+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best crop??

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Question Best crop??

I have an allotment at the back of my house. Last year I tried to grow a few things but it all got a bit out of hand. This year I will try to grow a little assortment of things but would like one main crop one that doesn't need much to look after.

The people that predicted a horrible wet summer last year are predicting a hot dry one for this year so I will need something that doesn't need much water.

Any ideas???
    Swanny is the waskly wabbit.
    Temet Nosce
    Don't worry.....Be happy 44

2. Link to Post #2
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Default Re: Best crop??

Cactus?! I hear they are good source of water too!

3. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

It's England, right? It always rains love. Pick seeds that you would like to eat.

Love,

Kriya
    NEVER MIND HIS SILENCE~REMEMBER HE IS LISTENING

4. Link to Post #4
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Not a bad idea after all!

Tomatillo-and-Cactus Soup
    Ingredients
    • 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas, divided
    • Cooking spray
    • 1 pound tomatillos (about 16 medium)
    • 1 cup nopalitos (about 3 chopped nopales - cactus paddles)
    • 1/4 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 (15.75-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    • 5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
    • Cilantro sprigs (optional)

Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375°.

Cut 1 corn tortilla into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes or until browned.

Discard husks and stems from the tomatillos. Cook whole tomatillos and nopalitos in boiling water 10 minutes or until tender; drain.

Heat a medium saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Cut 3 corn tortillas into 4 wedges each. Place tortilla wedges, the tomatillos, nopalitos, onion mixture, honey, ground cumin, salt, and broth in a blender; process until smooth.

Place mixture in pan, and cook over low heat 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Spoon 1 cup soup into each of 5 bowls. Divide the baked tortilla strips evenly over each serving. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:110 (7% from fat)
    Fat:0.9g (sat 0.1g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein:5.2g
    Carbohydrate:21.2g
    Fiber:2.8g
    Cholesterol:0.0mg
    Iron:1.1mg
    Sodium:371mg
    Calcium:122mg

5. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Yea sorry I'm in England.
    Sort of a good idea Gita. Something that doesn't look nice to eat would be good incase things get really bad.
    If people get in the garden and see stuff that doesn't look edible they will leave it alone.
    Temet Nosce

6. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 times in 601 posts

Well I was going to say cactus, but Gita beat me to it, so how about Cherry Tomatoes - just give them a good start and they don't need much water.
    ~ If nothing changes then nothing changes ~

7. Link to Post #7
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Swanny, when I was younger, we used to have an indoor garden as well with a miniature waterfall. You obviously need the right lighting but it could be food for thought!

8. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

My tomatoes didn't do well last year. They got blight
    Here is my allotment

Temet Nosce

9. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Leafy greens are easy and fast to grow. Spinach, red or green leaf lettuce are crops that can be picked and eaten as they grow. Beets seem to always work out for me also.

I usually grow my tomatoes now in big pots. Leaves more room in the garden for leafy greens, and beans. Tomatoes take up quite a bit of space, and they do attract the dreaded "tomato worm" if grown in bunches. This also allows me to give the tomato plants "extra food" and water, so the tomatoes come out real sweet.

For a tasty and good for you treat, mix 1 tablespoons lemon juice, with 3 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste) together and pour over fresh leafy greens. Perks them right up and gives a kick to the taste buds. Of course you can get fancy and add some fresh crushed garlic to it also. This dressing is also very good on dandelion greens.

I find the best crop is the one that you will eat. I have planted many crops for their benefits, but could not utilize them properly, so have gone back to the tried and true ones, at least I know they will not be wasted.

love & light
    Last edited by rosie; 5th April 2010 at 19:20. Reason: wrong amounts for ingredients for dressing, fixed now
    The states of awareness we currently perceive are only a thiny fraction of the whole.
    The continuum extends deep into nonphysical areas of the universe far beyond our current physical comprehension ~ William Buhlman

10. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 times in 601 posts

You could grow all kinds of things back there. Have you ever tried potatoes? Watermelon , cantaloupe, squash, sweet corn???
    ~ If nothing changes then nothing changes ~

11. Link to Post #11
    Deactivated
    Thanks

It'll be heck of a job protecting the allotment especially when hungry people are desperate for food! Electric fencing comes to mind with a spare generator!

12. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Hey Swanny lucky you I only have a patio but that is ok too I changed the country for the sea that I love. If you are worried about water you can always get a water butt, you can make like a big funnel and it will harvest water from each rain. What grows well and easy is broad beans, peas, french beans, strawberries (these lasts several seasons) gooseberries, herbs, spinach, potatoes, jerusalem artichokes if you like them but be aware that they are weeds so they have to be contained.

