+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 12 16 LastLast

Thread: Mayhem in Missouri Breaks Out

1. Link to Post #21
    Australia Avalon Member panopticon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,008 times in 2,305 posts

Default Re: Mayhem in Missouri Breaks Out

The St Louis County Police are being removed from Ferguson.

Quote Missouri Governor Jay Nixon will announce that St. Louis County law enforcement will be relieved of duty in Ferguson, which has been roiled by protests after the shooting death by police of an unarmed teenager, according to Representative William Lacy Clay.
    Clay said that he has been urging U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to “take over the entire situation because we will not get justice for Michael Brown and his family and friends if the St. Louis County police and prosecutor have a say.”
    Source
    -- Pan
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.
    The only consequence is what we do."

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Debra (14th August 2014), Omni (15th August 2014), PurpleLama (14th August 2014), seeker/reader (14th August 2014), Sophocles (14th August 2014)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

Now this is an interesting twist on a recycling program in the US.

###

Quote The Law Enforcement Support Office (LESO), the facilitators of 1033 program, originated from the National Defense Authorization Act of Fiscal Year 1997 (FY 97). This law allows for the office to transfer excess Department of Defense property to law enforcement agencies across the United States and its territories.

Since its inception, the 1033 program has transferred more than $4.3 billion worth of property. In 2013 alone, $449,309,003.71 worth of property was transferred to law enforcement.
    Source
    Lovin' the MRAP:

-- Pan
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Debra (14th August 2014), Omni (15th August 2014), Sophocles (14th August 2014)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

I wonder if Obama listens to some of the rhetoric he spouts some times and wonders why he carries on...

All is well, the bureaucrats will save us!

After his wonderful "We tortured some folks" how can he say this with a straight face...

Yes, right to free speech, protest & association etc.
    Yes to press freedoms.

But in his opener he might as well be saying that if a police officer hits you you should not defend yourself...

That's as bad as the "people" who say "well if there's a problem you should just walk away, don't get involved".

I hear a woman screaming that she's being attacked. I don't walk away.
    I hear a child screaming because he's getting a beating from a drunk parent. I don't walk away.
    I see a police "man" intimidating or attacking peaceful protesters. I don't walk away.

If you think that there's a difference because the person doing the hitting is wearing a uniform and is representing the "State" then remember:
    One day the person getting attacked could be you.

-- Pan

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Carmody (15th August 2014), Debra (14th August 2014), Omni (15th August 2014), PurpleLama (14th August 2014), StandingWave (15th August 2014)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Default Martial Law declared n St Louis and St. Louis county.... BREAKING NEWS!!!

Martial law has been declared .....

YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_TyUuTbuK8[/YOUTUBE]

Need to follow this closely. IMO. Good place to start to rid the country of corruption!

Peace!
    Last edited by spiritguide; 14th August 2014 at 22:19. Reason: Removed outdated link.
    Perceive beyond the box!

" A warm handshake and a smile will lift more people than any elevator in the world. " - L. Hamel

8. Link to Post #25
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Martial Law declared n St Louis and St. Louis county.... BREAKING NEWS!!!

The article says 1861....

9. Link to Post #26
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,861 times in 3,179 posts

Default Re: Martial Law declared n St Louis and St. Louis county.... BREAKING NEWS!!!

"Published: August 15, 1861"

[link spells: nytimes. com/1861/08/15/news/...]

---

http://www.civilwarstlouis.com/history/McKinstry.htm

---

nevermind.
    Last edited by meeradas; 14th August 2014 at 20:32.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Billy (14th August 2014), Debra (16th August 2014), panopticon (15th August 2014), PurpleLama (14th August 2014), spiritguide (14th August 2014), ulli (14th August 2014)

11. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Here is another link..... sorry for the outdated one, should have noticed that.

https://www.facebook.com/DutchsinseO...82373798481713
    Perceive beyond the box!

" A warm handshake and a smile will lift more people than any elevator in the world. " - L. Hamel

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

Billy (14th August 2014), Debra (16th August 2014)

13. Link to Post #28
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

So, martial law has not been declared. At least, yet.

14. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

Quote Posted by panopticon (here)
    I wonder if Obama listens to some of the rhetoric he spouts some times and wonders why he carries on...

All is well, the bureaucrats will save us!

After his wonderful "We tortured some folks" how can he say this with a straight face...

Yes, right to free speech, protest & association etc.
    Yes to press freedoms.

But in his opener he might as well be saying that if a police officer hits you you should not defend yourself...

That's as bad as the "people" who say "well if there's a problem you should just walk away, don't get involved".

I hear a woman screaming that she's being attacked. I don't walk away.
    I hear a child screaming because he's getting a beating from a drunk parent. I don't walk away.
    I see a police "man" intimidating or attacking peaceful protesters. I don't walk away.

If you think that there's a difference because the person doing the hitting is wearing a uniform and is representing the "State" then remember:
    One day the person getting attacked could be you.

-- Pan
    Well said Pan. Bumping this. I think your evaluations are shaping up … there is more to what's been going on here. What a shifty world.

From Senator Claire McCaskill:

Quote We need to de-militarize this situation—this kind of response by the police has become the problem instead of the solution. I obviously respect law enforcement’s work to provide public safety, but my constituents are allowed to have peaceful protests, and the police need to respect that right and protect that right. Today is going to be a new start, we can and need to do better.”
    Is this view being shared by others in the Senate or Government, so prominently? I wish.

Welcome to the United Police States of America

Photo posted in FB today.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Debra For This Post:

panopticon (15th August 2014)

16. Link to Post #30
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,560 times in 5,028 posts

I am not sure if martial law is officially declared, but looks like it is being implemented.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local...-gas/13933883/

If it is not official, Then the title can be change. .

Can someone find out.

Peace.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Debra (16th August 2014), panopticon (15th August 2014), PurpleLama (14th August 2014)

18. Link to Post #31
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Quote Posted by Billy (here)
    I am not sure if martial law is officially declared, but looks like it is being implemented.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local...-gas/13933883/

If it is not official, Then the title can be change. .

Can someone find out.

Peace.
    That report is from 3 days ago, just as had been reported on the other thread.

Oh, and congratulations on your red letter status!

EDIT: Thank you. Threads merged.

And thanks again.
    Last edited by Billy; 14th August 2014 at 22:11.

19. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,799 times in 2,667 posts

Please stop panicking!!! Digest lots of takes on the 'news' both MSM and alternative, and be intuitive - talk to neighbours and friendly 'forces', and keep good vibes amongst everyone as long as possible.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

Debra (16th August 2014), Limor Wolf (15th August 2014), Omni (15th August 2014), panopticon (15th August 2014)

21. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 times in 430 posts

What's the ulterior motive of the person who started this thread?

Instead of images of police tear-gassing protesters, we get images of people looting.

You'd best do well to focus on the actual problem instead of trying to blame blacks.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Humble Janitor For This Post:

Bob (20th August 2014)

23. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,500 times in 430 posts

For those dragging Obama into this, PLEASE ****ING KNOCK IT OFF!

Seriously.

A young, unarmed man was slaughtered by a bunch of white, racist pigs.

And we get threads with people crying about Obama and looting?

To those making such threads/comments: YOU ARE THE PROBLEM

24. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,575 times in 2,121 posts

Quote Posted by Humble Janitor (here)

Seriously.

Humble Janitor, I really do not think that anyone one is actually disputing what happened to start this particular series of events. I am the one who started this thread. If you read down the first page you will see why ... . I thought a thread to track the eruptions might be of interest to see how this is handled by the authorities. To gather all info .. Whether it is from mainstream or social media, it is there to be sorted through.

Isn't that part of what we do on PA?

Your voice, your opinion is as valid as anyone's in offering perspective. And there are some very interesting perspectives we all need to at least give space for. I certainly value what others bring to this table. I don't have all the answers. That's why I'm here.

Thank you
    Zeb

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Debra For This Post:

Gardener (19th August 2014), Omni (15th August 2014), panopticon (15th August 2014)

26. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member Referee's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,992 times in 1,577 posts

Police Radio of the evening in question.......from anon

http://aattp.org/breaking-anonymous-...uson-shooting/
    Last edited by Referee; 15th August 2014 at 05:44.
    "A nation which has forgotten the quality of courage which in the past has been brought to public life is not as likely to insist upon or regard that quality in its chosen leaders today - and in fact we have forgotten. "John F. Kennedy

Peace, Love and Consiousness
    Referee

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Referee For This Post:

Debra (16th August 2014), panopticon (15th August 2014)

28. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Someone publicly asked me to comment on the situation, specifically as to whether I predict this will be a unifying/galvenizing event, or another racial dividing one.

Dennis Leahy, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the situation in Missouri. Is it likely to destabilize race relations or will it unite Americans against a militarized police? Your predictions are usually pretty good.

My answer:

If it was "organic" (coming from the people), it would lean toward being a uniting event - plenty of "melanin-challenged" people like myself hate racism - especially officially sanctioned racism - and are enraged by militarized cops and no justice. Unfortunately, there are not enough "white" faces in the crowd of protesters, at least not in the published shots, and that may make the (approximately two-thirds) of the locals who are black wonder where the white support is. And the nearly all-white police force is gasoline on the fire.

A (black) state trooper has been given the task of defusing the situation and is doing an amazing job.

Probably the most powerful thing "white" citizens can do is to: publicly and loudly state that this was a racist execution, that we are outraged, and that we want justice. Hopefully, images like the following will be seen:

29. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (15th August 2014), Daphne (15th August 2014), Debra (16th August 2014), Gardener (19th August 2014), meeradas (15th August 2014), Omni (15th August 2014), panopticon (15th August 2014), Wind (15th August 2014)

30. Link to Post #38
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote I am not sure if martial law is officially declared, but looks like it is being implemented.
    US is under martial law since its been taken of the gold standard.

Quote On June 5, 1933, the United States went off the gold standard, a monetary system in which currency is backed by gold, when Congress enacted a joint resolution nullifying the right of creditors to demand payment in gold. The United States had been on a gold standard since 1879, except for an embargo on gold exports during World War I, but bank failures during the Great Depression of the 1930s frightened the public into hoarding gold, making the policy untenable.

Soon after taking office in March 1933, Roosevelt declared a nationwide bank moratorium in order to prevent a run on the banks by consumers lacking confidence in the economy. He also forbade banks to pay out gold or to export it. According to Keynesian economic theory, one of the best ways to fight off an economic downturn is to inflate the money supply. And increasing the amount of gold held by the Federal Reserve would in turn increase its power to inflate the money supply. Facing similar pressures, Britain had dropped the gold standard in 1931, and Roosevelt had taken note.

On April 5, 1933, Roosevelt ordered all gold coins and gold certificates in denominations of more than $100 turned in for other money. It required all persons to deliver all gold coin, gold bullion and gold certificates owned by them to the Federal Reserve by May 1 for the set price of $20.67 per ounce. By May 10, the government had taken in $300 million of gold coin and $470 million of gold certificates. Two months later, a joint resolution of Congress abrogated the gold clauses in many public and private obligations that required the debtor to repay the creditor in gold dollars of the same weight and fineness as those borrowed. In 1934, the government price of gold was increased to $35 per ounce, effectively increasing the gold on the Federal Reserve's balance sheets by 69 percent. This increase in assets allowed the Federal Reserve to further inflate the money supply.

The government held the $35 per ounce price until August 15, 1971, when President Richard Nixon announced that the United States would no longer convert dollars to gold at a fixed value, thus completely abandoning the gold standard. In 1974, President Gerald Ford signed legislation that permitted Americans again to own gold bullion.
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 15th August 2014 at 06:47.

31. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Humble Janitor (here)

Seriously.

G'day HJ,

You are correct. I AM THE PROBLEM.

There are many other people like myself who are also problems throughout the world.

I'm glad you picked up that it is me, posting a brief critique of a speech given by the head of the USA's executive branch, that is the problem and not the fact that the speech was targeted at certain persons within Ferguson.

I and the other trouble makers are the problem because we periodically evaluate what is said and interpret underlying messages that are prominent in speeches from persons in positions of power.

Listen to the meter of Obama's voice his emphasis on certain words to carry a point to the listeners subconscious mind, his phraseology, there are so many things to listen/watch for.

Let's briefly examine the "who" & "what" questions in relation to this speech.

Who is it aimed at in general? Citizens of the US who are angered at this attack by police on peaceful protesters and journalists.

Who is it aimed at specifically? The people I mentioned earlier who were locked up in jail with Alderman French. You know: the people running the peaceful protests. By and large the support for Obama comes from these very same people and, as I said earlier, this strategy is well known. When there is civil unrest those trying to disperse that unrest speak to the moderate voices who are sympathetic to the position of the persons in power. The persons trying to disperse a protest try to make these moderates believe that they are doing the right thing in trying stop or limit the protests. If this is unsuccessful then they use other means (bribery, blackmail, threats/intimidation, assassination). As I said earlier in relation to Alderman French's detention:

Quote Posted by panopticon (here)
    Quote French said he should never have been locked up, nor should the dozen or so others he shared cell space with overnight.

"Inside that jail is nothing but peacekeepers," he said. "They rounded up the wrong people ... reverends, young people organizing the peace effort."
    Source
    I say they rounded up exactly who they were aiming to.

Not only did this give the opportunity for angry protesters to attack police over the injustices of these "good people" being arrested but maybe a night in the cells might make those "good people" have second thoughts about protesting again.

It's all about control and power...
    So, enough of the "who", time for examining "what" was said...

I'll deconstruct a part of Obama's speech segment because it is a classic example of some well used techniques. I'll not fully deconstruct it because that would take days and I don't personally need to. I'll do enough though to indicate what I'm talking about.

Quote I know that many American’s have been deeply disturbed by the images we’ve seen in the heartland of our country, as police have clashed with people protesting.
    Notice that this speech segment starts with the use of "joiner" words and "heartland" is classic Nation-State reinforcement. The use of "joiner" words makes the speaker part of the audience. Use of "we", "our", "us" are classic examples of this.

Obama is saying: "I've been seeing the same images as you are, we are all upset".

Also it is police "clashed" with protesters. Not assaulted, not attacked, but "clashed". That's what being shot with rubber bullets & wooden plugs is. That's what unlawful detention is. That's what hi-vis intimidation by armed police in a suburb is. That's what the use of percussion grenades, smoke bombs & tear gas on civilians is. "Clashed". Poppycock. Also notice how it is aimed at the subconscious by placing "clashed" in the past tense? Control the discourse.

Then we move into influencing the subconscious with this statement:
    Quote Today I’d like us all to take a step back and think about how we’re going to be moving forward.
    This is aimed towards at least 2 separate audiences that are part of this discourse creation moment (if you don't know what that is then please read some of my earlier posts in other threads on discourse creation and minority control of concensus opinion and/or try these papers: 2011 - 'Social Consensus Through the Influence of Committed Minorities' and 2013 -'Role of committed minorities in times of crisis').

Those 2 primary groups are:
    • The people "on the ground" in Ferguson and
    • Those who are actively involved in public discourse creation/control at a Nation-State level (eg media representative, senators, members of congress, governors, lobby groups/think tank spokespersons, corporations, members of the judiciary, police).

Again, this illustrates the way this short extract makes use of a "multi-audience" approach through its construction. Levels & layers are being targeted within the same extract. Message to Ferguson moderates: 'us all to take a step back and think about how we’re going to be moving forward'. There are "joiners" used to encourage sympathy etc for the person giving the message.

The very first thing said after this sends a message to the listeners mind. That message is:
    Quote There is never an excuse for violence against police
    Poppycock I say. Others may well be happy with being beaten by "protectors" but I will never give up my personal sovereignty for the rights of the Nation-State.

Next Obama is saying that police shouldn't do "this, that and the other" to protesters or journalists and I wont analyse that because it's fairly pedestrian "I understand what you're saying" "I'm on your side" me-too-ism that is used by politicians all the time...

What is interesting is the use of "we are one family" rhetoric for almost half of the excerpt as a means of trying to control the way discussion is framed around this.

I'll highlight key words/phrases and notes/points in parenthesis:

Quote I know that emotions are raw right now in Ferguson, [errr], and there certainly passionate differences about what has happened. [er], There are going to be different accounts of how this tragedy occurred. There are going to be differences in terms of what needs to happen in going forward. [Notice the re-use of the "going forward" motif from earlier? This is to direct discourse in a specific way leading to the end of protests. Emphasis placed on "accounts" & "forward"]

That’s part of our democracy. [joining word "our" & emphasis on "democracy"]

Let’s remember that we are part of one American family. [This is a "joining phrase" with the joining words "us", "we", "our", "one" & "family" all incorporated. Incredibly saturated construction used primarily for media quotes. Emphasis placed on "family"]

We are united in common values and that includes: [joining words "we", "united" "common" & lesser "includes"]
    • belief in equality under the law, [slowed phrase meter down for clarity and emphasis "belief -- in -- equality under the law", slight emphasis on word "equality" -- talking almost specifically to the Ferguson moderates here]
    • a basic respect for public order, and [talking to Ferguson moderates with the term "basic respect", they view themselves as having respect so linking "basic respect" with "public order" might create cognitive dissonance in some moderate protest organisers -- which is one key aim of this speech]
    • the right to peaceful public protest. [Removes the cognitive dissonance by promoting "peaceful public protests" which can be dispersed as I've mentioned earlier and/or limited to "daytime protests" limiting those who participate to those able to take time off work or those unemployed. Traditionally a way of moving a protest into a violent protest by removing of moderate voices and allowing for dispersal to be justified. Alternatively might move protests to weekends in specific "approved" locations.]

So, now’s the time for healing.
    Now’s the time for peace and calm on the streets of Ferguson.
    Now’s the time for an open and transparent process to see that justice is done.
    I hope the last 3 lines can be understood as being aimed at controlling the way the discourse around the events leading up to and including the protests are constructed and is aimed specifically at moderates in Ferguson and more generally at the lobbyists/media etc for discourse control.

Notice the over-arching theme is about "moving forward". I'll leave the reader to work out what that is aimed at doing...

So, yes. I am the problem.

Always have been. Hope to be for a bloody long time yet.

I will always write about how money, control and power is exerted as a means of oppression. Have most of my life and see no reason to stop now.

-- Pan

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Daphne (15th August 2014), Debra (16th August 2014), Dennis Leahy (15th August 2014), Firinn (19th August 2014), Gardener (19th August 2014), learninglight (15th August 2014), spiritguide (19th August 2014), Zionbrion (16th August 2014)

33. Link to Post #40
    Thanks

Marches and vigils replace riots in Ferguson after shooting of Michael Brown
    Olivia Bolton and agencies, August 15th, 2014

Hundreds of people hold vigils and peaceful marches in the Missouri town after the fatal shooting of a black teenager prompted four days of riotting

Hundreds of people demonstrated peacefully on Thursday in a Missouri town rocked by days of protests over the fatal shooting of a black teenager, hours after state police were ordered to replace local forces.

Police shot and killed unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown on Saturday in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, triggering protests and then a police crackdown in which authorities fired tear gas and rubber bullets and arrested reporters, sparking complaints led by President Barack Obama.

Brown's death and the subsequent action by a mainly white police force in a majority black town led to allegations of racism and stirred comparisons with the February 2012 fatal shooting of unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida by a member of a civilian neighborhood security patrol.

State Governor Jay Nixon said the decision to draft in the Missouri Highway Patrol had been taken after Ferguson was left looking "like a war zone" after four days of rioting - and there was an altogether different atmosphere on the streets after the governor's move.

The county police response to daily, and nightly, protests since the shooting had been aggressive, with rifle-toting police in military-style fatigues and body armor deployed to crush dissent.

Source

34. The Following User Says Thank You to panopticon For This Post:

Debra (16th August 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 12 16 LastLast