+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Skills and Making money after the Collapse.

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,670 times in 1,986 posts

Default Re: Skills and Making money after the Collapse.

Quote Posted by sjkted (here)
    We may end up going back to simpler tech as well. It's nice to have fancy things, but I bought some antique vacuum tube radios for the collapse that work quite well and are also a novelty, and also are EMP-proof. There's no reason why we can't have electronics that can be repaired, even if that means they aren't as small or convenient.
    Yes ... Dr. John Waterman recommended this:

It's very nice and normally it would be very convenient with all bands in it ... it can be powered from batteries
    But as you would expect ... full of solid state electronics ... forget about repairs.

I'll stick to my good old:

Solid state too (individual parts however), final stage amplifier is with tubes. This one has better repair options.
    But it is not so easily powered by batteries.

So KISS (Keep It Stupid Simple)

2. Link to Post #22
    Cayman Islands Deactivated
    Thanks

On my last post, I spoke about potential fuel sources. Aside from biodiesel/vegetable oil, I see this as a real possibility. With this system, no matter where you are, you'll never run out of fuel. During WWII, I've heard estimates of 1 million vehicles were modified to run on biomass. See the below video.

--sjkted

3. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member xbusymom's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 times in 396 posts

so what would your list of needed KISS skills be?

4. Link to Post #24
    Cayman Islands Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by xbusymom (here)
    so what would your list of needed KISS skills be?
    Knowing how to repair literally everything you own and depend on.

--sjkted

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sjkted For This Post:

Luke (20th October 2010)

6. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

Knowing how to repair literally everything you own and depend on.

--sjkted
    Yes, I agree. That's what I aimed at in post #3 ...
    In the movie "My name is Khan" he travels and pays for his expenses simply by holding up a sign: "Repairs Almost Everything".
    I am a kind of tinker myself and am often teased by my peers with the text on that sign.

I am afraid it is an a-specific answer but sjkted said it well. Maybe you should generate a list of things you depend on.

In another post I suggested to turn of the main power switch and lock the main water tap for a day and see how to deal with it.
    It's a harsh but quick way to learn.

Not only do you need repair skills but what about hygiene ... what to do without toilet paper, soap etc.
    You need to be able to create somehow your own ...

7. Link to Post #26
    Poland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 times in 244 posts

Great input guys and galls

That's why when people ask what to invest into , I do not say "gold ans silver", as so many alternatives do.
    I say first skill and knowledge!
    I do not intent to say, make my own clothes, but I know how to make them, and I can pass that knowledge to someone who will make it his focus. Same goes with anything else, you learn not only for yourself, you also learn so you can pass those skills, to organize people and communities too!

To many survivalist focus on "lone warrior" scenario, while in reality you would always be dealing with lots of people. Quick math from past: in hunter-gatherer mode, earth can support population of about 15-20 million alpha-predators. When we introduce basic bio-farming (middle age level of technology) - this capacity goes up to 500 million (yes, there is no coincidence with that number).

Current nearly 7 billion figure is made possible by intensive farming, but this is topsoil-limited, and there is giant crisis lingering there- the amount of energy taken out of biosphere is greater than regenerative rate. That does not mean "malthusian trap" though- only that instead of pillaging ecosphere we should extend it's natural output. IMO, that is giant factor in things to come, but neophobiac elite is unable to see it. They see a wall here, while we should see opportunity. They want to scale back to their beloved feudalism, we should allow ourselves to take other way- instead of attempt controlling Nature - merge with it and cooperate (ok, I'm again sounding sciencefictionish, but hope you get my drift)
    Last edited by Luke; 20th October 2010 at 07:22.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luke For This Post:

Linden (26th January 2011)

9. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Wise words Luke ...

Quote To many survivalist focus on "lone warrior" scenario, while in reality you would always be dealing with lots of people.
    Yeah, many people can't even function in solitude ... that's only feasible for a few.
    But I think life may go back to a kind of tribe culture ... share with like minded but keep an eye on diversity in skills.

10. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,835 times in 3,731 posts

Let each man's actions be measured by their brothers need.

Basically, adopt a strictly service to others disposition and then the system becomes self regulating. Everyone gets looked after and everything is shared.

Ultimately the only people who will survive over the coming changes will be of this kind - the others will fall at the hand of insurmountable catalyst.

That which is shared - is skills, food, love, etc
    Last edited by Anchor; 20th October 2010 at 08:21.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

11. Link to Post #29
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

can do stuff with an old lawnmower engine and a 12v alternater out of a car with the addition of a pulley

12. Link to Post #30
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi Operator,

I'm still waiting for my CB radio to arrive from the US. The ariel and SWR meter have been received, it's just the radio which is still open.

I reckon if everything goes south, we'll only need to keep in touch with people around us (within 10 miles) as people on the other side of the world will not really be that important. It's a case of "One small blip for man, one giant leap backwards for mankind".

Best regards,

Steve

13. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Quote Posted by steve_a (here)
    Hi Operator,

I'm still waiting for my CB radio to arrive from the US. The ariel and SWR meter have been received, it's just the radio which is still open.

I reckon if everything goes south, we'll only need to keep in touch with people around us (within 10 miles) as people on the other side of the world will not really be that important. It's a case of "One small blip for man, one giant leap backwards for mankind".

Best regards,

Steve
    Hi Steve,

You maybe right .... 2 small hand held portables are very cheap in the USA ... it can replace e.g. cell phone traffic.
    With HAM equipment 2m (VHF) and 70cm (UHF) bands can be used for local traffic ... The shortwave (HF) equipment
    can be used with it's typical bands for intermediate and long ranges. But that is under normal circumstances !
    Who knows how everything will change if our climate/atmosphere alters.

But I guess you left family behind in Europe like I did ... so the other side of the world is still relevant too.
    My brother is a HAM operator too ... so for me the chances are a bit higher that I will actually use it one day.

Since the internet we've been spoiled ... communication is currently replaced by Skype of course.

B.t.w. CB is usually on 11m/27 Mhz (there are new types on UHF). I had success with 10 m/29 Mhz from
    Europe contacting the USA and Japan once with only 4 Watts and FM modulation.

PM me if you want to share the details of your equipment (band/modulation type etc.) and the callsign
    you plan to use (or do you get one assigned in Brazil). Same applies for others too of course.
    We've had this session 2 years before ... it was too early. I feel the time now becomes more and more
    critical ...

73, Op.

14. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

I would think basic needs would be a first priority...food and water of course, but more with a view towards being self sufficient rather than all storage. I'm of a mind that the 'pillaging' thing is going to be pretty short and limited when you consider how many unprepared people will be raiding empty stores for foods and batteries. We're returning to our home town (still called a village) and to a piece of land with it's own well and a house with a wood stove.
    At the present time there are small companies that provide reasonably priced solar panels and homestead sized wind generators. I would think those would not only be a good investment for the immediate future but also to those who might want to learn how to build/install/maintain. We have solar flashlights and I believe (though I have not yet acquired) that there are solar powered or hand crank short wave radio sets?
    I am also considering that an immediate productive garden may not be possible, and will take some time to produce anyways...and have stockpiled a largish assortment of seeds for sprouting. 3 - 5 days gives you fresh greens that are nutrient rich.
    Also...(sorry, can't remember his name) but the Japanese guy who came up with the method of taking trash plastic and converting it back to petroleum products...he was basically using a still. So another option and/or future job skill. Lord knows there is enough trash plastic around.
    I would certainly encourage everyone to get to your nearest Red Cross and take a CPR and basic first aid course...(and here's optimism for you) learn some basic mid-wife skills. (another future job opportunity!)
    I've been busy collecting non-power stuff. Hand saw, axes, fishing tackle, gardening tools, saving nails and screws and rope and twine.
    Survival and rebuilding civilization will require a great deal of busyness.
    We might want to figure out a way to keep TPTB and the bad guys permanently jailed in their D.U.M.B.'s...but on second thought, I have a very strong intuitive sense that the planet will take care of that for us.
    Peace, light and love.
    Ki

15. Link to Post #33
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi Operator,

Over here (or down here as you're in the Caribbean) the government keeps PX radio at 27mhz. Also it's all government controlled and they gave me a license number, however I will call myself AB12 (pronounced "aah bay dauzee"). I'm doing this not because I feel that the grid will collapse, but because I think it'll be interesting. By coincidence it also makes up part of a plan that I'm hatching to be executed in around two years or so, hence my post about welding in this thread, which also makes up part.

As the preparations become more evident I will try and keep everyone updated (eventually I will open up a blog about the project - but that's only when things really get moving - I'm still in the information gathering and preparation stages at the moment).

I have a brother and sister back in the UK and I enter in contact whenever I can, or they enter in contact with me whenever there's another death in the family! I went back to the UK to bury my father, mother and brother-in-law, although not necessarily in that order. Not wanting to go too deep, but whenever I went back, the people I know didn't change an iota, living in the same house, doing the same thing, living the same life, all of their lives. That to me was something I just couldn't get to grips with. I hope that when my project gets off the ground it will serve as an inspiration for many to do something 'out of the ordinary' in their lives, to break the mould (not the fungus). It really isn't hard to do. You moved to the Caribbean from Europe, I eventually arrived here in Brazil and beleive it or not, the last 27 years of my life started out as just a two weeks holiday from work!! There really is so much to see and do in this world.

Best regards,

Steve

16. Link to Post #34
    Poland Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 times in 244 posts

In order to make real change, we need to cover 5 bases:

1. Energy (as in Food, Electricity, things to burn in stove, things that keep you running in general)
    2. Communication (internet for now, but it could be luxury in few months. Question for our radio-operators here about possibility of digital transmission vial long waves? Of course stuff needs to be encoded and on custom soft, but for now, possibilities)
    3. Transport (goods, energy and energy medium. Toughest nut to crack, as you need a way to cover large distances without much interference from both current power structures and/or other bands. Also setting up commerce schemes. Hawala too.)
    4. Justice (In ideal world, this would not be needed, but it's not it. Disputes must be settled in objective way, fast. More bloody noses mean less wars)
    5. Manufacturing (You need to make stuff to ease your living. From toilet bowl to pipes to faucets to stoves. )

Any thoughts on that?

17. Link to Post #35
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Hi Luke,

The answers to your questions are around you already. The Romany community have lived 'on the road' for centuries and survived, mostly very well. The secret of living is adaptability. You need to be able to adapt to different people and situations (in my six months experience long ago in the UK).

Also most of these questions have been answered, albeit briefly, in this thread, with some suggestions about how to keep making "money" (money should be taken to mean 'create value') if anything drastic happens in this world over the next few years.

On this forum there are herbalists, people who look for wild berries and vegetables, even one who used to go poaching when he was younger (but that's another story!).

The information is out there. However, my suggestion would be to try and not form an idea of everything that will be needed for the future, as in each of our cases, our future will be vastly different from each other, as our situations will be different. Will it really be necessary for us to communicate to the other side of the world? Probably not. If we need to communicate locally, word of mouth will become the norm. Travellers also carry messages for people.

Will we need to maufacture taps? Across here in Brazil in the more rural areas, there isn't even running water, so a bucket is of more value to fetch water from the lake. In my personal case, I have a small farm and I catch rainwater from the roof. Do I have taps? Yes. Can I live without them? Yes. I just have to look at what the other people do, but only when I need to. Try not to over think things out. Solve one problem at a time and I'm sure everything will work out fine.

If in doubt, ask a Romane. And when in Rome.....

Best regards,

Steve

18. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

I believe it is a good time to begin hoarding small materials that may be used for building and repairing. Other then the usual tools, such as hammers, hatches, shovels etc, it would be good on hand to have an abundance of nails, screws, nuts and bolts of all sizes. These can then be used to barter with, along with repairing and building homes and shelters.

I had started my collection mainly for building twig furniture, but as I see it growing, I see the possibilities of having extra parts for bartering down the road. I am not concerned about making money, just having something worthwhile that someone else may need from me down the road.

in love & light

in love & light
    The states of awareness we currently perceive are only a thiny fraction of the whole.
    The continuum extends deep into nonphysical areas of the universe far beyond our current physical comprehension ~ William Buhlman

19. Link to Post #37
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Twig furniture was mentioned. When I was in Egypt earlier this year, I watched one Egyptian hack away at some reeds. He'd slice it up, bend it, fasten it to place and allow it to dry to make any furniture he needed. It was amazing to watch.

20. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member eris23's Avatar
    Thanks

The survival podcast is a great resource. http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/
    “There must be some kind of way out of here,”
    Said the joker to the thief.
    --Bob Dylan

21. Link to Post #39
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

On my last post, I spoke about potential fuel sources. Aside from biodiesel/vegetable oil, I see this as a real possibility. With this system, no matter where you are, you'll never run out of fuel. During WWII, I've heard estimates of 1 million vehicles were modified to run on biomass. See the below video.

--sjkted
    Thank you sjkted. As one who's crossed the Golden Gate bridge numerous times by vehicle, foot and bicycle, I can attest to that it was filmed there.

22. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,544 times in 2,615 posts

I'm traveling in Mexico this week..

In one town I saw a cart being pulled by a horse... the cart had an axel taken from a car... and had regular car tires.
    On top a wooden box was placed with a seat for the driver.

I think this may be more reality based that making diesl fuel from oil. Remember, all that oil that people use to make their homemade fuel generally comes from resturants.. that would likely be out of business...

People will still need to get around, but the horse and mule will have renewed value. In Mexico, in some areas they are still valued means of transport.

So a two horse team pulling a good trailer or wagon with a couple of manual hand saws can make their way to the forest to collect wood for the local community, to heat their homes, cook their meals, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast