+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spiritual View of Sleep Paralysis and other aspects

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,548 times in 833 posts

Default Spiritual View of Sleep Paralysis and other aspects

Hi everyone

Are you, like me, the less than 20% of people who experience sleep paralysis? How do you cope with these experiences, what are your beliefs about them, and are you able to share with family and friends and get unconditional support?

The first time I experienced sleep paralysis, I was 19. The last time I remember experiencing this, I was 24. However, I often find myself jerking awake as I am falling asleep and I wonder if this is not a subconscious mechanism I have developed to stop these terrifying experiences from happening.

I have been thinking about these experiences because I found a very interesting interview with David J Hufford. Here's part 1 of the 10-part interview:

I never saw anything. My experiences happened as I was falling asleep, and when I woke up to that presence in the room, I was paralysed, so I could not open my eyes (I also chose to not try to as I was too terrified to see what was there). I was always lying on my right side when these experiences happened, and the presence was behind me. I never heard anything. I never felt anything other than that there was a menacing, terrifying presence behind me that was evil, there to do me harm and projected darkness and heat (the presence did not touch me but I felt the emanations of darkness, heat and evil). I was lucky in that the first time it happened, the idea came to me that I must move, so I focused my will on moving a finger. It took forever and was so much effort, but once I could get a finger to move, I would snap out of the paralysis.

I did tell my friends about that first experience, and I was mocked in such a horrible way that I retreated into silence, at all levels, for many years. It was only when I found Project Avalon that I found people who are open-minded, sympathetic, interested, informed and respectful.

According to this Wikipedia article, my experiences are because of Narcolepsy. Huh? I'll have to do more research!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Simply physiology (some kind of malfunction in the brain) as per science, alien abduction, demon possession, psychological disturbances, some kind of inter-dimensional spiritual experience? I don't subscribe to a one-sided belief about these experiences. I am trying to understand a more holistic, multi-perspective view. I found this interview with Hufford very informative and interesting because he does seem to be open-minded.

Most people see some kind of entities during these experiences. How do you see if your eyes are closed and you have sleep paralysis? If you do open your eyes, then you break the paralysis. Is this some kind of third-eye seeing (I can sort of see with my eyes closed so I do accept that a human being can see when the eyes are closed.)?

One thing I note about my experience is that logical/analytical thinking stepped in very quickly for me and got me out of the experience, not by rejecting what I was experiencing, or rationalising it, but by choosing my reaction to it (being able to move is the most important thing you can do to protect yourself). I can, in dreams, meditation ... experience something and be an analytical observer of me experiencing. I'm not sure if I am making sense, but I can be both the person experiencing something and also be the person observing myself having the experience. There is even a third me that anaylses and chooses a reaction to the experience. Alas, it is during dreams and so on that I can be all three versions of me and so I have not found it useful in my daily life! It is very useful when I have a nightmare or get into some kind of trouble in a dream!

If anyone has had or does have these experiences, I would be interested in reading about what happened or happens to you, your beliefs about these experiences and what coping mechanisms you have developed (and if you have ever spoken about them and received very negative and negating feedback).

Hugs!
    Sandie
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. (Carl Sagan)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Aurvandil (8th July 2014), DarMar (8th July 2014), ghostrider (8th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), raregem (9th July 2014), thepainterdoug (8th July 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Spiritual View of Sleep Paralysis and other aspects

Another view of sleep paralysis ... OBE?

Sandie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

ghostrider (8th July 2014), raregem (9th July 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

I've heard I said sleep paralysis is so we don't act out our dreams ... I think it's a required first step to have an OBE ... freeze the body , now only the spiritual body can move ... we are containers of creational energy ... Death proves we weren't meant to remain in a material body for ever ... we must return to creation , out in the cosmos ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Axman (10th July 2014), Gardener (10th July 2014), Jake (8th July 2014), raregem (9th July 2014), sdv (8th July 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Hi sdv.

I believe sleep paralysis and fear of an unknow presence during sleep paralysis are really different experiences, although they frequently occur together and people end taking this fear as another symptom of sleep paralysis. I experience both since I was 12 years old, or so, until today. My experiences led me to believe something is tampering with my experiences, one of which I relate here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...931#post722931

But off course I can be wrong and this can be just a subconscious manifestation of my personal fears. Who really knows?

About seeing during these events: I too don't see in the usual sense of the word 'see'. I get some feelings and them seem like images in my head. This happens very fast, so I have impression of motion. I believe people can 'see' in a more familiar sense once they really are out of their bodys, what I don't think is the case during sleep paralysis.

How I stop my sleep paralysis? When I was younger I somewhat got that by strongly willing to wake up. It wasn't exactly easy but worked a fair amount of times. But this stopped to work 'properly' to me in the last years. When this fail I feel as choking and have the impression that the sleep paralysis I'm in wasn't started by myself. These are the worst, because you do feel very fragile in such situations.

I don't speak about these things outside PA, for people usually mock about what they don't understand or just change the subject. But I'm not really that kind of person who asks for another's opinion very frequently and it is important to point this here. Even so, I was advised here to not fear anything during sleep paralysis and I most agree to this advice. Fear isn't a constructive feeling and just rob us of what can be a door to a more complete understanding of the human nature. I'm working on this now, hoping to succeed soon.

My best wishes to you.
    One cannot live apart from its true nature. It can fake its own existence, by choice or ignorance, and yet it will never be able to negate who it actually is.
    -- myself

"If you name me, you negate me. By giving me a name, a label, you negate all the other things I could possibly be."
    -- Søren Kierkegaard

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoNeedForAName For This Post:

Bongo (8th July 2014), Gardener (10th July 2014), Jake (8th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), sdv (8th July 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by NoNeedForAName (here)
    My experiences led me to believe something is tampering with my experiences
    You are right on the money, something is tampering with your experiences. I used to get sleep paralysis also, it was usually a dark figure standing over me.

I got rid of it by using a healing modality called Holographic Kinetics. I can only give my word over the internet as to how powerful this healing modality is, it has helped me immensely with various other issues in my life. It truly is life changing.

Here is an excellent interview with Steve Richards the creator of Holographic Kinetics by 2 members of Avalon.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...aphic-Kinetics

Although no doubt people will jump on me again for saying that sleep paralysis is due to something messing with you like the last time I mentioned it. Listen to the interview and use your own discernment and if you choose to use it, it will absolutely help you get rid of sleep paralysis.

Here is the original Holographic Kinetics thread on Avalon as well
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...aphic+kinetics
    Last edited by Bongo; 8th July 2014 at 18:09.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bongo For This Post:

Jake (8th July 2014), NoNeedForAName (8th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), sdv (8th July 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,237 times in 3,167 posts

i would get this from time to time. the first things was a cold sweat and awareness that i was awake but not able to move. i would either hear or feel an evil presence coming up the stairs or near by. but the most powerful episode was when i felt a dark cold and ugly creature directly behind me in bed. i remembering telling it to **** off and i got the nerve to look over my shoulder. i don't know how i moved but i willed myself to look. i saw it, dark gray charcoal wet death. in fact there is an e t photo on the web that it looked like. then somehow it just left.
    ever since, i have changed my view and want to invite it back. I'm no longer afraid. id like to explore what this is?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Gardener (10th July 2014), Jake (8th July 2014), NoNeedForAName (8th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), sdv (8th July 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Sleep paralysis is the bodies way of protecting itself from acting out your dreams.... We can't just thrash around and cause injury or death... I have been dealing with it my whole life, even had sleep studies done at the best sleep disorders facility at the time...

When one tends to move about during REM sleep (The stage of sleep where muscle tone drops and Sleep Paralysis sets in) the diagnosis is REM Sleep Behavior Disorder. When one is able to remain awake and alert during these episodes,, it becomes a platform for a great many trance states that naturally occur between wake and sleep. Many of the sensory discharges will be just that,,, energetic discharges.. Some will be Hypnopompic or Hypnogogic hallucinations... Hallucinations can be seen heard felt tasted,,, etc...

I don't think that any ONES experiences will trump anothers. There is technology that can induce the mind to drop muscle tone and become paralyzed... it is basically triggering the bodies natural paralysis.

Once muscle tone drops, and paralysis sets in,, there can be strong energetic sensations, vibrations, humming, buzzing, pulsing,, etc... All of these things are a precursor to OBE...

Google Dweller on the Threshold and you will find information going back into history regarding a menacing person who is suddenly 'there' during episodes of sleep paralysis... I believe that this state is definately manipulated to control us. By Technology, and by advanced sentients who do not share our values and/or philosophies...

Whatever healing modality that works for you,, great... I can say that the best one is to push you fears down into your 'solar center' and face the man standing there... If another way works for you,, that is awesome. No ONE persons experience with trump anothers....

Sleep paralysis happens to each and every one of us, when we sleep... It is more of a matter of remaining awake and aware during the process. The energetic states that will follow,, allow for a perfectly natural out of body experience. (and more)

Jake.
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Gardener (10th July 2014), NoNeedForAName (8th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), sdv (8th July 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Loony (here)
    Listen to the interview and use your own discernment and if you choose to use it, it will absolutely help you get rid of sleep paralysis.
    Thank you Loony to point me this. I'm fine with the sleep paralysis sensations. As Jake explained above, they must be natural. Except for the fear that very often is there... That I should get rid of.

Steve Richards' accent is, to me, a bit tough to understand but I'll do my best. Good to know it worked to you.
    One cannot live apart from its true nature. It can fake its own existence, by choice or ignorance, and yet it will never be able to negate who it actually is.
    -- myself

"If you name me, you negate me. By giving me a name, a label, you negate all the other things I could possibly be."
    -- Søren Kierkegaard

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoNeedForAName For This Post:

Jake (9th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), sdv (9th July 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jake (here)
    Whatever healing modality that works for you,, great... I can say that the best one is to push you fears down into your 'solar center' and face the man standing there... If another way works for you,, that is awesome.
    Well in saying that what stuff discussed in this forum has actually worked in getting rid of the manipulated sleep paralysis, where other being(s) are messing with you?

There are many things discussed on this forum but an effective solution to that problem doesn't seem to surface as the ones trying different things end up getting the manipulated sleep paralysis again after what they tried. Now even if I had got rid of the sleep paralysis that would only have been treating a symptom rather than the actual problem which was lifetime after lifetime of trauma.

One of the main trauma points brought up was actually identical to the Brazilian UFO case where their military actually investigated it. This was hundreds of years ago and I was only 14 years old, I had been put in a small town community where other abductees were there also. We had be deliberately put together so it would be easy to come get us when needed. One night on comes a big light above the town, people start to panic, then comes the loud sound of machinery at this point everyone is panicking and running around fearing for their lives. Next the deployed machines that came from the ship come down to pick up the abductees, when in proximity with said abductee the machine then gives of a noise that puts them offline, hits the off switch so to speak so when the body goes limp the machine then grabs them and takes them up to the ship. The next part is the trauma point, to make sure the beings implants (non physical) were working correctly on the abductee they then proceeded to do a live autopsy on all the ones they took. That is what made me give up the rights to myself, I agreed to let them control me which was a valid agreement through time regardless of the live autopsy. Them messing with me with sleep paralysis was only one of many things they used to do. During the HK session these beings really didn't want to let go of the agreement I made with them but due to it being dealt with right, I am now free from their control and free from manipulated sleep paralysis.

Due to them not wanting to let the agreement I made with them go they would have used every trick in the book to misdirect and manipulate me into not breaking that agreement if I had tried to face them myself, although I have no clue how I could have faced them. Since I am experiencing this life as mind and not spirit I have no memory of this agreement so these beings could easily have just waited till I died without me discovering the agreement so that I couldn't have broken it and ended up still controlled by them.

Do you know of any way that we can find out about past life agreements that are still valid? because just coming from a completely fear free place and saying to yourself break all agreements really doesn't work, trust me I tried. Even if you could face them doing so without knowledge of how to play the game thats being played against us by them is asking for trouble.

The dianetics way is not one I have tried but there is still some inconsistencies to me that I am not sure if it would be able to really take care of the problem completely. That is why I used Holographic Kinetics. It is a no frills, no bull **** solution that works 100%, this is why I recommend it.

I really see this as being my last post on the subject, the only real reason I mention this is because it works and I don't want people to get trapped like I was. People wander around aimlessly looking for answers and its right under their nose... I suppose people will only see it when they are ready.

No ill will intended towards anyone.

I go in peace I hope all who read this do to
    Last edited by Bongo; 8th July 2014 at 22:05.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bongo For This Post:

Jake (9th July 2014), NoNeedForAName (8th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), Reinhard (9th July 2014), sdv (9th July 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hello sdv yes I have had many sleep paralysis and it is very frightening, but just like you said I focused totally on moving just one finger which felt like an eternity but finally it would subside and I always get up and wait for awhile before trying to sleep, here is something else I would like to add, I could leave my body at will more so in growing up, it was fantastic and I could just think of a place and I was there in an instant, however I had many experiences that were sometime wonderful, and also some not so wonderful. but it would take a long time to explain and for fear of sounding off the wall I don't know if this is the right time to tell everyone. but believe me I do have much to say on this subject, as I have lived with this since childhood.and met very interesting characters. and also some not so interesting, but scary. but all in all I believe its not entirely a bad thing as you do learn things which lead you to want to share andfind others going through the same thing, all with different stories and some similar. so that is as much I can say at this time. I am sure many people if not all do this and have little or no memory about their journeys.so I hope we can talk again another time. gardener 2 x

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gardener2 For This Post:

Jake (9th July 2014), NoNeedForAName (9th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), Reinhard (9th July 2014), sdv (9th July 2014)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,424 times in 839 posts

I've had four sleep paralysis episodes quite a few years ago. The first one scared the crap out of me.

{Let me say this here since sdv brought it up. Up until now, I always thought my eyes were open and I was "seeing" what was happening. Now, as I think back, I have to wonder if my eyes really were open or not. Perhaps I was seeing in some other fashion than with my physical eyes. Now I don't know? Hmmmm}

Anyway, the first time it happened, I awoke and saw a stranger standing at the foot of my bed. Well, being paralyzed and helpless seeing someone in my bedroom, I was quite scared. Then the figure moved over to stand beside my bed near my head, but I could no longer see him because I couldn't move. I kept trying to say "Who are you" but the words wouldn't come out. (obviously). At some point I ended up involuntarily closing my eyes and that was it.

The second time only lasted maybe four or five seconds. Once again I saw that same ghostly figure of a man. But my eyes closed and it was back to dreamland for me.

The third and fourth time it happened, I would awaken, realize what was going on, and then just say to myself, "Oh, it's this again. Ehhhhh. Just close your eyes and go back to sleep". I haven't had any episodes since then.
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Gardener (10th July 2014), NoNeedForAName (9th July 2014), sdv (9th July 2014)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,393 times in 3,448 posts

Haven't read all posts in the thread yet so I apologize if something I say has already been said...

I have experienced paralysis and body control via the US government(while awake and it is overt). Sleep Paralysis may very well be natural in ways as well. But I do know for sure it can be achieved via technology. Just to connect one dot.

The NLP of sleep paralysis is immediate skepticism in science for anything paranormal. So it is used as a tactic in some of the more shady happenings on earth(like abduction or something in the similar set of programs), ..

Not to give anyone fear. No reason to fear really I do not relate to that energy..

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Omni For This Post:

sdv (9th July 2014)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Omniverse (here)
    Haven't read all posts in the thread yet so I apologize if something I say has already been said...

I have experienced paralysis and body control via the US government(while awake and it is overt). Sleep Paralysis may very well be natural in ways as well. But I do know for sure it can be achieved via technology. Just to connect one dot.

The NLP of sleep paralysis is immediate skepticism in science for anything paranormal. So it is used as a tactic in some of the more shady happenings on earth(like abduction or something in the similar set of programs), ..

Not to give anyone fear. No reason to fear really I do not relate to that energy..
    Thanks Omniverse for adding another perspective to this phenomenon. If I have understood you correctly, then these experiences can be induced for manipulation, control, brainwashing, and so on.

Interestingly, every time I have had the experience, I have been living in some kind of communal set up (a residence at university, a house I shared with 7 others as a young teacher, travelling on a train ...). It might be significant or it may be coincidental that I learnt to stop these experiences at a time when I started to live alone for the first time.

I have come to believe that to understand my own experiences, I have to go beyond my own beliefs and memories and embrace the experiences and beliefs of others. I am delighted that I am gaining information by what people are sharing with me on this thread.
    Sandie

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdv For This Post:

gardener2 (9th July 2014), Jake (9th July 2014)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Orph (here)
    I've had four sleep paralysis episodes quite a few years ago. The first one scared the crap out of me.

{Let me say this here since sdv brought it up. Up until now, I always thought my eyes were open and I was "seeing" what was happening. Now, as I think back, I have to wonder if my eyes really were open or not. Perhaps I was seeing in some other fashion than with my physical eyes. Now I don't know? Hmmmm}

Anyway, the first time it happened, I awoke and saw a stranger standing at the foot of my bed. Well, being paralyzed and helpless seeing someone in my bedroom, I was quite scared. Then the figure moved over to stand beside my bed near my head, but I could no longer see him because I couldn't move. I kept trying to say "Who are you" but the words wouldn't come out. (obviously). At some point I ended up involuntarily closing my eyes and that was it.

The second time only lasted maybe four or five seconds. Once again I saw that same ghostly figure of a man. But my eyes closed and it was back to dreamland for me.

The third and fourth time it happened, I would awaken, realize what was going on, and then just say to myself, "Oh, it's this again. Ehhhhh. Just close your eyes and go back to sleep". I haven't had any episodes since then.
    Eyes could be open. The paralysis could activate after you open your eyes. Then closing your eyes snaps you out of the paralysis or returns you to normal sleep. Or, the seeing could be the third eye kind of seeing for some people.

It must be terrifying to see an entity during these experiences.
    Sandie

28. The Following User Says Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Jake (9th July 2014)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by gardener2 (here)
    Hello sdv yes I have had many sleep paralysis and it is very frightening, but just like you said I focused totally on moving just one finger which felt like an eternity but finally it would subside and I always get up and wait for awhile before trying to sleep, here is something else I would like to add, I could leave my body at will more so in growing up, it was fantastic and I could just think of a place and I was there in an instant, however I had many experiences that were sometime wonderful, and also some not so wonderful. but it would take a long time to explain and for fear of sounding off the wall I don't know if this is the right time to tell everyone. but believe me I do have much to say on this subject, as I have lived with this since childhood.and met very interesting characters. and also some not so interesting, but scary. but all in all I believe its not entirely a bad thing as you do learn things which lead you to want to share andfind others going through the same thing, all with different stories and some similar. so that is as much I can say at this time. I am sure many people if not all do this and have little or no memory about their journeys.so I hope we can talk again another time. gardener 2 x
    One aspect of sleep paralysis is that it could be an OBE experience ... our spirit leaves our body and wanders into the spiritual realm.

I hope that you will share more about your OBE experiences.
    Sandie

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sdv For This Post:

Jake (9th July 2014)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Quote Posted by sdv (here)
    Quote Posted by Orph (here)

Eyes could be open. The paralysis could activate after you open your eyes. Then closing your eyes snaps you out of the paralysis or returns you to normal sleep. Or, the seeing could be the third eye kind of seeing for some people.

It must be terrifying to see an entity during these experiences.
    Oh, the nights I've wondered this question... Once muscle tone drops, and paralysis sets in,, the only eye movement that occurs is R.E.M. You are literally looking through your closed eyelids!! It may be difficult to accept, but it is true. The paralysis mechanism is full body, and does not allow for consciously controlled movement of any kind. (though, i watched my hand reach up and scratch my nose once,,, involuntary movements may bypass the paralysis) You can move your looking around, even parts of your 'astral body',, and it may seem like you are actually moving, but you are not. One could say the the 'separation' has already occurred... It is the fear that is keeping you laying there... Thus, the shadowy, cloaked man with the glowing red eyes!!! This bastard is keeping us down!! Literally!!! There are different schools of thought regarding the 'dweller'... He 'dwells' on the 'threshold' between the physical and non-physical, and quite clever at manipulating fear. He can cause great burning fear... But the fear is our own... Conquer your fears and you will conquer the Dweller.

Also, the Dweller does not mess with everybody.. Many projectors have never had to deal with it,, so don't go into it EXPECTING it... noooooo...

It is our own fears that are keeping us from becoming 'whole' again. A metaphor that applies in the physical world, as well as the non-physical. As above, so below...

Love to all
    Jake.
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Gardener (10th July 2014), NoNeedForAName (9th July 2014), Orph (9th July 2014), Sebastion (10th July 2014)

+ Reply to Thread