+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's a good water filter (that removes fluoride)

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default What's a good water filter (that removes fluoride)

Ive been looking around for a while and see that reverse osmosis filters do the job . The problem i have is that i live in a truck so dont have mains pressure and power is an issue .
    Ive also been looking at distilling water then adding minerals afterwards . There doesnt seem to be any stove top (non electric) distillers around though . There are a few plans for diy stills which is an option but i thought i would ask on here to see if anyone has a solution .
    Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

John

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.d For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), Fairy Friend (25th February 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,019 times in 927 posts

Default Re: What's a good water filter (that removes fluoride)

I'm sure there are others but we use a Big Berkey. It's gravity fed so no worries about electricity or pressure. You have to purchase the extra fluoride filter attachments if you're filling it with tap. The nice thing about the Berkey is that you can put water from just about any source into it. We use rainwater. You can also just buy the filter elements and build your own filter with any two containers.
    Matt

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), Hazel (9th March 2014), heyokah (25th February 2014), john.d (25th February 2014), PurpleLama (24th February 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I've heard some mixed things about berky filters -- not that they aren't great, but just that they don't quite do what they claim they do (at least I have read this from people who have tested them). So look into it a little before making the decision to ensure the fluoride is actually being removed. Unfortunately, fluoride is very hard to remove from water completely, but most charcoal based filters should remove some of it and most of the chlorine.

Boiling or reducing fluoridated water greatly increases the fluoride concentration so also keep this in mind.

There should be someone here who can point you in the water distiller direction, but I'm not well versed in them.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th February 2014 at 17:06. Reason: missed a word
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), john.d (25th February 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    I've heard some mixed things about berky filters -- not that they aren't great, but just that they don't quite do what they claim they do (at least I have read this from people who have tested them). So look into it a little before making the decision to ensure the fluoride is actually being removed. Unfortunately, fluoride is very hard to remove from water completely, but most charcoal based filters should remove some of it and most of the chlorine.

Boiling or reducing fluoridated water greatly increases the fluoride concentration so also keep this in mind.

There should be someone here who can point you in the water distiller direction, but I'm well versed in them.
    I have a Berkey, and I would be interested to hear about what you found out....

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by PurpleLama (here)
    Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)

There should be someone here who can point you in the water distiller direction, but I'm well versed in them.
    I have a Berkey, and I would be interested to hear about what you found out....
    I won't be able to find the original content, but the overall context was a deep analysis of a few high end water filters -- Berky was one. The details weren't that concerning to me, but where the berky claimed to remove 100% of X, after testing it came out less than 100%, but in comparison to others, it was still in the top few.

My main point is before making a major decision look into bad reviews and basically the "other" side of the story, but most specifically look for a proper unbiased analysis, so you can decide whether it is still good enough for you, even if it is not perfect. I don't think there are any "perfect" filtration systems out there even that are remotely affordable.

Personally, after the review I saw I would still consider a Berky as one of my top choices.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), john.d (25th February 2014), PurpleLama (25th February 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    Tip of the neuron's tendril watching the sparks fly...
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 times in 421 posts

To remove fluoride you need more than a carbon filter. There are three main ways.

Reverse Osmosis Expensive initial investment and wastes a lot of water. Usually 2-4 gallons are wasted for every 1 gallon produced. Minerals/salts must be added back in.
    Distillation. Time and energy intensive as you need heat to boil the liquid. Care must be taken to add minerals/salts back to the water.
    The third way is to buy a filter containing activated aluminum, which is expensive and needs frequent changing. Most fluoride filters rely on this technology and don't remove half as much fluoride as they claim.

Other ways:
    Bone Char Activated carbon. Activated carbon made using bones. Just like our bones pull in fluoride this carbon filter does the same. Make sure it is medical grade cause who knows where that bone came from..

Buy spring water. This is what I do. Fast, easy and fairly cheap. Here is a website of bottled water that don't contain fluoride. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sa...ud_fluor35.htm

I wish I had a better answer for you. Fluoride is a pain in the ass to remove unfortunately.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Octavusprime; 25th February 2014 at 03:52.
    (Insert signature here)

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Octavusprime For This Post:

13th Warrior (25th February 2014), Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), DeDukshyn (25th February 2014), gripreaper (25th February 2014), john.d (25th February 2014)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

I use a Berkey, it has an extra flouride attachment. MUCH cheaper than bottled. I love it. I do not sell, or am associated with the company in any way shape or form besides being a satisfied customer.
    http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Berkey does sound good but I'm not sure about how efficient it is with fluoride ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to john.d For This Post:

16. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member AlaBil's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 times in 186 posts

Quote Posted by Octavusprime (here)
    To remove fluoride you need more than a carbon filter. There are three main ways.

Reverse Osmosis Expensive initial investment and wastes a lot of water. Usually 2-4 gallons are wasted for every 1 gallon produced. Minerals/salts must be added back in.
    Distillation. Time and energy intensive as you need heat to boil the liquid. Care must be taken to add minerals/salts back to the water.
    The third way is to buy a filter containing activated aluminum, which is expensive and needs frequent changing. Most fluoride filters rely on this technology and don't remove half as much fluoride as they claim.

Other ways:
    Bone Char Activated carbon. Activated carbon made using bones. Just like our bones pull in fluoride this carbon filter does the same. Make sure it is medical grade cause who knows where that bone came from..

Buy spring water. This is what I do. Fast, easy and fairly cheap. Here is a website of bottled water that don't contain fluoride. http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sa...ud_fluor35.htm

I wish I had a better answer for you. Fluoride is a pain in the ass to remove unfortunately.
    Cheers!
    Octavusprime... Thanks for the list of flouride free bottled water.

You are right about fluoride removal being a problem. I have been trying to find a way to remove it from the entire household water flow and it's almost impossible do. No one locally knows a thing about this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AlaBil For This Post:

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 449 posts

Check out the ProPur water filter system as seen on Infowars.com.
    It filters out lots of chemicals along with fluoride.

I have one. I like it, but I have no idea how good it really is.

Happy hunting!

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    Genevieve

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genevieve For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), john.d (25th February 2014)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

Quote Posted by john.d (here)
    Berkey does sound good but I'm not sure about how efficient it is with fluoride ?
    I have the large size berkey. I purchase two of the flouride filters about every 6 months or so. And I use a lot of water because I use the filtered water in my humidifier also. So I go through six gallons a day with cooking and drinking etc.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Kind of a side note: Make sure the water has fluoride in it in the first place.

I always assumed my city had fluoridated water but turns out it doesn't. We do have chlorine but I think that filters out easier (just a hunch though not sure).
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,885 times in 912 posts

Most likely there is no sure method of fluoride removal...

A significant reduction is better then nothing...no?

You need to look at the data sheet for the reduction %'s for the given system you are using (looking to purchase). If there is no data sheet...buyer beware!

You're best bet is a water source without the halides in it.

An often overlooked component of R.O./distilled water is the removal of all the oxygen; an essential element.
    Last edited by 13th Warrior; 25th February 2014 at 21:41.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th September 2023), DeDukshyn (25th February 2014)

26. Link to Post #14
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

For the suggestion of bottled water, after drinking the Berkey water for a few months, all bottled water tastes like plastic, to me.

27. Link to Post #15
    Wales Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,775 times in 1,313 posts

Adya Clarity -----Check this out on Google, add to water to be filtered, removes fluoride.

Regards

roman

28. The Following User Says Thank You to ROMANWKT For This Post:

29. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Kind of a side note: Make sure the water has fluoride in it in the first place.

I always assumed my city had fluoridated water but turns out it doesn't. We do have chlorine but I think that filters out easier (just a hunch though not sure).
    As far as I know, a basic charcoal filter will remove ~98% of chlorine. That's good enough for me, and I can't taste it at all anymore after filtering it. Like you, I am very pleased my city no longer fluoridates.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

31. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

When dealing with removing flouride, it's a matter of contact. The Berkey filter has a built in restricter that slows the water down so it gets the maximum contact with the filter medium. The "optimal" fluoride levels recommended by the U.S. Public Health Service and CDC range from 0.7 parts per million (ppm) for warmer climates to 1.2 ppm for cooler climates. The Berkey used a solution of 20 to 30 ppm (alot more than the "optimal" levels) and still had a <1 ppm result. I'd say that was pretty good. Run it through twice if you really want to be sure.

Berkey Technical Information
    Testing was performed with a flow rate of less than 3gpm per cu.ft. of the Berkey KDF filtering medium at 20 - 30 parts per million (ppm) of the ion in the solution liquid. Results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the filter media (>95% reduction). Under optimum laboratory conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 part per billion (ppb) were readily achieved which equates to a >99.75% reduction.

Also, if you want to know what your particular water source has in it, goto http://thyroid.about.com/library/art...ridefinder.htm

Breaks it down to the water treatment plant your source is coming from.

Be safe, R2
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 6th March 2014 at 19:48. Reason: "still had a >1 ppm" ==> "still had a <1 ppm" :)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

33. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

As far as I know; KDF is not rated for fluoride removal...

How much KDF material is used in the Berkey filter system?

KDF is an ion-exchange media that is great for reducing the chlorine load on the carbon media which, improves the filtration life of the carbon element.

In my experience KDF does very little to reduce TDS.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)
    As far as I know; KDF is not rated for fluoride removal...

How much KDF material is used in the Berkey filter system?

KDF is an ion-exchange media that is great for reducing the chlorine load on the carbon media which, improves the filtration life of the carbon element.

In my experience KDF does very little to reduce TDS.
    Berkey uses Activated Alumina (which is granulated form of aluminum oxide) as the medium in it's flouride filters.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to robertr2m For This Post:

37. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Robert,

Your post clearly identified KDF as the fluoride reduction agent...

What is the rated capacity for activated alumina...probably a couple hundred gallons?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast