Page 61 of 115 FirstFirst 1 11 51 61 71 111 115 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2281

Thread: The Great Quotes thread

1. Link to Post #1201
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 449 posts

Default Re: The Great Quotes thread

This made me laugh; no attribution:

Some mornings I find it hardly worth chewing through the constraints.

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    genevieve

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to genevieve For This Post:

Ivanhoe (12th July 2014), Jake (11th July 2014), joeecho (19th July 2014), Omni (11th July 2014), Wind (12th July 2014)

3. Link to Post #1202
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

The Proof is in the Pudding..
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Agape (11th July 2014), joeecho (19th July 2014), Omni (11th July 2014), Shezbeth (11th July 2014), Wind (12th July 2014)

5. Link to Post #1203
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by Omniverse (here)
    Quote Posted by bruno dante (here)
    I've never been big on quotes or philosophy, honestly. If you're having a problem in life, and a quote makes you feel better, I would submit that that problem wasn't much of a problem to begin with. Not trying to be a downer here. Just my 2 cents.

"To philosophize is only another way of being afraid and leads hardly anywhere but to cowardly make-believe.". -Celine
    I'll have to disagree. I've gained spiritually and intellectually tremendously from quotes. It helps me 'remember' things embedded into my soul... And I'm not in agreeance with the quote from celine either. To philosophize is a mark of an intelligent person IMHO.

Quote phi·los·o·phy
    [fi-los-uh-fee] Show IPA
    noun, plural phi·los·o·phies.
    the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

Ok

As I was reading this thread I was thinking of a friend of mine and of some events that took place not too long ago. His brother's girlfriend had broken up with the brother after 3 years together, and he was despondent. And he (my friend) kept saying to me: "Hank, I don't understand it, I've been giving my brother the best advice lately, I've been administering wisdom left n right. It just goes right through him."

I understood perfectly. The most severe and painful life experiences are those of the heart. And the heart, as we all know, does not respond to logic. A quote or a philosophy will, at best, inspire us intellectually, and usually only for a short period of time. My experience anyway...

Think back to your greatest heartache. Maybe consider love lost, or a partner who has stopped loving you. I think most of us would agree that it is probably the most painful experience one can have. That type of pain is so deep, so profound, that a quote or philosophy, no matter how clever, will never reach it. Not in a million years.
    I disagree that the heart is not intellectual in ways. I've had in depth experiences with my heart chakra being dimmed and made big/functional quite instantly. It affects intelligence in ways observably. Also the heart has neurons... So it can think too in ways and quite possibly be the connection to your souls wisdom in ways(mainly crown of course)..

Quote So I stand by what I said: if a quote or a philosophy truly helps alleviate or illuminate an issue or problem you might be having, it likely wasn't a serious one to begin with.

With Respect,
    Hank
    A lot of them aren't for fixing problems but are for spiritual and intellectual growth...
    The heart is THE intelligence. The heart transmits vastly more signals to the brain than does the brain to the heart. A simple physiological fact. The heart develops neurons before the brain does. The heart (and the body) is the mind.

The heart is the brains of the soul. And you can quote me on that.
    Last edited by conk; 11th July 2014 at 17:18.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Agape (19th July 2014), enigma3 (24th October 2020), genevieve (12th July 2014), Omni (11th July 2014), Wind (12th July 2014)

7. Link to Post #1204
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,216 times in 1,274 posts

I've never been big on quotes or philosophy, honestly. If you're having a problem in life, and a quote makes you feel better, I would submit that that problem wasn't much of a problem to begin with. Not trying to be a downer here. Just my 2 cents.
    In a manner of speaking, you're right.

Quotes and/or the philosophy they allude to have little to do with illumination or 'education', they are more about an affirmation of an achieved disposition. Even the quotes that seem to push others in a particular direction or assist in 'aha!' moments are more of a supplement to a disposition or direction that they had already engaged or pursued.

Especially pertaining to the act of writing quotes; there is a degree of finesse to it (though more half assed and prosaic than poetic) but there is an equal (if not greater) element of mental masturbation and aggrandizement. Individual results may vary. ^_^

8. Link to Post #1205
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,241 times in 4,595 posts

''For every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.'' ( Ecclesiastes 3:1)

I always liked this one for some reason...

Inter arma silent musae .

Among the noise of arms muses ( of arts ) keep silent .

Inter arma enim silent leges

Among arms laws fall mute .

Truth is the first casualty of war (Aeschylus )

Sero molunt deorum molae molunt autem tenuiter . Divine mills move slow but steadfast ..

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Omni (11th July 2014), Shezbeth (11th July 2014), Wind (12th July 2014)

10. Link to Post #1206
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Agape (12th July 2014), drneglector (16th August 2019), joeecho (19th July 2014), Mac (12th July 2014), Omni (12th July 2014), Shezbeth (12th July 2014)

12. Link to Post #1207
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

Great idea for a thread.

I found this sobering inscription reminding us all of our own mortality on the tomb of Thomas Gooding (d. 1600) in Norwich Cathederal. In modern English in part it reads:

Quote ...As you are now, I once was. As I am now, you will be...
    The full six line inscription is here.

Nick

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

drneglector (16th August 2019), Jake (12th July 2014), joeecho (2nd August 2014), Mac (12th July 2014), Omni (12th July 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (2nd October 2015), Wind (13th July 2014)

14. Link to Post #1208
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Quote “"Indian policy" has now been brought down upon the American people, and the American people are the new Indians of the 21st Century.” Russel Means
    Jake. ..........
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

conk (15th July 2014), joeecho (2nd August 2014), Muzz (19th July 2014), Omni (12th July 2014), Sebastion (12th July 2014), Wind (13th July 2014)

16. Link to Post #1209
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,798 times in 2,657 posts

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." ~ Oscar Wilde, Irish Dramatist. 1854-1900.

warmest,
    crosby.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to crosby For This Post:

Franny (16th October 2015)

18. Link to Post #1210
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

“A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.”
    ― Dorothy L. Sayers, Gaudy Night

“Be careful--with quotations, you can damn anything.”
    ― André Malraux

“Everyone can write a cliché. What's rare is to write them often and unashamedly enough that people quote it as if it's some deep S**t.”
    ― Jimmy Lo

"There is only one true Reality" -Anonymous
    And oddly that is nowhere to be found in this 'reality'? Or perhaps just say.... "reality is unreal, dude!" (unsuccessful attempt at a southern California surfer accent)

Last edited by joeecho; 19th July 2014 at 19:32.

19. Link to Post #1211
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

"Money is not the root of all evil, evil is the root of all evil..." -Omnisense
    "The root of all evil grows in an ENDLESS search for water, as is its destiny."

- JoeEcho

Last edited by joeecho; 19th July 2014 at 20:04.

20. Link to Post #1212
    Thanks

''Have you met any famous tourist today ?'' ( Long time no see British friend and his regular humorous greeting ).

We are all visitors on this planet ( H.H.Dalailama )

We are all pilgrims ...

One day , none of this we consider important will be in place .. this house, this city . Even this country .. it's existence will be pulverised by time . Heroes and villains we know now will be long forgotten . None of the technology as we know it will exist ..
    not even the internet .
    Yet ... the world will be roughly the same .. and we will be walking in the dust of our ancestors .
    There will be memories of this civilisation, long gone . Languages that do not exist yet . Everything will be brand new , just the same way it appears to your eyes right now ,
    and that is because in every glimpse of a moment your eyes too are born anew .

In our eyes the world is changing . But otherwise , maybe it's always been the same ..

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

joeecho (2nd August 2014), justntime2learn (1st July 2017), Omni (31st July 2014), Shezbeth (1st September 2014), Wind (31st July 2014)

22. Link to Post #1213
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

"...the hardest place to sell a book is in a bookstore." -unknown
    I love that. I worked that out earlier this summer...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Omni (23rd October 2014)

24. Link to Post #1214
    Thanks

“What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many countries can't all be worth dying for.”
    ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

“Why are they going to disappear him?'
    I don't know.'
    It doesn't make sense. It isn't even good grammar.”

“Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window, and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage. The spirit gone, man is garbage. That was Snowden's secret. Ripeness was all.”

“You have deep-seated survival anxieties. And you don't like bigots, bullies, snobs or hypocrites. Subconsciously there are many people you hate."

"Consciously, sir, consciously," Yossarian corrected in an effort to help. "I hate them consciously.”

“From now on I'm thinking only of me."

Major Danby replied indulgently with a superior smile: "But, Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way."

"Then," said Yossarian, "I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?”

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/814330-catch-22
    Last edited by Agape; 9th December 2014 at 14:34.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Wind (9th December 2014)

26. Link to Post #1215
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,141 times in 1,888 posts

I agree Limor Wolf, there is a lot of thoughts to read or I mean Quotes. still thoughts from somewhere. I am going to post pics of thoughts that I have come across. So here goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ujk1.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	31401  
    Attached Images        

27. Link to Post #1216
    Thanks

And here are some more. These appear to be quotes and possible fit on this thread.

Thank you Omniverse. Or as you say Omnisense
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gov sharecropper saying.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	31405   Click image for larger version

Name:	John Wooden.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	31406   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewWorldOrder.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	31407   Click image for larger version

Name:	People with armed security should S.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	31409  
    Attached Images  

28. Link to Post #1217
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,600 times in 1,987 posts

whoa...did not know about this thread! Many, many thanks!

What fun Avalon is!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Bluegreen (2nd October 2015), Lost N Found (3rd October 2015), Omni (2nd October 2015)

30. Link to Post #1218
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    “What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many countries can't all be worth dying for.”

“Why are they going to disappear him?'
    I don't know.'
    It doesn't make sense. It isn't even good grammar.”

“Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window, and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage. The spirit gone, man is garbage. That was Snowden's secret. Ripeness was all.”

“You have deep-seated survival anxieties. And you don't like bigots, bullies, snobs or hypocrites. Subconsciously there are many people you hate."

"Consciously, sir, consciously," Yossarian corrected in an effort to help. "I hate them consciously.”

“From now on I'm thinking only of me."

Major Danby replied indulgently with a superior smile: "But, Yossarian, suppose everyone felt that way."

"Then," said Yossarian, "I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?”

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/814330-catch-22
    Yes Yes Yes, Catch 22 Could post the movie but the book was totally great, I think the movie was also so here is a bit,

This may be off a bit but you did bring this very interesting person up.
    Thank you Agape

31. Link to Post #1219
    United States Avalon Member lightwalker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 times in 155 posts

"People love me so much they give me money and stuff"

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lightwalker For This Post:

Lost N Found (3rd October 2015), Meggings (3rd October 2015)

33. Link to Post #1220
    Thanks

Hey lightwalker where is the cup to put the money and stuff in? Your just so cute I reached into my pockets immediately.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 115 FirstFirst 1 11 51 61 71 111 115 LastLast