Page 18 of 90 FirstFirst 1 8 18 28 68 90 LastLast

Thread: Boeing MH370 disappears in flight with 239 passengers

1. Link to Post #341
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

Default Re: Boeing MH370 disappears in flight with 239 passengers

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    All of this singin'n'dancin.....kinda makes me wonder just what the heck the other hand is doing in the Ukraine.
    Exactly ...

The "vote" for "succession" is this coming Sunday I believe.

If there is a thumbs up then things either get real ... or back down.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Carmody (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), johnf (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), monkeyofstick (14th March 2014)

3. Link to Post #342
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,549 times in 787 posts

The shutdown of two communication systems happened separately, 14 minutes apart, two US officials have told ABC news in the US, indicating a possible deliberate act.

The unnamed investigators believe the data reporting system shut down at 1.07am and the transponder at 1.21am, calling it a “systematic shut down.”

ABC cited a source saying this disputes the theory of a single catastrophic theory.

Some expert opinion on this back and forth about the transmitted data:

If the plane did crash, it’s “highly unlikely” that it could send data for the four hours after it lost contact, as reported by the Wall St Journal but dismissed by Malaysian authorities as “inaccurate”.

Peter Marosszeky, adjunct senior lecturer at the University of NSW’s department of aviation has told the Guardian: “it is recording and transmitting in real time. It seems pretty strange that a plane could be destroyed and still transmit [data].”

Marosszeky also queried theories involving an onboard electronics failure. “The only thing that really strikes me is the fact that the aircraft has reporting systems on board which don’t exactly rely on electronic systems, because the idea is if you lose electronics on the plane you can still track it.”

Aircraft also carry an Emergency Location Transmitter (ELT) device which has its own battery pack, activates on contact with water and cannot be switched off manually, he said.

“For that to stop working would have to suggest there was a really intense explosion that would have destroyed that device as well.”

Marosszeky also said it’s “very unlikely” that the plane could crash into the ocean and not break up into visible debris, “unless there was complete and utter destruction.”
    Last edited by Elainie; 14th March 2014 at 03:00.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

avid (14th March 2014), Carmody (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Gardener (14th March 2014), Hazel (14th March 2014), Hervé (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), monkeyofstick (14th March 2014), Selene (14th March 2014), syrwong (14th March 2014)

5. Link to Post #343
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,649 times in 21,531 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    All of this singin'n'dancin.....kinda makes me wonder just what the heck the other hand is doing in the Ukraine.
    Perhaps people in other nations are paying more attention, but surely no one has to work this hard to distract the average American from events in Ukraine .

If Leuren Moret's view, in Post #328, above, is anywhere close to the mark, then this missing plane could be a "hidden message" between two military powers: "Look at the fun toys we have!".

Moreover, all our speculations and conspiracy theory analysis could be like the return echoes from radar pings - send out a bunch of conflicting stories into the blogosphere and then listen to the way that the stories bounce about, in order to continue tracking the dynamic structure of the blogosphere and the objects (that's us and our half baked ideas) moving about it.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Carmody (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Hazel (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), monkeyofstick (14th March 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (14th March 2014), Selene (14th March 2014), Shikasta (14th March 2014), Sidney (14th March 2014)

7. Link to Post #344
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,649 times in 21,531 posts

Quote Posted by ERK (here)
    ... “unless there was complete and utter destruction.”
    unless ...
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Atlas (14th March 2014), Carmody (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Hazel (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014)

9. Link to Post #345
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

MH370 search to include Myanmar territory

The hunt for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has turned to Myanmar, with the Department of Civil Aviation giving permission for search operations to take place in southern Tanintharyi Region.

(Image via Department of Civil Aviation Facebook page)

DCA deputy director general U Win Swe Tun said the regional aviation control centre in Kuala Lumpur had requested permission to search Myanmar’s waters around Kawthoung on March 11.

“The regional control centre requested us on March 11 to permit search and rescue operations for MH370 in Myanmar airspace and Myanmar territorial waters in Kawthoung and nearby regions. In our aviation agreements we are to provide help and support if something like this happens so we already informed them that we allow them to do search operations,” he told The Myanmar Times.

A source close to the DCA said three aircraft from Malaysia, along with one each from New Zealand, Australia and the United States, are likely to conduct search operations in Myanmar.

“Since we have already given permission, they just need to inform us [about the scale of the] search and rescue operations, [including] how many aircraft, the types of the aircraft and so on. So far we haven’t got reply from them yet,” said U Win Swe Tun.

He added that the Myanmar Search and Rescue Team will not join the operations.

“We don’t really need to send our team but [we] will facilitate [their activities] in terms of communication and air traffic control.”

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Elainie (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014)

11. Link to Post #346
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 times in 1,378 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    If Leuren Moret's view, in Post #328, above, is anywhere close to the mark, then this missing plane could be a "hidden message" between two military powers: "Look at the fun toys we have!".
    Yes it is possible, and it can be done.

But on a plane load of Chinese? Whoa, can you just imagine what when they find out about it?!

Well folks, there's your WW3 right there!
    Last edited by Harley; 14th March 2014 at 05:18.
    Harley

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

Carmody (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Hazel (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), Operator (14th March 2014), panopticon (14th March 2014), Selene (14th March 2014), ThePythonicCow (14th March 2014)

13. Link to Post #347
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

What I'm getting from this is, that the "Malaysian government" are dismissing everything that makes sense and is credible, even from their own military. (Do govt officials have their own radar installed????) WHY? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING?? (and WHO is possibly (and probably) putting pressure on them to lie and for WHAT purpose? (Rhetorical question)

14. Link to Post #348
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 times in 692 posts

To the Thread -throng... please excuse my momentary interuptus... I know amidst a discussion of such portence...

In the name of taking in a lighter breather...
    just havta say KiwiElf:
    "am just loving" your most elegant "nice, different and uneeewsual" motif... does it have any meaning attributed to it?

Name:  26e_kath1.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  14.1 KB
    Last edited by Hazel; 14th March 2014 at 06:31.

15. Link to Post #349
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Ahem ahhh yes and thank you Recap. We (my company) designed it for a resort on Waiheke Island (a small Island just to the East of Auckland City), which means "Atea" in Maori - roughly translated as, "A place between Heaven and Earth", hence the overlapping "A" shape and the milky greenstone texture. (One day, I might get around to putting that up on my page )
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 14th March 2014 at 06:20.

16. Link to Post #350
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

May I say with sincerity and conviction (from one girl over the ditch to t'other)... thats beeewdiful and do that / Go Girl.....
    **what a magical ring it would make!

Yep and respectfully:
    Last edited by Hazel; 14th March 2014 at 06:48.

17. Link to Post #351
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,549 times in 787 posts

"Analysts from U.S. intelligence, the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board have concluded that the pings likely came from the missing aircraft, the senior U.S. official said.
    There is reason to believe the plane flew for four hours, officials said, but there is no specific indication where the plane actually is.
    Multiple bursts of data were received indicating the plane was flying over the Indian Ocean, the senior U.S. official told CNN.
    But there's another confusing twist. An emergency beacon that would have sent data upon impact apparently did not go off, the official said. The beacons, known as Emergency Locator Transmitters, activate automatically upon immersion in fresh or salt water, but must remain on the surface for a distress signal to transmit.
    The failure of the beacon to activate could mean that the plane didn't crash, that the transmitter malfunctioned, or that it's underwater somewhere."

More here on CNN:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/13/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Flash (14th March 2014), Hazel (14th March 2014), kirolak (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014)

19. Link to Post #352
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks

In all due seriousness...
    it so happens whenever I have looked to my minds eye, as to what may have become of the plane (as many have no doubt attempted)
    for what its worth... I have seen it nose diving straight down into the swallows of the ocean....

(for all concerned, I hope this is not the case...)
    Last edited by Hazel; 14th March 2014 at 07:00.

20. Link to Post #353
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Interpol and Malaysian officials are looking at a 35 year-old Uighur passenger on missing flight MH370. (The suspect passenger had previously taken flight simulation training in 2006 ?) The man has a PHD from a university in Britain and is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, at a Turkish university.

Besides extensive teaching and research experience in electronics, biomedical, and digital communications, the man had also spent slightly less than a year between 2004 and 2005 as a researcher at a training and simulation centre in Sweden. He “designed an integrated future soldier training system based on sensors, communication subsystems and integrated-helmet subsystems and performed simulations for real-time,” according to the CV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Seems to be a wrong info from The Malay Mail Online

The passenger manifest mentions a "MAIMAITIJIANG/A" who is reported as Memetjan Abdullah (Maimaitijiang Abula), a 35 year-old Uighur oil painter from Kashgar, a fabled oasis town on the old Silk Road. He was the only Uyghur chosen to join a group of two dozen Chinese painters traveling to Malaysia on an exchange program. He was traveling in the group of more than 20 Chinese calligraphers and painters honored at an exhibition at the Malaysian Oriental Arts Center in Kuala Lumpur. Mr. Abula had just won an award in Malaysia and posted a photograph of it online.
    Last edited by Atlas; 14th March 2014 at 10:41.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Elainie (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), KiwiElf (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (14th March 2014), Tesseract (14th March 2014)

22. Link to Post #354
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

23. Link to Post #355
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I just watched the Malaysian press conference that was hosted by CNN International. To clarify about the four hours of flying after the last correspondence, the Malaysian official stated again that they do not agree with the four hour window of flying after the last communication to the tower (info that was published by the Wall Street Journal reporter). They said that the information that they have comes directly from Rolls Royce--makers of the engines and Boeing. Rolls Royce would have been the ones that would know due to their ability to track the engine's performance based on new technology.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Wonder For This Post:

Atlas (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014)

25. Link to Post #356
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

FWIW, I had a strong desire to nap yesterday afternoon & could hardly keep my eyes open. As I lay down & closed my eyes, I heard a voice say. "See the plane of light!" & I saw the silhouette of an airborne plane on the bedroom carpet. . . . . have no idea what it might mean.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Flash (14th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014)

27. Link to Post #357
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Harley's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 times in 1,378 posts

Quote Posted by Star Wonder (here)
    the Malaysian official stated again that they do not agree with the four hour window of flying after the last communication to the tower

[...] Rolls Royce would have been the ones that would know due to their ability to track the engine's performance based on new technology.

This is incorrect.

If this aircraft was not a subscriber to this ACARS service, which is what was reported to us earlier (I believe by Boeing), then Rolls Royce would have never received anything from them at all.

You have to remember that Rolls Royce does not own or operate the ACARS service, they are simple another End-User.

Likewise, Boeing also would not have received any data from this aircraft's ACARS for the same reason...This aircraft was not subscribed to the service.

The one difference though is Boeing has access to the satellite's data logs/buffers, and from those they can identify any aircraft anywhere in the world that has an ACARS system installed, whether they are a paid subscriber or not. Because whenever the aircraft runs, the ACARS transmits it's data automatically. And then when the satellite receives the data it holds it in a memory buffer until it is retrieved by a Ground Station. If there is no subscription for that particular ID then the data remains in the satellite's buffer for some preset amount of time.

I'm having difficulty with anything that comes from Malaysian authorities anymore.
    Harley

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Harley For This Post:

Carmody (14th March 2014), Elainie (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Hazel (15th March 2014), kirolak (15th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), Operator (14th March 2014), panopticon (14th March 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (14th March 2014), Selene (14th March 2014)

29. Link to Post #358
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rolls-Royce, 14 March 2014

Rolls-Royce continues to provide its full support to the authorities and Malaysia Airlines. Rolls-Royce concurs with the statement made on Thursday 13 March by Malaysia's Transport Minister, Hishammuddin Hussein regarding engine health monitoring data received from the aircraft.
    http://www.rolls-royce.com/news/pres..._statement.jsp

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Elainie (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Hazel (15th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (14th March 2014), Selene (14th March 2014)

31. Link to Post #359
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,296 times in 1,783 posts

'Seismic Event' Close to Missing Jet Path: China Scientists

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mis...entists-n52516

BEIJING - A “seismic event” consistent with an airplane crash has been detected on the sea floor close to where the missing Malaysia Airlines jet lost contact with air traffic control on Saturday, Chinese scientists said Friday.

The signal detected by two stations in Malaysia appeared to indicate that a small tremor occurred on the floor of the sea at 2:55 a.m. about 95 miles south of Vietnam, the scientists said in a statement posted on the website of the University of Science and Technology of China.

"It was a non-seismic zone, therefore judging from the time and location of the event, it might be related to the missing MH370 flight," said the statement. “If it was indeed an airplane crashing into the sea, the seismic wave strength indicated that the crash process was catastrophic.”

The area where the tremor was detected about 70 miles from where the Boeing 777 was last heard from, and 85 minutes after the jet carrying 239 people lost contact, according to South China Morning Post newspaper.

Image: Map of a “seismic event” consistent with an airplane crash University of Science and Technology of China
    A map of a “seismic event” consistent with an airplane crash on the sea floor close to where missing Malaysia Airlines jet lost contact with air traffic control was released by Chinese scientists on Friday. The black star indicates where the plane lost contact, the red star where the event was detected and the blue triangles show the locations of seismic monitors. The black waves on the bottom right of the map show recording of the tremors..."
    Last edited by Roisin; 14th March 2014 at 11:38.

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roisin For This Post:

Elainie (14th March 2014), Flash (14th March 2014), Hazel (15th March 2014), Mad Hatter (17th March 2014), panopticon (14th March 2014), Selene (14th March 2014), Tesseract (14th March 2014)

33. Link to Post #360
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Further to my earlier post(s): why are these "sources" attempting to push the theory that the airplane crashed when so far, there is absolutely NO evidence to support this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 90 FirstFirst 1 8 18 28 68 90 LastLast