains pressure and power is an issue .
    Ive also been looking at distilling water then adding minerals afterwards . There doesnt seem to be any stove top (non electric) distillers around though . There are a few plans for diy stills which is an option but i thought i would ask on here to see if anyone has a solution .
    Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

John
    Phone your water company you may find you don't even have fluoride added, I was surprised to find my water did not have fluoride and I am in Herefordshire,,,

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)
    Robert,

Your post clearly identified KDF as the fluoride reduction agent...

What is the rated capacity for activated alumina...probably a couple hundred gallons?
    The flouride filter is in addition to the KDF filter. Sorry I wasn't clear. That was a direct cut and paste from Berkey Tech sheet.

To be clear... the water is prefiltered through the KDF and then through the flouride filters that are Activated Alumina. Berkey claims 1000 gallons which may be less if higher than "optimal" levels are filtered.

Be safe, R2

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), Tigger (25th February 2024)

4. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

If that is Berkey's statement; they should be more careful to not make misleading statements.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

If that is Berkey's statement; they should be more careful to not make misleading statements.
    Not sure how it's misleading, seemed pretty clear to me but here's a link on the tech.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-.../fluoride.html

Be safe, R2

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

8. Link to Post #25
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 times in 819 posts

Last edited by Mu2143; 19th March 2015 at 01:58.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mu2143 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), robertr2m (7th March 2014)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Robert,

Berkey is claiming fluoride reduction by KDF media.

You say Berkley uses activated alumina; I followed the link and there is no mention of alumina...

Something is rotten in Denmark...

Berkley shows two K series filter housings; I know of no such media available, in the quantity that a K series body can hold that would be remotely close to being able to reduce fluoride at a capacity of 1000 gal.

...a KDF/GAC for chlorine reduction, YES....no way for fluoride.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but, I don't see any third party verification for their test results.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Robert,

Berkey is claiming fluoride reduction by KDF media.

You say Berkley uses activated alumina; I followed the link and there is no mention of alumina...

Something is rotten in Denmark...

Berkley shows two K series filter housings; I know of no such media available, in the quantity that a K series body can hold that would be remotely close to being able to reduce fluoride at a capacity of 1000 gal.

...a KDF/GAC for chlorine reduction, YES....no way for fluoride.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but, I don't see any third party verification for their test results.
    I'm sure if you read through the Berkey information or even contacted them, they would be more than happy to verify what I have already stated since I have repeated their product information.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/about-berkey/contact/

And I agree with you 100% that KDF will not filter flouride.

I don't think the K series body would hold 1000 gallons either. That would pretty big. I think I said (per Berkey) that the filters would treat 1000 gallons. When you stated "What is the rated capacity for activated alumina...probably a couple hundred gallons?", I assumed you meant how many gallons the filter would effectively treat, not what the housing would store. As far as I know, they don't have a housing that will hold a couple hundred gallons either.

Another tech sheet that is more specific...

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/pf2fluoride.pdf

3. The media used within the PF-2 water filter elements contained high grade activated alumina
    oxide, which currently is the most efficient media available for extracting fluoride from the water.

As far as third party verification, I would like to see this as well now that you mention it. I think I may use the contact link and ask them or maybe even the 800 number. Ahhhh... just noticed a live chat button... Let's both ask them so they know we are serious in our inquiries about getting the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth

Be safe, R2

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Robert,

I know who manufactures the filter cartridges that Berkey is using. I personally have conversed with representatives of both the filter company and the manufacture of the KDF material; I used to work in this industry.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

16. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Robert,

I know who manufactures the filter cartridges that Berkey is using. I personally have conversed with representatives of both the filter company and the manufacture of the KDF material; I used to work in this industry.
    Do they manufacture activated alumina medium as well? That's actually what we are discussing... right? I have agreed and still agree that KDF will not filter flouride. It's essentially the first stage in the filter then the activated alumina filter is the second. Two different filters. A KDF and a activated alumina. Per Berkey, of course.

I'm assuming my last tech link was acceptable?

Be safe, R2

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

I'm not questioning the filter manufacturer; they make quality filters.

It's Berkey's claims that i find suspect.

It's all about the media bed and contact time...so, if the cartridges contained 100% alumina; they could only reduce fluoride for a couple hundred gallons.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

20. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

I did email them and ask if they had an independant testing lab confirm results. If they get back with me, I'll post their reply.

If they used a projection instead of an actual flow test, I would be highly suspect of the results as well. Now that I'm thinking about it... how would you know when the filter was loaded up? Reduction of flow???

