+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Do we have any Vegans in the house?

1. Link to Post #1
    Great Britain Avalon Member mpod001's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Do we have any Vegans in the house?

Hey guys,

I'm hoping that some of you are vegan! I am looking for some recipe ideas and support in transitioning from vegetarian to vegan

Love to all

Martin xx

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mpod001 For This Post:

Akasha (22nd July 2014), AriG (6th July 2014), DeDukshyn (6th July 2014), Limor Wolf (7th July 2014), mab777 (6th July 2014), nenosema (29th August 2014), Omni (6th July 2014), Pris (16th July 2014), RunningDeer (7th July 2014), sirayah (17th July 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,917 times in 916 posts

Default Re: Do we have any Vegans in the house?

I would love to be vegan. I would love to be vegetarian for that matter. Unfortunately, if I were to try, I'd starve due to health issues and complete gluten/grain intolerance.

My only advice for you is to make sure you get iron and B12 into your diet somehow as well as good fats (avocados, olive oil, etc).

I envy your ability to do this. Congratulations on making a conscious choice for the betterment of the world!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AriG For This Post:

DeDukshyn (6th July 2014), mpod001 (6th July 2014), Omni (6th July 2014), Zaya (7th July 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,727 times in 7,186 posts

Two members here, Akashic and Abhaya are who you are looking for -- I think one of them may have a vegan recipe thread here somewhere ...

Being a vegan requires more careful eating than not being one, so ensure you get your nutrients for maximal success.

Good luck!
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

mpod001 (6th July 2014), Omni (6th July 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Thanks guys!

I have some nutritional yeast with added b-12 and I get loads of iron from spinach hehe! I grow a lot of my own foods and spinach is kind of taking over one of my raised beds hehe!

AriG are you celiac or something?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpod001 For This Post:

DeDukshyn (8th July 2014), Omni (6th July 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mpod001 (here)
    Thanks guys!

I have some nutritional yeast with added b-12 and I get loads of iron from spinach hehe! I grow a lot of my own foods and spinach is kind of taking over one of my raised beds hehe!

AriG are you celiac or something?
    Well, it is difficult to tell. The only way to diagnose celiac is to continue to consume grains. The only way to cure celiac is to stop eating grains... he he. I actually have HE/SREAT. Many of those with just Hashimoto's have celiac symptoms. I have a double whammy. I so miss bread!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AriG For This Post:

Omni (6th July 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Hi Mpod001,
    Im not vegan, but I cook for 30 vegans every day as I am a skilled vegetarian chef. I make veggie food for 600 people a day at the school I work for, and I have 30 vegans eating daily. So if you ever get stuck feel free to contact me with a PM for cooking advice or inspiration. Also I could help to sort out some of the buts and whys regarding meat-substitutes. Asking me for a recipe would be kind of fruitless, as all food is cooked without any real recipes, we more rely on inspiration and experience.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Metaphor For This Post:

Limor Wolf (7th July 2014), Marc Barrie (14th July 2014), MorningSong (7th July 2014), mpod001 (7th July 2014), RunningDeer (7th July 2014), yuhui (18th July 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 times in 175 posts

AriG, I sympathise with your missing bread. Have you tried making pancakes with gram (chickpea) flour? Delicious!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

AriG (7th July 2014), MorningSong (7th July 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,314 times in 3,446 posts

I am also looking for more vegan recipes. I'm not vegan... But I do like vegan eating and agree with the ideas mainly.

Quote Posted by Metaphor (here)
    ...PM for cooking advice...
    Could you say some vegan cooking advice in this thread so more people can see it? I would appreciate it. If you do not want to that is totally fine too though. Up to you.
    Last edited by Omni; 7th July 2014 at 00:16.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

MorningSong (7th July 2014), mpod001 (7th July 2014), seko (7th July 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

I make my own almond milk which is super easy! Just soak a handful of almonds overnight and drain them in the morning. Add to a blender and add about 750mls of water...blitz...strain it all through a cheese cloth and hey presto...almost free milk haha!

