1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,729 times in 4,313 posts

Default Re: 9, The number of the universe

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    I would pick the number 7 , if I had to give infinite space a number ... the seven belts of creation , the seven sisters , the seven prophets , the seven stages of evolution , the seven sub-stages of evolution , if we go extinct it will be the seventh extinction , the seven days of a week , seven the number of perfection and completion ... not to disagree with your research , just a different perspective ...
    I have to agree.
    I was about to say as much earlier, but I would have been the first post on the thread, and I didn't want to come off like I was being oppositional for the sake of being oppositional.

As well the examples ghostrider gave there are 7 soul types, 7 chief features, seven colors in the rainbow and seven notes on a musical scale. And though I'm sure there would be debate about it, 7 planes of existence.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (25th April 2014), bruno dante (26th April 2014), petra (9th July 2019), XelNaga (10th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Ahnung-quay (here)
    I agree with you on the A 432. For work on sound, how it fits with geometry and numbers check out Richard Merrick's work. Some of his books are free online. he believes all matter is frozen sound waves.
    or look here:
    Quote Throughout history, numerous clues and hints regarding geometry and frequency have been staring at us, calling to us, and waiting for us to put them into place like pieces of a giant puzzle. Here at the dawn of a new age, this sonic-geometric puzzle is finally nearing completion, revealing the building blocks of a language based on energy, frequency and form.
    How will we use it? With whom will we be communicating? Now that we know the basics of this new language, maybe we are ready to begin the conversation.... again?
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...uency-and-Form

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    I would pick the number 7 , if I had to give infinite space a number ... the seven belts of creation , the seven sisters , the seven prophets , the seven stages of evolution , the seven sub-stages of evolution , if we go extinct it will be the seventh extinction , the seven days of a week , seven the number of perfection and completion ... not to disagree with your research , just a different perspective ...
    I have to agree.
    432 has a pretty compelling case built in this video.... (which is 9, reduced..)

Quote Posted by xxtylerdurdinxx (here)
    I am a musician and a recording expert. -Buddha

You'll enjoy this too from the above thread:

there is also hollywood corrobration ( which is important IMO..)

As to this:
    Its is not known why it was changed, but I feel it was done deliberately to keep us out of balance with nature.
    I think it's pretty well known, you just have to look a bit:

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/201...ral-432hz.html

etc etc etc.....
    Last edited by TargeT; 25th April 2014 at 16:19.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (26th April 2014), Rollo (25th April 2014)

5. Link to Post #23
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

If one uses the numerological system where there can be no numbers greater than 9 or smaller than 1, and one then looks at my birth date, it will spell out 999, and if one then numbers the letters of the alphabet accordingly, then my full legal name - which I'm not going to divulge here, haha - also spells out a 9. In sort, 9 is definitely my number.

That said, if one applies calculus to this particular numerological system, then everything multiplied by 9 will become 9, and everything to which 9 is added will retain its original value. From the spiritual point of view, I find that very interesting.

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

When doing Pooja in a Hindu Temple, you walk in a circle either 3, 6 or 9 times around the Diety. 108 is also a sacred number in Hinduism.

http://koenraadelst.bharatvani.org/a...sc/why108.html

Like 12, the number 9 has its unusual properties. Once more, we cannot be satisfied with simply enumerating instances where 9 has been used in a sacred context: the 9 worlds of Germanic cosmology, the 9 Muses, etc. We want objective properties, and when looking for these, we must again distinguish between conditional and unconditional properties. Thus, it is often remarked that 9 is the highest among the decimal numerals, and hence symbolizes anything that is highest, including God, who, in comparison with anything you may propose, is always Greater. However, this property is conditional upon our choice of numeral system, i.c. decimal rather than binary or any other: in the binary system, the number 1 would have this property, and in the duodecimal one, the number eleven would. Likewise, 9's property of equalling the sum of the numerals in its own multiples (e.g. in 9 x 8 = 72, we find that 7 + 2 = 9) is again dependent on our choice of the decimal system.

For unconditional properties, we might look at some characteristics of the enneagon (9 x 40�). This is the first polygon with a non-prime base (as distinct from the heptagon, 7 being a prime number) that eludes construction with ruler and compass. This contrasts sharply with the division of the circle into 4 or 6 or 12, which is so simple and natural, or with its division into 5 or 10, which is more complicated but very rewarding (yielding the Golden Section) and at any rate possible. So, 9, though analysable as 3 x 3, is elusive. Does anyone care to read some symbolism into this property? If 7 represents the mystical eluding the rational, what should be represented by 9, which is more structured yet equally eludes rational construction? Let's see: how about God, who always eludes our concepts? Allahu Akbar, God is greater!

But we need not look that far. Whatever else 9 may be, its most immediate arithmetical property is certainly that it equals 3�, or 3 x 3. Unlike the neat balance of even numbers like 2 or 4, suggesting stability and a waiting matrix of potentialities, the number 3 expresses motion, as even the most vulgar book on number symbolism will tell you. The number 9, therefore, is a movement affecting the movement, i.e. acceleration. It is dynamic par excellence, Shakti as the dynamic expression of static Shiva. The primal form of acceleration is the change from rest to motion, i.e. setting things in motion, starting the whole process from zero. This, of course, is the doing of the Creator who is Greater. Or as the Scholastics used to say: God is not Potency, God is pure Act.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (25th April 2014), bruno dante (26th April 2014), Frank V (25th April 2014), kirolak (26th April 2014), seko (23rd July 2019), TargeT (26th April 2014), XelNaga (10th July 2019)

8. Link to Post #25
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

So metric (base 10) like 440hz tuning is an attempt at de-railing progression and keeping us out of "attunement" with the divine 9, 432 and 12 numbers...

more suppression, more deception... This thread seems more important than the attention it is receiving.

my 5 children and wife are watching the OP's video with me right now.... very important information.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (26th April 2014), Billy (26th April 2014), bruno dante (26th April 2014), noprophet (26th April 2014), Omi (26th April 2014), seko (23rd July 2019)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Really interesting thread! Numbers and their relationship to music fascinate me. In the vedas it is said 'Nada Brahma' : The world is music!

The octave is eight notes. The ninth note is the start of a new octave.
    There seems to be some misunderstanding or a misrepresentation of a valid understanding in your statement, Ahnung-quay. The 8th note of an octave is a repeat at double the vibratory rate of the first note so strictly speaking an octave has 7 notes and the new octave starts on the 8th. Music is counter-intuitive in that the first and last note of a series of octaves is a shared note between the octaves. Michael Hayes has a really interesting take on all this in his books which are featured on this website. His take might help to clear up any misunderstandings around these issues.

In Indian music there are smaller divisions between 'whole tones' as they recognize meaningful difference in quarter tones, whereas in western music an octave has 12 tone steps since we divide tones into semi-tones. Other cultures have other filters for the same spectrum of tones that we recognize as an octave. Africa is rife with a variety of scales, and an equal profusion of rhythmic innovations. Every culture has a different set of filters. Western culture has been bludgeoned into a rare creature called the 'tempered' scale as a result of the development of the piano and its dominance in musical culture.

Enjoy!
    "There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." R. Buckminster Fuller

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StandingWave For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (26th April 2014)

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

In eastern religions the number 108 is very important; just to mention one example, one is supposed to chant the 108 beads of the rosary & some gurus even have 108 as part of their names. Numerologically, 108 translates to 9 as well.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (26th April 2014), Frank V (26th April 2014), seko (23rd July 2019), TargeT (28th April 2014)

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 times in 189 posts

Post Re: 9, The number of the universe

Thank you for this thread, numbers fascinate me!
    Thanks to everyone for posting very interesting infos and insights too!

From past research, I found 7 to be a significant number and agree with Ghostrider and DNA on this.
    If I may add, there are seven angels that pass through the Tree of Life,
    which overlap with, but are a bit different from the seven angels of the major planets of our solar system. I love them angels!

As DNA has mentioned, there are 7 notes in a scale, but when including all the half notes it becomes a 12-tone scale. And when going further into microtonal scale, the number of notes becomes infinite.
    In terms of creating harmony with the resonating frequencies of sound, the 7th of a musical chord always creates a dissonance with the 1st. hmm..

There are some theories on 8- turn it sideways, ∞ and it's the lemniscate, symbol of infinity.
    Here's a staircase of equation using 8.

1 x 8 + 1 = 9
    12 x 8 + 2 = 98
    123 x 8 + 3 = 987
    1234 x 8 + 4 = 9876
    12345 x 8 + 5 = 98765
    123456 x 8 + 6 = 987654
    1234567 x 8 + 7 = 9876543
    12345678 x 8 + 8 = 98765432
    123456789 x 8 + 9 = 987654321

But I wonder:
    What exactly is a universal number?
    Is there only one number? Or are the numbers 1-9 all universal numbers?

In numerology, they also add 11 and 22 as master numbers.
    Here's a good free numerology report in details.

http://cafeastrology.com/numerology2/index.htm

I found this yesterday and it said my lucky number is 9. How funny..

As being a musician, I tune my instrument to 444 when practicing alone, and also whenever performing unaccompanied solo. It could feel a bit sharp at first, but feels a whole lot better than 442. And there's a tendency to notice the uneasiness when a note is flat rather than when it's sharp.
    I also tune to 432 for baroque music. It feels very natural, and the vibrations are absolutely amazing. It has very powerful healing energy for the souls and the universe.

On the documentary "Holographic Universe", they explain about sounds and harmonics:

"..every object in this universe produces a sound according to its construction. Each object creates a unique sound. If you average the sounds of all the objects in this universe, in this third dimension, you would get this 7.23cm-wavelength, the true sound of OM. As you go up into higher dimensional levels, the wave length gets shorter and shorter, with higher energy, vice versa."

http://vimeo.com/16992532

Further infos:

-Geometry, Music and Healing
    http://aniwilliams.com/geometry_music_healing.htm

-Planetary Harmonics and Neurobiological Resonances
    http://www.lunarplanner.com/Harmonic...harmonics.html

-Frequencies of the Organs of the Body and Planets
    http://www.greatdreams.com/hertz.htm

"The sky and its stars make music in you."
    -Denderah Temple hieroglyph wall inscription, Egypt

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Omi For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (26th April 2014), Ahnung-quay (26th April 2014), Dorjezigzag (27th April 2014), Frank V (26th April 2014), kirolak (26th April 2014), XelNaga (10th July 2019)

16. Link to Post #29
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

I am new to the 432 hrz frequency, some youtubing for a listen brought me to some Bob Marley songs re mastered at 432 hrz and I respond a bit different to them ( reggae freak), my inner ears and my balance seem to get adjusted a bit, its making me a bit nauseous as well, odd, but there seems to be something to it, it has a smoother feeling to it.

Thanks for the thread, interesting.

Ed

Almost forgot, satisfy my soul 432 hrz.

Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 26th April 2014 at 09:34.

17. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

Thanks for the correction on the octave StandingWave. I'm not a musician and, for some reason, I do struggle to understand it! I just love the fact that the scale numbers based on 432 are in harmony with each other. This is music as it should be heard. Gotta love Bob Marley!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

Omi (26th April 2014), StandingWave (26th April 2014)

19. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

Does anyone have information on the tritone? I think it might correlate with the F# chord that is the basic geometrical chord as given in the video Sonic Geometry. The tritone was actually banned by the Catholic church; again hiding information from the masses.

20. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

This is part of an experience i had in India that involved the numbers 9 and 108.
    Quote Posted by Billy (here)
    This is part of my experience, I will add more detail as we go forward.

2000 years ago in India 18 rishis and 7 sages were instructed by Lord Shiva through divine intervention to write down the genealogy from the original 12 tribes, which they say we are all descended from. After completion the scribes were asked to write down the future destiny of all souls. They are engraved on leaves from palm trees, preserved with peacock oil. They are Called NAADI SHASTRA. (Palm Leaf Astrology) they say it is a science using astrology.

There were four instructions. Two were to be carried out in temples. One with the help of the priest, who was giving me the reading, and had to be carried out on a full moon day. I was to take a garland of 108 flowers, 1008 one rupee coins in a copper pot and I was to be clothed in red garments. The second had to be carried out by the head priest, on my behalf in Tamil Nadu. The head priest would carry out a NAVAGRAHA POOJA, which is a nine day ceremony, involving the nine planets.

A yantra made of copper would be made for me and Blessed in the Temple by the High Priest, then given to me after the Pooja was complete. I was then to take the Yantra home, and carry out a 48 day Pooja in my home, then place the Yantra in the sea or river. I was asked to do a pilgrimage to the holy mountain in the town I was born in my last life. Finally I was asked to get a baby fruit tree, and to plant it in a place I had never heard of, and say this prayer when planting: "As this tree grows, so the negativity of my past would be washed away."
    Peace

Note: Nava’ means nine. ’Graha’ means planets. As per Vedic Astrology, there are nine planets that influence our lives.
    Last edited by Billy; 26th April 2014 at 17:26.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Dorjezigzag (27th April 2014), Frank V (26th April 2014), lake (26th April 2014), Omi (26th April 2014), XelNaga (10th July 2019)

22. Link to Post #33
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

Does anyone have information on the tritone? I think it might correlate with the F# chord that is the basic geometrical chord as given in the video Sonic Geometry. The tritone was actually banned by the Catholic church; again hiding information from the masses.
    That which was banned by the Roman Catholic Church was called "the Devil's interval", and it was not a tritone (which is a chord), but a triad (which is a sequence). "The Devil's interval" is when you have three successive notes, with the intervals being a minor third.

When played as a chord, you get a so-called diminished chord, which is "the perfect chord" in that it divides the octave into four equal intervals. Diminished chords are used a lot in jazz, flamenco and classical music. They sound very dramatic and sad.

23. Link to Post #34
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,531 times in 811 posts

This is part of an experience i had in India that involved the numbers 9 and 108.
    This is part of my experience, I will add more detail as we go forward.

2000 years ago in India 18 rishis and 7 sages were instructed by Lord Shiva through divine intervention to write down the genealogy from the original 12 tribes, which they say we are all descended from. After completion the scribes were asked to write down the future destiny of all souls. They are engraved on leaves from palm trees, preserved with peacock oil. They are Called NAADI SHASTRA. (Palm Leaf Astrology) they say it is a science using astrology.

There were four instructions. Two were to be carried out in temples. One with the help of the priest, who was giving me the reading, and had to be carried out on a full moon day. I was to take a garland of 108 flowers, 1008 one rupee coins in a copper pot and I was to be clothed in red garments. The second had to be carried out by the head priest, on my behalf in Tamil Nadu. The head priest would carry out a NAVAGRAHA POOJA, which is a nine day ceremony, involving the nine planets.

A yantra made of copper would be made for me and Blessed in the Temple by the High Priest, then given to me after the Pooja was complete. I was then to take the Yantra home, and carry out a 48 day Pooja in my home, then place the Yantra in the sea or river. I was asked to do a pilgrimage to the holy mountain in the town I was born in my last life. Finally I was asked to get a baby fruit tree, and to plant it in a place I had never heard of, and say this prayer when planting: "As this tree grows, so the negativity of my past would be washed away."
    Note: Nava’ means nine. ’Graha’ means planets. As per Vedic Astrology, there are nine planets that influence our lives.

Peace
    Now thank you for that as it backs up my thoughts here

The fractal nature of creation defining its self.......nice long read....LOL

1008 is very important and red has a frequency between ~ 430–480 THz which is this 'plane' of being!
    Last edited by Billy; 26th April 2014 at 17:28.
    Normal..!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lake For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (26th April 2014), Billy (26th April 2014), Frank V (26th April 2014)

25. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Quote Posted by Lifebringer (here)
    3 separations by the 3? Perhaps. 9 has been coming through, do you think we've reached a 9th gate of vibratory energy?

Interesting.
    Funny you mention this - Precisely 9 days ago, I watched the movie, The Ninth Gate.

Two days after I opened up a book. The second part of the dedication asked the question, "Is there a tenth gate? Are we there yet?"

My response would be, "Yes," and, "Yes."
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (26th April 2014), Frank V (26th April 2014), karelia (26th April 2014)

27. Link to Post #36
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

in Magic the Gathering, the thing used to be "The Power 9"

not an accident, hehe

and then people already mentioned "The Ninth Gate"
    (wish I had not sold that Blanchard book lol)

(p.s. my store is called something similar to "the power 9 work shop" lmao)

husb was a MtG addict (super smart)

here are the power 9

https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazi...com/arcana/432

and we don't have room for #10, the Library of Alexandria

but you can see the Sacred Math and the ancestor worship etc. lol

p.s.Black Lotus
    Ancestral Recall
    Mox Emerald
    Mox Jet
    Mox Pearl
    Mox Ruby
    Mox Sapphire
    Timetwister
    Time Walk
    Last edited by Tesla_WTC_Solution; 27th April 2014 at 20:37.

28. Link to Post #37
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

and you guys know that the black lotus could be the Kundalini:

*kiss* *wink* *naughty grin*

p.s. sir, I can see your 9:

she was doing things with santa claus that made even the elves blanche
    Last edited by Tesla_WTC_Solution; 27th April 2014 at 20:41.

29. Link to Post #38
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

9 is a very interesting number and is the key number to the universe. It is hidden everywhere and most people don't realize it, hidden in places like angles, measurements, and time. For example, take standard measurements. A 90 degree angle breaks down to 9+0=9, a 45 degree angle is 4+5 =9, a 22.5 degree angle is 2+2+5=9, a 180 degree angle breaks down to 1+8+0=9, and a full circle 360 degrees breaks down to 3+6+0=9. Now we move on to time there are 1440 minutes in a 24 hour day. This breaks down to 1+4+4+0= 9. There are 86,400 seconds in a day. This breaks down to (8+6+4+0+0=18/ 1+8=9). Now take a year if there are 1440 minutes in a day and there are 365 days in a standard year. That's 525,600 minutes in a year. That breaks down to 5+2+5+6+0+0=18/ 1+8=9. The number 9 is in everything of any measure in the universe and is hidden all over religious texts and old philosophical works. There is a multi part documentary on youtube that goes into these connections further and touches on many other aspects about how ancient knowledge has been suppressed from us. I will post the link at the end of this thread. I am a musician and a recording expert. In my field I have noticed that the industry standard for music is A440 hertz. This has been changed from the original standard of A432 hertz (4+3+2=9). Its is not known why it was changed, but I feel it was done deliberately to keep us out of balance with nature. That's why people can listen to old record albums of Bach and Beethoven and feel such strong emotions that it can bring tears to their eyes. Mainstream music has become junk art lately and I suspect it is on purpose. Below is the link for the documentary series, Ancient Knowledge. It is very powerful and I recommend everyone go and watch all parts of it. My life has changed drastically after watching it. Happy searching to all of my new friends.

Ancient Knowledge Series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVUU3p5iHMA

Aaron

Question everything, no matter who told you, even if I told you

-Buddha

Watching this now! But in the meantime, is it possible to build a soundsystem that would correct the music to the right frequency? Im a Dj in a Reggae soundsystem so it would make sense to build something like this..

30. Link to Post #39
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,082 times in 817 posts

The number nine as has been represented by many posts on this thread is related to the circle which is seen to represent a level 0f attainment of perfection, the number 8 the number preceding the 9 is seen as the heavens gate and represents the transition of the square into the circle.

A very famous image that relates man to the square and the circle is the vitruvian man, most on this forum probably know this image but i am curious how many are aware what it means.

Quote Vitruvius was an ancient Roman architect who wrote a series of ten books on architecture - one of the few collections of books of its type that survived into the Renaissance. In the third volume, which is on the proportions of temples, he states that these buildings should be based on the proportions of man, because the human body is the model of perfection. He justifies this by stating that the human body with arms and legs extended fits into the perfect geometric forms, the circle, and the square.

This fragment of the philosophy of Pythagoras seized the imagination of the Renaissance. Many artists tried to illustrate this divine relationship, but with varying success. An illustration of Vitruvian man by Cesariano in his Cosmo Vitruvius of 1521 reeks of failure. Cesariano drew a perfect circle and square tangent to each other at the four points of the square; then he forced a figure of a man into the design so that his hands and feet touch the points. The result was one of the most disproportioned figures of the Renaissance, with arms too long, legs too short, and hands and feet too big. A system of relationships alone did not make beauty happen.

It took the genius of Leonardo da Vinci to solve the problem. Leonardo started by drawing a perfectly proportioned man and then found the circle and square in the figure. The circle and square are only tangent at one place, the base. The thing that he added was beauty.

Some of you will be asking yourself, why was it so important to the Renaissance artists and philosophers that a human body could fit into a circle and a square? Some of you probably know the answer, but I will go into it for the benefit of those who do not.

The ideas that Vitruvius was expressing can be traced back to Pythagoras. Pythagoras lived in a Greek colony in Southern Italy in the 6th century, BCE, the same time that Buddha lived. Like Buddha, Pythagoras taught his male and female disciples that life is an endless wheel of reincarnations until we purify ourselves and return to our divine source.

Purification included a vegetarian diet, moral behavior, and contemplation of the numerical abstractions that underlie reality. Pythagoras was the first person to call himself a philosopher, which means to love Sophia (wisdom). We have no writing that can be attributed to Pythagoras; yet, he is one of a handful of people that were instrumental in creating Western culture. It is theorized that if he did write anything it would have been poetry and he would have signed it Orpheus.
    Orpheus, the mythical, semi-divine musician, was the founder of the first mystery cult, a religion based on a secret redemptive ritual. This religion is believed to be a major source for the Pythagorean teachings. Many of its followers were poets and musicians who believed that their inspiration came directly from Orpheus; hence, they would sign his name to their work.

In the Orphic creation myth, the beautiful god, Dionysus, is born of the incestuous union of Zeus and Persephone. Zeus' wife, Hera, is jealous and wishes to destroy the child. To accomplish this she has her allies, the Titans, dismember and devour him. Of course, Zeus is heart broken and in a fit of anger, he burns the Titans to ash with a volley of lightning bolts. Only Dionysus's heart remained, and from this, Zeus creates a new Dionysus. However, from the ash of the Titans mixed with the devoured Dionysus, the human race was born. Therefore, the human race is part divine and beautiful like Dionysus and part vicious and material like the Titans. The purpose of the Orphic mystery was to redeem the Dionystic soul and make it the dominant influence in the lives of the devotees.

The Orphics, like Pythagoras, saw a connection between music and numerical order. This type of reasoning lead to sacred geometry. Pythagoras taught that numbers had qualities as well as quantity and that geometric figures were powerful magical symbols. The circle, being connected to the dome of the sky and the cosmos with its spherical stars and planets continually circling the earth was a symbol of Dionysus, the soul.

The square, on the other hand, is the natural way that humans relate to the physical world. This is why there are four directions, four seasons, and four elements. It is why my house has four sides and I am sitting on a four-legged chair while I write this on my square keyboard and read it on my square screen. The square was a symbol of the Titanic human aspect.

The first step to the liberation of the soul is to recognize that we are made of both aspects. In Pythagorean thinking, if a human can be shown to fit into both symbols this would be a geometric proof of our dual nature. Many of these teachings were incorporated into alchemy, and other ancient disciplines. In this way, the teachings - although at times fragmented - were passed on to the Renaissance. In Venice around the year 1500, Leonardo once again demonstrated geometrically that the human soul is divine.

The common understanding of Pythagorean number mysticism seems to be that the Pythagoreans thought of the whole numbers as symbols that were equated to specific qualities as well as quantities - one was unity, two polarity, three the beginning of form, etc. This is true; however, the most powerful way that numbers were seen to impact on reality was as ratios. Ratios are relationships between numbers. For example, we can see that 4 relates to 8 the same way that 1 relates to 2 - they are the same ratio. The Pythagoreans found that music could be expressed as ratios, that the ratio 1:2 described the whole note, 2:3 the perfect fifth, and 3:4 the perfect forth, These realities underlie all musical harmony. Every culture has to find these same notes and create their musical scale around them in order to have music. Beauty has this objective aspect as well as a subjective aspect. Pythagoras believed that the universe was ordered in this same way. Because there were seven planets that he knew of, he created seven notes to correspond to them. He called the universe a cosmos, which meant that it was a beautiful, musical harmony - music of the spheres.

Classical artists used the same principal to develop the perfect figure, and ratio is what Leonardo made use of also. By this, we mean that we have to find a way of measuring the figure by making use of relationships within the figure - not by measuring it with an external scale such as inches or any other external system. The unit of choice was the head. Leonardo's figure has a one 1:8 ratio with its own head. In other words, it is 8 heads tall.

You will notice that Vitruvian Man has dividing lines drawn on his body. There is a line at the chin that indicates the limit of the 1 head unit, a line at the nipples that marks the length of 2 heads, a line at the groin that marks 4 heads, a line below the knees that marks 6 heads, and the base line the marks 8 heads. The base line forms the bottom of the square and the top rests on his head. Therefore, the square is 8 heads tall. Notice that the man's lower set of extended arms touch the square on both sides. Because the width of a square is equal to its height, the length of the arms has to be 8 heads as well. In other words, our extended arms are the same length as our body from head to toe. Try measuring your friends; you will find that this is true with only a slight variation. The vertical lines on the shoulders of Leonardo's figure measure the 2 head width of the torso at the shoulders; the line at the joint of each arm measures an additional 1 head in each direction; and then we jump another 2 heads on each side to the fingers and the sides of the square. However, the dividing line between the hand and the forearm stems from a different unit of measure. This is called the "golden proportion." Proportion is a relationship between two ratios. The Pythagoreans noticed that there are three different levels of complexity of proportion.

The most complex described a relationship of four items: A is to B as C is to D; 4:8 = 1:2. This was called discontinuous proportion. Next was continuous proportion, which involved three items: A is to B as B is to C; 1:3 = 3:9. The most sacred proportion involved two items, thereby drawing us back to primal duality. This was called the Golden Portion: A is to B as B is to A+B. Expressed mathematically as 1to the irrational number 1.61803commonly referred to by the Greek letter Phi. In Vitruvian Man, the length of his hand relates to his forearm in the same way that his forearm relates to the length of the forearm and hand combined- the golden portion.

These measures are then related to other parts of the figure. Notice how Leonardo conveniently shows us the man's left foot in profile. He even places the heel in front of the big toe of the right foot so that we can see the full length. The length of the foot is the same as the length of the forearm - demonstrating a golden relationship between the hand and the foot. The length of the hand can be related to the measurement of the face - from the chin to the hairline. The face in turn is divided into thirds, which coincide with the eyebrows and the tip of the nose - echoed in the length of the ears. The line at the eyebrows is the golden division of the entire head.

The golden relationship is the key to the proportions of the entire figure. For example, if we examine the length of the arm from the top of the shoulder to the tip of the fingers, we find that the elbow is the golden division. If we examine the length from the elbow to the fingers, we find the base of the hand at the wrist is the golden division. If we measure the hand, the fingers begin at the golden division, and fingers themselves are composed of segments with a golden relationship to each other. We can find the same pattern of proportion in the legs, feet, and torso. However, the most dramatic illustration of the golden portion is the division of the body at the navel. The relation ship of the distance from the top of the head to the navel is to the distance from the navel to the feet the same as the navel to the feet is to the entire height of the figure.

If we divide the square in half, we will find that the middle falls right at the line drawn through the groin. At the level of sexuality, we are centered in the physical. To find the center of the circle, the spiritual, we have to move up to the navel - the golden division. If we extend the horizontal line at the groin until it divides the square into two equal rectangles and then we draw diagonal lines connecting the corners of these rectangles. We will find that the diagonals intersect the circle as it extends through the center of each hand and foot. The pattern that is formed, with four equidistant points radiating out of a central fifth point (the navel where we were once connected to our life giving mother) is called a quincunx. This is a powerful archetypal symbol for sacredness that can be found in all cultures, and this is the same symbolic structure that is found on the World card in the Tarot.

The World card in the Tarot illustrates the same squaring of the circle. It depicts a sacred figure in the center; the archetypal Great Mother identified with the Navel of the World. To the alchemists, Hermeticists, and Neoplatonists, she is called the Anima Mundi, the Soul of the World. She forms a quincunx in relationship to the four figures in the four corners of the card - the four Evangelists, who through their relationship to the four fixed signs of the Zodiac relate to the four elements, the four directions, and the four seasons. The entire Tarot deck shares in this structure. The four minor suits relate to the square - the four elements, seasons, and directions. The trumps that move us along a spiritual journey of triumphs, that start with the four fold mundane world, take us through the hero's journey of death and rebirth, and back to the world - only now with the spirit exposed - the naked truth - are the circle. The message of the Tarot is the squaring of the circle.
    9 is a special number, but it is only a number and all the other numbers can be seen to have their own special unique properties as well. I do not think we should demonise any numbers.

The argument for 10 being the divine number is that it includes 1 the center of the circle and 9 the circle, I think the beauty of music has so many more elements than its frequency. I have heard beautiful music at 432hz and 440hz.

The tarot is of course a circle, the world being the final card, it is the card of perfection but the down side of this card is often seen as stagnation. If you think you are perfect and know it all, how can you grow, we need to return to the first card the fool, and be open to new knowledge. The snake has eaten its tail.
    Last edited by Dorjezigzag; 27th April 2014 at 23:35.
    “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The latter procedure, however, is disagreeable and therefore not popular.” (Carl Jung)

31. Link to Post #40
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

^The argument for 10 being the divine number is that it includes 1 the center of the circle and 9 the circle, I think the beauty of music has so many more elements than its frequency. I have heard beautiful music at 432hz and 440hz.

Music is beautiful full stop. You only have to start tapping your hands and forming a drum beat and that can be therapeutic. Hypnotic even..

I love each element. If you listen to Latin percussion or African drums to a horn section and hypnosis will takes over. I play Funk,Soul, Hip -Hop & Reggae. Each one of them contain an element, spiritual to your soul. Somebody asked me recently why I play Reggae? Without hesitation I replied 'Because you can just stand there and FEEL it' Baring in mind this was an intrigued girl of ethnic origin asking why a white guy from Essex was into such a sound (Essex, Uk isn't your most ethnic area of England after all )

In any event.. If 432 is the ultimate frequency for people to listen to good music - they need to know!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast