+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Underarm Deodorant Alternatives

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

Default Underarm Deodorant Alternatives

I thinking of trying to make my own underarm deodorant using coconut oil and baking soda. I've tried the natural brands of deodorant such as Toms and I'm not satisfied with them.

I'm wondering if anyone has made their own effective deodorant? If so, can you share recipes?

If I were to use coconut oil and baking soda, what proportions would be best and should I add anything else?

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (2nd June 2014), halffull (2nd June 2014), Maia Gabrial (2nd June 2014), Matt P (2nd June 2014), Metaphor (2nd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), seko (26th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 times in 420 posts

Default Re: Underarm Deodorant Alternatives

I use fresh lemon only. Better than any deodorant ive tried. Easy recipe :-)
    Last edited by Metaphor; 2nd June 2014 at 13:38.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Metaphor For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (2nd June 2014), fourty-two (2nd June 2014), Lifebringer (2nd June 2014), Maia Gabrial (2nd June 2014), Matt P (2nd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), Rich (2nd June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), seko (26th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,308 times in 5,717 posts

I make a very effective deodorant that is not meant to be a deodorant but is bacteriostatic so it works well AND supplies elemental magnesium in a very absorb able form through the skin. I make a "magnesium oil" of magnesium chloride crystals and distilled water and put it in a spray bottle. I also put essential oil of jasmine or lavender. You can also buy "magnesium oil" directly and use it. it will sting if you shave underarms so wait till later to use it.

This also works for feet. Soaking feet in a basin bath with magnesium helps with stinky foot issues. Also direct application of lavender essential oil is a "cure" IMO for "athletes foot".

insoles of shoes can be sprayed like stinky athletic shoes. The effect is GOOD as I don't like the downside of commercial deodorant.

http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesi...-magnesium-oil

here is one testimony about body odor and the effect of magnesium.

http://www.cheeseslave.com/how-i-qui...ith-magnesium/

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), fourty-two (2nd June 2014), halffull (2nd June 2014), Lifebringer (2nd June 2014), Matt P (2nd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), Rich (2nd June 2014), Richard S. (3rd June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), selinam (9th January 2015), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,019 times in 927 posts

Hands down best we use is apple cider vinegar, which we keep in a sprayer. Undiluted. Probably same concept as lemon juice (alkalizes).

Matt
    Fear is simply a consequence of a lack of information.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (2nd June 2014), fourty-two (2nd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), Rich (2nd June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

I do have some vinegar with the mother but, no lemons today. I'll try the vinegar first since it's easier than mixing something.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (2nd June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

I use magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) only (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_hydroxide) .

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to guayabal For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mpennery (here)
    Hands down best we use is apple cider vinegar, which we keep in a sprayer. Undiluted. Probably same concept as lemon juice (alkalizes).

Matt
    One thing I like too is taking organic lemons and peeling the skin (the zest and pith) and putting that in apple cider vinegar in a jar. In a couple of weeks, strain the peels. The vinegar smells good and has the oil. it works well as a hair rinse and for household cleaning too. you can add to salad dressing but is a slight bitter from the peels. Win win all the way.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), chrysocolla (28th June 2014), jbins (25th June 2014), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,188 times in 1,661 posts

maybe we should go back to ancient times where everyone 'smelled' (unthinkable now a days- gosh); if everyone smelled (like in ancient times) we wouldn't even NOTICE anyone's smell now a days;

despite deodorants why do most wild animals continue to avoid us because they don't like our smell?-

for decades I used after-shave spray scents like Dior's (outrageously expensive) 'Fahrenheit' and Jovan's much cheaper "musk"; but I've noticed in the last few years the alcohol content has been greatly reduced in all perfumes/after-shaves so they don't "do it" anymore;

so I've been forced to resort to 'conventional' spray/roll-on deos- they can't be healthy (not that the perfumed sprays are...)-

about 10 yrs. ago there was an article in German internet exposing the risks of deodorants; it was entitled "the time-bomb under the arm";

so who will lead the way into going back to mother nature, washing regularly (reportedly ancients didn't all that much until the Romans, but then this concept of "bathing too regularly" being detrimental to your health at times persisted until the early 20th century in Europe) but, at times, "smelling a bit"?- no-one;

so maybe we should all go back to ancient times; how did people wash themselves back then?- with clear water-

another aspect we should consider: all soaps, detergents, 'deos' require MONEY for their purchase; geez, do we see another aspect here?-

I rest my case- please be well all-

Larry

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), fourty-two (2nd June 2014), Matisse (9th January 2015), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014), Violet (25th June 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    maybe we should go back to ancient times where everyone 'smelled' (unthinkable now a days- gosh); if everyone smelled (like in ancient times) we wouldn't even NOTICE anyone's smell now a days;

despite deodorants why do most wild animals continue to avoid us because they don't like our smell?-

for decades I used after-shave spray scents like Dior's (outrageously expensive) 'Fahrenheit' and Jovan's much cheaper "musk"; but I've noticed in the last few years the alcohol content has been greatly reduced in all perfumes/after-shaves so they don't "do it" anymore;

so I've been forced to resort to 'conventional' spray/roll-on deos- they can't be healthy (not that the perfumed sprays are...)-

about 10 yrs. ago there was an article in German internet exposing the risks of deodorants; it was entitled "the time-bomb under the arm";

so who will lead the way into going back to mother nature, washing regularly (reportedly ancients didn't all that much until the Romans, but then this concept of "bathing too regularly" being detrimental to your health at times persisted until the early 20th century in Europe) but, at times, "smelling a bit"?- no-one;

so maybe we should all go back to ancient times; how did people wash themselves back then?- with clear water-

another aspect we should consider: all soaps, detergents, 'deos' require MONEY for their purchase; geez, do we see another aspect here?-

I rest my case- please be well all-

Larry
    Bathing is about the best way to stop smelling stinky and when Florence Nightengale helped the soldiers in the Crimea, it was using basic cleanliness. When puerperal fever killed women after childbirth, it was "doctors" dirty hands that spread it. Hand washing even without soap in clear water with friction is good to keep us from viral infections like the common cold. Also, we can be too averse to germs and lower our own natural immunity by lack of exposure.

The indigenous North Americans used sweat baths ceremonially and medically. It back fired apparently when smallpox was introduced.

Quote "Traditional Native healing practices, such as fasting, taking sweat baths, and plunging into an icy river, did not help them fight the diseases, but made it worse.
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/cher/sfoc/sfoc17.htm
    I have been a student of the history of bathing and just about all "civilized" people esteemed bathing until Rome fell... here is an interesting conversation here continued in the comments. A comment made said that perhaps a mini ice age, lack of sanitary streams when cities formed and polluted the rivers all converged to make people stop bathing?

Quote He asks “Why did people stop bathing after Rome fell? Breakdown in sanitation after “barbarian” tribes conquered Europe allowed plagues to fester and spread. Why was there such a dramatic break from Roman hygiene? The elaborate and incredibly advanced Roman baths were either mothballed or destroyed entirely, and people bathed very infrequently. Why? Was it that their newfound Christian fundamentalism made everyone phobic of nudity?

He observes that “The Jews were the only people in Europe who still bathed routinely (being bound by halacha to ritually immerse, especially the women). As a result, during the Black Death, Jews, while still effected, got the plague at a lower rate than the rest. So, people concluded, the Jews were obviously responsible for the plague, they must be poisoning us or something, so we herd them all into the nearest synagogue and burn them alive. (I got this from Rabbi Ken Spiro, who has Jewish history mp3s online).

(And later, courtesy of the site Straight Dope, Nick adds his own research:
    “In the wake of the plague, though, Europeans decided baths were dangerous. Hot water allowed toxins to penetrate the skin–better to keep the pores caulked with healthy grime. A grossed-out Muslim in the Arabian Nights suggested that once Christians were doused with baptismal water they felt entitled to avoid bathing for the rest of their lives. Personal grooming, such as it was, focused entirely on appearances. People washed their faces and hands sometimes but refused to immerse their entire bodies except on doctors’ orders. The rich drenched themselves with perfume to conceal odor. Lice and fleas were universal, etiquette requiring merely that one refrain from scratching conspicuously in public. People were used to a baseline level of putridity; to attract attention, you had to really reek.” http://mybeautifulwickedness.wordpre...sonal-hygiene/

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Cardillac (2nd June 2014), Matisse (9th January 2015), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014), Violet (25th June 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

I use plain aluminium-free bicarbonate of soda (baking soda). About a heaped teaspoon in one hand; a little water on the other hand; rub the two hand together to make a watery paste; apply on underarms.

This is very effective and even lasts for a couple of days. It also helps to alkalinise your body (there's lots on the web about how to do this) as being too acidic can lead to body odor (and disease, etc.).

Regards
    searcher
    Last edited by Cara; 2nd June 2014 at 19:44. Reason: Left out words
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Cardillac (2nd June 2014), guayabal (2nd June 2014), jbins (25th June 2014), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014), Violet (25th June 2014)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

For years I have used a "deodorant stone" which are available from many companies and are made from "Natural Mineral Salts (Ammonium Alum)." I have never "smelled" unless I stopped using it. It seems to work by creating an environment in which the bacteria which causes the smell doesn't like to grow. They claim to be hypoallergenic and fragrance-free. I've always felt this was a good alternative.

Since no one has brought up this option, I thought I'd ask if anyone here knows if this is also harmful. I stopped using manufactured deodorants years ago because of the ingredient list and the fact that they basically seemed to try to keep you from sweating, (anti-persperant) which is bad thing IMO.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the_real_dave-id For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (2nd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), selinam (9th January 2015), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Yes, I have no problem with bathing, I wash up or shower daily. I also don't have the same hormonal cycle going on anymore (am now a "grandmother") so I don't personally have as much or the same kind of odor as I used to. I'm just interested in finding out about natural alternatives to manufactured deodorants/antiperspirants with aluminum and other toxic ingredients.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I plan to try them. Today I tried the cider vinegar and so far it's working pretty well. It's about 95 degrees here and I have been sweating somewhat today. Tomorrow, I'll try the baking soda and move on to lemons and lemon combos after I go to the store in a few days.

I don't use perfumes or colognes but, I would try some essential oil.

Everyone has slightly different body chemistry so what works for one person may not work as well for another person.

I agree Larry. Bathing became unfasionable in Europe during the middle ages. Today bathing frequency varies from country-to-country. Some try to cover with perfume.

During first contact, the Native Americans rightly thought that white people stank. Most Native Americans that I've encountered (those with no white blood) have very little body odor; they don't even need deodorant.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Hervé (28th June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

25. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

That's fascinating Ahnung-quay about the native Americans that you have met with the lack of strong body odor.

I have noticed when not eating meat for about two weeks, the ability to notice a meat eater (especially cow and cow product eaters), increases dramatically. I noticed strong changes in perception with having eaten deermeat, elk, and antelope. Onions simply do me in no matter what, their aroma seems to leave by the pores for at least two days.

I didn't notice similar types of body odors with predominately fresh fish (not farmed) eaters.

Clean diet, good water, proper pH, with minimal sugars and refined carbs and the body aroma doesn't seem to be strong.. Again saying the skin flora live off what comes out of the sweat..

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Yeah, working on the diet. Haven't eaten any sugars or refined carbs for several months now. What can I say, I like beef. Now trying to eat grass fed only and only a few times per week. No alcohol which also bleeds out of the pores.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Bob (3rd June 2014), guayabal (3rd June 2014), Joanne Shepard (25th June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

28. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

I haven't used ANY underarm deodorant for the last 35 years, and as far as I know, I have never offended anyone with my body odour. Not that anyone has ever let on, at least. When I found out about the aluminum content of virtually all such products, I quit using them.

You see, when I realized that the odour is given off by bacteria that feed off the traces of dried perspiration that adhere to the skin, and that these bacteria need at least 24 hours of growth before they give off any smell, I knew I had a timeline I could work with. Instead, I opt for a daily shower, using soap & water (and yes, it's fluoridated, but that's another story ...).

Clean clothes, applied daily, are also a good idea, but not always necessary (while camping or engaging in extended travelling, for example). Clothing that has absorbed body sweat must be left to dry out quickly after removal, else it will turn into a bacteria-laden olfactory nightmare. I have found that clothes will get odiferous only after extended wear, or after having been wadded into the bottom of a sports bag, where there is little air circulation (the bacteria are anaerobic, and thrive in conditions of low oxygen). So, clean body, clean clothes are the optimum. Having said that, there are some people with unique body chemistry whose sweat is almost instantly pungent, but they are very few in number. I have only ever met one.

Our culture's odour paranoia has been manufactured by the chemical companies as a marketing gimmick. It is, as usual, fear based. Interestingly, there is such a thing as 'fear sweat' secreted during times of extreme - you guessed it, fear. It's main feature is that it is more smelly than the sweat excreted during exercise. Makes ya think, eh?

Bottom line, don't gum up your pores with anything. Let the sweat do its job of cooling you off, and keep your ducts clear and healthy. Try it for a couple of days. Your skin will be much happier!

Cheers,

Brian
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (3rd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Delight (3rd June 2014), Dennis Leahy (3rd June 2014), guayabal (3rd June 2014), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014), skuzzy (11th January 2015), Violet (25th June 2014)

30. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

$0.02 in this discussion:

Remember that our bodies, including the exterior of the skin, have a symbiotic relationship with numerous forms of beneficial bacteria. We don't want to kill 'em all. Not that any of the suggestions made so far are in the realm of "kill 'em all", but I though it might be good to remember we may want to think in moderate terms when speaking of eliminating some skin bacteria.

Dennis

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (3rd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), conk (3rd June 2014), guayabal (3rd June 2014), Joanne Shepard (25th June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014), Violet (25th June 2014)

32. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member ginnyk's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been using the following recipe for about a year. I go to work out and line dance classes about 4 days per week. This seems to keep me pretty dry as well and there has been no problem at all with odor or irritation. I just rub it on after my shower.

3 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil
    3 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
    2 Tablespoons of Shea Butter
    2 Tablespoons of Arrowroot or cornstarch
    (I also add 1 Tablespoon of Bentonite Clay, but that was not in the original recipe. I think it helps provide the dryness.) You can also add an essential oil of your choice but I choose to leave the fragrance out to eliminate chance of it irritation.

By the way, that coconut oil is just wonderful to rub on your face and hands. I use it under makeup and at night. I would imagine it would be good after shaving. There is no coconut odor and it absorbs immediately and is not greasy. Hope this helps.

Gin

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ginnyk For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (3rd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014)

34. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Quote Posted by the_real_dave-id (here)
    For years I have used a "deodorant stone" which are available from many companies and are made from "Natural Mineral Salts (Ammonium Alum)." I have never "smelled" unless I stopped using it. It seems to work by creating an environment in which the bacteria which causes the smell doesn't like to grow. They claim to be hypoallergenic and fragrance-free. I've always felt this was a good alternative.

Since no one has brought up this option, I thought I'd ask if anyone here knows if this is also harmful. I stopped using manufactured deodorants years ago because of the ingredient list and the fact that they basically seemed to try to keep you from sweating, (anti-persperant) which is bad thing IMO.
    I've never researched this, but just found this article om ammonium alum, and they say that the aluminum is in a molecule too largeto be absorbed through skin: http://www.ehow.com/info_8603755_dif...-chloride.html

Dennis

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (3rd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Sidney (3rd June 2014), the_real_dave-id (3rd June 2014)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Thanks Dennis, I read through the article and it does claim that:

"Like ammonium chloride, ammonium alum is a salt -- a product of an acid and base reaction; however, the atomic formula of ammonium alum is slightly more complex. Ammonium alum is made up of the ammonium group of a nitrogen atom and four hydrogen atoms, an aluminium atom, two sulphate molecules (one sulphur atom and four oxygens) and 12 water molecules. This much larger molecular mass is too large to pass through the pores of the human skin, making ammonium alum, unlike ammonium chloride, safe for use in deodorants and other products. Ammonium alum occurs naturally in the earth's crust, and is known as alunite as well as by its more formal name, ammonium aluminium sulphate."

So I feel safer than ever using the "deodorant stone." Thanks for this find!

BTW --- Thanks also for not pointing out that I could have done that research myself on the very same tool I typed the question to everyone here on. D'oh!

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the_real_dave-id For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (3rd June 2014), Bassplayer1 (3rd June 2014), Dennis Leahy (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014)

38. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Joanne Shepard's Avatar
    Thanks

Tea Tree Oil, Unbelievable

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joanne Shepard For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (3rd June 2014), Matt P (3rd June 2014), Realeyes (28th June 2014), RunningDeer (28th June 2014), Violet (25th June 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast