+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mapping More Than a Century of Major Earthquakes Around the World

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

Default Mapping More Than a Century of Major Earthquakes Around the World

I thought that you fellow researchers should see this! Though note that according to Dutchsinse the list is missing these quakes: Virginia East Coast 5.9M from 2011 and 7.9M at Hebgen Lake Montana from 1959!

Mapping More Than a Century of Major Earthquakes Around the World

It must be frustrating to be hit by a huge earthquake, and then have experts inform you that the "Big One" might still be coming. Yet that's part of life in Chile: Despite being rocked by a major temblor earlier this month, the country seems to have gotten off relatively easy this time. As one geophysicist said: "Could be tomorrow, could be in 50 years; we do not know when it's going to occur. But the key point here is that this magnitude-8.2 is not the large earthquake that we were expecting for this area."

That's because this part of the world has a massive amount of energy stored in constantly butting tectonic plates. In fact, it can claim ownership to the largest earthquake ever measured by modern equipment, the Great Chile Earthquake of May 22, 1960. That catastrophe left 2 million people homeless and killed others as far away as Hawaii and Japan with a towering tsunami. And over the decades South America's western coast has shaken and trembled like Jell-O under the force of numerous other quakes, which is the case for any place sited above shifting fault zones.

Thanks to the hard work of innumerable researchers and the U.S. Geological Survey, we can see all the hot spots for seismic activity in Chile and elsewhere since 1900. They've put together a gigantic map of quakes that measured above 5.5 magnitude, color and size-coded to indicate power and depth. What's instantly apparent is that the shaking sticks close to the various plate boundaries, depicted as yellow lines, as do volcanoes shown as yellow triangles. Here's the full key:

Now look at how much activity has occurred near the tectonic boundary off South America's coast over the past century. Those black-white circles indicate behemoth quakes, like the 1922 one on the Chilean-Argentinian border that killed hundreds, spawned a tidal wave, and sent earth shivers that were measurable up in San Francisco:

How has the United States fared over the decades? The eastern portion's been quite calm, aside from one medium-sized event in 2006 in the Gulf of Mexico that shook swimming pools in Florida. Out West is where things begin to get hairy, with a long line of seismic violence stretching from the Mexican border up to Alaska (and by association, down through Central America and across to Russia):

Southeast Asia's been absolutely pounded over history:

As has Japan – you can hardly see it under all these quake indicators:

Things have been relatively less exciting around the Mediterranean, although Italy, Greece, and Turkey have had their fair share of quakes and volcanoes:

You can download the full map here, though be warned that at 147 MB it will be a beast for your smartphone.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Alpha (22nd April 2014), Antagenet (3rd May 2015), Atlas (23rd April 2014), bennycog (23rd April 2014), Cara (23rd April 2014), Ellisa (23rd April 2014), Fairy Friend (22nd April 2014), fourty-two (23rd April 2014), halffull (22nd April 2014), joeecho (22nd April 2014), justntime2learn (3rd June 2015), naste.de.lumina (23rd April 2014), Rocky_Shorz (23rd April 2014), seko (22nd April 2014), spiritwind (23rd April 2014), Star Tsar (26th May 2015), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd April 2014), tessie999 (23rd April 2014), wnlight (23rd April 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Default Re: Mapping More Than a Century of Major Earthquakes Around the World

the Med is a scary-ass place -- the birthplace of Atlantis mythos, most likely, due to proximity to Africa...

so many islands have disappeared in that region.

and I read once that Vancouver island formed when a microplate FLIPPED OVER.

so the USA has more tricks up its seismic sleeve

this is a cool topic.

p.s. please read about 1755 Lisabona quake holy god @_@ that was a bad one

Quote The 1755 Lisbon earthquake, also known as the Great Lisbon Earthquake, occurred in the Kingdom of Portugal on Saturday, 1 November 1755, the holiday of All Saints' Day, at around 09:40 local time.[1] In combination with subsequent fires and a tsunami, the earthquake almost totally destroyed Lisbon and adjoining areas. Seismologists today estimate the Lisbon earthquake had a magnitude in the range 8.5–9.0[2][3] on the moment magnitude scale, with its epicentre in the Atlantic Ocean about 200 km (120 mi) west-southwest of Cape St. Vincent. Estimates place the death toll in Lisbon alone between 10,000 and 100,000 people,[4] making it one of the deadliest earthquakes in history.

The earthquake accentuated political tensions in the Kingdom of Portugal and profoundly disrupted the country's colonial ambitions. The event was widely discussed and dwelt upon by European Enlightenment philosophers, and inspired major developments in theodicy and in the philosophy of the sublime. As the first earthquake studied scientifically for its effects over a large area, it led to the birth of modern seismology and earthquake engineering.

4. Link to Post #3
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,602 times in 1,157 posts

This chart is also very telling.

We have had at least 58 quakes over magnitude 7 this year. We have had 5 quakes over magnitude 7. And 2 quakes over 8 in April alone. Already not fitting on the chart. I am still not earthquake ready.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Alpha (22nd April 2014), Antagenet (3rd May 2015), Cara (23rd April 2014), Ellisa (23rd April 2014), justntime2learn (3rd June 2015), spiritwind (23rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd April 2014), Wind (22nd April 2014), wnlight (23rd April 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member seeker/reader's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 times in 540 posts

As for the original post, I am sorry but I don't really find anything too surprising from this. The majority of earthquakes occur along convergent plate boundaries, as the scientific field of geology would suggest. The bigger quakes happen along subduction zones, where mega thrusts would be expected to occur.
    Last edited by seeker/reader; 22nd April 2014 at 20:42.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seeker/reader For This Post:

Fairy Friend (22nd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd April 2014), Wind (22nd April 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Sometime the big ones happen on a Transform (poorly mapped or young) fault.

I think the Lisbon EQ region is still poorly understood.
    There are a few other trouble spots around the globe where the fault is POORLY defined, i.e. still breaking up and trying to establish "channels",
    nowhere for the stress to go -- I think the shaking might be a lot worse on those weird faults because it's more like disintegration than slippage.

In places with sea basins fouling up the fault lines, there can be even worse vibration. Because the sea basins are hard like a gong and act almost the same as a gong.
    Sea of Japan and Everett/Seatac region are composed of ancient sea basins. Not sure if the Sea of Japan used to be above water, but I am guessing it was.

Japan is another Atlantis waiting to happen. As is any shield volcano like the islands near Australia.
    Good thing we don't live long enough to be affected by these things in most cases.

But it's still very fascinating.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

There seems to be a lot of increase in activity along all fault lines except maybe the USA has been more silent. There is a thread on Earth changes from 2010 until now I think in the environmental section. I believe I got my chart above from Rocky Shorz post. Earth quakes appear to be increasing. I definitely feel we have a lot of activity going on whether it is a response to one plate pushing against another pushing against another plate and so on. Doesn't seem to fit with this thinking alone. Solar flares (Mclass...) that are stirring things up setting things in motion. Another piece of the puzzle.
    I cannot find the name of the expert from India Who was into some of this instability a while back and of course was completely ignored by mainstream. I am so bad with names. He pointed out something about two mag 8 off India and Sumantra but I think after the 2004 big quake. Setting things in motion.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Cara (23rd April 2014), Ellisa (23rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd April 2014), Wind (22nd April 2014)

11. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Fairy Friend (here)
    There seems to be a lot of increase in activity along all fault lines except maybe the USA has been more silent. There is a thread on Earth changes from 2010 until now I think in the environmental section. I believe I got my chart above from Rocky Shorz post. Earth quakes appear to be increasing. I definitely feel we have a lot of activity going on whether it is a response to one plate pushing against another pushing against another plate and so on. Doesn't seem to fit with this thinking alone. Solar flares (Mclass...) that are stirring things up setting things in motion. Another piece of the puzzle.
    I cannot find the name of the expert from India Who was into some of this instability a while back and of course was completely ignored by mainstream. I am so bad with names. He pointed out something about two mag 8 off India and Sumantra but I think after the 2004 big quake. Setting things in motion.
    last couple of years i noticed the USA quakes with few exceptions were all shallow. i.e. orange on the USGS map , shallow as heck.
    how come other parts of the world have "deeper" quakes (like the sea quakes in russia recently Ohkhotsk) and we have weird ones like Port au Prince over on our side?

eek

12. Link to Post #8
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

There's no mystery as to why it is called the Ring of Fire!!! That is indeed a scary map. The Italy, Turkey, Iraq area is also prone to earthquakes as shown in the last map ---- but it is a much smaller area of course.

There certainly have been more large earthquakes recently, and I don't believe it is just because we are hearing about them more. It does seem though, that modern, well designed buildings survive better, which means so do people! (I hope.)

On the other hand I think fracking near fault-lines is madness.
    Last edited by Ellisa; 23rd April 2014 at 01:08.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

Fairy Friend (23rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (23rd April 2014), Wind (23rd April 2014)

14. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I heard recently and I don't know if this is a true fact yet, but that France is using fracking to cause earthquakes in some areas so that they don't occur in other areas, such as populated areas. So they're using fracking as an advantage instead of a disadvantage. Let's kiss some French people if its true.
    Fracking on fault lines should stop in my book. Everything is very unstable now the last thing we need is to make it more unstable.
    I heard Chile, which has had a lot of quakes lately, that their buildings did well. I worry about the USA. We talk the talk but don't always walk the walk. Japan I suspect does well. I heard that round structures do well in earthquakes just like hurricanes.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Ellisa (23rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (23rd April 2014), Wind (23rd April 2014)

16. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I heard recently and I don't know if this is a true fact yet, but that France is using fracking to cause earthquakes in some areas so that they don't occur in other areas, such as populated areas. So they're using fracking as an advantage instead of a disadvantage. Let's kiss some French people if its true.
    Fracking on fault lines should stop in my book. Everything is very unstable now the last thing we need is to make it more unstable.
    I heard Chile, which has had a lot of quakes lately, that their buildings did well. I worry about the USA. We talk the talk but don't always walk the walk. Japan I suspect does well. I heard that round structures do well in earthquakes just like hurricanes.
    those seismic oceanic tests in CA recently, to test the nuclear plant structure, was that similar to the frack thing?

17. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Tesla,
    I have I have no idea I was hoping someone would tell me. I thought the fracking that was being done in California was more greed based. And not more on that higher vibrational level that actually thinks of others. Or of saving lives.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th May 2015)

19. Link to Post #12
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

This chart is also very telling.

This chart is made with the USGS data. Here is what USGS says:

"We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.

A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year. This is because of the tremendous increase in the number of seismograph stations in the world and the many improvements in global communications. In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more than 8,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by electronic mail, internet and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate earthquakes more rapidly and to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years. The NEIC now locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in the environment and natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes.

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 17 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year."

We have had at least 58 quakes over magnitude 7 this year.
    I highly doubt this.

I heard recently and I don't know if this is a true fact yet, but that France is using fracking to cause earthquakes
    I think it's not true.
    Last edited by Atlas; 23rd April 2014 at 20:26.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Fairy Friend (23rd April 2014), Nick Matkin (3rd May 2015), Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th May 2015)

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Oops Thanks Buares,
    I had meant to say that there were 58 quakes over magnitude 6 and I had also stated 5 over magnitude 7 and 2 over magnitude 8 in April alone. I have been watching earthquakes a long time and I still feel there is a definite change in the air. Still making this a record-breaking year already.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Atlas (23rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th May 2015)

23. Link to Post #14
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

2 over magnitude 8 in April alone.
    I found only one, where was the second one ?

April

8.0+ Magnitude : 1
    7.0-7.9 Magnitude : 6
    6.0–6.9 Magnitude : 15
    5.0–5.9 Magnitude : 130

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquakes_in_2014#April

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Fairy Friend (23rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th May 2015)

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

April 1 was Chile at 8.0 and Solomon Islands at 8.3 April 12.

I also see some confusion when I said over 58 quakes I meant between 6&8 and I was referring to the graph. Sorry, its been a long day already for me. And I also hadn't updated that from the last couple of quakes. We are still in April.
    Last edited by Fairy Friend; 23rd April 2014 at 23:31.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Hervé (23rd April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th May 2015)

27. Link to Post #16
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

As it happens often with preliminary earthquakes results, that 8.3 Solomon islands was downgraded to a 7.6:

Quote Posted by EMSC (here)
    Magnitude Mi 8.3Region SOLOMON ISLANDSDate time 2014-04-12 20:14:36.0 UTCLocation 11.22 S ; 162.22 EDepth 2 km

More...
    If you click on "More" it will get you to an upgraded page of that earthquake report where it is now a 7.6 verified by seismologist(s).
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Atlas (23rd April 2014), Fairy Friend (23rd April 2014)

29. Link to Post #17
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

April 1 was Chile at 8.0 and Solomon Islands at 8.3 April 12.
    It was a 7.6 - 100km SSE of Kirakira, Solomon Islands

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...00phx5#summary

Edit: Thank you for clarifying Amzer Zo.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Fairy Friend (23rd April 2014), Hervé (23rd April 2014)

31. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Are Earthquakes and Volcano Activity on the Rise?

The Costa Rica News (TCRN) – If it seems like earthquakes and erupting volcanoes are happening more frequently, that’s because they are. Looking at global magnitude six (M6) or greater from 1980 to 1989 there was an average of 108.5 earthquakes per year, from 2000 to 2009 the planet averaged 160.9 earthquakes per year: that is a 38.9% increase of M6+ earthquakes in recent years.

The conspiracy theorists have been sounding alarms for some time about this with fingers pointing to HAARP technology, geo-engineering, electromagnetic waves in the ionosphere, etc. Mainstream scientists simple say they are hand-picking data sets and that in reality our monitoring systems have become better as well as the fact that there is more media reporting so it only appears to be an increasing number of seismic events on the globe.

The image below shows statistics from the United States Geological Survey’s (USGS) Earthquake Hazards Program showing a significant increase M6 and greater events:

The graph below shows the cumulative number of earthquakes M3 or greater in the mid-continental United States. The number of M3 or greater earthquakes increases steadily at about 21 events per year until around 2000, when it increases about 50% to 31 events per year. By 2008, the number increased sharply to about 151 events per year.

The image above and associated data set from the USGS, has prompted the USGS to launch a scientific study to determine if the increase is natural, or man-made. Click here to see the USGS article.

Unrest also seems to be growing among the worlds super-volcanoes. Iceland (which is home to some of the most dangerous volcanoes on the planet), Santorini in Greece, Uturuncu in Bolivia, the Yellowstone and Long Valley calderas in the U.S., Laguna del Maule in Chile, Italy’s Campi Flegrei – almost all of the world’s active super-volcanic systems are now exhibiting some signs of inflation, an early indication that pressure is building in these volcanic systems.

When they will erupt is guess work, but in the meantime, activity is growing in Central America’s volcanoes such as Costa Rica’s Turrialba Volcano, Asia’s volcanoes such as Kamchatka, Alaska and Indonesia are also more active. Magma chambers are growing as pressures increase, the numbers of tremors are increasing as are related ‘quake-clusters’. If any one of these major volcanic systems has a large scale eruption, it would be a global event.

Iceland is considered by many scientists to be the next likely place for a global level volcanic event. The last major event, actually relatively minor, was in 2010 when an Icelandic volcano (Eyjafjallajökull volcano) made headlines around the world by spewing mega-tons of ash into the atmosphere, cancelling and re-routing thousands of flights and costing airlines and passengers more than $7 billion+ in lost revenues.

But Eyjafjallajökull is a baby compared to Bardarbunga, a volcano in central Iceland that has been dilating and venting. Dilation of the crater has been significant, and other signs of eminent eruption such quake clusters shaking the region are happening on a regular basis.

Costa Rica

According to the USGS, Costa Rica is very active seismically with earthquake and volcanoes. This is a result of the unique and diverse tectonic plate system that is made up of the Caribbean plate, and no fewer than four major adjacent plates (North America, South America, Nazca, and Cocos).

The massive Haiti earthquake of January 12, 2010, occurred on the boundary region separating the Caribbean plate and the North America plate.

Click here for a Poster of the Seismicity of the Caribbean Plate and Vicinity
    For more information on this poster visit USGS http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak.../caribbean.php

Apart from Costa Rica’s unique tectonic condition, this small country also sits on the infamous Ring of Fire. Eighty percent of all volcanic eruptions occur along the Ring of Fire. There are 452 volcanoes on the Ring of Fire holding over 75% of the world’s active and dormant volcanoes.

New research into the Sun and its Connection to Earthquake and Volcanic Activity here on Earth

The latest research connects the Sun to the Earth in fascinating new ways.

A 1967 study published in the Earth and Planetary Science journal, stated: “Solar activity, as indicated by sunspots, radio noise and geomagnetic indices, plays a significant but by no means exclusive role in the triggering of earthquakes.”

A 1998 report by a scientist from the Beijing Astronomical Observatory… “Earthquakes occur frequently around the minimum years of solar activity.”

As reported on NewScientist.com and numerous other science sites, including Space.com, the sun has recently entered into its lowest (minimum) actively levels in four centuries, coinciding with an increase in global seismic activity. “Solar activity is declining very fast at the moment,” Mike Lockwood, professor of space environmental physics at Reading University, UK, told New Scientist. “We estimate faster than at any time in the last 9300 years.”

Current Solar science looks at Sunspots, Solar Flares (charged particles), Solar Wind speed and density, Magnetic Field Shift, Shifting Ocean and Jet Stream Currents, Extreme Weather (including earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes or other extreme natural events), and have concluded that the Earth and the Sun are far more connected than previously thought.

Solar Science shows that these seismic events here on earth (as well as other planets and moons in our solar system) are connected directly to our suns activity, and may have more of an impact on climate change than previously thought. This extremely low solar active phase our star is in is projected to be with us for next 30 years along with the heightened climate and seismic activities associated with the phase.

The most recent study by the USGS finds there were more than twice as many big earthquakes in the first quarter of 2014 as compared with the average since 1979.
    “We have recently experienced a period that has had one of the highest rates of great earthquakes ever recorded,” said lead study author Tom Parsons, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in California.

It seems that earthquakes and volcanic activity is on the rise and according to many scientific experts we can expect more in the near future.
    Last edited by Wind; 3rd May 2015 at 13:08.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Fairy Friend (3rd May 2015), justntime2learn (3rd June 2015), Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th May 2015)

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Thanks to Onawah for finding this article...

Increasing Cosmic Rays

Driving Force in Climate Changes, Volcanos and Earthquakes

Back in 1996 Danish physicists suggested that cosmic rays, energetic particles from space, are important in the formation of clouds. Since then, experiments in Copenhagen and elsewhere have demonstrated that cosmic rays actually help small clusters of molecules to form. By firing a particle beam into a cloud chamber, physicists in Denmark and the UK have shown how cosmic rays could stimulate the formation of water droplets in the Earth’s atmosphere. The researchers say this is the best experimental evidence yet that the Sun influences the climate by altering the intensity of the cosmic-ray flux reaching the Earth’s surface.

In 1995, Henrik Svensmark discovered a startling connection between the cosmic ray flux from space and cloud cover. He found that when the sun is more active–more sunspots, a stronger magnetic field, larger auroras, stronger solar winds, etc.–fewer cosmic rays strike the earth and cloud cover is reduced, resulting in warmer temperatures. Svensmark offers a complete chain of events that explains the variations in global temperature that have puzzled climatologists for so many years, and that has now led to an explanation for the recent global warming episode that ended approximately 17 years ago.

Changes to the Sun’s brightness are believed to have altered temperatures by very little through direct means. What Svensmark and other scientists are showing is that the main cooling that occurs during solar minimums is not just because the sun is sending less warming rays but through reduction in protective capacity in terms of cosmic rays. It is an indirect effect.

Most of us are not physicists so we do not pay attention to the subtle world of energies that surround us. It is not only the sun that is weakening demonstrating few and sometimes no sunspot activity. Earth’s magnetic field is also weakening “setting into motion a chain of events which causes destabilizing of Earth’s fluids – mostly of magma and also oceans and ice. These natural cyclical events cause the shifting of weather patterns, climate, elevated earth changing events such as earthquakes, volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes etc.”

The sun is not subtle at all keeping all life possible down here on planet earth. The sun, when aroused puts out a higher velocity of solar wind that protects the earth from cosmic rays. During periods of low solar activity, which we are now experiencing, the solar winds decrease allowing more cosmic rays to penetrate, which increases cloud formation, which would be the main cooling mechanism from diminished solar activity. Whatever theories are presented we have history to tell us that we have had mini ice ages at times when the sun has shown diminished sun spot activity.

Upon reaching the lower atmosphere where more sulphur dioxide, water vapor, and ozone is present, the cosmic rays ionize the air, releasing electrons that aid in the formation of more cloud condensation nuclei and form more dense clouds. This increase in low-cloud amount reflects more solar energy to space, cooling the planet. The increasingly intense rain and snow storms can, in all likelihood, be attributed to the decreasing solar winds and increasing cosmic rays that are penetrating the earth.

An experiment at CERN, Europe’s high-energy physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland, confirmed this theory of cloud formation and cosmic rays. For a century, scientists have known that charged particles from space constantly bombard Earth. Known as cosmic rays, the particles are mostly protons blasted out of supernovae. As the protons crash through the planet’s atmosphere, they can ionize volatile compounds, causing them to condense into airborne droplets, or aerosols. Clouds then build up around the droplets.

A paper published in Environmental Research Letters in 2014 corroborates the Svensmark cosmic ray theory of climate, whereby tiny 0.1% changes in solar activity are amplified via the effect on cosmic rays and cloud formation, which in turn may control global temperatures. The authors find cosmic ray variations due to changes over solar cycles may have as much as 10 times larger effect than previous studies have estimated. The paper also finds that a tiny 0.2C temperature increase increases the cosmic ray induced cloud condensation nuclei by around 50%, thus acting as a natural homeostatic mechanism.

According to the authors, "The effect of solar cycle perturbation on [cloud condensation nuclei] based on present study is generally higher than those reported in several previous studies, up to around one order of magnitude [10 times]…Our global simulations indicate that a decrease in ionization rate associated with galactic cosmic ray flux change from solar minimum to solar maximum reduces annual mean nucleation rates, number concentration of cloud condensation nuclei larger than 10 nm… by 6.8%, 1.36%…respectively. The inclusion of 0.2 °C temperature increase enhances the CCN [cloud condensation nuclei] solar cycle signals by around 50%."

“The sun is a variable star, which emits both electromagnetic radiation and energetic particles known as the solar wind – these are released as a plasma carrying a fingerprint of the solar magnetic field throughout inter-planetary space. Effects from the solar wind are felt at distances well beyond Neptune, possibly up to 200 AU from the sun, in a region of space known as the Heliosphere (figure 1). The flux of the inter-planetary magnetic field (IMF) at 1AU is ✂5nT. Variability in solar activity affects both the radiative output of the sun and the strength of the IMF carried by the solar wind. The IMF shields the heliosphere from galactic cosmic radiation which, consists of energetic particles, mainly protons that are accelerated through stellar processes in our galaxy. Thus, solar variability modulates both the flux of incoming galactic cosmic radiation (GCR) and the amount of solar radiation received by the planets. Historical evidence over the past 1000 years indicates that changes in climate have occurred in accord with variability in cosmic ray intensities”

Cosmic Rays and Increases in Earthquakes and Volcano Eruptions

Actually there is nothing subtle about changes in cosmic ray levels and nothing subtle about the changes going on in the sun. Some scientists are not so sure about the cloud cosmic ray connection but if cosmic rays are strong enough to set off volcanoes one would think it child’s play to seed some clouds. Explosive volcanic eruptions are triggered by cosmic rays with volcanos acting as giant bubble chambers.

Volcanoes with silica-rich and highly viscous magma tend to produce violent explosive eruptions that result in disasters in local communities and that strongly affect the global environment. We examined the timing of 11 eruptive events that produced silica-rich magma from four volcanoes in Japan (Mt. Fuji, Mt. Usu, Myojinsho, and Satsuma-Iwo-jima) over the past 306 years (from AD 1700 to AD 2005). Nine of the 11 events occurred during inactive phases of solar magnetic activity (solar minimum), which is well indexed by the group sunspot number. This strong association between eruption timing and the solar minimum is statistically significant to a confidence level of 96.7%.

“If it seems like earthquakes and erupting volcanoes are happening more frequently, that’s because they are. Looking at global magnitude six (M6) or greater from 1980 to 1989 there was an average of 108.5 earthquakes per year, from 2000 to 2009 the planet averaged 160.9 earthquakes per year: that is a 38.9% increase of M6+ earthquakes in recent years. Unrest also seems to be growing among the world’s super-volcanoes. Iceland (which is home to some of the most dangerous volcanoes on the planet), Santorini in Greece, Uturuncu in Bolivia, the Yellowstone and Long Valley calderas in the U.S., Laguna del Maule in Chile, Italy’s Campi Flegrei – almost all of the world’s active super-volcanic systems are now exhibiting some signs of inflation, an early indication that pressure is building in these volcanic systems.”

A 1967 study published in the Earth and Planetary Science Letters found that solar activity, as indicated by sunspots, radio noise and geomagnetic indices, plays a significant but by no means exclusive role in the triggering of earthquakes. Maximum quake frequency occurs at times of moderately high and fluctuating solar activity.

The International Journal of Fundamental Physical Sciences reported in 2012 about the relationships between solar activities (sunspots, solar 10.7cm radio flux, solar irradiance, and solar proton events) and local earthquakes. The geographical location of study was in New Zealand. The study reveals the following conclusions:

1) The total numbers of earthquakes strongly show annually an increasing in number of earthquakes in New Zealand from 42 years ago.

2) The maximum earthquakes occur frequently around the minimum years of solar activities,

3) The maximum earthquakes occurs in minimum years of sunspots number with a good correlation coefficient.

4) The maximum earthquakes occur in the minimum solar 10.7 cm radio flux with strong correlation coefficient.

“We have recently experienced a period that has had one of the highest rates of great earthquakes ever recorded,” said Tom Parsons, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) in California. It seems that earthquakes and volcanic activity are on the rise and according to many scientific experts we can expect more in the near future.

A 1998 report by a scientist from the Beijing Astronomical Observatory, Chinese Academy of Sciences, also found a correlation between low solar activity and earthquakes. Earthquakes occur frequently around the minimum years of solar activity. Generally, the earthquake activities are relatively less during the peak value years of solar activity, some say, around the period when magnetic polarity in the solar Polar Regions is reversed.

Volcanic and Earthquake Activity In May 2015

Michigan was just hit by the worst earthquake that state has seen in more than 60 years. In recent days, there have been a series of alarming earthquakes all over the United States and around the rest of the world.

Two 6.8-magnitude earthquakes strike off Solomon Islands

Awakening again? Alert level raised to “yellow” on Chile’s Chaitén volcano

Indonesia’s Lokon-Empung volcano shaken by violent eruption

UK rocked as 4.2 magnitude earthquake hits near London

Guatemala’s Volcán de Fuego growing increasingly restless

Strong 6.8 magnitude earthquake hits near Solomon Islands

Ground level in Mount Hakone volcanic area rises as much as 12 cm

Piton de la Fournaise volcano (La Réunion) erupts for the second time in 2015

Another aftershock: Nepal struck by 5.7-magnitude earthquake

Officials warn Guatemala’s Fuego volcano becoming more active

Five more aftershocks hit Nepal as toll in fresh quake tops 100

Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano lava lake drops out of public view – earthquakes continue

Molten lava gushes out of Sicily’s Mount Etna volcano

Powerful 6.8 magnitude earthquake rocks northeastern Japan

New 7.3 magnitude earthquake strikes Nepal –

buildings collapse, mass panic ensues – 66 dead

Nicaragua’s Telica Volcano dusts town with ash –

30 eruptions reported after 8 year hiatus

Costa Rica’s Turrialba Volcano erupts again,

scientists warn of increased health risks, economic damage

Hawaii’s Big Island shaken by twin earthquakes – volcanic lake hit record levels

Expert warns Japan has entered ‘era of great quakes and eruptions’ –

volcanoes stirring across Japan

Hundreds flee Philippines’s rumbling Bulusan volcano

Hundreds evacuated as Indonesia’s Karangetang volcano violently erupts in N. Sulawesi

Costa Rica’s Volcano Turrialba spews black ash cloud 6,000 ft into air

Strong 7.1 magnitude earthquake rocks Papua New Guinea, no tsunami threat

Nepal Earthquake death toll surges past 7,500 victims,
    with 14,500 reportedly injured

Volcanic earthquakes surge near Japan’s Hakone Volcano –

volcano hasn’t erupted in 800 years.

7.5 magnitude strikes the New Britain region of Papua New Guinea –

3rd large quake in two months

The most powerful volcano in Kamchatka releases steam and ash

Scientists confirm submarine volcanic eruption 300 miles off the coast

of Washington State – massive ‘quiet’ lava burst

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (26th May 2015), justntime2learn (3rd June 2015)

35. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 times in 1,783 posts

Everything I've read on the net says that EQ's are on the rise and this definitely includes those in the high mags. too. I understand about there being more stations out there now more than ever but the general consensus among most experts is that they are on the rise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast