+ Reply to Thread

Thread: H.R.Giger - Creator of the ALIEN - Gruyere, Switzerland

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,369 times in 4,614 posts

Default H.R.Giger - Creator of the ALIEN - Gruyere, Switzerland

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27390345

Alien designer HR Giger dies at 74

The Swiss artist and designer of Ridley Scott's Alien, H. R. Giger, has died aged 74, a spokesperson at Giger's museum in Gruyere has confirmed.

He died of injuries sustained after he fell down stairs at his Zurich home.

Born in 1940, Giger was best known for his 'Xenomorph' alien in Scott's sci-fi horror masterpiece for which he won a visual effects Oscar in 1980.

He studied architecture and industrial design in Zurich and was known for creating strange dreamscapes.

Meticulously detailed, Giger's surrealist paintings were usually produced in large formats and then reworked with an airbrush and usually feature scenes of humans and machines fused together.

Giger described his style as "biomechanical".

One of his pieces in particular - Necronom IV - inspired the titular alien killer in Sir Ridley's hit film.

He also worked on Aliens 3 (1992) and, more recently, appeared in a documentary about director Alejandro Jodorowsky's unmade film of the book Dune.

In 1998, he opened his own museum in Gruyeres, Switzerland, which alongside his own paintings and sculptures, displays works from his own art collection from the likes of Salvador Dali, Dada and Ernst Fuchs.

The museum is run by the artist's wife, Carmen Maria Scheifele Giger.

In December 2004, Giger received the prestigious award, La Medaille de la Ville de Paris, at Paris City Hall.

Last year, he was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in Seattle, along with fellow inductees, David Bowie and JRR Tolkien.

His work has also been exhibited around the world, including recent retrospectives in Hamburg, Germany, Moscow and Istanbul.

Museum HR Giger in Gruyeres, Switzerland : http://www.hrgigermuseum.com/index2....on=shortmovies

Worth the exploration , has it's own Tarot card desk ..

At the same time ....

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27322166

Colin Pillinger dies after brain haemorrhage

Quote British planetary scientist Colin Pillinger, best known for his 2003 attempt to land a spacecraft on Mars, has died aged 70, his family have said.

Prof Pillinger was at his home in Cambridge when he suffered a brain haemorrhage and fell into a deep coma.

His family said he later died at Addenbrooke's Hospital without regaining consciousness.

His death was "devastating and unbelievable", they said in a statement.

Dr David Parker, the chief executive of the UK Space Agency, led the tributes.

He told the BBC that Prof Pillinger had played a critical role in raising the profile of the British space programme and had inspired "young people to dream big dreams".

The Science Minister David Willetts called him a "delightful man and a free spirit". And added: "His vision of space exploration and his dedication to it inspired the nation."

And Prof Mark Sims, the mission manager on the 2003 Beagle-2 probe, recalled: "Colin was a top-rate scientist. You might not have agreed with him but he always went for what he believed in. It was a privilege to have known him and worked with him, both as a friend and colleague."

'Unfinished business'
    Prof Pillinger was the driving force behind Beagle-2, which was built to search for life on Mars.

The little craft was carried piggyback to the Red Planet on a European satellite, but vanished without trace after being dropped off to make its landing.

Prof Pillinger continued to push space agencies to complete what he called "unfinished business on Mars", and was sometimes critical of the delays that have seen Europe's follow-up rover mission, ExoMars, slip back to 2018.

Fans took to Twitter on Thursday to pay tribute to the scientist, with author Keith Mansfield calling him a "great advocate" for space and Mars.

Phil Ford, a writer on Dr Who, said: "Very sad to see Prof Colin Pillinger has died. A proper British boffin who will be fondly remembered for the Beagle Mars mission."

Apollo samples
    At the age of 62, Prof Pillinger was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which made it difficult for him to walk.

He said the illness would not diminish his research, and his motorised buggy was often seen racing around scientific conferences.

"Bloody-minded," was how he described his own approach to life. "If I ever said as a child 'I can't do this', my father would always say, 'There's no such thing as can't'," he recalled on the BBC's Desert Island Discs programme.

Pillinger with Apollo
    A young Pillinger analyses moon samples (top, near), and with Apollo 11's Neil Armstrong (bottom)
    With colleagues at the Open University, where he headed the Department of Physical Sciences until 2005, he was keenly looking forward to this year's Rosetta mission.

The pan-European venture plans to put a lander on a comet this November, and an OU instrument will help investigate the object's chemistry.

"It's important to note that Colin's contribution to planetary science goes back to working on Moon samples from Apollo, as well as his work on meteorites," said Dr Parker.

"While we still don't know for certain what happened to Beagle-2, I'd say that the project was a turning point in bringing together the space science and industrial communities in the UK - which didn't used to speak with one voice. Beagle-2 wasn't built in Colin's backyard: it was the product of UK brains and hard-work in many companies and universities."

Science advocate
    For the British media, Prof Pillinger was often the go-to man for a comment when a new piece of space science was published.

The press appreciated his straight-talking, and the whiskers and the Bristolian accent just added to his appeal.

He had an especially sharp eye for a good headline, once demonstrating the relatively small scale of Beagle-2 by loading a replica into a supermarket trolley and wheeling it through the car park of the Open University. The footage was picked up by the satirical programme Have I Got News for You? ensuring that news of the mission reached a far wider audience.

On the publication of his biography in 2010, My Life On Mars, he recalled an event that made him realise that the lost probe would be his legacy.

Check their 'old age' photos , as if the 2 looked similar .

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Billy (13th May 2014), Dorjezigzag (16th May 2014), Hervé (15th May 2014), jsl2837 (19th May 2014), Krist (13th May 2014), ktlight (14th May 2014), WhiteFeather (13th May 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Default Re: H.R.Giger - Creator of the ALIEN - Gruyere, Switzerland

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    Last year, he was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in Seattle, along with fellow inductees, David Bowie and JRR Tolkien.
    This made me laugh. Saying that the works of Tolkien are fictitious is like saying Hitler's characteristic mustache was really just an ink blot.
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Agape (13th May 2014), ktlight (14th May 2014), WhiteFeather (13th May 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,369 times in 4,614 posts

Quote Posted by SamwiseTheBrave (here)
    This made me laugh. Saying that the works of Tolkien are fictitious is like saying Hitler's characteristic mustache was really just an ink blot.
    Then , the question also offers itself .. whether H.R.Gigers Alien/s were fictions ...

you know , in my opinion , artists often forwards the 'message' through their skills and imaginations on the border of dreamlike lands where the difference between vision, fiction and reality ceases to be important .

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Dorjezigzag (16th May 2014), Hervé (15th May 2014), JRS (15th May 2014), jsl2837 (19th May 2014), Krist (13th May 2014), ktlight (14th May 2014), Robin (13th May 2014), WhiteFeather (13th May 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,979 times in 5,652 posts

Quote Posted by SamwiseTheBrave (here)
    Then , the question also offers itself .. whether H.R.Gigers Alien/s were fictions ...

you know , in my opinion , artists often forwards the 'message' through their skills and imaginations on the border of dreamlike lands where the difference between vision, fiction and reality ceases to be important .
    I agree, and to much as the series of Gene Rodenbury's Star Trek. IMO I'm sure Gene was highly influenced, and had tapped into such off world informational technology (Channelings) via Extra Terrestrial assistance.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Agape (13th May 2014), Billy (13th May 2014), ktlight (14th May 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,560 times in 5,028 posts

Quote Posted by WhiteFeather (here)
    I agree, and to much as the series of Gene Rodenbury's Star Trek. IMO I'm sure Gene was highly influenced, and had tapped into such off world informational technology (Channelings) via Extra Terrestrial assistance.
    You are correct Whitefeather. Gene Roddenberry was influenced by the nine.

Quote Posted by Billy (here)
    Yes there seemed to be an interest in the Nine from people like Gene Roddenberry, creator of Star Trek. and other prominent people. I see no problem with this interest.

I found this quote in the article quite interesting.

Quote:
    This should concern us, because many influential people attended The Nine’s Esalen seminars, including Russians who were part of the Institute’s Soviet Exchange programme. Some of these later rose to prominence in the Gorbachev regime and were instrumental in the downfall of Communism. (The Esalen Institute now runs the US branch of the Gorbachev Foundation.)
    End Quote:

If the Nine had an influence in bringing down the Berlin Wall of Division. Good on them.

Peace
    More here. http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...ne_fortean.htm

Peace.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Agape (13th May 2014), jsl2837 (19th May 2014), ktlight (14th May 2014), WhiteFeather (14th May 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

Does anyone know were to download the complete Heritage Universe series by Charles Sheffield, for free?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Davidallany For This Post:

Curt (15th May 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,527 times in 32,931 posts

Quote Posted by Davidallany (here)

Does anyone know were to download the complete Heritage Universe series by Charles Sheffield, for free?
    Incomplete results of a very brief search -->
    Good luck! In most cases, there's at least one seeder, so they should be intact with a little downloading patience.

(For anyone unfamiliar with torrents, first download the torrent file (which ends in '.torrent') -- and I'd personally recommend downloading the torrent itself with http://vuze.com.)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (16th May 2014), Curt (15th May 2014), Davidallany (16th May 2014), jsl2837 (19th May 2014), Nasu (16th May 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 78,346 times in 8,672 posts

RIP.

I loved his work so much I bought and played this 1992 game based largely on his art on my first personal computer. Probably still have the floppy discs it came on in a box somewhere.

I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Agape (16th May 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Ecuador Avalon Member Davidallany's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,056 times in 1,577 posts

Many thanks Bill. I have followed the links and was able to download all of the available files. I used to have the 4 Heritage universe series in audio files, but I lost them when my external 1TB hard drive fell and broke in MT. I have been trying to get those audio files back but it seems that they have been removed from the internet, they are however very available on pay sites.

+ Reply to Thread