+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 115 FirstFirst 1 17 57 67 77 115 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 2282

Thread: The Great Quotes thread

1. Link to Post #1321
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,311 times in 5,718 posts

Default Re: The Great Quotes thread

“We frolic in our emancipation from theology, but have we developed a natural ethic—a moral code independent of religion—strong enough to keep our instincts of acquisition, pugnacity, and sex from debasing our civilization into a mire of greed, crime, and promiscuity? Have we really outgrown intolerance, or merely transferred it from religious to national, ideological, or racial hostilities?”
    ― Will Durant, The Lessons of History

"Grow strong, my comrade ....that you may stand
    Unshaken when I fall; that I may know
    The shattered fragments of my songs will come
    At last to find melody in you;
    That I may tell my heart that you begin
    Where passing I leave off, and fathom more."
    Will Durant.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Anka (10th December 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (21st December 2019), Bill Ryan (8th December 2019), Franny (8th December 2019), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Pam (17th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #1322
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Inspired by a traditional Romanian saying,impossible to translate through google

So I adapted it in the same sense of understanding.But I want to say that, I would very much like all people to look up to sky offering something beautiful they can't have, instead of asking for something they can have.

"If you give and don't have, but you think you can get, you end up not giving something you could actually have."
    And all this to be just human.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (21st December 2019), Bill Ryan (14th December 2019), Franny (21st December 2019), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Pam (17th December 2019)

5. Link to Post #1323
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

For all the responsibility of the future that belongs to us,

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today"

Abraham Lincoln

And some of the thousands of sayings I grew up with,

When everything is too late
    Bring water after the fire has gone out.

When someone is looking for the good in something that is wrong
    Collect the pimples for its back.

When you can no longer resist a situation
    Get the knife to the bone.(metaphorically and ironically)

When there is an ace up your sleeve for a person you want to calm down
    To have someone's coat needle.

For people who are very lucky without making any effort that requires focus on a plan
    To have more luck than mind.

When someone insists on a subject without making a good objective resolution.
    Beat the water in the well

When someone is unjustifiably avenging the person or animal who is the most peaceful and fair
    Beat the horse that pulls.

When someone can't keep a secret and tells everyone he meets
    Beat the drum all over the village.

When someone goes beyond any measure of common sense and your understanding comes to an end
    To step on the light bulb.

When you are on the side of someone who is dear to you and more importantly, you know with simple facts that he is right
    Singing for someone in the hall

When you do something in vain but continue for a good purpose
    Carrying water with sieve.

When you encounter something similar to the previous situation with small different details.
    The same Marie with another hat.

When you study a difficult situation and break it down into chapters methodically
    Split the thread into four.

Arguing someone very hard with too real arguments
    Make someone with egg and vinegar.

When you try to reconcile two people who have the same opinion but quarrel
    Reconcile the goat with cabbage.

When you hunt a truth and without wanting it, you find the truth in its demonstration
    Shoot two rabbits out of a fire.

When you live in a society where you no longer find meaning in what it represents,and those who rule the world always advise you to go wrong.
    Put the cart before the cattle.

When you realize that there is no God and you are already trying to help yourself in your aspirations.
    Help yourself and the Lord will help you.

Water conducts and purifies everything and in all its effort the stones are self-standing as a demonstration of memory and steadfastness
    The water passes, the stones remain.

For a person who is poor but prides himself on his needs
    He has a cart with oxen and a hundred needs.

When you have the highest allowance listen with interest and study whatever you hear but you can't believe it until you have clear evidence for yourself.
    Listen to everything, but don't believe everything.

When an heir makes wrong choices similar to his father's.
    The bark does not jump far from the trunk.

A hard-working man he takes care to get what he needs long before he needs it.
    The good housekeeper makes a sledge in the summer and a carriage in winter

When such a small truth can overturn the whole plot against this Planet.
    The small log can overturn the big cart.
    ...I hope you liked them, because I have lived them so far, the peak from the perspective of the one who still suffers
    Love,
    Anka

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (21st December 2019), Bill Ryan (15th December 2019), frankstien (25th December 2019), Franny (21st December 2019), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Krist (16th December 2019)

7. Link to Post #1324
    Thanks

"The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth" - African proverb

"The soul of man,as it were,flows outwards in the activities of his own will." - Rudolf Steiner(Theosophy)

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rhogar For This Post:

Anka (16th December 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (21st December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), frankstien (25th December 2019), Franny (21st December 2019), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Krist (16th December 2019), Wind (18th December 2019)

9. Link to Post #1325
    Australia Avalon Member Zanshin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 times in 268 posts

Without seeking to diminish in any way, great quotes from the past -
    here's something a little more current.

"The technology is on the engineering benches today. But most Americans and most members of Congress have not had time to really look deeply at what is going on here. But I’ve had the benefit of 33 years of studying and becoming friends with these scientists. This technology can be built today with technology that is not developmental to deliver any human being from any place on planet Earth to any other place in less than an hour."

- Recently retired USAF Lt.Gen. Stephen L. Kwast. - last month.

Around 12mins in -

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zanshin For This Post:

Anka (21st December 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (21st December 2019), Bill Ryan (17th December 2019), Iloveyou (21st January 2020)

11. Link to Post #1326
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,617 times in 32,796 posts

Are you not ashamed of heaping up the greatest amount of money and honor and reputation, and caring so little about wisdom and truth and the greatest improvement of the soul?
    Socrates

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (22nd December 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (21st December 2019), Bluegreen (25th December 2019), Caliban (22nd December 2019), East Sun (25th December 2019), Eva2 (22nd December 2019), frankstien (25th December 2019), Franny (21st December 2019), Gracy (21st December 2019), happyuk (22nd December 2019), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Rhogar (27th December 2019), Yoda (22nd December 2019)

13. Link to Post #1327
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 times in 325 posts

“...and then, I have nature and art and poetry, and if that is not enough, what is enough?”
    ― Vincent van Gogh

“A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke”
    ― Vincent Van Gogh

“Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.”
    ― Vincent van Gogh

“What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?”

“The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.”
    ― Vincent Van Gogh

“What am I in the eyes of most people — a nonentity, an eccentric, or an unpleasant person — somebody who has no position in society and will never have; in short, the lowest of the low. All right, then — even if that were absolutely true, then I should one day like to show by my work what such an eccentric, such a nobody, has in his heart. That is my ambition, based less on resentment than on love in spite of everything, based more on a feeling of serenity than on passion. Though I am often in the depths of misery, there is still calmness, pure harmony and music inside me. I see paintings or drawings in the poorest cottages, in the dirtiest corners. And my mind is driven towards these things with an irresistible momentum.”
    ― Vincent Van Gogh
    "If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Anka (27th December 2019), Bill Ryan (25th December 2019), Bluegreen (25th December 2019), East Sun (25th December 2019), Ernie Nemeth (9th January 2020), Franny (25th December 2019), happyuk (16th May 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Rhogar (27th December 2019), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020)

15. Link to Post #1328
    Thanks

“Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate. The future is in your hands.”
    ― Milton William Cooper, Behold a Pale Horse

“To cling to the past is guaranteed suicide. To remain apathetic is assured enslavement. To learn the truth and then act on it is the only means of survival at this moment.”

“The general rule is that there is profit in confusion; the more confusion, the more profit. Therefore, the best approach is to create problems and then offer the solutions.”

“Media: Keep the adult public attention diverted away from the real social issues, and captivated by matters of no real importance.”

“when you assume the appearance of power, people soon give it to you.”

“Experience has proven that the SIMPLEST METHOD of securing a silent weapon and gaining control of the public is to KEEP THE PUBLIC UNDISCIPLINED AND IGNORANT of basic systems principles on the one hand, WHILE KEEPING THEM CONFUSED, DISORGANIZED, AND DISTRACTED with matters of no real importance on the other hand. [WC all emphases.”

“The quality of education given to the lower class must be of the poorest sort, so that the moat of ignorance isolating the inferior class from the superior class is and remains incomprehensible to the inferior class. With such an initial handicap, even bright lower class individuals have little if any hope of extricating themselves from their assigned lot in life. This form of slavery is essential to maintaining some measure of social order, peace, and tranquility for the ruling upper class.”
    "If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Anka (27th December 2019), Bill Ryan (27th December 2019), Franny (2nd January 2020), happyuk (16th May 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Rhogar (27th December 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (27th December 2019), Satori (8th January 2020), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020)

17. Link to Post #1329
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

"When I don't know who I am, I serve you, when I know who I am, I am you, I am loving awareness, I am home"

"We are not under time or space, we are infinite"

In the memory of Ram Dass

Love,
    Anka

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th December 2019), Caliban (27th December 2019), frankstien (29th December 2019), Franny (2nd January 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (27th December 2019), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020), Victoria (28th December 2019)

19. Link to Post #1330
    Thanks

"No society wants you to become wise,it is against the investment of all societies.If the people are wise they cannot be exploited.
    If they are intelligent they cannot be subjugated,they cannot be forced into a mechanical life,to live like robots...They will have the fragrance of
    rebellion around them.
    In fact,a wise man is afire,alive,aflame.He would like rather to die than to be enslaved." - Osho

"They are two primary choices in life:to accept conditions as they exist or accept the responsibility for changing them." - Denis Waitley

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rhogar For This Post:

Anka (27th December 2019), Bill Ryan (27th December 2019), Franny (2nd January 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Ron Mauer Sr (27th December 2019), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020), Victoria (28th December 2019)

21. Link to Post #1331
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,617 times in 32,796 posts

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
    Bruce Lee

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (27th December 2019), Caliban (27th December 2019), frankstien (29th December 2019), Franny (2nd January 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Rhogar (27th December 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (27th December 2019), Satori (8th January 2020), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020), Victoria (28th December 2019), Yoda (31st December 2019)

23. Link to Post #1332
    Thanks

"Willful ignorance in the presence of the Knowledge is the measure of a bad person" - Mark Passio

"The evolution of man is the evolution of his consciousness, and Consciousness cannot evolve unconsciously.
    The evolution of man is the evolution of his will,and Will cannot evolve involuntarily." - George Gurdjieff

"Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent.” - Arthur Conan Doyle

"Evil is not something superhuman, it's something less than human." - Agatha Christie

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rhogar For This Post:

Anka (2nd January 2020), Bill Ryan (1st January 2020), frankstien (1st January 2020), Franny (2nd January 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020)

25. Link to Post #1333
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

'Onward through the fog...' Greg Young, friend
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Anka (2nd January 2020), Bill Ryan (1st January 2020), Franny (2nd January 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020)

27. Link to Post #1334
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die.

Leonardo da Vinci

and only a few thoughts,
    I have a survival instinct that makes me feel completely different from myself and others.We all have it.
    My individuality transcends even quietly to others and this implies love for the community and human beings.

The whole life course turns into a journey in which the purpose becomes the same as the journey itself, as futuristic metamorphosed into the whole spiritual philosophy that attests me in this life.
    At the same time, the fear of death is an absurd competition which is no longer important to me.

The spontaneity of the life we ​​live comes from itself, not from us, and if we try to command with force, through negative emotions or indecision, this process of spontaneity called "life" actually manages to stop it.

Why should we follow such a negative process that we finally give in to positivity?
    Why look for the secret of life, when you can be fully engaged in a simple mechanism of sufficient self, to be constantly aware of what you are doing and how much importance it has in the end?

I really do not see the need to continue to live, except through the prism of what life teaches me to listen to (and is so subtle) in order to make the premise that human (modern) civilization may be classified according to its own genetically inscribed senses, in essence of initial construction initiated by the primary order and full of love which means life.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th January 2020), Franny (8th January 2020), Iloveyou (21st January 2020), Rhogar (16th January 2020), Valerie Villars (8th January 2020)

29. Link to Post #1335
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 times in 1,223 posts

"To get a human body is a rare thing. Make full use of it. There are four million kinds of lives which a soul can gather. After that one gets a chance to be human, to get a human body. Therefore one should not waste that chance. Every second of human life is valuable. If you don't value this then you will weep in the end. Because you are human, God has given you the power to think and to decide what is good and bad. Therefore you can do the best kind of action. You should never consider yourself weak or a fallen creature. Whatever may have happened up to now may be because you didn't know, but now be careful. After getting a human body, if you don't reach God - then you have sold a diamond at the price of spinach."

Swami Bramananda Saraswati (quoted by Greg Caton) in an interview
    Last edited by Iloveyou; 21st January 2020 at 06:12.

30. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

Anka (21st January 2020), AriG (21st January 2020), Bill Ryan (21st January 2020), Bluegreen (21st January 2020), Cara (1st February 2020), DeDukshyn (9th February 2020), edina (13th March 2020), Hym (9th February 2020), Icare (14th April 2020), Rhogar (21st January 2020), Valerie Villars (29th January 2020), Wind (21st January 2020)

31. Link to Post #1336
    Thanks

"Americans love their captivity. There's no responsibility. When you're a captive, you don't have to make a decision about anything, though you have no Liberty. People don't want Liberty. Liberty is nothing but uncertainty. It's much easier to have someone tell you where you'll be, what you'll do and who you'll pay tomorrow than to worry about it yourself. The same goes for what you think"
    --Eustace Mullins

"The Federal Reserve System is not Federal; it has no reserves; and it is not a system at all, but rather, a criminal syndicate."
    --Eustace Mullins

"The first task of the Federal Reserve system would be to finance the World War. The European nations were already bankrupt, because they had maintained large standing armies for almost fifty years, a situation created by their own central banks, and therefore they could not finance a war. A central bank always imposes a tremendous burden on the nation for "rearmament" and "defense", in order to create inextinguishable debt, simultaneously creating a military dictatorship and enslaving the people to pay the "interest" on the debt which the bankers have artificially created."
    --Eustace Mullins

"It is true that the American colonials have "free elections," in which they have the absolute right to vote for one of two opposing candidates, both of whom have been handpicked and financed by the Rockefeller syndicate. This touching evidence of "democracy" serves to convince most Americana that we are indeed a free people. We even have a cracked Liberty Bell in Philadelphia to prove it."
    --Eustace Mullins

"The increase in the assets of the Federal Reserve Banks from 143 Million dollars in 1913 to 45 Billion dollars in 1949 went directly to the private stockholders of the [Federal Reserve] banks."
    --Eustace Mullins

"According to Colonel Ely Garrison, in his autobiography and according to the United States Naval Secret Service Report on Paul Warburg, the Russian Revolution had been financed by the Rothschilds and Warburgs, with a member of the Warburg family carrying the actual funds used by Lenin and Trotsky in Stockholm in 1918."
    --Eustace Mullins
    --frankstien

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Anka (29th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (1st April 2020), Bill Ryan (29th January 2020), DeDukshyn (9th February 2020), edina (13th March 2020), Hym (9th February 2020), Ivanhoe (29th January 2020), Sue (Ayt) (24th March 2020), Tintin (2nd April 2020), Valerie Villars (29th January 2020)

33. Link to Post #1337
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,555 times in 2,555 posts

An 1898 quote apropos to the current situation perhaps.

Name:  content.png
Views: 592
Size:  5.6 KB
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

34. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Anka (29th January 2020), Bill Ryan (29th January 2020), Bluegreen (29th January 2020), Cara (1st February 2020), DeDukshyn (9th February 2020), EFO (23rd February 2020), fractal being (3rd April 2020), Hym (9th February 2020), Ivanhoe (29th January 2020), Rhogar (29th January 2020), Valerie Villars (29th January 2020)

35. Link to Post #1338
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

"For 200 years we've been conquering nature. Now we're beating it to death."
    Tom McMillan

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th February 2020), DeDukshyn (9th February 2020), edina (13th March 2020), EFO (23rd February 2020), Hym (9th February 2020), Rhogar (3rd April 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th February 2020)

37. Link to Post #1339
    Thanks

The great author of the Golden Age of Russian Literature: Ivan Turgenev

“If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin.”
    ― Ivan Turgenev

“Nature cares nothing for logic, our human logic: she has her own, which we do not recognize and do not acknowledge until we are crushed under its wheel.”
    ― Ivan Turgenev

"I do not know what the heart of a bad man is like. But i do know what the heart of a good man is like. And it is terrible."
    ― Ivan Turgenev

"The people who bind themselves to systems are those who are unable to encompass the whole truth and try to catch it by the tail; a system is like the tail of truth, but truth is like a lizard; it leaves its tail in your fingers and runs away knowing full well that it will grow a new one in a twinkling."
    ― Ivan Turgenev

"Belonging to oneself--the whole essence of life lies in that."
    ― Ivan Turgenev

"Death's an old joke, but each individual encounters it anew."
    ― Ivan Turgenev

"Women... can't live with 'em... can't shoot 'em."
    ― Ivan Turgenev

“We sit in the mud, my friend, and reach for the stars.”
    ― Ivan Turgenev, Fathers and Sons

“Nothing is worse and more hurtful than a happiness that comes too late. It can give no pleasure, yet it deprives you of that most precious of rights - the right to swear and curse at your fate!”
    ― Ivan S. Turgenev, Rudin
    --frankstien

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Anka (9th February 2020), Bill Ryan (9th February 2020), DeDukshyn (9th February 2020), edina (13th March 2020), EFO (23rd February 2020), Hym (9th February 2020), Ivanhoe (9th February 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th February 2020)

39. Link to Post #1340
    Thanks

Frank Zappa Quotes

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
    --Frank Zappa

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
    --Frank Zappa

"Music is the only religion that delivers the goods."
    --Frank Zappa

"The universe consists of 5% protons, 5% neutrons, 5% electrons and 85% morons."
    --Frank Zappa

"The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater."
    --Frank Zappa

"There are only two things to remember. Number one...Don't Stop, and number two...Keep Going!"
    --Frank Zappa

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
    --Frank Zappa

"Modern Americans behave as if intelligence were some sort of hideous deformity."
    --Frank Zappa

"I'm vile and perverted. I'm obsessed and deranged. I've existed for years but very little has changed. I'm the tool of the government and industry too. For I'm destined to rule and regulate you. You may think I'm pernicious, but you can't look away. I'll make you think I'm delicious with the stuff that I say. I'm the best you can get... have you guessed me yet? I'm the slime oozing out of your TV set."
    --Frank Zappa

"Schools train people to be ignorant, with style. They give you the equipment that you need to be a functional ignoramus. American schools* do not equip you to deal with things like logic; they don't give you the criteria by which to judge between good and bad in any medium or format; and they prepare you to be a usable victim for military-industrial complex that needs manpower."
    --Frank Zappa

"I would say that today, dishonesty is the rule, and honesty the exception. It could be, statistically, that more people are honest than dishonest, but the few that really control things are not honest, and that tips the balance."
    --Frank Zappa

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment."
    --Frank Zappa

--frankstien

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Anka (23rd February 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (1st April 2020), edina (13th March 2020), EFO (23rd February 2020), Franny (24th March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (24th March 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 115 FirstFirst 1 17 57 67 77 115 LastLast