1. Link to Post #101
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

Default Re: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome -- The Deadly Cycle

~~~

Greetings,

It has been awhile.
    I was brought here today by fate, and I simply couldn't overlook Rachel and the Opening Post.

I will try to be very brief. I will not present anything 'scientifically proven', though.
    And no weed, too.

~~~

I see there is a lot of very important information shared here, but I also know how easy it is for it to remain unnoticed, so my share goes as such.

1. Nutrition and natural remedies addressing 'immunity disorders' in a very good detail -- a film that can be downloaded, together with the pdf slides: http://www.herbmentor.com/fibromyalgia/

2. QiGong
    ( I mean, don't throw things at me, that is what is saving my life, literally. )
    Rachel, Tes, I found you a bike, sort of . It is not expensive -->
    RobertPeng The Master Key: Qigong Secrets for Vitality, Love, and Wisdom
    and
    The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing

Robert Peng is one of the 'sweetest' people I have come across recently. And he has lots of free videos and articles on his website. The opening of his book reads like a novel, where he explains how he had been brought to QiGong, and how this has saved his life.
    Lots of very useful information there, for those brave souls who dare to look.

The second book I've had for an year, and I am currently using it while reading The Master Key. Paper copy with pictures and explanations, highly recommended also.

So,
    why am I suggesting books and such.
    Well, for starters I cannot legally grow cannabis in my country...

I wish it was easier, but we all suffer from years of what I call living dangerously.
    I know I do. And no science, medicine or quick fixes can manage what we have collectively accumulated, and have been exposed to, natural and man-made during those years. Not to mention the emotional blockages we all have to an extend ever since we have been kids. It all starts there, and carries on for as long as we are around, if not addressed properly.

I had to rediscover how my bed feels like for months now, and I do know what means to be really low (and sometimes wishing for a 'faster death' to come).
    I have lost my desire to put names and labels to the ways I feel at present, but as I was reading your posts today, I saw a lot of my own struggles reflected there.
    It was mentioned before me, but I will repeat that this is one of the mysterious immune disorders, and has many expressions, one of which could be also what we address as a type of autism.

[ A short story, just so that nobody thinks it comes easy:
    Today I woke up at around 5 am, for no apparent reason, and I just thought I will give it a go with a simple QiGong practice. I have been turning and tossing in my bed for so long, that I got too tired of being tired.
    I am not experienced at all in QiGong, but I guess I have some enthusiasm to compensate for the lack of 'spiritual knowledge' and practices.

From the five frolics I did crane and bear, and bone marrow cleansing together with some standing meditation. It is all very mild and simple, for those who have injured knees, legs and such.
    I did manage to spend 1 hour standing on my feet, with arms hurting, took a shower and returned to bed. I was hot and cold at the same time. I guess I looked pretty pathetic. I come from sports of all things!
    Later on I had the most amazing 4 hours of sleep. I even had dreams. ]

~~~

So, all of these are just a suggestion, but an educated one.

"I would say that the thrust of my life has been initially about getting free, and then realizing that my freedom is not independent of everybody else. Then I am arriving at that circle where one works on oneself as a gift to other people so that one doesn't create more suffering. I help people as a work on myself and I work on myself to help people. '
    Ram Dass

Hope it helps.

PS. The cannabis I mentioned just for a joke. I know it has some great potential to help people suffering from different conditions.
    I wish I had some for my dad.
    Last edited by chocolate; 6th August 2014 at 20:01.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

Agape (3rd October 2014), angelichuman (10th August 2014), conk (11th September 2014), Lettherebelight (3rd October 2014), Skyhaven (12th September 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (8th August 2014), Wind (7th August 2014)

3. Link to Post #102
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

I will check these out for sure
    thanks you guys for cheering me up.

Life was rough today, my autistic boy had a disappointment on an outing (we drove 1.5 hours to a park that was CLOSED and had to drive another 1.5 to get back to civilization and to an inferior park) and totally wore me out in the car. he was trying to escape the seat belt and booster seat.
    he is so strong, i can't imagine being in a situation much more hopeless.
    he literally could have fallen out of a moving car on a 60 mph stretch of highway had the door not been locked.

i think parents of autistic kids have 10x the normal stress level, what about you folks?
    and not trying to whine here, i want your opinions based on news, friends, and online comments, etc.

i would love to see some more work on why the US veterans are all so ill with CFS.
    i think it ties in with the Avalon thread today about vaccines causing illness (posted by another user)

it's not too crazy to be possible.

anyhow looking on the bright side once in a while is good,
    and memory exercises help preserve your ability to do that.

so any CFS person needs to devote some time to memory retention or your stress will get worse!
    i.e. therapy of some kind or a good activity.

was reading today about why autistic kids masturbate and it's due to "lack of quality tactile experience".
    it makes me wonder about the many ways that adults also find to wear themselves out, worrying about everything, but getting little done IRL

4. Link to Post #103
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

I found this seven part video series and a lecture, hopefully they will help others too. I'll have to quit coffee and I'm finally trying to heal my adrenal glands where the problem probably resides, hopefully I will be succesful. It's time for me to put my life back on track again. I am just too tired of being tired.

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

bruno dante (8th October 2014), Daughter of Time (11th September 2014), Natalia (24th September 2014), Sidney (11th September 2014), Skyhaven (12th September 2014)

6. Link to Post #104
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

Hello 9/11

I've been struggling with Lymedisease and complications for 3 years now and have browsed the net and also red some books on the subject, I'm currently reading "Insights into Lyme Disease Treatment" where 13 Lyme-Literate health care Practitioners share their healing strategies; combinations of traditional cures like antibiotics with herbs, homepatics, nutrition, exercise and psychology/spirituality.

Chronic fatigue is one of the some 80 symptoms one may have when infected with Lyme also called "The great mimicker" since the symptoms imitate other diseases. Mold and parasites also thrive in the presence of Lymebacteria and one may have had these prior to the Lymeinfection. The body then gets overloaded with toxins and cannot detox properly.

Also cytokines may be released which can lead to aoutoimmune responses leading to all sorts of problems like chronic fatigue since the thyroid gland is affected and the serotonin levels are changed which can happen even if you "only" have a mold infection or/and parasites. A Lymeinfection will trigger these already existant infections and the other way around; the Lyme will "invite" parasites and mold.

Is there a chance some of you have had a tick bite you're not aware of? Not everyone get the typical bullseye rash or "ring".

I'm now with my 5:th therapist who treats me with a combination of herbs and i have noticed a big change since i started taking them 3 months ago. He states he can get rid of all the "hatchlings"; the Lymebacteria that go and "hide" in a cystform in the tissue. He aslo treats me for mycoplasma i attracted as a complication.

I don't have extreme fatigue anymore and the 40 symptoms I had are now reduced to spitting phlegm from the mycoplasma, my stools are somewhat loose still with gases, I don't feel fully rested when i wake up but the change from before is enormous.

I know there is a Lyme thread but thought there might be a connection here at least for some.
    Last edited by transiten; 12th September 2014 at 10:25.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

conk (12th September 2014), Sidney (24th September 2014), Skyhaven (12th September 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (12th September 2014), Wind (12th September 2014)

8. Link to Post #105
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,694 times in 1,016 posts

Hi,

having been off work sick for 9 weeks now with extreme fatigue, some dizzyness and more...I was diagnosed yesterday with post viral fatigue...the doctor said that he thought that it could be ME but that neurologists don't like to diagnose it...

I don't want this thing and it has turned my life upside down...and can last quite a long time...however...

I choose to look at the positives...

Good time to meditate! (lol)

My hero can be even more of a hero to me now!

I'll become the juicing queen!

etc...

How do we date with this thing? Seriously...I have put off joining dating sites for this reason

Sorry I can't clean the house for you, honey, I would really love to, we are going to have to get a cleaner in...

Anyway, maybe some guys find tiredness sexy, who knows, there are all kinds of fetishes...

Soooo...*giggle* on the more serious side of it now...I'll look into it and make some changes to my diet and other things that I need to do...this thread being invaluable to me now and I will read it over...

9. Link to Post #106
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Amethyst, just know that you're not alone with your problems. I've had this condition for years (well, actually most of my life), but with dietary changes I think that I'm slowly starting to get better. I'll still need to figure out some things, but I know that this too can be treated.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

chocolate (25th September 2014), Natalia (24th September 2014), Omni (24th September 2014), Skyhaven (24th September 2014)

11. Link to Post #107
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wind (here)
    Amethyst, just know that you're not alone with your problems. I've had this condition for years (well, actually most of my life), but with dietary changes I think that I'm slowly starting to get better. I'll still need to figure out some things, but I know that this too can be treated.
    Hi Wind, thank you. I've experienced tiredness quite often before...but nothing like this bad for this long...the first 3 weeks were the worst...now I am going through the emotions of it...bit scared but also wanting it to get better and know that it can (somewhat, a lot, I don't know)...I feel "lucky" that my internet friend's wife, who has had ME for years and she has helped it naturally, is going to talk with me on Skype about it this morning, and I might share things that might help here (so much has been posted already).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alterna...tigue_syndrome
    Last edited by Natalia; 24th September 2014 at 07:36.

12. Link to Post #108
    Netherlands Avalon Member Skyhaven's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,373 times in 1,056 posts

As for the diet, what helped me a lot was leaving out caffeine (its in a lot of things). Second, and this was a hard one: sugar. I am off of it almost completely, except for some honey, and sweety fruits.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

chocolate (25th September 2014), Natalia (24th September 2014), Wind (24th September 2014)

14. Link to Post #109
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Skyhaven (here)
    As for the diet, what helped me a lot was leaving out caffeine (its in a lot of things). Second, and this was a hard one: sugar. I am off of it almost completely, except for some honey, and sweety fruits.
    I'm not drinking as much coffee as I used to, but I do need to cut it out.

I just bought these chlorella tablets, recommended by the lady that I spoke to today...they help to get rid of mercury and some other toxins...(and these ones have had their cells walls broken to aid absorption).

http://www.pinksun.co.uk/chlorella/p...d-1000-x-500mg

15. Link to Post #110
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Last edited by Natalia; 1st October 2014 at 17:33.

16. Link to Post #111
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

'Sup?

It's getting really cold here at night.

17. Link to Post #112
    England Avalon Member SPIRIT WOLF's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,758 times in 928 posts

Well I was diagnosed in summer of 2000 after my mini stroke that I had CFS, over time this worsened and I am listed medically as suffering from severe CFS, this as you can imagine messes up my entire life, sometimes housebound and sometimes bedbound, but have to make the best of the situation and cannot let it get me down. Coupled to heart problems at times I inwardly seek respite from the pain but knowing this could cause problems I leave behind and it just is not fair of me to think in those terms. So British stiff upper lip and carry on.
    TRUTH,JUSTICE,FREEDOM
    PROUD TO BE OLD FASHIONED,OLD SCHOOL, OLD GUARD
    Sauviter in Modo Fortiter in Re

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SPIRIT WOLF For This Post:

Agape (3rd October 2014), chocolate (9th October 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (8th October 2014), Wind (3rd October 2014)

19. Link to Post #113
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)
    'Sup?

It's getting really cold here at night.
    Laying in bed, fatigue plus pmt, lovely! About to have a nap. Before I do, want to share these videos that I watched yesterday, they're really good.

How are you, Tesla? <3

Last edited by Natalia; 4th October 2014 at 13:26.

20. Link to Post #114
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

thank you so much for these videos.
    not sure if I ever did post "Road to Perfect Health" probiotics vid but it's amazing (I can never remember her name, i think initials BW), was on PBS at one time or other a few years back.

we left the deck door open last night but it didn't seem to get that cold, lol
    anyone else get asthma and extra aches/pains when the weather turns?
    lmao just like the old folks 100 years ago, "bad weather's a comin', I can feel it in my bones"

XD

p.s Spirit Wolf, i met some people in Seattle who suffered strokes and wondered if Hyperbaric chamber therapy could help them.
    somewhere i read that it's one of the only things aside from mmj etc. that helps !

21. Link to Post #115
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 times in 258 posts

I've read many wonderful books and seen many wonderful videos on CFS, and often walk away feeling hopeful....right up until I realize I don't have near enough $ to buy all the recommended stuff.

Dr. Teitelbaum (thanks Wind!) is a great source for information; and he offers an effective powder supplement that takes the place of dozens of supplements. It's affordable too, at about $35 a month. The beauty of it is, after taking the recommended dose for a few weeks or so, you can take less n less until you arrive at a maintenance dose - which will stretch the product out a little longer for you and save you some cash in the process.

I combine the Fatigued To Fantastic Powder with coq10, carnitine, ribose and magnesium. It's really been a godsend. When I can afford it I also take Iodoral(iodine), and a product called PQQ, which actually creates *new* mitochondria in cells. They provide real, tangible results.

p.s. it's quite expensive, but if you can pull it off there's a prominent CFS doc in Wales who will run tests on your blood if you can convince your doc to take your blood to mail it out. I think it ran me $500 total, but was worth it. It confirmed everything I knew to be wrong but elusive to standard tests. It also offers a specific treatment plan for your deficiencies. Dr Sarah Myhill is her name.
    Last edited by bruno dante; 8th October 2014 at 23:00.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bruno dante For This Post:

Agape (8th October 2014), chocolate (9th October 2014), Natalia (17th October 2014), sandy (9th October 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (10th October 2014), Wind (8th October 2014)

23. Link to Post #116
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bruno dante (here)
    I've read many wonderful books and seen many wonderful videos on CFS, and often walk away feeling hopeful....right up until I realize I don't have near enough $ to buy all the recommended stuff.
    Yeah, some of that stuff and even treatments and private tests (and removal of mercury filings) are expensive...I can afford just the supplements right now as I am getting full (sick) pay from work (have been for nearly 3 months now) but if I lose my job and end up on benefits (what can I do? I don't want that but it could happen) I won't be able to get what I am getting now...

For the past some weeks now, I have been taking Chlorella every day, a high strength pro biotic most days (sometimes I forget or don't have the energy to go down the stairs and get it from the fridge...on the bottle it sais take 2 hours after breakfast or dinner, and if I choose to take it after dinner but cannot make it down the stairs I just can't take it...maybe next time I should get one that doesn't need to be in the fridge). Just started to take Vitamin D high strength last week (as my blood test results came back deficient - dr prescribed me high dose Vit D pills to take once a week, but I am adding to it as from my own research I could safety take quite a bit more than that, so 60,000 IU a week on prescription, and 3000 IU a day for the other 6 days)

Also I just received from the post, L carnatine with Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Q10 - I read about it on this page

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/L_-_Carnitine

Quote Posted by bruno dante (here)
    Dr. Teitelbaum (thanks Wind!) is a great source for information; and he offers an effective powder supplement that takes the place of dozens of supplements. It's affordable too, at about $35 a month. The beauty of it is, after taking the recommended dose for a few weeks or so, you can take less n less until you arrive at a maintenance dose - which will stretch the product out a little longer for you and save you some cash in the process.

I combine the Fatigued To Fantastic Powder with coq10, carnitine, ribose and magnesium. It's really been a godsend. When I can afford it I also take Iodoral(iodine), and a product called PQQ, which actually creates *new* mitochondria in cells. They provide real, tangible results.

p.s. it's quite expensive, but if you can pull it off there's a prominent CFS doc in Wales who will run tests on your blood if you can convince your doc to take your blood to mail it out. I think it ran me $500 total, but was worth it. It confirmed everything I knew to be wrong but elusive to standard tests. It also offers a specific treatment plan for your deficiencies. Dr Sarah Myhill is her name.
    We have seen the same doctor's page online, does seem like she really knows what is wrong and what can help...I did see the test but it is so expensive...maybe I can do it just after I get paid...

For some good news about my situation...

Last Friday I went to see a different GP/doctor, she surprised me at being so understanding about this condition, and without me asking her she referred me to a clinic in a hospital for CFS (I will not take medication, only natural), and maybe I can even get acupuncture, as well, will see...it starts in November...I told her that she was the most understanding doctor that I have seen!

I went to a support group for the first time yesterday, took 2 buses and an hour to get there, I struggled and at times tried to keep my eyes open, body is paying for it now but it was worth it...people there so friendly and understanding, one of the ladies who spoke to me and gave me advice has had it at the same level as me, including the pains, she had it for 9 years so knew what she was talking about when she told me to rest more (even more! I have been spending most of most days laying in bed) but I need to sleep more and it's not been easy to sleep well enough, I slept a bit better before my crash 11 weeks ago...

Another thing, I realized and found out, vaccines can cause M.E/CFS...I found this out this week when I saw a post on face book about a baby dying after being vaccinated, so sad...and I looked it up and found that vaccines can and has caused this illness for some people...here is an article on it and the comments below it are of several people where the same thing happened to them (I work for the NHS in a hospital, I have avoided the flu shot all this time, but work changed part of my job role to be working with ill patients in the clinics assisting the doctor, so they said I had to have Hepatitis B shot, a few weeks later I suddenly fell ill, this was 11 weeks ago and I am still not well...doctors thought it was a virus, so it may have been a virus and/or vaccine that caused it, or triggered it to be worse as I have had fatigue symptoms and milder pains for months before that...)...

http://therefusers.com/refusers-news...rome-us-court/
    Last edited by Natalia; 17th October 2014 at 06:12.

24. Link to Post #117
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

Typical Americans, You left out Urine Therapy the most most universal, safest and cost effective, and lifesaving "practice/discipline/therapy" What I have learned is that it is just as much an exercise of mind as well as body, there is no separating the two..

The biggest issues I see is people pumping themselves full of all kinds of "stuff"... when the problem is "releasing" toxins. The number one issue I see is toxic contamination. This is also the number one issue with maintaining mechanical machinery, ie. exposure to foreign elements. In the case of the body we have an advantage. The body is "designed" to heal itself. We must not forget this... and take this into consideration when we see we have no energy, or we can't lose weight, or illnesses overtake us.

UT not only penetrates the tissues, I think it taps into the body's own ability to create everything we need to heal ourselves (as per "What The Bleep") and recycle it back , purifying the quality of the water in the process while moving from "illness" to "perfect health" There are over 2,500 elements that have yet to be thoroughly studied (but must already be existing and operating in the blood) How much closer can one get to the very essence and life source, which is the blood? In many cases, there may be no substitutes for the "natural chemicals" body is capable of creating... and anything that has been identified is always vitally important, life giving and would be expensive to manufacture or purchase as an artificial supplement.

I still think John Armstrong's "The Water Of Life" and Martha Christie's "Your Own Perfect Medicine" are life changing. Be aware though this is a private and personal therapy, especially in a Western indoctrinated world.

This is something you must enter in yourself, suffer through initially (can't stress enough the mental reprogramming the first week or two, (although some have felt immediate benefit) I did it by studying and restudying the material while I was doing the process, (set everything aside, treat it like a life changing event... don't underestimate the psychological aspect (for some) But when I am getting toxic and bloated it is because I am straying from healthy food and lifestyle habits, ie. essentially over eating, i.e. trying to compensate for the decreasing efficiency of my body's organs which are being contaminated with heavy metals, hydrogenated fats, too much sugar (corn syrup=diabetes, which itself is a result of hormonal imbalance, caused by the body attempting to rid itself of all the excess sugar in the first place, etc) ie. this is all counter productive ultimately...

Releasing toxins, fasting with UT is the best balance between release and rejuvenation, it's all pluses, it's about release, re-balancing the symphony of chemical and hormonal functions, creating massive efficiencies in your body's ability to harmonize it's own functions that are the basis of our health. There is no substitute for what it specifically does.

I think of the lady on YouTube who had almost all her lymph glands removed and told (after the fact, (how nice) that she would die in 6 months... ) But she is still alive today, because she cleanses herself with UT. These aren't minor illness, quite the opposite, most of the people who tried it, did it out of desperation (I know I did!) After being told by the medical community they were on the way out... (thanks money making medical community)

So imagine what it can do for you before you get seriously ill?
    Last edited by sigma6; 20th October 2014 at 15:54.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Natalia (26th October 2014), Wind (20th October 2014)

26. Link to Post #118
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I've been looking into this some more, and at what supplements can help. I am going to start taking D-Ribose (will buy some today - powder, not capsule, the less pills/capsules, the better)

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/D-ribose

http://www.wholefoodsmagazine.com/ne...omyalgia009879

Also starting taking Nascent Iodine this week (3 drops a day, 1,950 mcg, but may need to take more)
    http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/n...ascent-iodine/

http://theiodineproject.webs.com/fms...pcosadrena.htm

Another thing that is important is getting the correct beneficial dose of each supplement (I am taking 2 capsules, so 800 mg/day of L Carnatine with 400 mg Lipoic Acid, and the recommended dose for cfs is higher...2 a day for 1 month costs me £46!)

My vegetarian Co enzyme Q-10 is soon to arrive...going to take 200 mg a day (the other one was not vegetarian and I did not know until I read it when I got it).
    Here is the vege one I got

http://uk.iherb.com/Country-Life-Glu...Softgels/16347

I do some research on every supplement that I take...and I have to be my own therapist because I can't afford to see one (the supplements alone are expensive)

So, it's going to take time for the body to heal itself...this condition (when moderate or severe) really changes your life...I have looked at all the positives, but naturally at times it has got me down...and I feel sorry for those who have had it constantly severely for years, such sad stories that you see. The occupation therapist at work that I saw last week recommend that I go to the doctors and ask about antidepressants and for me to take Prozac - no way, but I did not tell her this I was just polite and just wanting to accept what she said and I considered St John's Wort or something else more natural to help with at times low mood related to this condition...(Vitamin D deficiency doesn't help, and from what I have read, when levels are back up again to healthy levels, this can ease depression). She also said that I am not fit for work at all for the next few months...and I cannot even go to a singing class as I get out of breath easily (I cancelled it - booked it 2 months ago as I thought that by now I would be well enough, but I am not).

When I get well again I will really appreciate it!

There are stories of people who have recovered mostly or fully from CFS/ME/PVFS on the internet, and these help to give me and others hope...can also see what they did (even if it was just rest and pacing) to help themselves...I have this dvd sent to me for free called Freedom from ME, I will watch it soon. If you want a free copy, you can request it here http://www.freedomfromme.co.uk/free-info-pack/ (the little booklet about ME that they also send to you is really good, imo...they are a healing centre promoting their own business so you get some info on that, too, I'd go if I could afford it but I cannot)

Here is part of the dvd:
    Last edited by Natalia; 26th October 2014 at 10:07.

27. Link to Post #119
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Btw, warm hugs to everyone <3

28. Link to Post #120
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/30/he...html?hpt=hp_t3

Chronic fatigue syndrome is real, researchers say
    By Jacque Wilson, CNN
    October 30, 2014 -- Updated 1600 GMT (0000 HKT)

Some chronic fatigue syndrome patients are dismissed as hypochondriacs, one doctor says.
    Some chronic fatigue syndrome patients are dismissed as hypochondriacs, one doctor says.
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS

Diagnosing chronic fatigue syndrome is difficult
    New study offers hope by showing brain abnormalities in these patients
    Chronic fatigue syndrome causes excessive exhaustion

(CNN) -- People with chronic fatigue syndrome are exhausted, no matter how much rest they get, for more than six months at a time. They suffer from muscle and joint pain and may experience short-term memory loss.

But diagnosing chronic fatigue syndrome is difficult, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There's no blood test or brain scan that definitively identifies the condition, so doctors must first rule out many other disorders with similar symptoms.

A new discovery may change that.

Scientists at Stanford University compared the brain MRI scans of 15 patients with chronic fatigue syndrome with the scans of 14 healthy patients of the same age and gender. They found that the patients with chronic fatigue syndrome had slightly less white matter in their brains. White matter contains your brain's communication cables, which enable regions of the brain to talk to each other.

The scientists also saw abnormalities in a specific tract in the patients' right hemispheres and found that two connection points in the brains of the chronic fatigue patients were thicker than the same connection points in the healthy patients.

"The differences correlated with their fatigue -- the more abnormal the tract, the worse the fatigue," study author Dr. Michael Zeineh said in a statement.

The results of the study were published this week in the journal Radiology.

The study was small, and Zeineh says the research needs to be duplicated with more patients to confirm the results. But it offers hope to those with undiagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome.

"Most CFS patients at some point in time have been accused of being hypochondriacs and their symptoms dismissed by others," Zeineh told Today Health. "And there is still skepticism in the medical community about the diagnosis. That's one of the reasons these findings are important."

Tell me it's in my ****ing head now guys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 6 8 LastLast