+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UFO detector...?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

Default UFO detector...?

Has anyone had any experience with UFO detectors? Such a device assumes a number of things, but anyway...

I'm going to build at least two types this year. For nostalgic reasons one will be from Flying Saucer Review, Sep/Oct 1968 (If anyone is considering building it, there is a known error on the circuit, TR4 is shown upside-down.)

The other will be a much more modern design using a magnetometer and based on this design which is probably a very similar circuit to those available on Amazon.

There are other designs out there I may attempt to build too.

As an open-minded skeptic it will be interesting to discover what they detect. Almost certainly just the natural changes in the Earth's magnetic field following a CME, but you never know do you?

UFOs supposedly are surrounded by strong magnetic fields - at least that was the thinking in the 1960s and 1970s when it was noted that petrol-driven vehicles but not diesel ones stalled during a close encounter. But perhaps UFOs have changed their propulsion mechanisms since then...

According to Flying Saucer Review, there was supposed to be a 'network' of the detectors across the UK in the late 1960s/early 1970s contributing to research. Presumably nothing came of this or we'd know about it. Seems to me such a network would be easy to do now that the majority of the population is online, and may actually discover something useful.

So... has anyone bought one or made one in the past 50 years? Any thoughts?

Nick
    Last edited by Nick Matkin; 3rd April 2014 at 15:46.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Axman (3rd April 2014), GreenGuy (3rd April 2014), Nasu (4th April 2014), Operator (3rd April 2014), Sunny-side-up (3rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (3rd April 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Default Re: UFO detector...?

OC71 ? .... Oh, boy I remember taking those out of old radios as a young teenager when I had no money to buy new transistors.

I wonder what happens if e.g. a police patrol car passes by while using their mobile transceiver ... it will probably pick up those
    EM signals in a broad spectrum too. Perhaps it needs a low-pass filter to get rid of the EM smog to eliminate false detections.
    But will quasi static (my assumption) magnetic anomalies be picked up by a coil ? Or do you expect a frequency component ?

What would be typical for a flying disc presence?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Operator For This Post:

Axman (3rd April 2014), Nasu (4th April 2014), Nick Matkin (3rd April 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member GreenGuy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 times in 424 posts

I've read that night-vision glasses can detect many flying objects that we can't see in visible light. This makes sense to me because my experience indicates that UFOs are very capable of cloaking. Question: if a detector detects a cloaked craft and shows a magnetic anomaly, how do you know what you've detected? Sounds like an interesting project, and I hope to hear how it works out.
    Dammit, honey! You left the seat down again!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenGuy For This Post:

Axman (3rd April 2014), Nick Matkin (3rd April 2014), Operator (3rd April 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

@ Operator: Well, like I said there are an awful lot of assumptions here! I doubt it's particularly sensitive to RF - in fact I doubt it's particularly sensitive to anything!

Germanium transistors - yes, you must be about the same vintage as me.

Incidentally, apparently there are people who think that point-contact germanium transistors were back-engineered after Roswell, simply because they first 'appeared' shortly after the crash. Imagine, an interstellar space craft using germanium transistors!!

Some folks have absolutely no idea...

@ Greenguy: I've had prolonged access to night-vision glasses. Yes, you can see stuff not visible to the naked eye, but I only saw stuff like satellites below the threshold of normal visibility, and very faint meteors. However, some observers using them report seeing objects that do 90 degree turns, sudden stops, and circles, all of which require explanation.

Nick

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Axman (3rd April 2014), GreenGuy (3rd April 2014), Operator (3rd April 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Do you guys ever wonder if the neutrino observatories double as UFO scanners?

@_@*

We already know that they double as nuke detectors.

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Sloppyjoe's Avatar
    Thanks

Just like another poster said, the only thing I am aware of is those night vision goggles Ed Grimsley uses.
    I miss those days when we played as kids. No worries about our future, no enemies. Now I close my eyes, trying to go back there with my mind. Oh how I wish I could relive those old times again.

11. Link to Post #7
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,108 times in 521 posts

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Aurelius For This Post:

guyres (4th April 2014)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Well, my UFO detector is completed, and based on the 1490 compass sensor. It easily detects the magnetic field from a magnet waved about 2 to 3 feet (nearly 1 metre) away.

All I need now is for a UFO (whatever they are) to demonstrate that they actually produce a magnetic field that is detectable with a compass-like device. There is plenty of info to suggest they do have strong magnetic fields (able to stall petrol cars, but not diesel cars in close encounters - allegedly) so I must wait and see...

Nick

+ Reply to Thread