+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Fast Radio Bursts": What do they mean?

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Default Re: "Fast Radio Bursts": What do they mean?

Travel by sound vibration?

2. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,742 times in 1,499 posts

I'm old enough to remember Raymond Baxter on Tomorrow's World back in the 1960s discussing the extremely regular radio pulses that had just been discovered and speculating that they might be beacons from alien civilizations. They turned out to be natural, and what we now know as pulsars.

I expect Fast Radio Bursts will also turn out to be a naturally occurring phenomenon, although I'd like it to be aliens this time!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Baby Steps (11th September 2018), butcherman (2nd June 2017), Foxie Loxie (31st May 2017), Sena (1st June 2017)

4. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

Canada’s shiny new radio telescope is up and running, and it just heard something very, very odd coming from deep space.

The Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment (CHIME for short) is located in British Columbia, and it spends its time listening intently for signals beaming through the vacuum of space. Most of the time, radio telescopes like this don’t hear anything out of the ordinary, but every so often an unexplained signal finds its way through the noise, and that’s exactly what happened on July 25th.

A new bulletin from The Astronomer’s Telegram reveals that the new telescope detected what is known as a Fast Radio Burst, or FRB. FRBs aren’t uncommon, but they are quite special in that their origins are completely unknown. FRBs detected by astronomers here on Earth come from incredibly long distances, located so far off in space that we can’t even see what might be creating them.

The FRB detected in this case, called FRB 180725A, is particularly unique because it had a frequency as low as 580 Mhz. No FRB has ever been detected below a frequency of 700 Mhz before.

While they are radio signals, FRBs don’t hold any information that astronomers or researchers have been able to tap. Some have theorized that they are created by ultra-advanced alien civilizations, but that is little more than sci-fi speculation at the moment. It’s far more likely that FRBs originate from volatile black hole activity, perhaps even two black holes merging into one.

https://bgr.com/2018/08/02/deep-spac...ime-telescope/

Now if they aliens can hit 432Hz and Beatles music!!

5. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (16th August 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2018), DeDukshyn (16th August 2018), Fellow Aspirant (19th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (16th August 2018), gaiagirl (16th August 2018), justntime2learn (16th August 2018), Kryztian (16th August 2018), Magnus (16th August 2018), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th August 2018), Mercedes (16th August 2018), mojo (16th August 2018), Nasu (16th August 2018), Oxygen (16th August 2018), petra (16th August 2018), shaberon (16th August 2018), Spellbound (16th August 2018), Star Tsar (16th August 2018), thepainterdoug (16th August 2018), toppy (16th August 2018), wondering (16th August 2018)

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,097 times in 4,065 posts

Pretty interesting find in a relatively new field of observation.

Comparatively, these signals are in what at least used to be the UHF (Ultra High Frequency) of tv broadcasting: 300 Mhz to 3 Ghz.

I'm not sure why they keep calling space a vacuum? Extremely low pressure, sure, but there are particles and dust everywhere, and the constant formation and destruction of particle-antiparticle pairs. "Electric Universe" counters gravitational redshift by surmising that the apparent redshift is "tired light" which has interacted with more stray particles than other light.

I don't know, but it could be that the unusually low frequency of this one is either a redshift or tired from interactions.

7. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2018), Baby Steps (11th September 2018), DeDukshyn (16th August 2018), Fellow Aspirant (19th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (16th August 2018), ichingcarpenter (16th August 2018), justntime2learn (16th August 2018), Mari (16th August 2018), petra (16th August 2018), toppy (16th August 2018), wondering (16th August 2018)

8. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

When I was in my early 20s I came up with this saying

There are many ways of living between the being and many ways of being between the living. Avoid putting the totality of your reality in
    a finite of an absolute. The only thing that is absolute is absolutely nothing..

I think that these bursts are more important than we realize even if they come from stars
    For stars are what we are made of.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2018), DeDukshyn (16th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th August 2018), justntime2learn (16th August 2018), Kryztian (16th August 2018), Mari (16th August 2018), Siphonemis (16th August 2018), Valerie Villars (16th August 2018), wondering (16th August 2018)

10. Link to Post #26
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

So exciting! I've been waiting to hear something like this, and I really hope someone picks up something in our life times!

Quote Posted by ichingcarpenter (here)
    Now if they aliens can hit 432Hz and Beatles music!!
    Ha ha! It's occurred to me aliens are probably already tuning in too, maybe we'll get a cool re-mix :D

Probably just a black hole though I guess, but who's to say what's on the other end of those anyway? No one knows, but we speculate it's nothing. But maybe what looks like nothing, is something, very well hidden. I like speculating

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (16th August 2018), Fellow Aspirant (19th August 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th August 2018), justntime2learn (16th August 2018)

12. Link to Post #27
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,071 times in 456 posts

"Fast radio bursts"- FRBs- are a scientific mystery.

There's no way to avoid thinking one thing upon hearing scientists have listened to powerful, mysterious signals blasting from the depths of space: aliens.

OK, that may be avoidable. Still, there's no doubt that detection of what astronomers call "Fast Radio Bursts" (FRB) is the kind of thing worth noticing because FRBs are weird.

The origin of the signal recently detected by scientists with the Canadian Hydrogen Intensity Mapping Experiment is — as with all FRBs — unknown. It was picked up by experiment's powerhouse telescope located in British Columbia. What makes it significant is that it's the first such signal heard on a particular frequency — between 400 and 800 megahertz.

That means that compared to previous, similar signals detected in the last 11 years, this one — the poetically named FRB 180725A — has some serious bass in its voice. It's like hearing a chorus of trumpets then someone drops a tuba in the mix.

The difference is significant enough that it made astronomers sit up and take notice. After all, FRBs are strange enough as it is. They didn't seem to fall into any discernible pattern until recently, when scientists found a series regular enough to keep an ear out for them.

One of the most intriguing facts, however, is simply that researchers can't figure out just where they're coming from. Not knowing the origins of things has been driving scientists bananas for centuries, and this is no different. In this case, that makes the question of whether this comes from aliens or not pretty rational. The very nature of the signals is strange enough; they shoot like bullets from space but then rapidly fade.

Some theories say FRBs emanate from a neighboring galaxy. Others say they're coming from some incredibly remote part of the universe.

We say they're echoes of some great alien civilization testing bass levels from a new set of speakers installed in a tricked-out spacecraft.

At this point, that's as good an explanation as any.

https://www.maxim.com/news/strange-n...e-alien-2018-8

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Baby Steps (11th September 2018), Fellow Aspirant (19th August 2018), Flash (11th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th August 2018)

14. Link to Post #28
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,877 times in 1,034 posts

Scientists do not yet know what causes the mysterious fast radio bursts, but a form of alien transportation has been suggested.

Scientists searching for extraterrestrial life say they have spotted 72 mysterious signals from an alien galaxy using artificial intelligence (AI).

The researchers at the SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) Institute discovered the unusual signals when examining 400 terabytes of radio data from a dwarf galaxy three billion light years away from Earth.

Almost all artificial intelligence technology involves automating data analysis, combing through huge data sets to identify patterns or unusual occurrences.

The signals they spotted - fast radio bursts (FRBs) - are bright and quick pulses which were first discovered in 2007 and are believed to come from distant galaxies, although it is not yet know what causes them.

"The nature of the object emitting them is unknown," SETI said, adding: "There are many theories, including that they could be the signatures of technology developed by extraterrestrial intelligent life."

Last year, scientists at Harvard University suggested that FRBs could result from energy leaks from powerful transmitters built by alien civilisations in order to send giant light sail ships on interstellar voyages.

A light sail would use the tiny amount of pressure exerted by light to produce a small but constant acceleration which allows a spacecraft to reach a great speed.

More:

https://news.sky.com/story/seti-scie...rithm-11495075

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (11th September 2018), Flash (11th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (11th September 2018), Noelle (11th September 2018)

16. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

The 6th dimensional portal they are trying to create for intergalactic travel is malfunctioning........Perhaps these aliens should try adjusting the power spike in the tritonic isotope sensor array or de-scramble the bipolar neogenic isotope manipulator. They might even try need to re-align the ventral quantum resonance synthesizer.

These solutions will usually stop these bursts when I'm off planet with Corey in one of his blue spheres or with Emery using my technobabble generator that we got on line.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Flash (11th September 2018), Reinhard (11th September 2018)

18. Link to Post #30
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,071 times in 456 posts

Quote Posted by ichingcarpenter (here)
    The 6th dimensional portal they are trying to create for intergalactic travel is malfunctioning........Perhaps these aliens should try adjusting the power spike in the tritonic isotope sensor array or de-scramble the bipolar neogenic isotope manipulator. They might even try need to re-align the ventral quantum resonance synthesizer.

These solutions will usually stop these bursts when I'm off planet with Corey in one of his blue spheres or with Emery using my technobabble generator that we got on line.
    Cheers carpenter. That was your I(t)ching I quess.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deux Corbeaux For This Post:

Flash (11th September 2018), ichingcarpenter (11th September 2018)

20. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 times in 352 posts

It's interesting to think about FRB's in conjunction with the "Metamaterial THz Waveguide" a.k.a. antenna.

https://ulozto.net/live/!Lq8h3RnJIOy...-june-2018-mp4
    Last edited by Magnus; 12th October 2018 at 21:44.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Magnus For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (12th September 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2