+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crimea referendum Sunday / EU sanctions against Russia to be implemented on Monday

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 times in 744 posts

Default Crimea referendum Sunday / EU sanctions against Russia to be implemented on Monday

The coup leaders must be quite nervous about the result as they are doing all they can to undermine the coming referendum. If the result goes against Neo-Ukraine, things could get dramatic.

Quote The parliament of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea has adopted an independence declaration from Ukraine which is necessary for holding a March 16 referendum.

“We, the members of the parliament of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the Sevastopol City Council, with regard to the charter of the United Nations and a whole range of other international documents and taking into consideration the confirmation of the status of Kosovo by the United Nations International Court of Justice on July, 22, 2010, which says that unilateral declaration of independence by a part of the country doesn’t violate any international norms, make this decision,” says the text of the declaration, which was published by the Crimean media.

The document was adopted during an extraordinary session of parliament.

78 of 100 members of the parliament voted in favor of the declaration.

The Crimean parliament’s vote to become an independent sovereign state paves the way for the March 16 referendum for the Crimean Autonomous Republic and the city of Sevastopol to join Russia.

Source

Quote German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the measures would be imposed on Monday unless diplomatic progress was made.

A Russian stock index dropped 2.6 percent and the central bank was forced to spend $1.5 billion to prop up the ruble as investors confronted the prospect that Russia could face unexpectedly serious consequences for its plans to annex Crimea.
    Will be interesting to see how Russia responds to this.

Source

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

Calz (17th March 2014), Hervé (13th March 2014), sandy (13th March 2014), Sophocles (17th March 2014), ThePythonicCow (17th March 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Default Re: Crimea referendum Sunday / EU sanctions against Russia to be implemented on Monday

“Operation Ukraine – ‘God How I Love the Smell of Psyops in the Morning”

Quote The “Ukraine” was a carefully scripted “Psyop” planned and executed, we are now finding, by players many also involved in “Operation Benghazi.”
    http://www.veteranstoday.com/2014/03...n-the-morning/

4. Link to Post #3
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Crimea referendum Sunday / EU sanctions against Russia to be implemented on Monday

I seem to recall reading that if sanctions are put on Russia, they stop using the U.S. dollar as the reserve currency. If that happens, I see things possibly getting real interesting for americans. Wonder if they'll hold off the rough times or just let it happen right off the start.

Better have couple guns/ammo or bow and alot of arrows to hunt with and better know a handful of edible wild foods.

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

There is a full blown bank run underway in Crimea as people try to secure their savings before the referendum.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

Hervé (13th March 2014)

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

So, voters decide to join with Russia. I noticed the ballot boxes were made of glass - it doesn't get much more transparent than that.

Now we will see on display the true contempt the west has for democracy as they try and tell us that even the very act of voting is 'illegal'.

8. Link to Post #6
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,650 times in 21,532 posts

A post I made on my longer term forecast thread, at What I see coming for the next few years -- Post #57, is relevant here:

The trigger has been pulled; the flag dropped; the starting gun has fired.95.7% of Crimeans Give the Finger to the White House Tyrant (Paul Craig Roberts):
    In an unprecedented turnout unmatched by any Western election, Crimeans voted 95.7% to join Russia. As I pointed out earlier today, under the twisted logic of Washington Crimea has never been a part of Ukraine as Russians were not allowed to vote when the Soviet dictator Khrushchev stuck the Russian province of Crimea into Ukraine in 1954.

While Crimeans celebrate in the streets and international observers declare the referendum to be totally fair and free of all interference and threat, the neo-Nazi White House declared that “we don’t recognize no stinking vote.” The moronic White House spokesperson said that the White House and “the international community”–Washington in its arrogance thinks that it is the voice of “the international community”–do not recognize the results of democracy in action.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Calz (17th March 2014), SJJsprite (17th March 2014), Sophocles (17th March 2014), Tesseract (17th March 2014), yuhui (17th March 2014)

10. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Calz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,379 times in 10,490 posts

This from Joseph Farrell who has a good understanding of the economic situation (at several levels) particularly from a German point of view.

We have heard some of the verbal jousting (attack on on dollar and shutting off energy to EU) if sanctions against Russia do come to pass.

This piece offers a more moderate set of considerations.

