1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Default Re: About Chickens

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    Shocking Undercover Investigation Exposes Buried-Alive Chickens at Nation’s Second-Largest Producer
    Had to skip your post, Cidersomerset. Even the title makes my heart pound out of my chest. I am no longer able to watch even a nano second of animal abuse (or any other). It shakes me right down to the core. The images haunt for days, and even weeks.

I use to think I need to be 'in the know' and watch the brutality. But now, I know. And over the years it seems like the torture has escalated. Either that or more people are putting it out there. Which is good. Bring the problem out, so we can raise consciousness. Which is what you are doing.

Young Boy Hugs A Chicken Named Love Bird
    <3

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Cidersomerset (29th June 2014), cursichella1 (29th June 2014), fourty-two (29th June 2014), joeecho (3rd July 2014), Matt P (29th June 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (29th June 2014), Wind (30th June 2014)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Quote Posted by Cardillac (here)
    @Cidersomerset's 2nd posting-

common, folks, this is the real world- and it's hideous beyond comprehension (for most) but it's reality; I still cannot understand why people on this forum continue to skirt reality by individually posting "thinking positive thoughts" about things as if 'positive thinking' will eradicate the negative actions of others; right- and I shot Kennedy-

what we all need is even more of Cidersomerset's 2nd posting to shake us awake (and I mean in no uncertain terms) and make us aware about what's really going out there in the world; yes, the truth is ugly-

the only thing that has ever changed anything for the positive on this planet is when people finally become aware that evil has the upper hand (and take action against it) and not "the invisible man in the sky" 'supposedly' solving our problems-

Larry
    Hi Larry,

Things "hideous beyond comprehension" and about eradicating "the negative actions of others" might serve a useful purpose in another thread. Have you considered starting one for that purpose?

Over the years I've explored many of these issues. What I discovered is that taking action, doing something positive about things that bring me joy, exploring ways to become less dependent on a failed system and finding something to love, is beneficial to the way I feel. I feel empowered. Empowerment is what I want to share.

I've learned that getting on my soap box and warning others about corrupt corporations, corrupt governments and regressive ET's has only turned people off and often (not always) sent my audience running away. The ex-wife said I sounded like a preacher. She was right. I thought that if enough people knew what was going the system could be changed for the better. Still is probably true, but anxiety and fear only serves the dark side. We can only accept a little bit of truth at a time. Over the years I discovered that my preaching was a symptom of my own fear. People will learn at their own pace. The only way to influence people is by setting an example.

This thread is "About Chickens".

Thanks for your comment.
    Ron

Last edited by Ron Mauer Sr; 29th June 2014 at 17:18.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

angelichuman (7th August 2014), Cidersomerset (29th June 2014), cursichella1 (29th June 2014), fourty-two (29th June 2014), Journeyon (30th June 2014), Matt P (29th June 2014), RunningDeer (29th June 2014)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,637 times in 18,693 posts

Quote Had to skip your post, Cidersomerset. Even the title makes my heart pound out of my chest. I am no longer able to watch even a nano second of animal abuse (or any other). It shakes me right down to the core. The images haunt for days, and even weeks.

I must admit I would not have posted the article if I had not seen it on Davids
    site this morning , which I visit most days , I do believe in synchronicity so
    after some 'Uhming' and ' Aahing' posted it.....

world cup fever a couple of French fans....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aint Nobody Here But Us Chickens

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 29th June 2014 at 16:56.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

AriG (23rd July 2014), cursichella1 (29th June 2014), joeecho (3rd July 2014), Matt P (29th June 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (29th June 2014), RunningDeer (29th June 2014)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    ...world cup fever a couple of French fans….
    These remind me of BenevolentCrow’s, who’s a retired member. She built them herself, and calls the village, “Cadillac Coop de Ville”.

BenevolentCrow, in case you catch this, one of my favorite lines from you is: "I will keep my saucy comments to myself." I still think of you once in a while. Continued success with “Revel and Fancy”.

Paula <3 (a.k.a. WhiteCrowBlackDeer)

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

AriG (23rd July 2014), Cidersomerset (29th June 2014), joeecho (30th June 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (29th June 2014), Ulyse30 (9th July 2014), Wind (30th June 2014)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Quote Posted by mpennery (here)
    If we all, or each neighborhood, had their own chicken coups and could raise them humanely, we wouldn't need industrial production and we wouldn't read stories like Cidersomerset shared.
    I am not opposed at all to the consuming of meat but a thought comes to mind....

With these non-free range chickens, pigs, cows etc. being so inhumanly treated it makes me wonder if something is changed at a cellular level that taints the meat in some way that would not otherwise adversely affect the health of those consuming it.

I mean, everything is connected right?

This has really got me thinking.....
    Last edited by joeecho; 30th June 2014 at 12:24.

10. Link to Post #26
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

Quote Posted by Joanne Shepard (here)
    I love chickens and the eggs have to be able to put them in the pot though after a year
    Why? We have some four year old birds that still lay 3-4 eggs per week. We even have a French Marans who is six and goes through laying cycles.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (23rd July 2014), RunningDeer (23rd July 2014)

12. Link to Post #27
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 times in 1,031 posts

Edit to Add: This was in response to your question about what type of chickens to get.. Coffee... Need more coffee.....

In my experience, you will do best with dual breed birds and large fowl versus bantams. Bantams are cute and sweet and lay tiny eggs that are wonderful for the pickling jar, but they are high maintenance, delicate and don't live very long. We have had great success with Ameracaunas (olive eggers) and French Marans. We are also experimenting with heritage breeds like Buckeyes (very unfriendly though and difficult to catch for dusting, nail trimming, etc).

Regarding Bantams, we have a couple of Bantam mutts (half polish/half cochin - we call them "Pochins". They are continually getting sour crop in which we are forced to "vomit them" (turn them upside down and squeeze out the contents of the crop). Horrible and nasty endeavor. The only good treatment is feeding them anti fungal cream. We don't even bother to eat their eggs now. They are just pretty little feather footed girls who are great mascots at our farm animal sanctuary (chickens that don't lay, goats that aren't milked, horses that are not ridden, LOL). If you want eggs and meat, avoid the little ones.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Ron Mauer Sr (23rd July 2014), RunningDeer (23rd July 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2