+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Powered Water Recycler? 3D Printer/Hex Glass Structures?

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Default Solar Powered Water Recycler? 3D Printer/Hex Glass Structures?

An idea that keeps coming to me, is can we use 3D printers + breakthroughs in the way glass is used in building, to create novel environments where we can defy nature without destroying it?

A year or so ago, didn't "Ideas and Discoveries (ID)" Magazine run a piece on Hexactinellid-glass structures yielding superb flexibility, lightweight design, and superb utility to futuristic architecture?

A 3D printer seems uniquely fitted to the job of producing such a structure.

Once designed and cheaply printed/produced with help from modern technology, a Hex-glass multi-story habitat with a solar-power concentrator + mirror array fitted with synthetic volcanic rock could conceivably bathe and water many thousands of people daily without needing a connection to the public water supply.

Add a fish farm and/or a vertical farm of the vegetable type, and you have even more layers of filtration occurring.

There could be very creative ways of using and then cleaning water without losing a significant amount of it or expending undue amounts of energy heating and transporting it...

will write more later lol can't stay right now

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

Default Re: Solar Powered Water Recycler? 3D Printer/Hex Glass Structures?

Hi Tesla_WTC_Solution

for many, many years we have had the means to make great self sustaining, heating, cooling, growing habitats!
    and now we have even better ways and technologies to do so, which is just so fantastic!

We as a specieas should be living in real purity now, in one with nature, well! not just one with nature but actually helping her!

But as we all know we have our PTW defiling us and nature

When they are gone we will truly bloom and flourish, we have the means, we have the desires, we just need them and their structure out of the way!

Great PO, it is good to see how we could be!

Love,Peace and Hugs
    Alan
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (20th June 2014), Joseph McAree (20th June 2014), Lifebringer (20th June 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (20th June 2014)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Well Tesla, congrats. I think you've found your "creative niche" I mentioned in a pm to you. I knew you could do it. Imagine if things work like that from a crowd fund with a decent livable wage to enable you to have your son in great care w/people who are compassionate. That's a idea that can do this. Draw/write idea/it up, step by step, and sometimes people who see your vision will work, will pay you for that chance to bring it on. Crowd funding and your story of how you would like to keep your autistic son in your life with proper day or night services when needed, could yield a benefactor.

Good job Tesla.
    PS, start giving your son, organic coconut juice and omega 3 vitamins. This could be the start of some balance when he's in a scream fest for hours. Sometimes their screams sound like music to their ears, and they tone out. So balance the tones.
    Last edited by Lifebringer; 20th June 2014 at 11:40.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (20th June 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (20th June 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,482 times in 1,331 posts

This is a fabulous set of ideas...

I am not an expert (in fact I would describe myself as a complete novice) on any of the technologies you mention but I am very intrigued by the possibilities of 3D printing. It can have a radical effect on pretty much everything we choose to apply it to.

Your concept sounds very powerful to me. I hope you take it further!

/
    Searcher
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (20th June 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (20th June 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

So far, the 3-D printing technology I have heard of is using room-temperature or moderately higher substance. We might need high-temperature 3-D printing technology to make any sort of glass. I'm not positive about that, but you got me thinking.

And, there's no reason a 3-D printer could not be made that will withstand high temperatures.

Dennis

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Dawn (25th June 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (24th June 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    So far, the 3-D printing technology I have heard of is using room-temperature or moderately higher substance. We might need high-temperature 3-D printing technology to make any sort of glass. I'm not positive about that, but you got me thinking.

And, there's no reason a 3-D printer could not be made that will withstand high temperatures.

Dennis
    yes -- what we need is a big glue gun looking thing, a robotic arm more than a typical printer.
    as you point out, it would need a significant power source (breakthroughs in laser technology?) and of course a source of material.

I was thinking, people used to joke about nukes and sand -- turning sand into glass.
    Don't glass blowers do the same thing?

I think on the right scale, with the right power setup and mixture of materials,
    it would not be impossible to lay strands of glass like a spider extrudes a web or a child glues an art project together.

As the structure hardens, it would be able to support the weight of the printing array.
    Removing the need for dangerous scaffolding and acrobatics -- very few men would be needed (if any!) to run the printer.

Theoretically it could all be done via remote control from a specialized van or truck.

Technology in the near future is going to remove a LOT of middlemen, so we the common folk need to be busy learning about new tech and petitioning for freebies and cheapies, lol.

There is no good reason for a wealthy gov't/MIC to deny the populace access to life-improving technologies.

A hundred years ago people thought that machines would someday provide everything --
    to be honest, modern computers are functioning just as a different sort of punch-clock and have not improved our lives much...

People need to demand that the fruits of their labors benefit their lives directly...

life cannot be summed up by the numbers on a sheet of paper attached to some imaginary bank account in cyberspace somewhere.

What are we REALLY leaving behind for future generations?

Imagine structures that need minimal maintenance and have the potential to last for hundreds of years without remodeling --
    can you figure how cheap that would be compared to something like the WTC?

11. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

a breakthrough thanks to mother nature/god lol

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/18/eu...?iref=obinsite

Could limpet teeth be the strongest natural material known to man?
    By Monica Sarkar, for CNN
    Updated 2154 GMT (0554 HKT) February 18, 2015

Is this toothy material nature's strongest? 02:21
    Story highlights
    Researchers in the UK say limpet teeth may contain the strongest natural material known to man
    Spider silk was previously thought to be the strongest substance
    The findings are a source of inspiration for engineering, such as the structures of F1 cars and aircrafts
    (CNN)Limpet teeth may contain the strongest biological material ever discovered, say researchers in the UK.

The aquatic, dome-shaped creatures that are found clinging to rocky shores have set a new record previously held by spiders.

"Until now we thought that spider silk was the strongest biological material because of its super-strength and potential applications in everything from bullet-proof vests to computer electronics," Professor Asa Barber who led the study said in a statement.

"But now we have discovered that limpet teeth exhibit a strength that is potentially higher."

The researchers from the University of Portsmouth's School of Engineering said they used atomic force microscopy to pull apart the material, almost 100 times thinner than the diameter of human hair, right down to the atom.

The findings were published in the Royal Society journal Interface. They are not only surprising, but Barber said they are a source of inspiration for engineering, setting the blueprint for structures such as Formula One racing cars, boat hulls and aircrafts.

"All the things we observe around us, such as trees, the shells of sea creatures and the limpet teeth studied in this work, have evolved to be effective at what they do," said Barber.

The key substance in the tiny teeth is a hard mineral known as goethite, which forms in the limpet as it grows and enables them to move over rock surfaces and feed on algae while the tide is in. And the teeth maintain their strength regardless of their size.

"Generally a big structure has lots of flaws and can break more easily than a smaller structure, which has fewer flaws and is stronger. The problem is that most structures have to be fairly big so they're weaker than we would like." said Barber.

" Limpet teeth break this rule as their strength is the same no matter what the size.
    "

efficiency is the watchword of the season

for investors that is

p.s. before i die of old age *(lol) I want to see a skyscraper made of a similar substance, with trees and grass growing out the top and sides.

it should also have a river built into it.

before I die this has to happen lol.

+ Reply to Thread