Thread: >>> Is Liberalism A Mental Illness ?<<<

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,366 times in 4,614 posts

Default Re: >>> Is Liberalism A Mental Illness ?<<<

Quote Posted by Omniverse (here)
    Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    Any 'ism is insane in todays world , no matter what 'ism it is
    I thought a little while to test this. I came up with this word (one of my favorites actually): Altruism. Is that one insane? Seems it's one of the best things there is. One thing that is void of insanity. And humanity has it within some as well. I don't mean to post against what you say Agape, I do believe you have a valid point with the isms... I just had to test it out because that is my nature... I'm curious if you would revise your comment, or do you think Altruism is tainted too?
    Altruism is needed on every level , that's completely right Omni . As long as it remains 'natural virtue' and does not turn to some sort of 'institutionalised movement' that would claim itself as main 'owner' of altruistic ideals and make its members perform acts of loving kindness because 'it's right to do that' ,
    against somebodies own will, wish or conscience .

The 'goodness with staff' if you know what I mean . And also and especially , as long as it remains 'organic' , heart virtue . It has to be taught from living being to another one, by example .
    The moment people turn it to 'production line' and try to sell their 'altruism' as sort of product , it too loses merit . Because then it benefits the alleged 'owner' rather than those who should have been benefited .

But I think you can come up with other benevolent 'isms' and all will look and behave innocent unless they're politicised .

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Frank V (23rd August 2014), Frederick Jackson (23rd August 2014), Maunagarjana (24th August 2014), Wind (23rd August 2014)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Aragorn (here)
    Anyone who wants to run for office is someone who by definition doesn't deserve to set one foot in it, because they are all in it for the sake of their own ego. We are all sovereign beings, and although some things need to be regulated - even if only by consensus - no one has the right to rule over his fellow human beings.
    That's more less exactly the way I see it as well . Those who 'want the chair' automatically do not deserve it . In righteous society, and times of old ( long forgotten I guess ) when people needed the Elders advice or leadership,
    they sought for them and asked them for help .
    The 'Elder' would never promote himself as one leader or start a movement .. unless it would be for exceptional circumstance like saving the tribe from calamity ( for example ) . How possibly can anyone ( truly ) think that such role/post can be payed by money or that ideals ( devoid of wisdom ) are enough to aspire for leadership of nations ,
    or that 'my judgement' is leading judgement in all matters human ?

There are exceptions to the rule I suppose and people who truly want to serve their fellow human beings ...even then , many fall for some kind of political ideology and end up compromised after entering the office , simply because everyone else 'up there' are already compromised .

Quote Besides, the hideous gang rape cases in India prove that the death penalty doesn't work as a deterrent, because there are still gang rapes going on there every day. Not too long ago, a European woman was gang raped there, and after the perpetrators had left her, she tried to make her way over to a police station, but on the way over, she was attacked by another gang and again raped by each of those gang members. And this despite the fact that the gang who raped and ultimately killed that young woman on that bus (and nearly killed her male friend, who was trying to defend her) were given the death penalty.
    It's an extremely sad situation . India has very old and noble culture that respects woman ( and man ) as manifestation of the Divine itself ..
    but what we see nowadays is slow erosion of that complex and ancient culture that is being overridden by western secularism , materialism , and generally , devaluation of traditional values .
    This has not payed off well in any culture , from the complex ones to the primitive and India has both and many in between ,
    it's historically , multileveled and multi-cultural society that was able to protect its heritage so long thanks to its abiding on spiritual principles .. ethical principles , and knowledge that goes deep bellow the differences of creed and caste .

It's not that India is 'perfect' in any sense but it still contains a wealth of knowledge passed over millennia that withstood many challenges and tests of time ,
    and the knowledge is or could be applied with all humanity .

I hope for a hope for India to find its way and preserve its true knowing .. some of which is not even written anywhere but abides in hearts of sages , people who can't be found anywhere else in the world .. and are not the 'poster gurus' or 'big names' but have to be sought for, at times of need , by those of pure heart ..

as much as I hope for humanity on Earth to find its true values . It's probably never too late but it looks to me sometimes as if 'we are losing'.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Curt (23rd August 2014), Frank V (23rd August 2014), Frederick Jackson (23rd August 2014), Oouthere (26th August 2014), Wind (23rd August 2014)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 times in 391 posts

For those of you who have the time here is an interesting interview with Jay Weidner on Red Ice Radio which took place a month ago. I think it is relevant to this thread. Politically correctness & the border crisis are discussed among other things.
    I was a liberal leaning type when I was in my teens and 20s but as I grew older
    I became more conservative AND I stopped voting in national elections after Reagan
    was elected in 1980....I read a book 20 years ago called Paved With Good Intentions which talked about how LBJ's "war on poverty" has only created more poverty.It appears that the welfare system is a bit of a failure..IMHO.
    When I was in my early 20s I thought {wrongly} that I knew more about the way things worked than my father. He used to say " You can't get something for nothing."...It took me quite a while to realize my dad was talking about karma .

You end up "paying" for what you get for "free" in one way or another.{IMO}
    http://www.redicecreations.com/radio...RIR-140718.php

PS: I have a high opinion of Jay Weidner . We are about the same age and are interested in many of the same ideas...
    Last edited by marlowe; 23rd August 2014 at 11:25.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marlowe For This Post:

Frederick Jackson (23rd August 2014), NancyV (24th August 2014)

7. Link to Post #24
    Mexico Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Aw. foo, jeez, whaddya know, I came out leftist and somewhat libertarian. dah, used to call myself a conservative. but always had a radical side also. like a conservative who believed in worker ownership of means of production. tried that on a conservative chic in a bar and that did not go well, which is as well.

Here is a link where you can test your own political orientation on this compass. ;-)[/QUOTE]

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frederick Jackson For This Post:

Agape (23rd August 2014), Frank V (23rd August 2014), PurpleLama (23rd August 2014)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Frederick Jackson (here)

Here is a link where you can test your own political orientation on this compass. ;-)
    And that looks like detailed 6 page questionary

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Frank V (23rd August 2014), PurpleLama (23rd August 2014)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Quote Posted by marlowe (here)
    Dr. Rossiter describes liberals as having strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions that relentlessly undermine the most important principals on which our freedoms are founded.
    { this thread is not a joke }

http://rightamerican.wordpress.com/s...ental-illness/
    I have to wonder how many people who posted on this thread actually read the article at the link ?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marlowe For This Post:

Agape (24th August 2014), Frank V (23rd August 2014), Jake (23rd August 2014)

13. Link to Post #27
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

Dr. Rossiter describes liberals as having strikingly irrational beliefs and emotions that relentlessly undermine the most important principals on which our freedoms are founded.

I have to wonder how many people who posted on this thread actually read the article at the link ?
    I read it diagonally.

14. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Quote Posted by Aragorn (here)

I read it diagonally.
    I read it. I didn't see any footnotes, as to reference his work. But I definitely read it. It is basically a preview to a book that is being sold. (I suspect an election coming up,, lol)

My overall view is that mental illness is a REAL problem that Governments and big-pharma are planning to capitalize on,, on a global scale... (even much more than now.)

A more focused view is that this article was written by a Doctor who has worked with lawyers and courts, and as a consultant,, more than he has worked with patients. Which is fine.. I am just skeptical of his overall view being taken too seriously, considering he has taken his 'expertise',, and somehow applied it to a specific political party.

I see it as a rouse,,, a gambit,,,,, I read it just now,, again just to humor you!!

Jake.
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Agape (24th August 2014), Frank V (24th August 2014), Octavusprime (25th August 2014)

16. Link to Post #29
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,296 times in 1,783 posts

Personally, I don't see any difference between either party because no matter which one wins, be it a Republican or a Democrat, they still have to follow the directives of the same puppet-master once they are in office.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roisin For This Post:

Blacklight43 (24th August 2014), Dennis Leahy (24th August 2014), Frank V (24th August 2014), Jake (24th August 2014), Octavusprime (25th August 2014), Oouthere (24th August 2014), Sophocles (24th August 2014)

18. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Roisin (here)
    Personally, I don't see any difference between either party because no matter which one wins, be it a Republican or a Democrat, they still have to follow the directives of the same puppet-master once they are in office.
    Yes...You can google "Are conservatives mentally ill" and get just as many hundreds of hits as if you google

"Are liberals mentally ill "........IMO you have to look beyond the political party system .......

Think in terms of a pole shift and a mass die off and the restarting of 'civilization".....IMO it will be conservative .....Liberalism is a luxury ...It hasn't been around that long....It went viral with the boomer generation growing into adults in the 60s and 70s......
    Last edited by marlowe; 24th August 2014 at 00:31.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to marlowe For This Post:

NancyV (24th August 2014)

20. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Not me, and I don't intend to.

Instead, I pointed out that the question you asked was fallacious and specious. [ The word "liberal" has been deliberately co-opted and repeatedly gang-raped by neo-Orwellian doublespeakers. If you really want to have a meaningful conversation, you simply have to dispose of some of the words in the lexicon that fall into this cluster of deliberately destroyed words. Calling your thread topic/question "specious" may be overly generous.]

I also pointed out that if you really want to drill-down to the underlying issues (specific attributes that are problematic, or even insane), you should specifically identify an issue. I'll bet you one dollar that you believe that I am "liberal"; and I'll bet you two dollars that there are issues that we agree on. Does that make YOU a liberal too? Or does it underscore that the word "liberal" is not only a contronym of itself but also attempts to paint a picture with a mile-wide brush?

If you still don't believe that there are words that have been deliberately sabotaged, maybe take a look at the Metanoia Films production, PsyWar: The Real Battlefield is the Mind. Allow me to add a link to it [http://metanoia-films.org/psywar/] (I won't be upset with you if you refuse to watch it, the same way I refused to go read something that attempted to substantiate the thread title. But, I hope you do. The people playing us one-against-another are really really good at what they do, and they have had fantastic success. We can only stop them with knowledge (see their gambit), and ultimately with love. We have to figure out how to focus on our common ground, and our loving relationship with Gaia, with life, with humanity.)

I can disagree with you and still love you.

Love you, bro.

Dennis

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

bruno dante (24th August 2014), Frank V (24th August 2014), Gardener (26th August 2014), gripreaper (24th August 2014), Jake (24th August 2014), panopticon (24th August 2014), Roisin (24th August 2014), Sophocles (24th August 2014), Wind (25th August 2014)

22. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 times in 369 posts

The link is actually a good read. Here's something from the link that sums-up about everything:

..."What the liberal mind is passionate about is a world filled with pity, sorrow, neediness, misfortune, poverty, suspicion, mistrust, anger, exploitation, discrimination, victimization, alienation and injustice. Those who occupy this world are “workers,” “minorities,” “the little guy,” “women,” and the “unemployed.” They are poor, weak, sick, wronged, cheated, oppressed, disenfranchised, exploited and victimized. They bear no responsibility for their problems. None of their agonies are attributable to faults or failings of their own: not to poor choices, bad habits, faulty judgment, wishful thinking, lack of ambition, low frustration tolerance, mental illness or defects in character. None of the victims’ plight is caused by failure to plan for the future or learn from experience. Instead, the “root causes” of all this pain lie in faulty social conditions: poverty, disease, war, ignorance, unemployment, racial prejudice, ethnic and gender discrimination, modern technology, capitalism, globalization and imperialism. In the radical liberal mind, this suffering is inflicted on the innocent by various predators and persecutors: “Big Business,” “Big Corporations,” “greedy capitalists,” U.S. Imperialists,” “the oppressors,” “the rich,” “the wealthy,” “the powerful” and “the selfish.”

IMO there are some real issues in the above (i.e. free energy suppression, oppressive government, etc). I live in a area that thrives on welfare and a lot of the people have no desire or intention of helping themselves. Why should I pay 30% of my take-home pay to help them? Why can't I help those that I wish, and think deserving of help? To me, that's all a conservative really desires. Most of the other stuff is simply made-up by the political machine.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oouthere For This Post:

marlowe (24th August 2014), NancyV (24th August 2014)

24. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    , the same way I refused to go read something that attempted to substantiate the thread title.
    Great.Dennis...But I don't want your love . .......But at least I know that you think you know something that you don't...
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 4th September 2014 at 21:20.

25. Link to Post #34
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

the whole thing is insanity , doing the same thing and expecting a different result , oh if we can just get our candidate in the oval office , things will change for the better , yes we can , it's time for them to go , change you can believe in ... the two party system owns the whole enchilada , no matter who sits in the chair , the system is broken ... I say having faith in a two party system is mental illness ... vote for the challenger , clean house , fire them all ... toss conservative and Liberalism from our language and let us all be Americans ... bye bye division ... go 50-50 on all ideas , share the blame and share the fame , then the only finger pointing is the one in the mirror ... we have no one to blame but ourselves , the system will change when WE change it ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (24th August 2014), East Sun (24th August 2014), jagman (24th August 2014), Jake (24th August 2014), marlowe (24th August 2014), Oouthere (26th August 2014), Roisin (24th August 2014), Sophocles (24th August 2014), Wind (25th August 2014)

27. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,586 times in 5,817 posts

Great.Dennis...But I don't want your love
    It's not something you get only if you want it - it's not just allocated to those "deemed worthy."

What I will withdraw is my participation in this thread, as it's obvious you're not going to respond to what I wrote about the term "liberal" and why using that term destroys the premise of the question in the thread title.

Something to ponder: Is drone bombing "liberal", "neo-liberal", "conservative", or "neo-conservative?" Does it change depending on the whether the puppet in the Oval Office has a "D" or an "R" tattooed on their butt cheek? How about siding with Monsanto in their quest to take over the world's food supply by genetically modifying and patenting seeds? Is siding with that "liberal", "neo-liberal", "conservative", or "neo-conservative?" Is aiding and abetting the Big Energy Mafia's suppression of pollution free (and or simply "free") energy "liberal", "neo-liberal", "conservative", or "neo-conservative?" Are you catching on yet that these labels are as hollow as a campaign promise, that these labels are used to manipulate us, that the exact same actions performed by your political enemy are labeled with whichever word/phrase you want and that word/phrase is made pejorative? If you want to talk about issues, talk about issues, not meaningless labels.

Dennis

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Agape (24th August 2014), Blacklight43 (24th August 2014), bruno dante (24th August 2014), East Sun (24th August 2014), Frank V (24th August 2014), Jake (24th August 2014), johnf (24th August 2014), Octavusprime (25th August 2014), Robin (24th August 2014), Roisin (24th August 2014), Sophocles (24th August 2014), Wind (25th August 2014)

29. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,581 times in 1,719 posts

You're needed here Dennis. Don't be bothered by a few criticisms. Speak your truth as you see it.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

Frank V (24th August 2014), Jake (24th August 2014), johnf (24th August 2014), Octavusprime (25th August 2014), Roisin (24th August 2014), Wind (25th August 2014)

31. Link to Post #37
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    , the same way I refused to go read something that attempted to substantiate the thread title.
    Great.Dennis...But I don't want your love . .......But at least I know that you think you know something that you don't...
    Great, Phil,, you just pissed away one of the greatest minds on this forum. You don't really want a discussion, you just want an argument. And a one sided on, at that.

To Whom it may concern!! This article is a solicitation of a book called "The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness." The author is SELLING you his bias.

Phil, if you want a debate about liberalism and conservatism,, why are you masking it in BS??? The author of this book is trivializing a serious problem, mental health. He should be ashamed of himself,, IMHO..

You mean to tell us that if the worlds falls apart after a poll shift, or a die off,,, the only thing you are worried about is making sure Republicans are elected?????

Again,, Brilliant..

Quote IMO you have to look beyond the political party system .......
    When you say "You",, do you mean, just US,,,,, or do you include yourself too??? Just wondering, because you opened up with a fairly biased slant regarding mental illness and Liberals... I think you should practice what you preach.. But that may be asking a bit too much.

Mental illness is a REAL issue, Phil. Not one that needs to be exploited, simply because of a political bias. If you want to be political,,,, I'd say that voting for either party, and expecting a difference is pretty close to crazy,,,, no?

Jake.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 4th September 2014 at 21:21. Reason: fix quoting
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

bruno dante (24th August 2014), Dennis Leahy (24th August 2014), Frank V (24th August 2014), johnf (24th August 2014), Octavusprime (25th August 2014), Roisin (24th August 2014)

33. Link to Post #38
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 times in 258 posts

Threads like these make me wish Kurt Vonnegut was still around...maybe even posting on the forum. I think he'd have been wonderful here. But Dennis is a pretty damn good consolation prize. And if you're still giving out some love my friend, I'll take it. God knows I need it.