Metaphor - Thank you so much for your kindness it would be great if you could add a few tit bits for everyone here too x
    Last edited by mpod001; 7th July 2014 at 00:30.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpod001 For This Post:

Metaphor (7th July 2014), MorningSong (7th July 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,463 times in 587 posts

I am a vegan with celiac and Hashimoto's. What sort of recipes are you looking for? We do mostly raw foods (especially now in hot weather).
    Last edited by Elainie; 7th July 2014 at 00:52.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

AriG (7th July 2014)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,314 times in 3,446 posts

Quote Posted by ERK (here)
    I am a vegan with celiac and Hashimoto's. What sort of recipes are you looking for? We do mostly raw foods (especially now in hot weather).
    I like black beans a lot for one in some recipes. Maybe one or some with those?

22. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I've been vegan for one year and can recommend some great sites with recipes:

http://vegangela.com/2011/04/07/ever...lthy-truffles/ - My favorite site already linked to one of the tastiest healthy dessert recipes I've ever had. Everything I've tried to make from there turns out great and she has pictures of each step to whet your appetite.

http://ohsheglows.com/ - Another great site - site became so popular she put our a book which a veggie friend raves about. Many gluten free and raw recipes there as well.

I think for many the biggest obstacle is giving up milk products and eggs - you've already discovered almond milk and I would suggest trying hazelnut milk as well. There are also great substitutes you can use for eggs when baking/cooking such as banana or ground up flax seed+water depending on the type of dish.

Nutritional Yeast is my new favorite food and you can make some great cheese sauces or even vegan cheese using it. I notice you're in the UK so I can recommend Cheezly pepper jack cheese - a favorite dish of mine (when I can find the cheese here) is to throw 2 cans of black beans, 1 onion, 2-3 tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic (can use less - I love garlic) and jalapeno peppers into a pyrex dish and cover with cheese. Bake for 20 min until cheese is melted and enjoy - no other spices needed! Ommiverse, this can work for you with regular cheese as well - it was a staple comfort dish for me for years.

Another new favorite food is making popcorn, spraying with olive oil, putting copious amounts of nutritional yeast + spices - I use a spice mix with cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. A yummy spicy cheesy popcorn that beats anything I've ever had.

I hope the transition is easy for you!

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Libico For This Post:

MorningSong (7th July 2014), mpod001 (7th July 2014), Omni (16th July 2014), Pam (7th July 2014), Pris (16th July 2014), RunningDeer (7th July 2014)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

The transition can be hard for some, especially during travel. In some parts of the world being vegan will be a test.
    Some points:
    -When boiling beans/lentils etc. Never use the soak water to boil. Change water to go easy on your stomach.
    -use nuts,broccoli,spinach and parsley en masse to stay healthy.
    -Be vary of soyproducts, check its origin. Since you live in europe, go for european and 100%organic. There are great proteinboosting products nowadays made from hemp and wheatprotein. Id go for that.
    Ill get back, have to go.
    Cheers

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metaphor For This Post:

mpod001 (7th July 2014), Omni (16th July 2014), RunningDeer (7th July 2014)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

My advice would be to go for whole foods veganism and be very wary of faux meat products as well as faux cheese products (Daiya for example) as these are all highly processed foods often with gluten (bad for the gut) etc; Keep things simple. I make most if not everything from scratch including fermented nut and seed cheeses, raw coconut yogurt and kefirs, fermented veggies, juices etc; We are not big on grains or beans and as a whole the house avoids grains (since my oldest daughters tend toward inflammation and I have auto-immune) so we stick to gut healing protocols (only sugar comes from whole fruit, diet has very little legumes etc).
    A couple of things I make on a daily basis for my kids: Chia porridge for breakfast, soak chia seeds in raw almond or other nut milk , layer with a fresh fruit puree (sometimes I make a raw jam using raw fruit and dates) berries and I top it with raw coconut shreds. We do fresh raw vegetable juices daily, dinner will often consist of a raw green soup along with a raw pasta dish (always a hit with my toddler) such as zucchini pasta with various sauces or kelp pasta (again with various sauces).
    Tonight's menu is raw creamy carrot soup and Vietnamese rolls with an almond butter dipping sauce (again my kids love this dish).

There are plenty of great blogs too (above mentioned Oh She Glows is great and I have the book) I can list some other blogs later.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

mpod001 (7th July 2014), Omni (16th July 2014), RunningDeer (7th July 2014)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Last edited by Elainie; 7th July 2014 at 15:17.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (22nd July 2014), DeDukshyn (7th July 2014), mpod001 (7th July 2014), Omni (16th July 2014), RunningDeer (7th July 2014)

30. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Zaya's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 times in 308 posts

I am not a Vegan, but I am vegetarian and I make a lot of Vegan friendly recipes in the mix. Question: Do you like spices? Do you like them a lot? Cooking indian inspired dishes is one of the best ways to get your nutrients in when cutting out meat. I cook a LOT of Dal loaded with veggies. You can do Dals in the crockpot too. I am a self proclaimed crock-pot addict.
    "The only wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing." -Socrates

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Zaya For This Post:

mpod001 (7th July 2014)

32. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Omniverse (here)
    Quote Posted by ERK (here)
    I like black beans a lot for one in some recipes. Maybe one or some with those?
    Just a note for anyone with an autoimmune or inflammatory condition - dried beans can be inflammatory. Green beans, not so much. Just an fyi.

33. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,267 times in 13,269 posts

Thanks for all the tips and links! I’ve copied and getting ready to run out to the market.

UPDATE: I deleted because the protein product needs further research. See ERK's post #19.

<3
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 7th July 2014 at 19:14.

34. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Thanks for all the tips and links! I’ve copied and getting ready to run out to the market.

I’m not a vegan. I was mostly macrobiotic since the last 1980’s. I attended the “Kushi Institute,” Kiental, Switzerland, for “Lifestyle and Cooking” certification, in 1992. Today, my focus is on healthy foods and I follow my intuition. I do eat meat at my friends’ and family’s homes.

A new product came in a couple of days ago from, Garden of Life, called, “Raw Protein: Beyond Organic Protein Formula”. It’s raw, vegan, gluten free, dairy free. After reading the product reviews I purchased the unflavored rather than the vanilla.

I made a half and half drink: protein powder and a batch of my veggie juice which consisted of carrot, apple, ginger root. I tossed in almond butter and vanilla.

Garden of Life Raw Protein REVIEW
    Other protein products are mention here as well.

<3

I used to be a macrobiotic teacher myself. In fact my ex husband used to teach in Kiental.

Yes AriG- this is why we don't eat legumes. I have made lentils a few times in the past few years but they are just too *rough* for us. My two older daughters grew up on a macrobiotic diet and I think they and I became super sensitive to grains and beans which is why we avoid them. They create inflammation for us. IMO the success of a plant based diet comes down to gut bacteria and genetics (I'm of the genetic type that thrives on plant based) and many people will have to make adjustments/do some gut protocols in order to assimilate plant fibre.

Also be careful with certain plant proteins. Some are contaminated with heavy metals.

http://www.naturalnews.com/043759_ga...vy_metals.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/045108_ve...t_results.html
    Last edited by Elainie; 7th July 2014 at 16:04.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (22nd July 2014), Omni (16th July 2014), RunningDeer (7th July 2014)

36. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,267 times in 13,269 posts

Thanks for these links, ERK! I was about to order more.

Quote I used to be a macrobiotic teacher myself. In fact my ex husband used to teach in Kiental.
    Small world. The outward bound & Shiatsu certification was part of the program.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 7th July 2014 at 19:38.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Omni (16th July 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast