+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From Atom to Cosmos (Itzhak Bentov)

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 times in 768 posts

Default From Atom to Cosmos (Itzhak Bentov)

Where science and spirituality meet indeed...

The following video was first brought to my attention elsewhere by Finefeather last year, but I felt it deserved its own thread. On that note; many thanks to Finefeather for sharing this remarkable gem.

The first ~20 minutes features an interview with Itzhak Bentov himself, and the remainder is dedicated to a summary/presentation of his work and theories. It covers consciousness, perceptual reality, particle physics, and much more.

Many of you will undoubtedly be familiar with several of the concepts, but I daresay there are at least a few insights along the way which will be new (unless of course you have seen this already, or read his books). At any rate, I'd welcome personal thoughts and feedback from you all relating to any facet of the content.

A bit of a disclaimer, issued by the presenter following the interview portion which, IMO, is indicative of a wise and thoughtful approach by Mr. Bentov (paraphrasing);

"...whenever he talked about these matters, he never claimed this to be any sort of ultimate teaching. He spoke about this as a working model. He would say; 'I speak from my present level of ignorance.'"

Also, although there are many potentially valuable nuggets of wisdom along the way, my favorite quote is:

"Love is the glue of the universe".

Things get really wild (yet amazing) when she delves into Itzhak's ideas regarding the modular structure of both consciousness and the cosmos (starting at around the 1 hr 20 min mark). Personally, given the immense and near-inconceivable nature of what he was attempting to describe, I doubt all of his conclusions about the broadest/deepest realities (given at the very end) are cut and dry or absolute fact. Still, it is truly quite fascinating.

I look forward to hearing any input you guys might have.

Be well, and enjoy.
    Last edited by Freed Fox; 18th March 2014 at 21:02.
    Mercy, forgiveness, and compassion are the most virtuous forms of love
    Let your heart not be hardened by injustice and tribulation

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Freed Fox For This Post:

AlaBil (13th April 2014), Alekahn2 (19th March 2014), chocolate (19th March 2014), Eram (19th March 2014), Finefeather (19th March 2014), Inaiá (4th April 2014), Jeffrey (19th May 2014), learninglight (22nd March 2014), linksplatinum (18th March 2014), Muzz (22nd March 2014), naste.de.lumina (4th April 2014), sandy (19th March 2014), StandingWave (5th April 2014), Star Tsar (18th March 2014), Wind (19th March 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: From Atom to Cosmos (Itzhak Bentov)

You may read this thread from 2011:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...141#post322141

The thread is dead, but is open. The story continues and is still in development.
    But these developments are now done in Dutch language and not translated.

Red Skywalker
    Last edited by Red Skywalker; 19th March 2014 at 06:39.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red Skywalker For This Post:

Eram (19th March 2014), Freed Fox (19th March 2014), seko (5th April 2014), StandingWave (5th April 2014), Star Tsar (19th March 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

Some would say
    'as below so above',
    or was it the other way around

Thank you Freed Fox!

* So than, I should be considered as a very 'spiritual' chocolate. *

~~~

I decided to share this information here, hope you don't mind? -->

The First Org Chart Ever Made Is a Masterpiece of Data Design

Look at most of organizational charts today and you’ll see the standard top-down pyramid flowing linearly from the big dog down to lower-level managers and minions. But the first modern-day organizational chart wasn’t made to remind lower-level employees who they really work for. No, one of the first company-wide organizational charts was actually a 19th century invention of necessity.

Back in the mid-1800s, the Erie Railroad was a thriving but disorganized company responsible for transporting goods throughout the Northeast. The railroad company had more than 500 miles of track, making it one of the largest of its time. This was good for business, but bad for organization.

Today we deal with inconceivably large amounts of data that is made comprehensible only by modern technology. Back in the 19th century, big data meant something entirely different, but managing it was as vital then as it is today.
    http://www.wired.com/design/2014/03/...-19th-century/
    Last edited by chocolate; 19th March 2014 at 13:55.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

Cara (19th March 2014), Freed Fox (19th March 2014), genevieve (19th March 2014), seko (5th April 2014), StandingWave (5th April 2014), Star Tsar (19th March 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Freed Fox (here)
    Things get really wild (yet amazing) when she delves into Itzhak's ideas regarding the modular structure of both consciousness and the cosmos (starting at around the 1 hr 20 min mark).
    I want to give a quick - albeit rough - overview of how Itzhak perceived the structure of the universe and the cosmos during his experiences in higher states of consciousness, for those unable to view the video, and alternatively to (hopefully) entice those who might be on the fence. Although it is nearly two hours in length, I strongly suggest that it is well worth the time.

He described the universe as appearing like a seed or egg in its structure:

As matter flows out from the central point (arguably, a 'singularity' of sorts), it evolves (as does consciousness).

'Zooming out' so to speak, he saw something like this:

The DNA-like spiral is made up of many universes linked together in a strand. To be exact, each of the seven 'rungs' of the spiral was composed of seven universes, making a total of 49 universes in our cosmos. He recognized what appeared to be the first letter of the Hebrew alphabet at the top, representing a 'godhead' of sorts, but was told that his interpretation was backwards. The seers of ancient times had perceived these things as well, and incorporated them into the Hebrew language.

He perceived the apical structure/symbol to represent wisdom.

Stepping out further; what is beyond the level of cosmos?

Really makes one wonder...
    Last edited by Freed Fox; 22nd March 2014 at 18:30.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Freed Fox For This Post:

AlaBil (13th April 2014), Eram (23rd March 2014), Flash (22nd March 2014), learninglight (22nd March 2014), naste.de.lumina (4th April 2014), Red Skywalker (29th March 2014), seko (5th April 2014), StandingWave (5th April 2014), Star Tsar (22nd March 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,705 times in 8,941 posts

This is truly amazing, extremely well explained albeit complex at times. I will definitely dwelve in his work. Many thanks Freed Fox. And thanks for the 2011 thread Red Skywalker. I am bookmarking everything.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Freed Fox (23rd March 2014), naste.de.lumina (4th April 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

(Would be shameless self promotion, but it's not my material...)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Freed Fox For This Post:

naste.de.lumina (4th April 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member cloud9's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,796 times in 663 posts

Great video, thanks a lot for sharing it, also the lady does a great job explaining the material.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cloud9 For This Post:

Freed Fox (5th April 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Thank you for this pointer Freed Fox and Finefeather!

The diagrams of close-packed spheres in your post above, Freed Fox, could be straight out of Buckminster-Fuller's Synergetics. The close packing of seven circles in a plane is the core of Sacred Geometry. Charles Gilchrist has some beautiful videos introducing these concepts in SG.

Have you encountered 'Synergetics' before? I have been aware of it for an age already but, despite having delved into it often, have not yet had a chance to really dedicate the necessary attention to reading it through.

There are a few threads on Avalon that mention this work - a search for 'synergetics' returns twelve instances. Profoundly clarifying.

I look forward to viewing the video interview you reference in OP.
    "There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." R. Buckminster Fuller

16. The Following User Says Thank You to StandingWave For This Post:

Freed Fox (5th April 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Thanks for the comments.

StandingWave, I have not delved into Synergetics either, but have seen it mentioned (along with Buckminster-Fuller himself). I might have to check it out.

Has anyone here read Itzhak Bentov's books? I'm wondering if the video in the OP is an exhaustive presentation of that material, or a general overview? Do the books cover more material, or the same in considerably more detail? I agree with cloud9 in that the presenter does an excellent job with the presentation, so I don't feel much need to retread it in written form (if that is what it would essentially amount to). I'd like to hear how it compares, if anyone cares to elucidate.

Then again, I might end up wrangling those books up anyway.

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

It's a good book. Although I have to admit I haven't finished it yet, it is sitting right here, it's funny that you bring it up because I just found it the other day.
    It demands your attention to pay attention while he tries to explain things in science/meta or presudo, but once you get the the end of a `describing` you kind of get where he's going and what he may be etching it out to be.. a little hard to read because of that, but it's a good book.
    He's very humble but has a set idea, like I think we all do, and.... Ideas do change.

It's not something that I personally enjoyed right off the bat, but I believe if one sets their mind to it and just sees what he's saying, it will be a gem. The diagrams are really neat too, I'm gonna pick it up again. The person who got me to get the book really, really enjoyed it, & made me make art because if it lol

I hope you will too

Glad to have you back!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to nenosema For This Post:

Freed Fox (11th April 2014)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Hi nenosema, are you referring to one of Bentov's books, or one of Fuller's?

Thank you for your feedback, as well as the beautiful picture!

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

The book is `Stalking the Wild Pendulum` by Itzhak Bentov

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nenosema For This Post:

Freed Fox (12th April 2014), Star Tsar (4th May 2014)

23. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Bumping this just once more, seeing as last time it appeared to have caught the attention of a couple additional people. I do think that just about anyone can find something at least thought-provoking within the video, if not indeed profound.

The length is daunting, but you can always view it in chunks and mentally 'bookmark' your place for later. Odds are, if you get started on this one, you'll want to come back for the rest.

Still welcoming any thoughts and/or discussion from anyone so inclined.

+ Reply to Thread