+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Illusion of Meditation

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,006 times in 1,797 posts

Default Re: Illusion of Meditation

INTENTION (solid one, based on awarness)
    positive of course
    in everything
    love to all

2. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,920 times in 1,827 posts

There's the obvious criticism of the man in the video -- that he's using everyday materialistic concepts to try to describe meditation, which just happens to be the very thing that such concepts most totally fail to have any relevance to. There is in fact no such thing as a "world out there", for instance. Meditation involves entering eventually into a perception of fuller truth, through direct experience, where one directly experiences truths such as this. Today, most philosophers and sociologists agree that it's simply a fact that there's no "world out there". But they've established this through pure reason. Unfortunately, the man in the video seems to be quite ignorant of this, and, more generally, that his "scientific" view of the world is very narrow, and can't validly be applied universally to all phenomena. It's a huge insult to ancient gnosticism, too.

But then there's also the criticism that he seems to lack an appreciation of the broader context of where meditation sits, and what its purpose is within that broader context. For instance, meditation isn't something that you practice as your only "spiritual" act. That would be very similar to going to church on Sundays and being an SOB the rest of the week. Meditation can't be understood if it's separated from a total way of life of "spirituality".

Not everyone is suited to practice meditation. There are other paths that will lead one to the same goal in the end. These include the path of love and the path of work. Most of us today are intensively engaged in both of these. Also, most or all of us at Avalon are engaged to some degree in the path of knowledge and self-knowing, which is again a different way. Ideally -- but only for those who can combine all of these -- an integration of all of these, including meditation, works best, as far as I can see. Such an integration has worked best for me, and I've had to learn that the hard way.

For work to be a valid "path", though, it has to be done without any desire for public recognition, beyond serving others or unselfishly influencing others in a helpful way. That's the only work that spiritually purifies. Ambition, as generally conceived in our culture, is of no benefit here, not as long as it's some type of greed for something. I'm not saying, though, don't expect to get paid well if you produce quality work, either.
    It's the spirit and the consciousness in which it's done that makes an action "spiritual". It's not the action itself. But as I understand it, the man in the video claims to argue that the spirit and consciousness with which one acts -- at least when in any way related to meditation -- is some kind of illusion, based on some kind of emotional attachment.
    Last edited by TraineeHuman; 27th July 2014 at 04:49.
    Above all, always refuse to cut your life in two: nonduality/duality, matter/Spirit, etc
    A mind which is not crippled by memory has real freedom. ~ J. Krishnamurti
    (True, deep) stillness is the way.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TraineeHuman For This Post:

annacherie (29th July 2014), Delight (27th July 2014), Highwhistler (27th July 2014), joeecho (11th August 2014), Marin (27th July 2014), Rich (27th July 2014), Wind (27th July 2014)

4. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member Highwhistler's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A meditator's story

A meditator's story

I fell in true love with the Quiet Center of Stillness more than 30 years ago. For 10 years before that, I did classic meditation and a lot of it. But when I truly fell in love with the stillness of the Universe my spiritual history went supernova.

In a quiet explosion of love, I retired from traditional spiritual life. I literally threw out everything that I had previously acquired and learned about spiritual paths: I tossed away my knowledge about how to meditate, all the conceptions passed along to me about what is true and what is not. I gave up all gurus, spiritual teachers, their books, their workshops, their initiations, their guidance, their devoted followers. I threw away all habits I had acquired, the little sacred objects collected, meditation cushions, the sayings, suggestions, high and holy quotes, all the rules, the meditation postures, the promises, stories and ideas — I got rid of them all
    — physically, emotionally, mentally & spiritually.

I started over from scratch. I started at the very Beginning.

And why did I do this? I could not help myself.

I could not help myself for my love for stillness called me to its home.

Most importantly ... I finally wanted to go.

To make the journey I had to travel light. I could not bring a thing.

And so, all that was left was the ability to focus my attention ... and of course, love. My destination — The Quiet Center of Stillness, within.

Success in reaching the journey’s end seemed impossible, for what power does a single focus of let-go loving attention have when gazing across the infinite fields of the inner pulsating collective psychic cosmos? But onward I went into the very center of the swirling universe of consciousness and space, leaving behind the driving storms of memory, imagination, thoughts, cares and worries.

The logical mind tried to pull me back, for once I reached peaceful inner skies it whispered "Nothing is here and the trip is over!"

But I told the mind “Come with me ... let's go exploring.” Soon it became spellbound with our mysterious journey, and it followed my heart in graceful silent wonder.

With the mind now still, I continued on my way ...

Floating effortlessly, I became a bit bewildered as I pondered where to go and what to do?

Then quite naturally ... out of nowhere ... a guidance system appeared. It emerged from the depths of inner chaos that love had transformed into silence, and I intuitively realized that this guidance system had been within me all along. Now with my Energetic Heart as the navigator, I knew that it was possible to complete the journey to personal spiritual wholeness.

With great appreciation for psychic gentleness, slowing down and calming down ... I closed my inner eyes ... and in stillness, rather than just observing it ... I became it.

Inner Light & the Energetic Heart by Highwhistler of The Soul Connection Network
    Last edited by Highwhistler; 28th July 2014 at 00:32.
    In this universe of essence, mystery and love, I, Transforming Heart, am another you.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Highwhistler For This Post:

Agape (27th July 2014), blotter (27th July 2014), Delight (28th July 2014), Flash (28th July 2014), joeecho (11th August 2014), Mac (28th July 2014), Marin (29th July 2014), Rich (27th July 2014), TraineeHuman (27th July 2014), Wind (27th July 2014)

6. Link to Post #44
    Thanks

Default A single Grand Presence

Meditation can be a bummer ...
    as described by the dude in that 2 hour video.
    The points of view he describes are certainly
    valid and real for him! ... and for all who are on
    similar logical-psychic-emotional-spiritual levels.

But, his POV is not written in stone
    and it is not true for one and all.

There are multiple, simultaneous
    realities and truths that are equally valid.

For instance: I invite you to
    wrap your heart & head around this
    realization that nourishes
    millions of meditators
    all around the world:

A single Grand Presence

I am grateful your Presence
    floats with mine
    in oceans of quantum bliss

I wonder if this Presence
    that all experience
    is everywhere throughout Creation?

Are our silent identities a part
    of a single Presence
    pervading the Cosmos?

Yes.
    Countless the beings
    on trillions of worlds
    meditate in silent splendor,
    lovingly contemplating the truth
    that Individual Presences,
    like yours, mine, everyone's!
    ... the Presence in an atom, a stream, a star ...
    are offspring of, and part of,
    a single Grand Presence
    that is everywhere

Poem and visionary art by Highwistler of
    The Soul Connection Network

Last edited by Highwhistler; 29th July 2014 at 10:13.
    In this universe of essence, mystery and love, I, Transforming Heart, am another you.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Highwhistler For This Post:

blotter (28th July 2014), Delight (28th July 2014), Flash (28th July 2014), joeecho (11th August 2014), Mac (28th July 2014), Marin (29th July 2014), Sunny-side-up (29th July 2014), TraineeHuman (28th July 2014), Wind (28th July 2014)

8. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Default Re: A single Grand Presence

A logically-oriented mind says
    "The Presence is not real,
    it has no substance and no significance."

A mystically-oriented mind says
    "The Presence is who and what we are,
    and the Presence is eternal."

Upon the passing away of the physical body,
    the logical mind passes away with the body.

Upon the passing of the physical body, you
    (the Presence), effortlessly appears in other worlds,
    other dimensions, other existences, other bodies,
    other personalities, families, cultures ...
    and continues on forever.

Beautiful Holographic Worlds & Beings by Highwistler of The Soul Connection Network
    Last edited by Highwhistler; 28th July 2014 at 18:12.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Highwhistler For This Post:

Agape (29th July 2014), blotter (28th July 2014), Delight (28th July 2014), joeecho (11th August 2014), Sunny-side-up (29th July 2014), Wind (29th July 2014)

10. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,407 times in 5,730 posts

Default Re: A meditator's story

Quote Posted by Highwhistler (here)

A meditator's story

[SIZE=1]I fell in true love with the Quiet Center of Stillness more than 30 years ago. For 10 years before that, I did classic meditation and a lot of it. But when I truly fell in love with the stillness of the Universe my spiritual history went supernova.

In a quiet explosion of love, I retired from traditional spiritual life.
    I read this, feeling it in my bones and all I can say is Thank You, YES, Thanks again. !!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Sunny-side-up (29th July 2014)

12. Link to Post #47
    Thanks

Default Re: A meditator's story

Quote Posted by Delight (here)
    Quote Posted by Highwhistler (here)

A meditator's story

I fell in true love with the Quiet Center of Stillness more than 30 years ago.
    For 10 years before that, I did classic meditation and a lot of it. But when I
    truly fell in love with the stillness of the Universe my spiritual history
    went supernova.

In a quiet explosion of love, I retired from traditional spiritual life.
    I read this, feeling it in my bones and all I can say is
    Thank You, YES, Thanks again. !!

I understand
    that a quantum leap in meditation can happen
    when a meditator updates her center-most identity
    to include that silence, spaciousness, acceptance
    and infinite peace are natural parts of the
    foundation of her being.

Those things, or qualities,
    ARE YOU

Then you will not have to meditate
    by linear "old school" rules that have
    been passed down thru the ages.

You will effortlessly have
    the ability to make silence
    appear and be experienced as
    a natural part of who and what you are.

Personal Inner Hologram by Highwhstler of The Soul Connection Network
    Last edited by Highwhistler; 28th July 2014 at 17:55.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Highwhistler For This Post:

Agape (29th July 2014), blotter (28th July 2014), joeecho (11th August 2014), Marin (29th July 2014), Rich (28th July 2014), Wind (29th July 2014)

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

lThen you will not have to meditate
    by linear "old school" rules that have
    been passed down thru the ages.

You will effortlessly have
    the ability to make silence
    appear and be experienced as
    a natural part of who and what you are."

Amen to that.Never could do it the conventional way so just learn't to smile down to empty with eyes open.Whenever I used to try with my eyes closed it felt unnatural and was an effort to keep the eyes closed,which felt like tension.Whatever works though and each to their own.Nice posts whistler.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Post:

Rich (28th July 2014)

16. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Very beautiful posts, Highwhistler. Pressing the thank you button just wasn't enough.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Agape (29th July 2014), joeecho (11th August 2014)

18. Link to Post #50
    United Arab Emirates Avalon Member mahalall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 591 posts

Bill Joshin,
    Advice on being wary of the buckets of systems,
    reminds one of the importance of flying high

Bill's structural concept of self to environment appears to lack a depth of insight. Conditioned preceptions of reality are generated through the physiological responce to the reaction and not just conscious responce as bill eludes. If one goes beyond conscious intreperation the atomic reactional sensation of the conditioned construct is seen. A possible slight theory to practise deficit on bill's part.

all good stuff though-thanks for sharing
    Last edited by mahalall; 29th July 2014 at 14:32.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

joeecho (11th August 2014)

20. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

Meditating in the ways that the dude in the video is talking about are old school, constipated, worn-out methods. Learn about them ... but let them go. You are a Sovereign Entity of the Central Universe! ... you do not have to jump through the spiritual hoops that other beings are telling you that you must jump through.

Those systems of meditation have hardly anything to do with who you are, who I am, who we are ... as vibrant souls -- here and now -- people who are engaging with this world, the collective psychic ecosystem inside all of us, and our realizations regarding our nature and abilities.

Just fall in love with inner silence ... but add the fascination of your Presence to your love.

For example: below is a translation into words of one of my meditations.

I'm an organic gardener and I love what I do. Rather than meditate in the old-fashioned ways taught by gurus and meditation teachers for thousands of years, I intuitively design meditations to reflect, deepen and to explore the things I love. You are invited to meditate in ways that you design ... to enhance your life and to illuminate your being.

After all, you have a million times more understanding about our Self and your existence ... than does any guru, teacher, parent, friend, politician, therapist, partner, wife, husband, saint, deity ... and on, and on ...

A spiritual love of plants

Do you love plants?

I do

I love their presence in this world,
    in this existence,
    in our life

If you are a lover, like me ...
    when you lay in bed at night
    not only do we dream about the people,
    places and memories that we cherish,
    but our hearts also flow with the
    trees, forests, meadows,
    flowers, grasses, and
    the plants on land,
    as well as those in
    the streams, lakes
    and all the oceans
    ... on Earth ...
    that we care
    so much about

When I'm lost in love,
    my mind slows down
    -- it stops --
    so that the
    object of my love
    illuminates my entire
    inner universe

In those moments of love
    I'm rewarded by becoming
    a little bit of my Beloved

When we love plants
    and become a part of their Presence,
    then sometimes we become like them
    and we are invited
    to experience
    their world of
    deep silence

Last edited by Highwhistler; 6th August 2014 at 18:46.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Highwhistler For This Post:

joeecho (11th August 2014), TraineeHuman (6th August 2014), Wind (6th August 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3