Be safe, R2

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

22. Link to Post #32
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

According to the Daily Mail the plan is to fluoridate the rest of the UK. I must object to our Government while there is still a chance they do not make it law.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...ide-plans.html

I have a distiller I will distill my water if I have to. I bet they drink bottled spring water with nothing added in the Houses of Parliament

23. Link to Post #33
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

The cheapest and fastest, easiest, safest way to do this was to buy a couple de-humidifiers and a Katadyne water pump to extract the water into my jugs for the fridge or whatever I wish to use it for. Using it for tea and such I never add the minerals I just eat extras of things that would contain those. For the coming times you all should have one of these anyways and its the best. It can filter 12,000 to 14,000 gallons of water before the ceramic filter goes bad in these and they really do work. I have used mine to get drinking water from puddles, holes I dug near water like lakes, ponds, or rivers and then let that little puddle depression fill up. It pumps clear clean water. Great item. Description reads: The classic. This robust water filter made of heavy duty materials is ideal for long lasting continuous use even under extreme circumstances. The silver impregnated ceramic element is effective against bacteria and protozoa. The Katadyn Pocket is the only water filter with a 20 year warranty. Includes: Prefilter, bottle clip and carry bag

Article number: 2010000

The one I have is the Katadyne Pocket. Look it up on Amazon. I've drank and used water this way for us and the pets for years. I never bothered to look for reasons not to and if the container to collect bothers you on a dehumidifier you can simply fix the machine so the safety preventing the things from working if the original is not in there. Just use Gorilla tape to keep it depressed and collect the water in an approved of container. That is what we do actually. We bought similar size approved of drinking containers from Emergency Essentials

24. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,745 times in 488 posts

The Federal government just decided to ban Berkey water filters.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2023-09-...y-filters.html

Granted in Absurdistan this would be normal.

Guess this is "the new normal" for everyone in theUSA.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frankie Pancakes For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), Ewan (20th September 2023), gord (20th September 2023), Satori (20th September 2023), Tigger (25th February 2024)

26. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,630 times in 675 posts

Quote Posted by Frankie Pancakes (here)
    The Federal government just decided to ban Berkey water filters.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2023-09-...y-filters.html

Granted in Absurdistan this would be normal.

Guess this is "the new normal" for everyone in theUSA.
    I didn't believe this, so I poked around a bit, and found this on their website:

Important Update Regarding Product Availability

and this on EPA's website:

On Behalf Of: James Shepherd, et al., Violations of the APA and due process involving Berkey water filters
    https://www.epa.gov/system/files/doc...-09-2023_1.pdf

Government by mendacious sophistry.....
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Alecs (26th February 2024), Alekahn2 (25th February 2024), Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), Ewan (20th September 2023), Harmony (25th February 2024), Peace in Oz (21st September 2023), Satori (20th September 2023), Tigger (25th February 2024)

28. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 times in 375 posts

We use an “RO-5U” reverse osmosis filtration system for our drinking water. Whilst fluoride is not a major concern, there are other contaminants we need to watch out for. This was the primary driver of us selecting this system. It’s very pricey to install initially, but if you don’t want heavy metals or other contaminants in your water, it is a wise investment. I think it’s specific to Australia, but there are plenty of other brands out there.

A short video (2m 16s) can be found here:

At the risk of moving slightly off-topic, if you have the capability, you may want to think about a generalised filtration system for your home. Obviously this is not practicable if you live in an apartment, but you can at least install in-line filtration units on your shower-heads that can filter out a lot of the harsh chemicals. Showering in some town water supplies can really dry out your skin and hair. I used these in my apartment-living days and they do work well.

If you have more land, think about installing rainwater tanks and/or a general filtration system. Tanks can be an important back-up supply in some situations, but be careful about using unfiltered rainwater. Think about chemical fallout, bat or other animal droppings on the roof, etc. Use what is called a “first-flush” water diverter. This traps the first few litres of water and prevents it flowing into the rainwater tanks. When it rains, the initial wash of dusty water, droppings and other foreign substances are prevented from flowing into the rainwater tanks. Here’s a quick video to show you how it works:

12 seconds, no audio:

Make the capacity of the diverter large enough to ensure the water is reasonably clear before flowing into the tanks. I have several large sheds as my catchment, and my first flush diverter is around 50L, which may be too large for smaller rooftops.

But do make sure you add in another filtration step to make sure your rainwater is safe enough. Different councils will have different rules, so make sure you do some homework if you’re going to invest in this system. Here’s a snapshot of the filtration system I designed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2995.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	52752

Okay, ours is a little complicated! By configuring the valves in the picture above, we can use either town water OR tank water, and we can run either source through the filtration system (which is 10 and 5 micron, plus UV), or bypass the filters completely, which is useful if you’re doing laundry, washing the car etc. and you don’t want to unnecessarily shorten the life of the filter.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Alecs (26th February 2024), Alekahn2 (25th February 2024), Bill Ryan (25th February 2024), ClearWater (26th February 2024), Ewan (25th February 2024), Harmony (25th February 2024), leavesoftrees (26th February 2024)

30. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,987 times in 463 posts

I looked at whole house filters. They dont seem to removed fluoride or chlorine - but can filter out contaminants and pathogens. Even so I wondered what was the point

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

Alecs (26th February 2024), avid (26th February 2024), Bill Ryan (26th February 2024), Ewan (26th February 2024)

32. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 times in 375 posts

Quote Posted by leavesoftrees (here)
    I looked at whole house filters. They dont seem to removed fluoride or chlorine - but can filter out contaminants and pathogens. Even so I wondered what was the point
    Valid point; I’d offer that a whole-house filter system would only be of worth if you wanted to remove sediments and pathogens that may be present in the water before you run it through a secondary filtration. That’s probably a non-issue if you have clean town water, but if you’re using rain water tanks, particularly in the tropics (which we are), it’s an important first step.
    Last edited by Tigger; 27th February 2024 at 13:44. Reason: Correct grammar

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th February 2024), leavesoftrees (28th February 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2