GERMAN BUSINESS LEADERS BEGIN TO BALK AT RUSSIAN SANCTIONS

Posted on March 15, 2014 by Joseph P. Farrell •

While Angela Merkel & Co., A.G. have been politely and quietly toeing the Washington party line – more or less – and sending noises about the Ukrainian crisis upsetting the world conference of G-8 nations, German businesmen have been expressing their growing concern over the noises on sanctions against Russia for its “meddling” in the Ukraine(not one, so far as I know, is talking about imposing sanctions on the USA and EU for their meddling in the Ukraine). But when German business speaks, Berlin listens, perhaps even more so than Washington, which apparently isn’t listening to much of anyone lately, unless of course one counts the NSA spying, in which case, it’s listening to everyone.

Zero Hedge is reporting the German businessmen’s concerns:

( http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed...%9D-banks-risk )

German Exporters Fire Warning Shot About Russia “Sanction-Spiral,” Banks At Risk

I want to draw your attention to these paragraphs:

Quote “It isn’t just German exporters that are fretting, and lobbying with all their might. Russia, with an economy that is already stagnating, and dogged by vicious bouts of capital flight, has $732 billion in foreign debt. Relatively little of it is sovereign debt, but nearly $700 billion is owed by banks and corporations – most of them owned or controlled by the Kremlin. Oil major Rosneft and gas mastodon Gazprom owe $90 billion combined to foreign entities; the four state banks Sberbank, VTB, VEB, and Rosselkhozbank owe $60 billion. Some of this debt matures this year and next year.

“US banks are marginally involved. Between Bank of America, Citigroup, JPMorgan, and Wells Fargo, they have only $24 billion on the line. But European banks and insurance companies are up to their dirty ears in this suddenly iffy and potentially toxic Russian debt.

“When it comes due, it will have to be rolled over, and some of the companies will need to borrow more, simply to stay afloat. Alas, the current sanction regime of visa bans for the elite, asset freezes, and trade restrictions could make that difficult. Then there’s the threat, now more broadly but still unofficially bandied about, that Russian companies should simply default on this $700 billion in debt in retaliation for the sanctions.

“Some European banks, including some German banks, might crater. Even the possibility of a major loss would further rattle the confidence in these banks with their over-leveraged and inscrutable balance sheets and their assets that are still exuding whiffs of putrefaction. And this sort of fiasco, as the financial crisis has made clear, has an unpleasant way of snowballing – and taking down the already shaky global economy with it.

“During the financial crisis, German exports collapsed, banks toppled and got bailed out, and the economy experienced its two worst quarters in the history of the Federal Republic. No politician in Germany has any appetite to re-experience that. And the banking industry, with its powerful and long tentacles winding their way through the hallways and doors of the German government, has been assiduously at work, quietly and behind the scenes, to whittle any sanctions down to irrelevance.

“Washington’s defaulting on an agreement with Russia about Ukraine’s future, and the prospect of NATO troops in Ukraine, convinced Putin and much of the Russian elite that there’s no point in negotiating with the US.”

It’s that last statement – that the Russian elite is convinced there is no point in negotiating with the US – that concerns us. In my opinion, the USA has clearly embarked on a course of action designed to make Russia submit to Washington’s unipolar, New World Order will. But, as is pointed out, there are costs involved: major European, largely German, and American banks and corporations have major interest in Russia. A breach in relations now would endanger those interests for all three parties, Germany, the USA, and Russia. And such a breach would seriously cripple Germany’s economy, and hence, that of Europe.

This puts Germany in to a delicate diplomatic position, one fraught with opportunity, and danger, for Germany is positioned – again – to be a diplomatic go-between between Washington and Moscow. Failure of Berlin to communicate Russia’s legitimate interest to Washington would only fuel the growing opinion in Europe that their influence and voice count for nothing in Washington. And that would only serve, in the long term, to convince Europeans to increase their independence from Washington.

The more dangerous scenario – the high octane component – is this: the Ukrainian situation may have twin objectives, the obvious one being to open that country to Western(re. American) looting and dominance. But the more hidden objective would be to impose Washington’s will on a Germany that increasingly has acted with more independence. Insisting on sanctions could seriously cripple the German and hence EU economy, and in that weakened condition, Washington could step in and offer “trade agreements,” meaning a tighter grip by Washington on Europe.

In the short run, of course, it would work. But in the long run, it creates even more ill-will towards Washington as it extends the dictatus Americanae to Europe even more tightly.

Regardless of which route one envisions here, in my opinion, one thing seems evident, and that is unless the current insanity of covert operations led by NGOs, radical rebels in “liberation” efforts that have become Washington’s standard means of dealing both with friends and enemies, is changed, the only result will be the creation of a world-wide resentment and mistrust.

As for the USA, it bears repeating once again: drone strikes against leaders or other people a regime does not like, covert operations, assassinations, and proxies – the whole miserable game – are operational tactics not reserved to Washington’s exclusive use alone.

And ultimately, that is a game the Washington oligarchs cannot win.

See you on the flip side

http://gizadeathstar.com/2014/03/ger...ian-sanctions/
    Last edited by Calz; 17th March 2014 at 08:12.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calz For This Post:

Shikasta (17th March 2014), SJJsprite (17th March 2014), Snowflower (18th March 2014), Sophocles (17th March 2014), Tesseract (17th March 2014), ThePythonicCow (17th March 2014)

12. Link to Post #8
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,650 times in 21,532 posts

Update - the final tally announced by the head of the referendum election commission, Mikhail Malyshev was 96.8% in favor of splitting from Ukraine.

See further http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report...russia-1969990
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 18th March 2014 at 05:47.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Calz (17th March 2014), Tesseract (17th March 2014)

14. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,405 times in 1,922 posts

The only thing clear here is that TPTB are trying very hard to start WWIII by any means and different fronts.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camilo For This Post:

Calz (17th March 2014), Tesseract (17th March 2014)

16. Link to Post #10
    Greece Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 times in 519 posts

Quote Posted by Camilo (here)
    The only thing clear here is that TPTB are trying very hard to start WWIII by any means and different fronts.
    Either WWIII OR Economic Meltdown. They can say Russia crashed the Euro and then the Dollar SO its Russian fault we crashed,it isnt the systems fault. I am sure many will accept that and blame Russia for it. o.O

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Etherios For This Post:

Tesseract (17th March 2014)

18. Link to Post #11
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

Think like an interventionist here people. The idea is not to create war. War, especially global war, destroys capital and resources. World War III? No. Cold war? Closer.
    What's going to create the greatest number of jobs and keep the greatest number of proles happily sedate?

Yup. Lower the iron curtain again. That way, wars can safely happen by proxy in 3rd world countries, and the economy can kickstart or "reset" on both sides of the globe. There won't be missiles in the Ukraine. But I will guarantee there will be more funding poured into military bases, which in turn creates more jobs. (You gotta feed, clothe, arm the soldiers.)

I can hear that black budget expanding like a fat chick in a size 3 evening gown at an all you can eat Chinese buffet.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

T Smith (18th March 2014), Tesseract (17th March 2014), Wind (18th March 2014)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Little tidbit of interesting information:

my local newspaper ran an article about a special forces soldier who has just been called away for 2 weeks (might not have been two weeks, I can't remember exactly) of special training. He said that the training program was to simulate battle in a caucus state.
    Last edited by Tesseract; 17th March 2014 at 23:46. Reason: grammar

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

Sophocles (18th March 2014)

22. Link to Post #13
    Tip of the neuron's tendril watching the sparks fly...
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,215 times in 421 posts

Let's remember that most if not all wars are really all about resource control. Russia is mostly isolated with regards to major ports. Crimea is strategic in that it is Russia's access to the Mediterranean. I'm not saying that the Crimean people don't want to be part of Russia. For all I know the vast majority do but 95%+ yes vote seems extremely suspect to me. Forget about the minority Tartars that have protested by not voting (useless protest IMO). Think about the Russian troops that have invaded the area. Russia claims that these are pro-Russian Ukrainians but if you believe that then I got a bridge to sell you. In reality there are Russian troops without insignia and various mercenary groups from places like Serbia have come to "keep order". Do you think any pro-Ukrainians would dare go to the polls and risk being beaten to death? Why are mercenaries manning checkpoints in Crimea?

