+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: The Raw Food Thread!

1. Link to Post #61
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

Default Re: The Raw Food Thread!

Thank you OP for this thread, the videos in it, and the wonderful link to http://www.therawchef.com/ .

I also thought that vegetarians and vegans were nutrient-deficient, and that this was unfortunate. I should have known better than to trust conventional wisdom on that. Now I just have to get over my great love of pork fat. No matter how bad it may be for me, cooked slowly with pinto beans, it's like candy to me.

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    It also depends on the harvest. Most fruit and vegetables have a very short harvesting season and a crop far too big to consume fresh. This means that over the year either you eat you fair share of preserves of various kinds, or else someone else will have to do it for you (supposing nothing goes to waste).
    Yes, this is a problem I'm trying to figure out in order to provide my own food year-round. I don't want to eat a lot of sugar, and here, that's how things are preserved: in lots of sugar. I suppose I could dry things too but there must be other solutions.

You can supplement things you grow with things you gather. In the spring when plants start popping out from under the snow, many of them are edible and highly nutritious. If you start from there you're good to go until the winter comes again. And that seems to be the biggest problem.

2. Link to Post #62
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,070 times in 4,737 posts

Quote Posted by bsbray (here)
    Thank you OP for this thread, the videos in it, and the wonderful link to http://www.therawchef.com/ .

I also thought that vegetarians and vegans were nutrient-deficient, and that this was unfortunate. I should have known better than to trust conventional wisdom on that. Now I just have to get over my great love of pork fat. No matter how bad it may be for me, cooked slowly with pinto beans, it's like candy to me.

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    It also depends on the harvest. Most fruit and vegetables have a very short harvesting season and a crop far too big to consume fresh. This means that over the year either you eat you fair share of preserves of various kinds, or else someone else will have to do it for you (supposing nothing goes to waste).
    Yes, this is a problem I'm trying to figure out in order to provide my own food year-round. I don't want to eat a lot of sugar, and here, that's how things are preserved: in lots of sugar. I suppose I could dry things too but there must be other solutions.

You can supplement things you grow with things you gather. In the spring when plants start popping out from under the snow, many of them are edible and highly nutritious. If you start from there you're good to go until the winter comes again. And that seems to be the biggest problem.
    Most fruit will freeze well (apart from strawberries). If you only use a small quantity at a time, you don't need all the sugar. This is how industry processes a seasonal crop all the year round. Your freezer will warm your house in winter too.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (29th September 2014), Natalia (12th November 2014)

4. Link to Post #63
    Canada Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I was raw vegan for years. And hardcore vegan for 7/7 years. My conclusion is that my body functions best with animal products and if I continued as a vegan I would have developed worser physical and emotional and mental health. I wouldn't recommend any raw diet unless you at least get lots of raw eggs, fish, and dairy. This is just my personal insight based on years of personal experience. I want to keep this short and not get into detailed debates about nutrition so take this as just some random guy's opinion.

One reference I'd like to share, if you don't mind, is www.letthemeatmeat.com It gives a different perspective on raw food and veganism. It's good to look at both sides of diets and opinions to make the best informed decision. I personally valued the information on that site because it was coming from people who were vegans for years like me.

5. Link to Post #64
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,694 times in 1,016 posts

A juice that I made today, was yummy and felt food!

(I removed the video as I made another, better one).
    Last edited by Natalia; 19th December 2014 at 00:07.

6. Link to Post #65
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I made this fresh juice today (I realized after that the camera was not at the best angle! lol, oh well, know better for next time ).

Last edited by Natalia; 18th December 2014 at 23:34.

7. Link to Post #66
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

8. Link to Post #67
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

My new vegan food and nutrition blog

http://veganfoodandnutrition.blogspot.co.uk/

9. Link to Post #68
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

10. Link to Post #69
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

I made this raw soup tonight, it was more yum than I thought it would be!

Raw Creamy Kale and Sweet Pepper Soup

Serves 1-2

Ingredients

A big pinch of curly leaf kale (about 100g)
    A big pinch of spinach (about 75g)
    1 medium courgette
    1 sweet red pointed pepper
    1 large tomato
    1/2 an onion
    1 large clove of garlic
    100g of raw cashew nuts
    1 tablespoon of raw cashew butter
    1 tablespoon of cold pressed hemp seed oil
    A squeeze of lemon juice,
    Dried spices: ginger, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and coriander leaves.
    Pink Himalayan salt
    Some water

How to make

Chop the cashew nuts and add to the blender, then add a little water. Add all of the other ingredients with a little more water to the consistency that you like for soup. Blend until smooth.

Eat straight away or place in the fridge to be eaten on the same day

(from my blog: http://veganfoodandnutrition.blogspo...pper-soup.html).
    Last edited by Natalia; 18th February 2015 at 18:19.

11. Link to Post #70
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Raw Curry Soup

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 courgettes (zucchinis)
    1 1/2 red peppers
    1/2 onion
    2 medium-large tomatoes
    Fresh coriander
    Splash of lime juice
    Splash of lemon juice
    Hot curry powder
    Black pepper
    Ginger
    Pink Himalayan salt
    Water

How to make

Chop the vegetables, remove most of the seeds from the tomatoes, and put all of the ingredients into a high speed blender (I used a Nutribullet).

Add flavouring and water as you go along and taste, until you get the desired flavour and consistency.

Serve to eat immediately or store in the fridge to be eaten on the same day.

From my blog: http://veganfoodandnutrition.blogspo....html?spref=fb
    Last edited by Natalia; 23rd March 2015 at 10:00.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4