+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to network with people in the UK and elsewhere for future project in Portugal

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default Looking to network with people in the UK and elsewhere for future project in Portugal

Hi guys, fairly new here. I posted a slightly detailed 'new here' thing in a UK group but was told it's inactive - I'll paste the link to that here if you want a small back story.
    By the way - Boom was literally a life changing experience. I could write about the negatives and positives, but, some other time...all I'll say is that the people there are not all just new agers..! some really wonderful vibes there...

So, I am basically am a bit torn: I want to network in the permaculture and off-grid community but have no idea where to start. I have enough money for some land, but my friends are currently not ready to start something and I feel like I need to spend more time finding like minds and see if I can't find people who are more on my wavelength. I want to find passionate committed, people. People who understand natural law... people who are dedicated to self improvement so that they might become community 'leaders'. I'm training myself for this every day I'm able...but I want to find people who are balanced. I find some have their head so far in one field they cannot see the wood for the trees. Whether its research of ancient aliens, or chemtrails, or Zionism... I've struggled to find people who really want to get their hands in the earth -and focus on freeing ourselves from slavery. I mean no disrespect to these groups, but my focus is on providing myself and others with our own food and energy, the knowledge to do it, and to provide a platform for others to step up on.

I really want what I do to be meaningful and not just for myself. I want to help people - I want to be able to grow surplus food in order to help others who are fighting this spiritual war - but I have my concerns of how to manage this project and prevent it from being abused. That's another topic for another time though...

So I'm aware of this forum and some other websites I'm just dipping my toes into - can anyone point me in any interesting directions? Especially if:
    1. You are interested in Permaculture projects in portugal built on the principles of natural law!
    2. You are able and willing to either meet up in person or Skype call about this
    3. If you would just like to stay in touch and hear about our project
    4. You are comfortable with the idea that there will be a core team who fund raise and 'own' the land. I'm afraid living in eco villages and communities in the past reminded me not everyone is capable of living in harmony with natural law, or each other!

One of the best teachers of Natural law that I've found is Mark Passio. I have huge respect for this man - I don't agree with everything he puts out - but I do recommend his material on natural law in particular.

I will edit / add to this post as I get my thoughts together. It's in the pipeline.. I'm still saving money. I have 'enough' but not enough to do what I want with room to do other things I want...

Bless!

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Iarmhéid For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (17th October 2014), angelfire (17th August 2014), Baby Steps (26th November 2014), betoobig (17th August 2014), Billy (17th August 2014), halffull (17th August 2014), Hazel (17th August 2014), Joao (31st August 2014), mahalall (19th August 2014), mpod001 (17th August 2014), Nasu (18th October 2014), Natalia (18th October 2014), Pam (30th November 2014), Ria (17th October 2014), Robin (17th August 2014), Rowan (29th November 2014), StandingWave (18th August 2014), Sunny-side-up (18th August 2014), Taurean (17th August 2014), thunder24 (18th August 2014), vje2 (18th August 2014), Wind (17th August 2014), Xanth (17th August 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

Default Re: Looking to network with people in the UK and elsewhere for future project in Portugal

Welcome Iarmheid. Here's a link to a website and forum which I have been involved with for some time. We are mostly but not exclusively based in Scotland but it's looking likely that we may try to create a community in Spain, maybe Portugal.
    You'll find a wealth of info on the forums - we've done a lot of talking! I'll look forward to meeting you there.

http://hartwoodcommunity.coop/

Blessings.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (17th October 2014), betoobig (17th August 2014), halffull (17th August 2014), Nasu (18th October 2014), Rowan (29th November 2014), Sunny-side-up (18th August 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Default Re: Looking to network with people in the UK and elsewhere for future project in Portugal

Thanks so much! I will take a look.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Iarmhéid For This Post:

betoobig (17th August 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Great Britain Avalon Member mpod001's Avatar
    Thanks

Namaste

This is exactly what I have been looking for! I am very interested in permaculture and currently grow my own fruit and vegetables on my own allotment! I have been looking into ways of becoming more and more self sufficient and moving away from mainstream and the stranglehold the corporations have on us. I am very interested to talk with you, I am just a little unsure what I feel about Portugul though!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpod001 For This Post:

betoobig (17th August 2014), Rowan (29th November 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

This has always been my dream, and something I've been envisioning my whole life. I'm currently living on an intentional community/organic farm in one of the most rural places in the U.S. The Possibility Alliance, which is 40 miles away from the farm, is a petroleum/electricity-free organic farm, and they focus on spirituality, loving the land, teaching others about the lifestyle, and getting involved in community action (protests, etc.).

But alas! I am currently in student loan debt which is hindering my ability to continue living this lifestyle and even start my own eco-village. If I were not so young, money-less, and in debt, I would love to join you, as I too desire to not only be a part of an eco-village, but be among people who are active in seeking the Truth and willing to educate others and assist in the coming changes.

I also enjoy Mark Passio's work and I listen to his radio show every week (I just called in yesterday). I wish you the best with your project and I hope it all works out how you dream of it.
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (17th October 2014), betoobig (17th August 2014), StandingWave (18th August 2014), Wind (17th August 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

You could investigate Tontess Transition Towns for local groups and support if you have not yet tried that.

They're all about self sufficiency in food, energy and matching local peoples' skills with local needs.

I first heard of this British organization while in the USA on National Public Radio, so they have branches all over the globe - well at least the UK and US.

Nick

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your replies I must sleep now; I will get back to you tomorrow.

Namaste! <3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Iarmhéid For This Post:

mpod001 (17th August 2014)

14. Link to Post #8
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Quote Posted by SamwiseTheBrave (here)
    This has always been my dream, and something I've been envisioning my whole life. I'm currently living on an intentional community/organic farm in one of the most rural places in the U.S. The Possibility Alliance, which is 40 miles away from the farm, is a petroleum/electricity-free organic farm, and they focus on spirituality, loving the land, teaching others about the lifestyle, and getting involved in community action (protests, etc.).
    Greetings SamWiseTheBrave

This mode of living has intrigued me for some time now. Since, from what I understand, The Possibility Alliance operates without electricity, how do you access the internet?

Is there more then one option? Some that live in the alliance with electricity and some that do not?

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Quote Posted by joeecho (here)

This mode of living has intrigued me for some time now. Since, from what I understand, The Possibility Alliance operates without electricity, how do you access the internet?

Is there more then one option? Some that live in the alliance with electricity and some that do not?
    I'm not living at the Possibility Alliance. I live on a farm in the vicinity of the Alliance, but I know them well and have been at their farm.

They do not have computers at all. They have a land-line, which is the only way to contact them, besides the traditional mail service. But they are surprisingly active in staying aware of current events, and they hop on the train to go places when called into action. They have a fleet of bikes they ride too.
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Robin For This Post:

joeecho (18th August 2014)

17. Link to Post #10
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

Quote Posted by joeecho (here)

I'm not living at the Possibility Alliance. I live on a farm in the vicinity of the Alliance, but I know them well and have been at their farm.

They do not have computers at all. They have a land-line, which is the only way to contact them, besides the traditional mail service. But they are surprisingly active in staying aware of current events, and they hop on the train to go places when called into action. They have a fleet of bikes they ride too.
    The contrasts in life really amaze me. To think, for instance, that two people can live just miles apart but live such different lives. One reads by candle light and sings songs in the living room while another reads an eBook on an iPad while listening to music on iTunes.

Imaging just the diversity at any one moment in time on planet earth and magnify that by an infinite degree in just our Universe alone. It's a wow what is out there.

Most of the time I forget how different lives all of us lead from one another but still able to come together in a degree of understanding.

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Great to hear that more people are moving in this direction.

Iarmhéid (is that Irish for 'balance'? Nice user-id!) I am very keen to chat with you, let me know via PM if you are inclined.

I and my partner have taken the plunge into self-sufficiency and have been busy setting up a food forest in the rural areas of eastern southern africa for the last nine years. Every day brings us closer to independence and freedom! We too are hoping to grow this into a small community much along the lines that SamwiseTheBrave describes. We are finding that like-minded people are a rare commodity.

It is really important to establish these connections between people who are actually doing the work and creating an exmaple for a liveable future.

We have also recently discovered Mark Passio and find his explanation of Natural Law absolutely fantastic! Wonderful that you are focussing on integrating these understandings into communal living.
    "There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." R. Buckminster Fuller

19. The Following User Says Thank You to StandingWave For This Post:

thunder24 (18th August 2014)

20. Link to Post #12
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Hi Iarmheid,
    I am currently preparing myself to start teaching and living in an eco-village/University.
    Would love to talk to you whenever you can. Feel free to PM me and will send you some more details.

21. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Thanks again folks I'm getting through your replies. I will give you all my email address so we can stay in touch easier as I have an app for that on my phone.. when I replace it.. I lost it!

Yes it does mean balance. I don't speak Irish (or Irish Gaelic, contentious issue so I hear) but I spent some time in Ireland and want to learn as much as I can. Beautiful language!

Well done StandingWave! And yes Mark is brilliant glad to meet more people who've heard of him. I'll PM you.

PS Sam the possibility alliance are going into my evernote! thanks. There's a small chance I'll end up in the U.S one day..

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Iarmhéid For This Post:

StandingWave (20th August 2014)

23. Link to Post #14
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

If I was you, I'd write a one page summary of permaculture, and put it up in your local area.

I think one page info sheets are the future.

Peace.

24. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Well the thing is I live in the most conservative town in England, possibly, and even the local transition towns folk are quite, to say the least, meek. They are into composting and small community gardens - but as a way of life? I don't know. They're barely putting their toes in the pond when it comes to throwing down the gauntlet imo. They are a valid piece of the puzzle but not what I'm looking for. I don't know if I can build this with people who would likely sell me out if the government came knocking, you know - most of these people still believe in government and other such authorities... writing to their MP and such.... it's just not for me. Maybe there's a few diamonds out there! But I'm not around these parts enough to maintain correspondence.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iarmhéid For This Post:

Rowan (29th November 2014), StandingWave (20th August 2014)

26. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Hi guys. Just wanted to bump this thread as I'm still looking and interested also in joining a community that's all ready set up. (Portugal preferred though open even to the U.S for example, maybe)

Also on a bit of a downer tonight. I guess I'd like some positive conversation to inspire some hope in me. I recently am doubting my choice to go to China to teach english. Thing is the job is pretty much there and waiting for me...I'm having doubts about after 6 years of semi freedom (But barely any money) of being someone's employee again. I might make another thread about that asking for advice...we'll see.

27. Link to Post #17
    England Avalon Member
    Thanks

I have been looking for like-minded people for the last year, I would be 100% committed and involved with a project of this sort if I was given the chance. I have knowledge in preserving foods, growing fruit and veg (what to plant in which season and the care needed) and I also have experience in looking after, handling and raising poultry livestock. I am a 'qualified' chef but I have been looking to escape the only option we are given as citizens which is to be forced into education, forced to work then to retire and die. I want more from my life and I want to leave a lasting impact for future generations to see and hopefully follow in our footsteps. I don't want to one day have children to make them believe this is the only possible way of life that we can lead. we should all unite our values and make a clear message that there is a far more fulfilling way to live that leaves the environment around us in better condition when we pass away rather than leaving this earth worse than when we were born. please get into touch with me about your project, what you hope to achieve, and possibly how I could get involved and become part of a community. many thanks and all the best for the future,

future seed.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to future seed For This Post:

Rowan (30th November 2014)

29. Link to Post #18
    UK Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,694 times in 1,016 posts

I'd love to see this happen, more and more.

30. Link to Post #19
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi.

I'm very interested and I live in London. Portugal would be nice since I'm brazilian. I also wish to find comminted and hearted people for this community. Please let me know if there is a way to communicate in a more detailed way.

31. Link to Post #20
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Hello!

I don't have the time to type a detailed response right now but I would suggest doing some research on Michael Tellinger and his UBUNTU contributionalism movement

Best wishes for now
    Greg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast