+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Achieving 'No-self'

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Avalon Member DangerousDan's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Achieving 'No-self'

I`m not going to go on about the 'event' itself,as it is somewhat subjective depending on how you`re wired and I don`t want to color your experience with my own.I`m also going to assume you know what it is I`m referring to by 'no-self',since you have enough interest to have read this far Now then,again,depending how you`re wired,you may find that 'reasoning it out' or 'thinking it through' works best for you.People like that tend to be good visualizers and can hold an image in their minds,which is a most valuable tool I unfortunately lack.For you folks,I recommend you set aside some personal time tonight and have a go at this: http://www.no-self.com/
    If you follow directions and don`t skip ahead this may be your ticket.Your keys to the kingdom. Some friends of mine and online acquaintances have gotten results with that method,but it does take commitment.You have really want it,and once you catch a glimpse,you will!

For the the attention span challenged lot,like me,there is the following guided meditation : https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1RdEVXWXbU

Yeah I know,Paul Santisi is a little 'out there' and a bit of a showman,but this really works if you approach it right.By that I mean sitting comfortably alone in the dark with headphones on.You`ll need some 'me time' where you be undisturbed for at least two hours.Just sit there and soak it up.Surrender to what he is saying completely.If you find your mind wandering just bring it back. There is great power in intention,so taking the first step will definitely put the wheels in motion if this is truly something you want for yourself.And if no results are forthcoming,don`t give up!Try,try again.

'You need only choose... then keep choosing as many times as necessary. That is all you need do. And it is certainly something you can do. Then as you continue to choose, everything is yours.'

-Vernon Howard

One thing to remember is that your mind won`t like where you`re going with this and will try to resist through distraction,discouragement,continuous dialog,whatever it can muster.'It' thinks this process is akin to death (it`s not!) and will try to preserve itself independently of your will.This alone should demonstrate quite clearly that 'you' are not your mind.

'We must become acquainted with our emotional household: we must see our feelings as they actually are, not as we assume they are. This breaks their hypnotic and damaging hold on us.'

-Vernon Howard

To further illustrate this extremely important point,ladies and gentlemen,my fellow countryman Mr Jim Carey!He knows.Only someone who`s been there can describe it as such.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uIaY0l5qV0c

He explains it a hell of a lot better than I ever could.

"All forms of self-defeating behavior are unseen and unconscious, which is why their existence is denied."

-Vernon Howard

Once again,you are not that 'babbling thing' between your ears!

'The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look'

-Julius Caesar

Here is the great Jason Statham coming to terms with 'the babbling beast' between his ears,a.k.a.,the ego.This is a powerful scene from Revolver which illustrates the problem well.You really ought to watch this,it`s brilliant.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JpsnVoRgDwY

Silencing your mind,even if for a moment at first,is a step into something so 'different' it cannot be described .By silencing the beast,you make 'room' for something much greater to enter,and I promise you will never be the same again.Just a glimpse and you will know!Concentrate on that first glimpse and go from there,and above all,BE FEARLESS!Well I hope some of the above was helpful to at least one of you.I sure as hell am no Guru of any sort and make no claim of being wiser than anyone,but I have been an explorer of mind for many years and know from experience we are much more than the sum of our biological components.Knowing this is very liberating and that is all I am trying to get across in my own way.If you have a go and get results or just wish to comment please feel free to post.

Good hunting.

'Everyone must concede that there is in existence something wiser than himself. Now there is a challenge, there is a challenge which few even investigate. We're going to do that now. Let's see what we're talking about. All troubled people, which is all people, must if they are going to be delivered from themselves, must make the concession that there is a force, an entity, a power that is higher than their own present nature.'

-Vernon Howard

edit: I`m not going to call this enlightenment,transcendence,eternal bliss,ect,yada,yada,.You`re not gaining anything of the sort by the above practice.In fact I have no idea what any of those things are,or even if they are real.That`s not my business. Just so we`re clear.
    Last edited by DangerousDan; 3rd May 2014 at 05:46.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DangerousDan For This Post:

Carmen (3rd May 2014), mahalall (4th May 2014), markpierre (3rd May 2014), Maunagarjana (4th May 2014), NancyV (3rd May 2014), Rich (3rd May 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,459 times in 1,312 posts

Default Re: Achieving 'No-self'

'No self' isn't exactly an achievement. It's the nature of something that realizes it's joined with everything that is.
    Pretty much everything in the universe except for the humans. They've taught themselves and perpetuate some pretty 'contrary to Reality' ideas.
    'Not this' (a separate discrete isolated being) maybe is an achievement. Makes you a little more aware of how meaningless conditioned thinking is.
    But I wouldn't get too preoccupied with achieving what's inevitable when you leave here.
    Maybe spending some attention on being a more affective and helpful and loving human. To demonstrate that. That's why you left 'there'.

Any spiritual practice is helpful, but if it isn't to integrate the heart and real love into your actions and intentions,
    it's sorta against the current that brought you here. Love is what sent you. You didn't come here because you're bad or you're dumb.
    You came here because you have the qualities that can be the most helpful. Someone dropped the jigsaw puzzle. You're one of the pieces.
    If you have those 'mystical' moments, use them to help dispel doubt about yourself.

'Selflessness'! Now that's something you can achieve without any mental or spiritual gymnastics at all. Get out there and action it.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

blotter (5th May 2014), Finefeather (3rd May 2014), greybeard (3rd May 2014), Grizz Griswold (3rd May 2014), Rich (3rd May 2014), Sunny-side-up (3rd May 2014), Wind (3rd May 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

Budha became enlightened when he realized that Maya( delusion) was a part of himself. The mind will always try to control you but you can calmly ignore it. Any action that is done without greed approaches one to pureness. Praying with full concentration approaches one to pureness. Meditating is a deep way of achieving detachment from our physical self which is not our true identity. Our true identity will come out once we are able to free ourselves from desires, attachment and greed. I analyze all my actions and check if I have been pure or not. If I get angry or frustrated during a day, my meditation session is more disturbed. If one's mind is not calm, actions are shaky. There needs to be a balance between the spiritual and material life and they are both linked.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guish For This Post:

blotter (5th May 2014), greybeard (3rd May 2014), Grizz Griswold (3rd May 2014), mahalall (4th May 2014), markpierre (3rd May 2014), Wind (3rd May 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 times in 692 posts

Quote Posted by markpierre (here)
    'No self' isn't exactly an achievement. It's the nature of something that realizes it's joined with everything that is.
    Pretty much everything in the universe except for the humans. They've taught themselves and perpetuate some pretty 'contrary to Reality' ideas.
    'Not this' (a separate discrete isolated being) maybe is an achievement. Makes you a little more aware of how meaningless conditioned thinking is.
    But I wouldn't get too preoccupied with achieving what's inevitable when you leave here.
    Maybe spending some attention on being a more affective and helpful and loving human. To demonstrate that. That's why you left 'there'.

Any spiritual practice is helpful, but if it isn't to integrate the heart and real love into your actions and intentions,
    it's sorta against the current that brought you here. Love is what sent you. You didn't come here because you're bad or you're dumb.
    You came here because you have the qualities that can be the most helpful. Someone dropped the jigsaw puzzle. You're one of the pieces.
    If you have those 'mystical' moments, use them to help dispel doubt about yourself.

'Selflessness'! Now that's something you can achieve without any mental or spiritual gymnastics at all. Get out there and action it.
    Yes!!! Markpierre

this is my experience and understanding also..

such a simple and satisfying road, especially when you find yourself reconnecting the pieces to that:"dropped jig-saw".. in your own sense of being in relation to the ALL.

Subjectivity melds... when the ideation of self surrenders to that which is expansive...
    and impermanent
    Last edited by Hazel; 3rd May 2014 at 08:39.

8. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by recap1 (here)
    Yes!!! Markpierre

this is my experience and understanding also..

such a simple and satisfying road, especially when you find yourself reconnecting the pieces to that:"dropped jig-saw".. in your own sense of being in relation to the ALL.

Subjectivity melds... when the ideation of self surrenders to that which is expansive...
    and impermanent
    Well it's kind of interesting that the only thing that compels us into exploring 'other realms' of consciousness
    is how uncomfortable we feel with our selves. Awareness is the only thing that changes.

Once you're aware that you don't like yourself very much, you can begin to learn to love yourself.
    When the real you is allowed out of the 'naughty corner', and decides that it never deserved punishment,
    that the world is there for enjoyment and caring and sharing, all that other cool stuff gets released as quickly as you are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (3rd May 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Guish (here)
    Budha became enlightened when he realized that Maya( delusion) was a part of himself. The mind will always try to control you but you can calmly ignore it. Any action that is done without greed approaches one to pureness. Praying with full concentration approaches one to pureness. Meditating is a deep way of achieving detachment from our physical self which is not our true identity. Our true identity will come out once we are able to free ourselves from desires, attachment and greed. I analyze all my actions and check if I have been pure or not. If I get angry or frustrated during a day, my meditation session is more disturbed. If one's mind is not calm, actions are shaky. There needs to be a balance between the spiritual and material life and they are both linked.
    Buddha would say 'so what's wrong with 'disturbed' or 'frustrated'? Or he'd say, 'whats the problem with shaky?' If he didn't he should have.
    That's when seeking to overcome those things becomes a sedation.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markpierre For This Post:

greybeard (4th May 2014), Grizz Griswold (3rd May 2014)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Latti's Avatar
    Thanks

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 times in 1,583 posts

[QUOTE=markpierre;830051]
    Quote Posted by Guish (here)

Buddha would say 'so what's wrong with 'disturbed' or 'frustrated'? Or he'd say, 'whats the problem with shaky?' If he didn't he should have.
    That's when seeking to overcome those things becomes a sedation.
    He left his kingdom to find a way of ending suffering. He was known to be someone who questioned everything and someone who would spend hours observing nature. We know how important these two things are in our spiritual evolution.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Guish For This Post:

greybeard (4th May 2014)

15. Link to Post #9
    United Arab Emirates Avalon Member mahalall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 591 posts

Within meditation systems that explore sensation-a discerning approach based on the nature of change will help you on the path.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anicca

+ Reply to Thread