+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The dark side of Hollywood; 60's Laurel Canyon "dead" crowd, and a new book on the subject

1. Link to Post #1
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,189 times in 1,661 posts

Default The dark side of Hollywood; 60's Laurel Canyon "dead" crowd, and a new book on the subject

only if one is interested;

I've followed David McGowan's research on this subject ever since I became aware of it; his website is www.davesweb.cn.host.com but I first became aware of his research on sott.net;

David McGowan's book is "Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon" (available at least so far on Amazon) and deals with research behind the SPATE of unexplainable deaths of young recording/film artists during the 60's/early 70's, all living at the time in Laurel Canyon (like start with Sharon Tate)-

make of the info what you will; but I think all of this was for real (are we to presume present-day Hollywood is any different?); obviously no recent murders but maybe present-day players realize they must play the game...

Larry

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Debra (29th May 2014), Ecnal61 (29th May 2014), JRS (29th May 2014), Limor Wolf (30th May 2014), marlowe (29th May 2014), Mercedes (29th May 2014), seeker/reader (29th May 2014), william r sanford72 (29th May 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 times in 444 posts

Default Re: The dark side of Hollywood; 60's Laurel Canyon "dead" crowd, and a new book on the subject

I read several chapters that were available online. It was interesting, particularly if you have an interest in the music scene of the 60s and 70s.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jake gittes For This Post:

Mercedes (29th May 2014), william r sanford72 (29th May 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,319 times in 10,234 posts

Default Re: The dark side of Hollywood; 60's Laurel Canyon "dead" crowd, and a new book on the subject

Any place you have high potency people, with large levels of energies, in any given direction..integrating with one another in one small area, you are going to get peak occurrences happening all in the one spot. They each bring their baggage and self to the given spot.

Like a gathering of gunfighters, or explosive experts, or madmen......something is guaranteed to happen. And if the influx is constant, over a given time, then there will be many peak or sharp moments, over that given time. As natural as the day is long.

This is not an attempt to explain it away, as there is no need to explain it away. Many things may be found in that mix, but the fact that such a varied crew would have a nexus point and many things happen in that nexus point - needs no explanation.
    Last edited by Carmody; 29th May 2014 at 12:50.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Maunagarjana (30th May 2014), Mercedes (29th May 2014), NancyV (30th May 2014), outerheaven (30th May 2014), william r sanford72 (29th May 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 times in 391 posts

Having had a strong interest in music & having started college in 1967 I read all of McGowan's articles on his web site. I agree with him that Papa John Philips & Frank Zappa were probably in on the conspiracy to promote the agenda of TPTB but I think he over reaches to link Neil Young,& Steven Stills into it...

I have read his new book and the new information not on his site is about Punk & New Wave.....McGowan points out the Miles Copland's various record labels signed
    more than half of these bands...& Stewart Copland was the drummer & founder of The Police. Their father was British Intelligence MI 6 or whatever..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Copeland_III

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewart_Copeland

There is no doubt in my mind that the whole "hippie" movement was started in LA
    by CIA operatives . I would suggest anyone interested to read that chapter on his site.
    Last edited by marlowe; 29th May 2014 at 17:36.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marlowe For This Post:

Mercedes (29th May 2014), NancyV (30th May 2014), seeker/reader (29th May 2014), Snookie (29th May 2014), william r sanford72 (29th May 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member truth4me's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,290 times in 1,094 posts

Hard core stuff. Is anybody in Hollywood worth a damn?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to truth4me For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (30th May 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by truth4me (here)
    Hard core stuff. Is anybody in Hollywood worth a damn?
    Odd enough, Charlie Sheen comes to mind, he's behaves like an doped up, snorting, drinking, whoring, mischievous idiot (probably for some very valid reasons), but he's definitely not stupid( at all), that would be an interesting guy to get an insider view from.

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Maunagarjana's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 times in 681 posts

Quote Posted by marlowe (here)
    by CIA operatives . I would suggest anyone interested to read that chapter on his site.

The general consensus is that the hippie movement started in San Francisco with the Merry Pranksters and the Acid Tests and Haight/Ashbury. If you don't know that, I'm afraid everything else you think about the subject is rather invalidated.
    Last edited by Maunagarjana; 30th May 2014 at 08:14.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maunagarjana For This Post:

Roisin (30th May 2014)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 78,244 times in 8,655 posts

Quote Posted by Maunagarjana (here)
    Quote Posted by marlowe (here)

The general consensus is that the hippie movement started in San Francisco with the Merry Pranksters and the Acid Tests and Haight/Ashbury. If you don't know that, I'm afraid everything else you think about the subject is rather invalidated.
    I second this, and I am quite knowledgeable about the genesis of the 'hippies', having 'discovered' the Grateful Dead in the early 70's and traced back their origin story, etc. Take the San Fran scene as it existed in early-mid 60s', add psychedelics, and voila.

The CIA LSD experiments on the public, as written about and narrated on tape as it was happening by Ken Kesey and other sources, did help kick off the hippies but it was not in LA, which always had a much darker music vibe than that in the early hippie days Summer of Love and before.

You can actually hear a recording of Ken Kesey narrating his first (I recall) LSD trip as it happened, admisistered at a hospital where the CIA experiments were in progress.
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions. - Robert Anton Wilson

The present as you think of it, and in practical working terms, is that point at which you select your physical experience from all those events that could be materialized. - Seth (The Nature of Personal Reality - Session 656, Page 293)

(avatar image: Brocken spectre, a wonderful phenomenon of nature I have experienced and a symbol for my aspirations.)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mountain_jim For This Post:

Maunagarjana (8th June 2014)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Yes The hippie movement started in San Francisco BUT the commercialized selling of the hippie idea/

persona was based in LA ,the Sunset Strip , the music clubs in LA and the big record companies in LA..IMO

The Byrds , The Doors, Mamas & Papas , Buffalo Springfield, The Monterey Pop festival ,PLUS all

he cheap hippie/ drug movies came out of LA....Like >>>Riot on Sun Set strip, the Trip,
    Easy Rider,etc.

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Fascinating interview with Jerry Garcia about the Acid Test gatherings

& the beginnings of the Greatful Dead.//Haight Asbury etc...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marlowe For This Post:

Carlitos (21st November 2023), kudzy (25th November 2023)

19. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 56,154 times in 8,310 posts

The 1960's Counterculture Was Controlled from the Top, with Jay Dyer
    Buck Johnson - Premiered Oct 4, 2023

My guest this week is Jay Dyer. Jay runs one of the largest podcasts in our space as well as being the author of "Esoteric Hollywood" volumes one and two. He is known for his deep analysis of Hollywood, geopolitics, and culture. His graduate work focused on psychological warfare and film. In this episode, Jay and I get into the non-organic, controlled-from-the-top nature of the 1960's "counterculture" that so many people still think was a grassroots freedom expression. Jay discusses the multiple figures that had CIA ties, military intelligence ties, elite global ties, and so on. From Hollywood to LSD to the music business and from Laurel Canyon in Los Angeles to the Haight Ashbury scene in San Francisco, much of the movement was steered from the top

..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (20th November 2023), Bluegreen (21st November 2023), Carlitos (22nd November 2023), Franny (21st November 2023), kudzy (25th November 2023), Sue (Ayt) (20th November 2023)

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,506 times in 274 posts

Peter Levenda is my go-to guy on Laurel Canyon, rock music, the 60's peace movement, etc.. His research is excellent. I have not heard much from him as of late but he has at least a few books out on this whole area....

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TravelerJim For This Post:

Franny (21st November 2023), kudzy (25th November 2023), norman (21st November 2023)

+ Reply to Thread