Let me end by saying that I believe that the US caused the Coup that took Kiev. So the US started this mess and Russia is protecting it's extremely valuable port. The real victims are the Ukrainians that will fight our proxy war. Both Russia and the US are using illegal tactics to play puppet master. Not sure why many on here are painting this rosy picture of Russia. It uses the same control tactics of media and false political justification to secure resources in the never ending chess game of world domination.

End Rant.
    (Insert signature here)

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Octavusprime For This Post:

outerheaven (18th March 2014), Sophocles (18th March 2014), T Smith (18th March 2014)

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 times in 1,676 posts

Quote Posted by Milneman (here)
    Think like an interventionist here people. The idea is not to create war. War, especially global war, destroys capital and resources. World War III? No. Cold war? Closer.
    What's going to create the greatest number of jobs and keep the greatest number of proles happily sedate?

Yup. Lower the iron curtain again. That way, wars can safely happen by proxy in 3rd world countries, and the economy can kickstart or "reset" on both sides of the globe. There won't be missiles in the Ukraine. But I will guarantee there will be more funding poured into military bases, which in turn creates more jobs. (You gotta feed, clothe, arm the soldiers.)

I can hear that black budget expanding like a fat chick in a size 3 evening gown at an all you can eat Chinese buffet.
    Not so much for jobs, per se. (Who really cares about the proles, anyway?) But to feed the military industrial complex, yes. If there are jobs created, this is but a unintended consequence.

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Octavusprime (here)
    Let's remember that most if not all wars are really all about resource control. Russia is mostly isolated with regards to major ports. Crimea is strategic in that it is Russia's access to the Mediterranean. I'm not saying that the Crimean people don't want to be part of Russia. For all I know the vast majority do but 95%+ yes vote seems extremely suspect to me. Forget about the minority Tartars that have protested by not voting (useless protest IMO). Think about the Russian troops that have invaded the area. Russia claims that these are pro-Russian Ukrainians but if you believe that then I got a bridge to sell you. In reality there are Russian troops without insignia and various mercenary groups from places like Serbia have come to "keep order". Do you think any pro-Ukrainians would dare go to the polls and risk being beaten to death? Why are mercenaries manning checkpoints in Crimea?

Let me end by saying that I believe that the US caused the Coup that took Kiev. So the US started this mess and Russia is protecting it's extremely valuable port. The real victims are the Ukrainians that will fight our proxy war. Both Russia and the US are using illegal tactics to play puppet master. Not sure why many on here are painting this rosy picture of Russia. It uses the same control tactics of media and false political justification to secure resources in the never ending chess game of world domination.

End Rant.

Just some comments - although I do agree with the essence of what you wrote:

95 % is a little high - if the 20 % who didn't vote were basically exercising their right to boycott, then you could say that the real value should be 75 % support, maybe closer to the mark. I am not so sure that voting for the Ukrainian option would have been so dangerous - especially since there was no reason to fear such votes since they were always going to be in the minority.

I still haven't read a real explanation as to why the wording of the ticket somehow didn't allow for any other choice than to join the Russian Federation. Anyone who didn't want to join Russia only had to pick the option of maintaining autonomy within Ukraine.

The media is giving the suggestion that this is entirely split down ethnic lines (that is an old strategy used to divide, of course). I am not sure how much truth there is to this. For example, if there were a referendum in my country to seek independence from England - I would vote for that, even though the media would say that I am ethnically British... I have been to Russia and met numerous people of Ukrainian ancestry - and it is certainly not as if having such ethnicity automatically means you don't like Russia.. So, my point is, that even non russians may well have voted to join Russia in significant numbers.

The media has almost refused to acknowledge that Russia didn't start this - in fact they did everything possible to maintain the status quo in Ukraine. When the new government in Kiev declared the majority of the people of Crimea to be second class citizens, then the calls for self determination naturally enough began. Was the move by Russia more Machiavellian than sympathetic - most likely - but they have a good logical supporting case for their actions, which is why the opposing international community has been so enfeebled.

Personally, I think there is a lot to be said for using geographical borders as international borders - under such Crimea would be part of Ukraine [unless Russia annexes some more coastline..] - or an independent state (which it actually was for a couple of days). I am not sure of the official status within Russia, but Crimea may stay a republic and even have it's own president - Russia has regions, territories and republics all within the federation, and each with different levels of autonomy.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

Octavusprime (20th March 2014)

+ Reply to Thread