Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 4 7 LastLast

Thread: The Great Quotes thread

1. Link to Post #61
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,273 times in 1,132 posts

Default Re: The Great Quotes thread

Attachment 31672

This is Frances Perkins. She was Secretary of Labor and first woman to hold a Presidential cabinet appointment. She began her career fighting poverty in some of the most impoverished communities in New York and Philadelphia. Perkins was known for her determination, boldness, and ability to find common ground between people with wildly different viewpoints.

It has been said by men inside Franklin Roosevelt's circle, that it was not "The FDR New Deal" but rather was "The Perkins New Deal".

2. Link to Post #62
    Australia Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,449 times in 1,706 posts

"A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." Max Planck

"Anybody who has been seriously engaged in scientific work of any kind realizes that over the entrance to the gates of the temple of science are written the words: 'Ye must have faith.' " Max Planck
    Unity within the diversity

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

drneglector (16th August 2019), Foxie Loxie (29th October 2016), Franny (28th June 2019), Ivanhoe (29th June 2019), Kryztian (18th April 2019), Meggings (7th November 2015), Omni (1st November 2015), Wind (2nd November 2015)

4. Link to Post #63
    United States Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 15,048 times in 1,859 posts

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new". SOCRATES 470BC
    Link

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th May 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Foxie Loxie (29th October 2016), Franny (28th June 2019), Inaiá (19th April 2019), Meggings (13th November 2015), Muzz (12th November 2015), Omni (12th November 2015), peterpam (12th May 2019)

6. Link to Post #64
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,273 times in 1,132 posts

All from Friedrich Nietzche:

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

7. Link to Post #65
    Scotland Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,311 times in 1,801 posts

"He that fights psy-ops, should see to it, that..."

- Unknown

8. Link to Post #66
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,608 times in 1,249 posts

We must accept our reality as vastly as we possibly can; everything, even the unprecedented, must be possible within it. This is in the end the only kind of courage that is required of us: the courage to face the strangest, most unusual, most inexplicable experiences that can meet us. - - Rainer Maria Rilke

The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists. The American mind simply has not come to a realization of the evil which has been introduced into our midst. It rejects even the assumption that human creatures could espouse a philosophy which must ultimately destroy all that is good and decent. - - J. Edgar Hoover

In the end, we return to the question, just how much do you love truth? Do you really love truth or are you just curious? Do you love it enough to rebuild your understanding to conform to a reality that doesn’t fit your current beliefs, and doesn’t feel 120% happy? Do you love truth enough to continue seeking even when it hurts, when it reveals aspects of yourself (or human society, or the universe) that are shocking, complex and disturbing, or humbling, glorious and amazing – or even, when truth is far beyond human mind itself? Just how much do we love truth? It’s a good question to ask ourselves, I think. -- Scott Mandelker

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - - Arthur Schopenhauer

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    -- Aristotle

I would rather spend my life searching for the truth than rest a single day within the comfort of a lie. — John Victor Ramses

Everyone who “believes” in an attempt to “create reality” that is different from what IS, adds to the increase of chaos and entropy. If your beliefs are orthogonal to the truth, no matter how strongly you believe them, you are essentially coming into conflict with how the Universe views itself and I can assure you, you ain’t gonna win that contest. You are inviting destruction upon yourself and all who engage in this “staring down the universe” exercise with you.

On the other hand, if you are able to view the Universe as it views itself, objectively, without blinking, and with acceptance of the reality and appropriate responses to how things really are, you then become more “aligned” with the Creative energy of the universe and your very consciousness becomes a transducer of order energy, and your actions are consonant with what is. Your energy of observation, given unconditionally, matched by the appropriate actions, can bring order to chaos, can create out of infinite potential. -- Laura Knight-Jadczyk

Cowardice ask the question is it safe? Expediency asks the question is it politics? Vanity asks the question is it popular? The conscience asks the question is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe nor politics nor popular but he must do it because conscience tells him it is right. -- Martin Luther King Jr.

“From a historical point of view, the only reality is that of conspiracy. Secrecy, wealth and independence add up to power. …Deception is the key element of warfare, (the tool of the power elites), and when winning is all that matters, the conventional morality held by ordinary people becomes an impediment. Secrecy stems from a pervasive and fundamental element of life in our world, that those who are at the top of the heap will always take whatever steps are necessary to maintain the status quo.

The very label ‘conspiracy’ serves as an automatic dismissal, as though no one ever acts in secret. Let us bring some perspective and common sense to this issue. The United States comprises large organizations – corporations, bureaucracies, ‘interest groups,’ and the like – which are conspiratorial by nature. That is, they are hierarchical, their important decisions are made in secret by a few key decision-makers, and they are not above lying about their activities. Such is the nature of organizational behavior. ‘Conspiracy,’ in this key sense, is a way of life around the globe.“ -- Richard Dolan

"They always say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." - Andy Warhol

We are the people who run this country. We are the deciders. And every single day, every single one of us needs to step outside and take some action to help stop this war... We need people in the streets, banging pots and pans and demanding, "Stop it, now!" - Molly Ivins

For we are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world, the rulers, authorities, and cosmic powers of this dark age. - Ephesians 6:12

“Destiny comes to those who listen and fate finds the rest.”
    - Unknown
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    -George Orwell

"Nothing in this world, nothing, works the way you think it does. There's always more to the story."
    -- Jordan Maxwell

“The best way to keep something bad from happening is to see it ahead of time... and you can't see it if you refuse to face the possibility.”
    ― William S. Burroughs

Religion, culture, legal and economic systems, countries, and corporations are determined by perceived reality. When enough people accept these perceptions or when they are codified into laws, they have immense impact on objective reality. Breakthroughs in modern science indicate that changes in human perceptions not only govern human behavior; they govern – everything.
    -- John Perkins
    Last edited by Kryztian; 18th April 2019 at 19:52.

9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th May 2019), Bill Ryan (12th May 2019), Bob (11th May 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Franny (28th June 2019), Iloveyou (12th May 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Paul (19th April 2019), peterpam (12th May 2019), Valerie Villars (18th April 2019)

10. Link to Post #67
    Thanks

Here's a quote I like and find inspiring from Meher Baba - 'Each soul is God passing through imagination to realize individually his own divinity'.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jill For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th May 2019), Bill Ryan (12th May 2019), Bob (11th May 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Franny (28th June 2019), Iloveyou (12th May 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Ivanhoe (12th May 2019), Omi (13th May 2019), peterpam (12th May 2019), petra (13th May 2019), Wind (11th May 2019)

12. Link to Post #68
    United States Avalon Guide: Here to help

Thanks
    Thanked 15,048 times in 1,859 posts

We all are extensions of Source energy on Prime Creator's forever journey of creation and self discovery.

You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself.

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th May 2019), Bill Ryan (12th May 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Franny (28th June 2019), Iloveyou (12th May 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Jill (12th May 2019), Omi (13th May 2019), peterpam (12th May 2019), petra (13th May 2019), Wind (11th May 2019)

14. Link to Post #69
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,856 times in 764 posts

Some from ACIM

~Everything you see is the result of your thoughts. There is no exception to this fact.

~Love is not an illusion. It is a fact.

~Salvation requires the acceptance of but one thought;--you are as God created you, not what you made of yourself.

~A broken body shows the mind has not been healed.

~Those who remember always that they know nothing, and who have become willing to learn everything, will learn it.
    It is a joke to think that time can come to circumvent eternity. ~ACIM

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (12th May 2019), Bill Ryan (12th May 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Iloveyou (12th May 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Ivanhoe (29th June 2019), peterpam (12th May 2019), petra (13th May 2019), Wind (12th May 2019)

16. Link to Post #70
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,311 times in 1,107 posts

Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists.

(there's a place - inside - where this is the ultimate truth.

I'm happy to know that such a place does exist.)

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (12th May 2019), Bill Ryan (12th May 2019), Franny (28th June 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Ivanhoe (12th May 2019), Omi (13th May 2019), petra (13th May 2019), Rich (12th May 2019), Wind (12th May 2019)

18. Link to Post #71
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,972 times in 1,360 posts

Quote Posted by Omni (here)
    I can't believe no thread on this has been started(at least I couldn't find one in the 'check if already posted option'). I collect quotes It's my favorite thing to do on twitter...
    We have this in common, except, the ones I collect are more amusing than true. I really like the conspiracy quotes, especially ones with hints of sarcasm in there. I laughed at the idea of "debunked quotes" too, you should give those to me and I'll throw them in my "stupid quotes" pile (just joking of course ha ha)

I tried really hard to think of a conspiracy quote but best I come up with is this one

"Everything in the world is magic, except to the magician" - Westworld

Is it no surprise that my favorite quote is a joke? This one-liner just never stops being funny - it's about perception.

"Standing in the park, I was wondering why a frisbee looks larger the closer it gets...then it hit me" - Stewart Francis

EDIT: WARNING: I'm about to "quote" the Bible...

"There is no new thing under the sun" (adapted) - Bible

Kind of cynical but I like it, insinuates we're wasting our time (if it is true), but I still like it
    Last edited by petra; 13th May 2019 at 18:54.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (13th May 2019), Franny (28th June 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Omi (13th May 2019), Rhogar (21st August 2019)

20. Link to Post #72
    Thanks
    Thanked 268,487 times in 19,810 posts

It's sometimes not easy to do the right thing. But once the decision is made, if that is one's compass, then it's easy to walk a straight line.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

BushPilot (16th July 2019), DeDukshyn (19th July 2019), Franny (28th June 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Rosemarie (28th June 2019), Wind (29th June 2019), Yoda (29th June 2019)

22. Link to Post #73
    Ecuador Avalon Member Rosemarie's Avatar
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,256 times in 266 posts

My paternal grandfather, who died 4 years before I was born , left his kids (8) a little linen booklet called in english “ Hundred thoughts for my children “ that he wrote. Since I am the bookworm in my family , I have my father’s copy. Cannot tell you how much I treasure this book with precious advice. It is like hearing him speak to me. There are very short sayings and some quite long. I wanted to translate ( they are in spanish ) them but I spend a lot of times in the short ones and writing in my iphone is just crazy.
    Let me share a couple short ones. Hope they make sense.

1.- “ the secret of success in life is to restrain passions when we are attacked and to dropped them when we think something useful.
    2.- “ humanity does not progress faster because individual progress is stopped by collective envy.
    3.- “ the majority of the surprises that I have had in my life were always discovering the pettiness of men consecrated as great.
    4.- “thinking out loud, there is no better guide than the heart , but for issues of the heart there is no better guide than the brain.
    5.-“It is useful to reflect after a handshake “ ( he lived in a time when a handshake was enough for a business deal )

Hope this goes here ..... I might had confuse the thread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3CCF73D0-2BCC-4DFA-AE80-780DDA6A559E.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	1,005.4 KB
ID:	40961  
    Last edited by Rosemarie; 16th July 2019 at 01:00.
    "Be kind for everybody is fighting a great battle" Plato

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

Ayt (18th July 2019), Bill Ryan (28th June 2019), bojancan (19th July 2019), BushPilot (16th July 2019), Franny (23rd July 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Ivanhoe (29th June 2019), Keyholder (28th June 2019), Satori (18th July 2019)

24. Link to Post #74
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,980 times in 520 posts

Terry Pratchett

Sir Terence David John Pratchett OBE (28 April 1948 – 12 March 2015) was an English author of fantasy novels, especially comical works. He is best known for his Discworld series of 41 novels

I think this quote is rather dark and disturbing but has a lot of truth to it.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th July 2019), DeDukshyn (19th July 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Franny (23rd July 2019), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2019), Jill (23rd August 2019), Kalamos (16th July 2019)

26. Link to Post #75
    United States Avalon Member Ayt's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote "Actually, I no longer disbelieve in the Illuminati, but I don't believe in them yet, either. Let us explain that odd remark quickly, before we go any further in the murk. In researching occult conspiracies, one eventually faces a crossroad of mythic proportions (called Chapel Perilous in the trade). You come out the other side either a stone paranoid or an agnostic; there is no third way. I came out an agnostic."

Robert Anton Wilson
    I am currently reading his book "Cosmic Trigger" and grabbed this quote out of that. His term "Chapel Perilous" rather matches "The Rabbit Hole" idea, and probably other symbols for the concept.

Here is a song that somehow helped me move through my own "Castle Perilous" journey.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ayt For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (18th July 2019), Bill Ryan (26th July 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), edina (18th July 2019), Ivanhoe (19th July 2019), Rosemarie (23rd July 2019)

28. Link to Post #76
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,144 times in 6,930 posts

I used to have this as my signature, its a great reminder.

"You are not the form you animate, but the force of animation itself"
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Ayt (19th July 2019), Bill Ryan (26th July 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Jayke (24th July 2019), Rosemarie (23rd July 2019), Wind (19th July 2019)

30. Link to Post #77
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,608 times in 1,249 posts

"O, what a world of unseen visions and heard silences, this insubstantial country of the mind! What ineffable essences, these touchless rememberings and unshowable reveries! And the privacy of it all! A secret theater of speechless monologue and prevenient counsel, an invisible mansion of all moods, musings, and mysteries, an infinite resort of disappointments and discoveries. A whole kingdom where each of us reigns reclusively alone, questioning what we will, commanding what we can. A hidden hermitage where we may study out the troubled book of what we have done and yet may do. An introcosm that is more myself than anything I can find in a mirror. This consciousness that is myself of selves, that is everything, and yet is nothing at all - what is it?
    And where did it come from?
    And why?"

- - - opening paragraph of Julian Jaynes' "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Ayt (23rd July 2019), Bill Ryan (26th July 2019), Constance (23rd July 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Franny (23rd July 2019), Ivanhoe (24th July 2019), Jayke (24th July 2019), Jill (23rd August 2019)

32. Link to Post #78
    Australia Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,449 times in 1,706 posts

Quote Posted by Kryztian (here)
    "O, what a world of unseen visions and heard silences, this insubstantial country of the mind! What ineffable essences, these touchless rememberings and unshowable reveries! And the privacy of it all! A secret theater of speechless monologue and prevenient counsel, an invisible mansion of all moods, musings, and mysteries, an infinite resort of disappointments and discoveries. A whole kingdom where each of us reigns reclusively alone, questioning what we will, commanding what we can. A hidden hermitage where we may study out the troubled book of what we have done and yet may do. An introcosm that is more myself than anything I can find in a mirror. This consciousness that is myself of selves, that is everything, and yet is nothing at all - what is it?
    And where did it come from?
    And why?"

- - - opening paragraph of Julian Jaynes' "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind"
    So profound. Thank you for sharing
    Unity within the diversity

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th July 2019), Franny (26th July 2019), Jayke (24th July 2019), Kryztian (24th July 2019)

34. Link to Post #79
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,516 times in 1,292 posts

I keep this quote at the top of my journal. It's been there for a few years now and I read it every day to remember this insight.

Quote Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. Carl Jung

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (24th July 2019), Bill Ryan (26th July 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), Franny (26th July 2019), Ivanhoe (24th July 2019), Jayke (24th July 2019), Wind (25th July 2019)

36. Link to Post #80
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 times in 255 posts

From Voltaire

"History is a pack of lies we play on the dead."

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

"In real life James Bond works for S.P.E.C.T.R.E."
    --frankstien

37. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (24th July 2019), Bill Ryan (26th July 2019), drneglector (16th August 2019), edina (24th July 2019), Franny (26th July 2019), Ivanhoe (24th July 2019), Jill (23rd August 2019), Kryztian (25th July 2019), Wind (25th July 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 4 7 LastLast