+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More lies and Misinformation from Corporate Medicine

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Default More lies and Misinformation from Corporate Medicine

I was at the gym today and there was a popular morning talk show on. The hosts were having a discussion with "Health Professionals" regarding a new study that states that there appears to be NO benefits from eating a diet that is low in saturated fats and high in polyunsaturated fats..In other words, don't worry about eating olive oil, fish oil or krill oil, now you can go for the lard and it won't suffer a bit.
    US health care is big, big business.I have read that it is 17-23% of the GDP. It is really in the interest of Corporate America to keep its' citizens unhealthy. This blatant propaganda is mind blowing. It goes against everything I have studied from reputable nutritionists. I think the idea is to get people so confused that they just give up.

I found this article on the web at CNN News:

Many health organizations, including the American Heart Association, recommend eating polyunsaturated fatty acids – particularly those called omega-3s and omega-6s – for heart health. But new research once again casts doubt on whether these fatty acids have any effect on reducing your risk of heart disease.

A meta-analysis published Monday in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine did not find significant evidence to support eating a diet high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and low in saturated fats. It didn't seem to matter whether the fats came from dietary sources or supplements.

"Current evidence does not clearly support guidelines that encourage high consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids and low consumption of total saturated fats," the study authors concluded.

And a second study, published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine, found that supplementing a diet with long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids did not reduce study participants' heart disease risk.

Background

Fatty fish such as salmon, trout and herring all have high levels of polyunsaturated fats; so do nuts, seeds and several vegetable oils, according to the American Heart Association. Monounsaturated fats can be found in olive oil, canola oil, avocados and peanut butter, for example. The AHA recommends that most fats you eat be polyunsaturated or monounsaturated.

A meta-analysis looks at past studies to see if patterns in the data hold up across many experiments. In that sense, the research method is stronger than just one study. But there could be inaccuracies and biases in the individual studies analyzed, as well as methodological differences among them that make conclusions about the combined findings more complicated.

The first study

For this new meta-analysis published in Annals of Internal Medicine, researchers reviewed a large spectrum of studies on the subject: 32 observational studies looking at fatty acids from dietary intake, 17 observational studies of fatty acid biomarkers, and 27 randomized, controlled trials examining fatty acid supplementation.

Focusing on the randomized trials of supplementation, the meta-analysis found that long-chain omega-3 and omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids did not reduce the likelihood of coronary events. But further study of this subject is warranted, researchers wrote, as "the available evidence is generally limited."

The meta-analysis found no consistent association between a person's total saturated fatty acid intake and his or her coronary risk. Researchers also did not find an association between monounsaturated fatty acid consumption and coronary risk.

The second study

A second study published Monday also failed to find fatty acids lead to a risk reduction in cardiovascular events.

Research in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine found that supplementing a diet with long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids did not reduce a person's risk of cardiovascular disease. Researchers analyzed data from 4,203 elderly people with age-related macular degeneration.

So what's going on? There are a few shortcomings in this study, Dr. Evangelos Rizos and Dr. Evangelia Ntzani wrote in an accompanying commentary. For instance, 20% of the study participants had known cardiovascular disease, and participants were aware of which treatment they were receiving. The authors also did not publish information about participants' triglyceride levels, which are thought to be reduced by omega-3 supplementation.

Given the lack of evidence in previous studies for omega-3 supplementation, Rizos and Ntzani said that more similar randomized trials would be "unjustified." They instead call for a meta-analysis and for trials that "focus on the remaining gaps of knowledge" such as studying the effect of high doses of omega-3s on patients with high levels of triglycerides.

Takeaway

"Patients raising the question of taking omega-3 supplements should be informed of the uncertainty surrounding their choice, and regular dietary consumption of (whole) fish should be preferentially encouraged as a source (of these fatty acids)" instead of supplements, Rizos and Ntzani wrote.

International guidelines do not agree on how much, and which types, of fatty acids are best to eat. There is no reason to change the current guidelines put forth by the American Heart Association, said Linda Van Horn, spokeswoman for the AHA. She said this study's results are not surprising.

The general advice - avoid trans fats, reduce saturated fat, increase intake of fruits, vegetables and whole grains - still stands, Van Horn said.

Duffy MacKay, senior vice president for scientific and regulatory affairs at the Council for Responsible Nutrition, said in a statement that the researchers of the Annals of Internal Medicine study raise an "interesting viewpoint" but a "potentially irresponsible one."

"Unfortunately, their conclusions, if taken to heart, leave consumers to rely on genetics and fate to avoid coronary heart disease – an unacceptable situation given the fact that the scientific literature contains so many studies that point to benefit for omega-3 fatty acids," MacKay said.

The AHA is holding a national meeting this week; experts there will have the opportunity to "consider what this paper means," Van Horn said.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bluegrass (20th March 2014), bruno dante (20th March 2014), DeDukshyn (19th March 2014), Gardener (20th March 2014), halffull (19th March 2014), Lifebringer (19th March 2014), markpierre (20th March 2014), Mercedes (20th March 2014), Shikasta (19th March 2014), ulli (20th March 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

Default Re: More lies and Misinformation from Corporate Medicine

corporate medicine is, well, corporate; next to the war machine all drugs are the biggest money-makers in the world (the 'illegal' kind seem to bring the most revenue- ask any pre-paid mafia shill how easy it is to smuggle drugs anywhere)-

"every't'ing is legal until you get caught"- Irish saying- complete with regional accent-

the Weston A. Price Foundation wasn't founded for nothing; we're supposed to have high cholesterol levels (both kinds) because the heart muscle in later years draws on collected cholesterol levels to heal itself; Statin drugs are a pharmaceutical scam and they lead to increased cardio-vascular problems (but don't worry: the pharma industry will suck your bank accounts dry under the bogus pretense of 'healing' you)-

I could go on forever about the evil machinations behind the medical/pharma industry but will spare all readers too much 'stress'-

Larry

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

bruno dante (20th March 2014), DeDukshyn (19th March 2014), Earth Angel (20th March 2014), fourty-two (21st March 2014), Mercedes (20th March 2014), PurpleLama (19th March 2014), ulli (20th March 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Bayer purposely formulates their vitamin products to be detrimental to your heart health specifically ... hoping you will be on some prescription aspirin therapy later in life ... paid for by insurance.

I could go on for pages ....
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

bruno dante (20th March 2014), Gardener (20th March 2014), Mercedes (20th March 2014), ulli (20th March 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 times in 258 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    Bayer purposely formulates their vitamin products to be detrimental to your heart health specifically ... hoping you will be on some prescription aspirin therapy later in life ... paid for by insurance.

I could go on for pages ....

Bayer has a vitamin line???. Isn't that a bit like Satan selling holy water?

Sheesh, what's next? The Monsanto Multivitamin? Yikes, it's alliterative. It's almost catchy! Oh sh!t...

I can see it now: The Monsanto "Terminator" Vitamin -- a bottle would consist of only one tablet, and you'd have to go back daily for your fix. And they'd lobby higher ups to make the ingredients unknown. Wait, you wanna know what poisonous sh!t is in this thing? Well, too bad...

Oh, and whatever river your bowel movement winds up in....Monsanto now owns that river. No, you say? Well we'll see you in court then, won't we?

P.s. side effects include coughing, constipation, itching n scratching, swelling of the breasts, an increased risk of stroke or heart attack.................
    Last edited by bruno dante; 20th March 2014 at 03:34.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bruno dante For This Post:

DeDukshyn (20th March 2014), Gardener (20th March 2014), markpierre (20th March 2014), ulli (20th March 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Brakeman's Avatar
    Thanks

Medicine is an industry no different than any other.

It's peculiar how little that is taken notice of by the coffee-sippers.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brakeman For This Post:

ulli (20th March 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

Bayer has a vitamin line???. Isn't that a bit like Satan selling holy water?

Who blessed the water? Sorry. Couldn't help it.
    If he undercuts the church he's doing the right thing.

I hope no one is too shocked at the idea that the truth is irrelevant to salesmen.
    I enjoy s******g in their river. That's my blessing on them.
    Last edited by markpierre; 20th March 2014 at 09:52.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

bruno dante (20th March 2014), DeDukshyn (20th March 2014), ulli (20th March 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

whenever some expert with lots of letters after his name shows up on MSM with a new 'health study', do a search to find the university he is affiliated with..then do a search to see who is funding that research, providing grant moneys and paying for his speaking fee.
    It will almost ALWAYS be a pharmaceutical company.
    We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
    Calloway

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ki's For This Post:

DeDukshyn (20th March 2014), Gardener (20th March 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

I've noticed all over mainstream news lately ( via Yahoo.com) that they are promoting Oil Pulling , which I think is very good for our health, but when I mentioned it to my husband his first reaction was " If mainstream media is pushing it they must be up to something".....I know this is an ancient therapy and from what I read very good for much more than your teeth, but I do wonder why the sudden interest from MSM.....its showing up all over facebook as well.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

donk (20th March 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

Speaking of Facebook my friend the pediatrician has been pushing articles about Americans believing "medical conspiracy theories" and how upset she is people refuse to vaccinate their children.

It's important to try to defuse the "battle" or sides or argument, and remind our fellow that we are all in this together (even those working "against" us, like med salesmen--they have bodies too, ya know?) and to try to share perspectives rather than fighting to "be right".

+ Reply to Thread