Good harvest

Love

13. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Hey Swanny.

I wanted to start a thread just like yours today :-)
    I'm in a process in building a small garden myself. Watch videos on permaculture and maybe gonna go to a seminar later this month.
    First thing you have to add is flower that atract good insects. Diversify with every crop.
    Last week I prepared two raised beds and a compost.
    As far as growing anything, don't know what exactly to grow yet, sure some herbs, potatoes, tomatos, lots of flowers, beans, cucambers, sunflowers, grapes, blackberries, rasberries, strawberries, celery, garlic, carrots, parsnip, onions, maybe some teas.

I have a flat piece of land, what I will do for irrigation is big plastic barrels raised above beds, some hoses and gravity will do the rest
    I'm open to any suggestions.
    Later I'll post some vids on permaculture.

gibonos
    He who panics first, panics best.

14. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Here are some suggestions as to what to grow with certain plants to help the growing process.

Ø Peppermint repels ants, white cabbage moths, aphids, and flea beetles.

Ø Garlic discourages aphids, fleas, Japanese beetles, and spider mites.

Ø Perennial Chives repel aphids and spider mites.

o Chives are often planted among roses to keep aphids away and to resist the disease, Blackspot.

Ø Basil drives away flies and mosquitoes.

Ø Borage deters that monster of vegetable garden insects, the tomato hornworm.

Ø Rosemary and Sage repel cabbage moths, bean beetles, and carrot flies.

Ø Annual Marigolds can be used anywhere to deter Mexican bean beetles, squash bugs, thrips, tomato hornworms, and whiteflies. They are also known to repel harmful root knot nematodes (soil dwelling microscopic white worms) that attack tomatoes, potatoes, roses, and strawberries. The root of the Marigold produces a chemical that kills nematodes as they enter the soil. If a whole area is infested, at the end of the season, turn the Marigolds under so the roots will decay in the soil. You can safely plant there again the following spring.

Link to more growing tips, what to plant as companion plants etc. This site is about aquaponic gardening, but has the best advice that I have found.

More info here:
    http://toadstoolponds.wordpress.com/...etable-garden/

Peppermint really does deter ants. I use peppermint oil as a natural deterrent around window frames and door frames to keep them out, plus the peppermint smell itself is very soothing.
    love & light and happy gardening!
    The states of awareness we currently perceive are only a thiny fraction of the whole.
    The continuum extends deep into nonphysical areas of the universe far beyond our current physical comprehension ~ William Buhlman

15. Link to Post #15
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gita (here)
    It'll be heck of a job protecting the allotment especially when hungry people are desperate for food!
    I do not think it is possible to protect food from hungry mobs unless you live in a well fortified place. And that is not just an electric fence but tall walls, guns, and plenty of people to help you. Also, maybe it is just me, but I could not be eating my food while people is starving to death around me. If we are going to survive to a catastrophic scenario I think we must cooperate with the people around us, as we humans have been doing for thousands of years.

In this situation that means helping them with their crops.

16. Link to Post #16
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wood (here)
    I do not think it is possible to protect food from hungry mobs unless you live in a well fortified place. And that is not just an electric fence but tall walls, guns, and plenty of people to help you. Also, maybe it is just me, but I could not be eating my food while people is starving to death around me. If we are going to survive to a catastrophic scenario I think we must cooperate with the people around us, as we humans have been doing for thousands of years.

In this situation that means helping them with their crops.
    Totally agree Wood. It was said in humour that Swanny would've got - shouldn't expect others to though - sorry. From what I understand, the allotment would only be short term anyway as Swanny's not planning to stay put.

17. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 times in 370 posts

rots are good

18. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice
    I did grow loads of potatoes, peas, carrots, turnips, beetroot as ell as raspberries, strawberries, black currents and gooseberries. Managed to eat some but the rest just stayed in the ground and rotted
    Temet Nosce

19. Link to Post #19
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gita (here)
    Totally agree Wood. It was said in humour that Swanny would've got - shouldn't expect others to though - sorry. From what I understand, the allotment would only be short term anyway as Swanny's not planning to stay put.
    I have read your post again and now it seems obvious I bet a big percentage of our problems come from simple misunderstandings due to quick reading and lack of context. I have to remind myself to read 10 times and post one, if any at all.

20. Link to Post #20
    Language
    Music
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 times in 423 posts

Thought u would go with the the weed since its good for your brain cells plus I dont think wabbits like it.

Axman
    So what we cant see means little to some souls on this planet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast