+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are we living ‘underwater’? Researchers believe the universe might be a ‘liquid superfluid’

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

Default Are we living ‘underwater’? Researchers believe the universe might be a ‘liquid superfluid’

Are we living ‘underwater’? Researchers believe the universe might be a ‘liquid superfluid’

New research suggest spacetime might be a type of ultra-cool fluid Known as a
    superfluid, this phase of matter possess unusual qualities.It would provide a medium for
    waves and photons to travel like sound in air.But for it to exist the researchers say it
    would need a viscosity of zero.This could provide us with a new theory of 'quantum gravity'

By Jonathan O'Callaghan
    Published: 10:43, 25 April 2014 | Updated: 17:27, 25 April 2014

What is ‘space’? Is it empty, or is it full of stuff that provides a medium through which
    photons, electromagnetic waves and everything else can move?

That’s a question scientists have yet to find an answer to, but a new theory suggests spacetime itself might be a ‘liquid superfluid’.

And, if proven true, it could force us to take another look at the Standard Model of physics.

Is spacetime a liquid? New research says that, if zero, it would have a viscosity of zero

The idea of spacetime being a fluid, known as ‘superfluid vacuum theory’ (SVT), isn’t
    entirely new – it was suggested as long as half a century ago.But researchers Stefano
    Liberati, a professor at the International School for Advanced Studies (SISSA) and Luca
    Maccione, a research scientist at the Ludwig-Maximilian University in Munich, are the
    first to tackle the question of the viscosity of such a liquid.

WHAT IS SPACETIME?

In Einstein’s 1905 Theory of Special Relativity, he was the first to propose that space
    and time might be linked.The term ‘spacetime’ was coined three years later by
    mathematician Hermann Minkowski.Einstein postulated that the speed of light (about
    300,000,000 metres per second) is the same for all observers. He also said that anyone
    moving at constant speed would observe the same physical laws.However, when
    someone moves through space, they would experience time at a slower rate.

This is because space and time can be thought of as one.

Consider a moon in orbit around a planet – the moon stays in orbit because the
    planet ‘warps’ space, keeping the moon snared in its gravity.In the same way, if you
    were to synchronise two clocks and then fly one away at great speeds into space, they
    would lose their synchronisation.This is because a great mass, or speed, can warp time
    just as it warps space.Thus, Einstein concluded that space and time must be inherently
    linked as spacetime.That is, they worked out how ‘thick’ the liquid would be – and they found it to be almost zero.

More...

Say hello to the hemihelix: Scientists reveal they have found a new SHAPE by playing
    around with rubber bands.Cosmic exploration laid bare: Photographer reveals striking
    images from behind the scenes of the European Space Agency.In their paper
    Astrophysical Constraints on Planck Scale Dissipative Phenomena, they tackle the
    question of spacetime being a fluid.They did this by creating models attempting to fuse
    gravity and quantum mechanics into ‘quantum gravity’.One of the biggest problems in
    understanding the universe has been trying to figure out how things move through
    space.Consider how waves move through water, for example – the wave propagates
    through the water, using it as a ‘medium’ through which to move.

As far as we know, a transfer of energy of this sort requires a medium, like how sound
    passes through air or heat through metal.How, then do electromagnetic waves, photons
    and so on move through space, where there is believed to be nothing? The supposed
    existence of a medium in space is more commonly known as an ether, but proving or
    disproving its existence has been a struggle.

In Liberati and Maccione’s research, they suggest that this ether is in fact a superfluid.

They say to us, the spacetime just appears as one ‘classical’ object, something that is
    whole.But instead we should consider it as being merely the ‘visible’ aspect of a fluid.

It is believed that some neutron stars left behind by supernovas, like the one at the
    centre of the Crab Nebula (pictured), may have superfluid cores.Consider, in the same
    way, how we perceive water – to us it appears to be a flowing liquid, but in actuality it
    is a mass of H2O molecules.

WHAT IS A SUPERFLUID?

A superfluid is a fluid that can flow endlessly without losing energy.It is a phase of
    matter that is achieved by liquids or gases when they are cooled sufficiently.At certain temperatures near absolute zero, their atoms begin to occupy the same ‘quantum state’.

This means that the atoms lose their individual identities, and instead behave like a
    single super-atom.Helium, for example, exhibits superfluid properties at 2 Kelvin (-271.15ºC, -456.07ºF).

Superfluids have several unique properties.

They can, for example, climb the walls of unsealed containers.

They also transfer heat exceedingly well – a superfluid will evaporate before it has a chance to boil.
    Spacetime, the researchers say, is made of its own H20 molecules – although what
    these would be is unknown.A key point of evidence for their theory revolves around the
    four fundamental forces of the universe – electromagnetism, weak interaction, strong
    interaction and gravity.Quantum mechanics is able to explain all of these except for
    gravity.The researchers say that a plausible model for quantum gravity would be the
    superfluidity of the cosmos.But to model it as a fluid requires us to understand its
    viscosity, how thick it is, which they estimate to be close to zero.

‘If spacetime is a kind of fluid, then we must also take into account its viscosity and
    other dissipative effects, which had never been considered in detail,’ explains Liberati.

The reason for a viscosity of almost is that this would allow photons and other particles
    to travel with ease.

In our current models quantum mechanics can explain all the forces of the universe -
    except gravity

‘We can see photons travelling from astrophysical objects located millions of light years
    away,’ continues Liberati.

‘If spacetime is a fluid, then according to our calculations it must necessarily be a
    superfluid.

‘This means that its viscosity value is extremely low, close to zero.

‘We also predicted other weaker dissipative effects, which we might be able to see with
    future astrophysical observations.

‘Should this happen, we would have a strong clue to support the emergent models of
    spacetime.

‘With modern astrophysics technology the time has come to bring quantum gravity from
    a merely speculative view point to a more phenomenological one.

‘One cannot imagine a more exciting time to be working on gravity.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz2zzDL3EF6
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Agape (26th April 2014), bruno dante (26th April 2014), christian (27th April 2014), chrysocolla (27th April 2014), Craig (26th April 2014), Dawn (27th April 2014), Ellisa (27th April 2014), Fairy Friend (27th April 2014), fourty-two (28th April 2014), GaelVictor (26th April 2014), Gardener (27th April 2014), joeecho (26th April 2014), markpierre (26th April 2014), mojo (27th April 2014), naste.de.lumina (26th April 2014), phillipbbg (26th April 2014), Rich (26th April 2014), seeker/reader (27th April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (26th April 2014), Wind (26th April 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

Default Re: Are we living ‘underwater’? Researchers believe the universe might be a ‘liquid superfluid’

Feels like a fishbowl. They might be right.

There's this group of people; researchers and scientists, who for some reason everyone finds their mention credible.
    And who, though they've discovered (the ones who are really there) some interesting things, have never reached a conclusion.
    Mostly they get paid really well to disagree with each other.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

Delight (26th April 2014), mojo (27th April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (26th April 2014), Wind (26th April 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 765 posts

Default Re: Are we living ‘underwater’? Researchers believe the universe might be a ‘liquid superfluid’

Maybe there is no difference between time and space, we can't think of one without the other.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

markpierre (5th May 2014), mojo (27th April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (26th April 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

Maybe time and space are the same thing ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

markpierre (5th May 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (26th April 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I concluded this idea also. Here is an old link to my thread on Avalon:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...141#post322141

If you can read the Dutch language, checkout my website:

http://home.kpn.nl/chip (updated today 26 april 2014)

If you cannot read it, you just may look at the pictures.
    In Dutch superfluidity is called "supervloeibaar".

Still working on it, but due to lack of time the project grows only slowly. I tried to get help, but all doors are closed and locked.

For me empty space IS electromagnetism. Thus Light with the highest possible frequency. Space is not just space, it's also a four dimensional Time/space. But the fourth dimension is NOT Time, it's SIZE. Change of size (= frequency) is experienced as Time, the fifth dimension. All is driven at the Absolute Zero temperature which acts as an 'Absorption force', a kind of negative or outward working supergravity, in a timeless frozen space. That is space in which nothing can exist or move. Space without time, thus absolute cold.

Fish in four dimensional Timespace with superfluid. Each block is a quantumstep of 'Plancktime'.

If somebody, for instant a scientist in need of inspiration, is interested in more of my ideas, try via the above thread which I still monitor.

Red Skywalker

(This information is of course copyrighted. Contact me if you want to use it)
    Last edited by Red Skywalker; 26th April 2014 at 18:25.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red Skywalker For This Post:

Ellisa (27th April 2014), markpierre (5th May 2014), seeker/reader (27th April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (26th April 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

if one gives any credulity to David Icke whatsover he has continuously stated the entire universe consists totally/exclusively of wave forms and all "solids" (water is a 'wet solid') as we perceive them are holographic illusions including the sight and 'feel' (decoded touch sense) of water;

I wouldn't say we're all living under water but in an illusionary soap bubble (or are both the same thing?)- either way I think we're all living in a false reality;

just had to chuckle as Icke in his "Perception Deception" quoted a supposed Chinese saying where one fish asks another fish:

"do you believe in this 'ocean' concept everyone's been talking about?" (paraphrase)-

please stay well all-

Larry

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Ellisa (27th April 2014), markpierre (5th May 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    either way I think we're all living in a false reality;
    And what would make you classify something as a false reality and another as a real reality?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

Ellisa (27th April 2014), markpierre (5th May 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Australia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,067 times in 950 posts

OK--- Way out of my comfort zone here, but what an amazing idea!

I really like the fish thing too! I almost understood it, I think, and it looks very elegant. And, no, I don't understand Dutch.

EmEx/ Cardillac--- Is there such a thing as a false reality? Would it not be a real reality in some circumstances? Like a belief only exists because someone believes it? Surely if you were living in a false reality to you it would be real? Wouldn't it?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellisa For This Post:

markpierre (5th May 2014), Rich (27th April 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

This makes a lot of sense; the waters above. It resonates with me much more than the idea of "empty" space does. Big thank you for posting Cidersomerset!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

markpierre (5th May 2014), seeker/reader (27th April 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ellisa (here)
    EmEx/ Cardillac--- Is there such a thing as a false reality? Would it not be a real reality in some circumstances? Like a belief only exists because someone believes it? Surely if you were living in a false reality to you it would be real? Wouldn't it?
    I think so. Does the reality make you real or do you make it real? Or can it be separated at all? Does the reality not reflect our believes, therefore is it not one and the same with our current concept of our self?
    What is the difference between a dream and this reality? I have found through observing my experiences is that in 'this' reality there is more of my personality/mind while in a night dream there is a smaller part of my personality that's why I sometimes do things in a dream that I would never do here. But that dream is also real for that part of me, it reflects that part of my consciousness/believe.
    Since every reality uses the concept of time/space is not all of it equally unreal or real?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Post:

markpierre (5th May 2014)

+ Reply to Thread