+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amazing Design for NASA’s Star Trek-style Space Ship, the IXS Enterprise

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 times in 2,185 posts

Default Amazing Design for NASA’s Star Trek-style Space Ship, the IXS Enterprise

The search button didn't find anything about this and I just ran into it... so I thought I'd inform....

Quote By Abby Phillip June 11

NASA engineer and physicist Harold White announced a few years ago that he was working on a potentially groundbreaking idea that could allow space travel faster than the speed of light. Yes, like in “Star Trek.”

And now, to boldly go where no designer has gone before, Mark Rademaker — who is collaborating with White — has created a CGI design concept for the “warp ship.” They’re calling it the IXS Enterprise.

“We wanted to have a decent image of a theory conforming Warp ship to motivate young people to pursue a STEM career,” Rademaker said in an e-mail interview. “It does have some Sci-Fi features that might never transfer to a possible final design, unless we really want to.”

A warp ship such as the IXS Enterprise could allow travel to interstellar space in a matter of weeks rather than, say, centuries. And the science behind why it might be possible is truly mind-boggling.

An over-simplified explanation is that the concept seeks to exploit a “loophole” in Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity that allows travel faster than the speed of light by expanding space-time behind the object and contracting space-time front of it. Io9 explains more:

Essentially, the empty space behind a starship would be made to expand rapidly, pushing the craft in a forward direction — passengers would perceive it as movement despite the complete lack of acceleration.

White speculates that such a drive could result in “speeds” that could take a spacecraft to Alpha Centauri in a mere two weeks — even though the system is 4.3 light-years away.

White, whose title is “Advanced Propulsion Theme Lead for the NASA Engineering Directorate,” has mathematically calculated a plausible way to accomplish this using far less energy than required by the original theory, which was proposed in 1994 by physicist Miguel Alcubierre.

His concept requires using large rings that surround the spacecraft (which you can see in the image above) to greatly reduce the amount of energy needed to warp space-time in front of and behind the spacecraft.....
    Continue reading at the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...prise/?hpid=z8

It looks to me that they certainly have a stargate around that ship model in the pict... CERN, anyone?
    "Vision without action is merely a dream.
    Action without vision just passes the time.
    Vision with action can change the world." Joel Arthur Barker

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MorningSong For This Post:

aheb (30th June 2014), Chrononaut (30th June 2014), Cidersomerset (30th June 2014), conk (30th June 2014), Fairy Friend (30th June 2014), ghostrider (30th June 2014), Hazel (30th June 2014), Hervé (30th June 2014), Limor Wolf (30th June 2014), Mike Gorman (30th June 2014), Omni (30th June 2014), seeker/reader (30th June 2014), shadowstalker (30th June 2014), Tommy (30th June 2014), wnlight (30th June 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 times in 444 posts

Default Re: Amazing Design for NASA’s Star Trek-style Space Ship, the IXS Enterprise

'a “loophole” in Albert Einstein’s theory of relativity'

His entire theory is a loophole. The more one researches, the more it is discovered that Einstein was a complete fraud, falsely elevated to "genius" status. Tesla was the real genius.

Sweet CGI, btw!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jake gittes For This Post:

Cidersomerset (30th June 2014), conk (30th June 2014), seeker/reader (30th June 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Norway Senior Administrator Tommy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,574 times in 371 posts

Default Re: Amazing Design for NASA’s Star Trek-style Space Ship, the IXS Enterprise

This is indeed interesting, at least in terms of what is in the public domain.

In terms of Einstein's Theory of relativity, Einstein never concluded his relativity research, hence why it is called "theory"
    That being said, the real blame is in the scientific establishment for using his theories as a "law" instead of "theory". In fact if one just builds on his theories and use different angles on his work it can still be quite useful.

Now, let's see if this get's made in any of our lifetimes
    Last edited by Tommy; 30th June 2014 at 14:32.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommy For This Post:

Cidersomerset (30th June 2014), Mike Gorman (30th June 2014), MorningSong (30th June 2014), seeker/reader (30th June 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member seeker/reader's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 times in 540 posts

Quote Posted by MorningSong (here)

Essentially, the empty space behind a starship would be made to expand rapidly, pushing the craft in a forward direction — passengers would perceive it as movement despite the complete lack of acceleration.
    Sounds like, "traveling without moving," or folding space just like in the movie, "Dune"

I wonder if they have some spice(for the navigators) hidden on the ship, LOL.

Cool stuff. Thanks for the info!!

Post edit**

Is this their first step to letting "Solar Warden" out into the public domain?
    Last edited by seeker/reader; 30th June 2014 at 13:34.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seeker/reader For This Post:

Cidersomerset (30th June 2014), ghostrider (30th June 2014), MorningSong (30th June 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Quote The search button didn't find anything about this and I just ran into it... so I thought I'd inform....
    I saw this the otherday and thought I'd check it out later, then
    forgot where I saw it...LOL

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 30th June 2014 at 13:27.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Hervé (30th June 2014), MorningSong (30th June 2014), seeker/reader (30th June 2014), wnlight (30th June 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,282 times in 1,435 posts

Well maybe its time to "bring out" the technology that they've already had for years!
    "Without the human request, nothing will happen."

"This must never be forgotten, that the human has the power to prevail."

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tyy1907 For This Post:

Billy (30th June 2014), Chrononaut (30th June 2014), Cidersomerset (30th June 2014), seeker/reader (30th June 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tyy1907 (here)
    Well maybe its time to "bring out" the technology that they've already had for years!
    I totally agree..

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrononaut For This Post:

Cidersomerset (30th June 2014), Hervé (30th June 2014), wnlight (30th June 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Ecuador Honored, Retired Member. Warren passed on 2 July, 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 times in 864 posts

These are really cool images. Thanks guys! Someone should use these images in a new Star Trek movie.

I do wonder for how many years has NASA already had these warp drives.
    Last edited by wnlight; 30th June 2014 at 19:47.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Chrononaut (1st July 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

when NASA announced the retirement of the shuttles , I knew right then they solved a huge problem with moving in space quickly ... I believe the Cern experiment helped them realize controlling the speed of particles of energy is the key to energy screens ( shields ) allowing particles to glide of the craft without any resistance at all , which allows faster than light travel , once they install a second drive , they eventually with break light speed millions of times over and enter in to null-time where space and time collapse and you can go anywhere in a fraction of a second ... programing the speed of the particles along with frequency is another step towards exploring deep space , the information to accomplish this has been available since 1978 ... When Ben Rich made the statement we can now take ET home , they solved some sort of math equation space and time that had them stumped ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Chrononaut (1st July 2014)

+ Reply to Thread