I'm reminded of the book '1984', the bit where words are being deleted from the dictionary, as new words are invented that can mean one thing and its opposite all at once. I get a splitting headache every time I try to write about 1984, and it's no coincidence. Trying to coherently explain insanity is an exercise in insanity itself. You have to speak the language of the matrix, and I just hate doing that.

Thoughts are language too. I think we can all agree on that. Scramble the language and the thoughts will scramble as well. It's often been called an ingenius plan by our controllers, and maybe it is...but why does it then seem so obviously devious to me? I'm not too terribly bright, and I do not possess xray vision, but I'm staring at the emperors d!ck as we speak. Its impossible to avoid, unfortunately....he's wagging it in all our faces. How is it being missed? Do chemtrails and fluoride cause blindness?

Sigh.

How can we possibly have a reasonable discussion if we can't arrive at a consensus regarding the meanings and disinformation surrounding certain words? Eliminating any word with an ist or ism suffix would be a start. Seems to me it's a process of hacking away at the foliage, bit by bit. OK, I'm done with the machete...who wants it now?

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bruno dante For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (24th August 2014), Frank V (24th August 2014), Jake (24th August 2014), johnf (24th August 2014), Octavusprime (25th August 2014), Roisin (24th August 2014), Sophocles (24th August 2014), Wind (25th August 2014)

35. Link to Post #39
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,364 times in 1,115 posts

I read the majority of the article, it has various examples of the standard types of propaganda.
    I learned these as 8 different types in high school. Once in a civics class, once in a sociology class, second term, which focused on marriage sex, and family.
    The teacher had come up with the eight different approaches the guys would use to get the girls to have sex with them.
    It was hilarious, and of course he had my attention, and between the two classes I have never forgotten the pointers I received, on seeing through presentations like this one above.

Here is a description of the various techniques for those who are interested.

http://shepherdenglish.pbworks.com/f...Assignment.pdf

This article, and probably the book is just one more example of how we are going through a period where propaganda is replacing any honest presentation of facts in society in general, and
    it often has the stamp of legitimacy on it such as a medical degree etc, but there is a blatant scarcity of actual facts from that discipline in these
    various presentations.

Reading the article immediately brought to mind the assertation made by Monsanto about why
    there was no need to test GMO's for safety because the only thing changed in them was the addition of DNA, since food organisms already had DNA, this was obviously a safe practice.
    So we are supposed to completely ignore the obvious complexity of DNA, and the unknowns involved in altering it ,because of this oversimplification of the subject.

Propaganda for, and against many approaches to real human problems is increasing in volume from all directions, the main thrust of it seems to be to prevent large numbers of average people getting together and opposing the elite minority. So there are presentations such as the above attacking conservative views as well. If one really looks at what is behind the words liberal, and conservation, they will find helpful understanding of life coming from both sides, and they are likey to concede that real rational thought and action does include elements of both.
    Just as physical life needs a middle ground type of environment to thrive, human societies
    do as well.
    Real actions as a whole tend to fall somewhere in between the extremes. Extreme conditions are thankfully somewhat rare, and though extreme conditions call for more extreme actons, they are the exception rather than the rule.

The discussion I would like to see more of is, Are extreme political and religious convictions the root causes of many mental illnessse?

I took these classes in 1972-1974, I would be interested in hearing from younger folks and parents how well the facts of propaganda are being taught in schools today.
    The biggest weapon that has been used against the populace is under education, and since the late 60's, early seventies education has been defunded , and usurped by political groups.

Because of that there is a certain danger that large numbers of people will buy into nonsense such as the above.

It would be nice to see discussions like this move out into the general populace, and not just in places like here on Avalon.

John
    "I am fascinated by religion. (That's a completely different thing from believing in it!)" Douglas Adams

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to johnf For This Post:

Agape (25th August 2014), Dennis Leahy (24th August 2014), Frank V (24th August 2014), Gardener (26th August 2014), Octavusprime (25th August 2014), Wind (25th August 2014)

37. Link to Post #40
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 times in 369 posts

I do not see any difference in drone bombings/missile attacks and fully manned aircraft. The trigger is still pulled by a human and the result is the same.

Communism (which is liberalism imo) sounds great, but until each person feels a need to help society as a whole it will not and cannot work. There are simply too many sociopaths, psychopaths, drug damaged brains, religious freaks, and any number of other issues that cause it not to work.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Oouthere For This Post:

Frank V (26th August 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast