+ Reply to Thread

Thread: British firm to develop Worlds longest hybrid aircraft , due to US military budget cuts......

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,648 times in 18,693 posts

Default British firm to develop Worlds longest hybrid aircraft , due to US military budget cuts......

Interesting article and seems a good idea, not sure why an American aviation company did not bid for it ? unless it is being built under licence or something ?

28 February 2014 Last updated at 00:52

The world's longest aircraft in the makingContinue reading the main storyThe longest
    aircraft in the world has been unveiled at an airfield in Cardington, England, from where
    the great airships of the 1920s flew.

Originally developed for the US military, the 300ft (91m) helium-filled hybrid Airlander
    project was scrapped owing to budget cuts.

Now the giant aircraft is being brought back to life by a British company which plans to
    build hundreds of the environmentally friendly craft for passengers and cargo.

The current aircraft can carry a load of 1225kg for up to 21 days, but on shorter flights
    could take up to 5 tonnes. Aircraft still on the drawing board may be able to carry 50
    tonnes or more.

BBC News visited the headquarters of Hybrid Air Vehicles in a massive hangar at
    Cardington to see the inflatable leviathan being put together.

Video Journalist: Dean Arnett

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26372277

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P-791 Hybrid Air Vehicle

Uploaded on 24 Aug 2010

Lockheed Martin's Hybrid Air Vehicle can be designed as an unmanned or manned
    intelligence gatherer or transport vehicle. As an eye in the sky, this remarkable airship
    can stay aloft for up to three weeks at an altitude of 20,000 feet. Loaded with cameras,
    infrared sensors, communications relays, and other payloads, the Hybrid Air Vehicle can
    provide American and allied forces a clear picture of the battlefield. As a transport
    vehicle, the Hybrid Air Vehicle can be sized to move equipment and troops cost
    effectively to unimproved forward areas.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Atlas (28th February 2014), Aurelius (1st March 2014), fractal being (1st March 2014), linksplatinum (28th February 2014), mosquito (1st March 2014), Octavusprime (28th February 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 times in 519 posts

Default Re: British firm to develop Worlds longest hybrid aircraft , due to US military budget cuts......

maybe i am a bit weird atm ... but when i saw these videos my mind remembered a movie where an Air Vehicle like that had all the population DNA (1 big city in all the planet) and it was monitoring the population 24/7 from all sides etc...

Images couple of these roaming above the big cities with cameras and other surveillance equipment ... scary thoughts.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Etherios For This Post:

Cidersomerset (28th February 2014), fractal being (1st March 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,648 times in 18,693 posts

Default Re: British firm to develop Worlds longest hybrid aircraft , due to US military budget cuts......

Quote maybe i am a bit weird atm ... but when i saw these videos my mind remembered a movie where an Air Vehicle like that had all the population DNA (1 big city in all the planet) and it was monitoring the population 24/7 from all sides etc...

Images couple of these roaming above the big cities with cameras and other surveillance equipment ... scary thoughts.

It reminded me of the parallel Earth on Fringe.

Fringe "Over There" Alternate New York City

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

fractal being (1st March 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    Interesting article and seems a good idea, not sure why an American aviation company did not bid for it ? unless it is being built under licence or something ?
    The same article addresses your question:

Quote The US military bought it a few years ago and got this aircraft flying as a surveillance machine - it can stay in the same spot for 21 days at a time, and can fly with a lot of bullet holes in it too.

When the US defence budget was slashed, the British developers bought it back, and now they are planning the first UK flight later this year.

Which leads to a few very interesting observations:
    1. US has started selling out already since a few years, highlighting the financial mess of the country.
    2. Something like this was flying in the skies of the US for surveillance purposes a few years back.
    3. US is loosing the battle of innovation.

Let's see for how long the San Francisco valley can keep the country in the game, given the influence the Snowden leaks have already on them.
    Last edited by fractal being; 1st March 2014 at 21:24.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fractal being For This Post:

Cidersomerset (2nd March 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

IMO. being that it is the creation of Lockeed Martin, makes me think that there are many uses for these craft that will remain "classified" for a very long time. But maybe its just me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Cidersomerset (2nd March 2014), guess (4th April 2014)

+ Reply to Thread