+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jack the Ripper unmasked...126 mystery solved by amatuer slueth.....

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Default Jack the Ripper unmasked...126 mystery solved by amatuer slueth.....

Jack the Ripper unmasked: How amateur sleuth used DNA breakthrough to identify
    Britain’s most notorious criminal 126 years after string of terrible murders

new Sunday 7th September 2014 at 10:38 By david-icke

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Jack the Ripper unmasked: How amateur sleuth used DNA
    breakthrough to identify Britain's most notorious criminal 126 years after string of
    terrible murders
    DNA evidence on a shawl found at Ripper murder scene nails killer
    By testing descendants of victim and suspect, identifications were made
    Jack the Ripper has been identified as Polish-born Aaron Kosminski
    Kosminski was a suspect when the Ripper murders took place in 1888
    Hairdresser Kosminski lived in Whitechapel and was later put in an asylum

By Russell Edwards For Mail On Sunday

Published: 22:01, 6 September 2014 | Updated: 23:55, 6 September 2014

‘It is the greatest murder mystery of all time, a puzzle that has perplexed
    criminologists for more than a century and spawned books, films and myriad
    theories ranging from the plausible to the utterly bizarre.

But now, thanks to modern forensic science, The Mail on Sunday can exclusively
    reveal the true identity of Jack the Ripper, the serial killer responsible for at least
    five grisly murders in Whitechapel in East London during the autumn of 1888.

DNA evidence has now shown beyond reasonable doubt which one of six key
    suspects commonly cited in connection with the Ripper’s reign of terror was the
    actual killer – and we reveal his identity

A shawl found by the body of Catherine Eddowes, one of the Ripper’s victims, has
    been analysed and found to contain DNA from her blood as well as DNA from the
    killer.The landmark discovery was made after businessman Russell Edwards, 48,
    bought the shawl at auction and enlisted the help of Dr Jari Louhelainen, a world-
    renowned expert in analysing genetic evidence from historical crime scenes.

Using cutting-edge techniques, Dr Louhelainen was able to extract 126-year-old
    DNA from the material and compare it to DNA from descendants of Eddowes and
    the suspect, with both proving a perfect match.

The revelation puts an end to the fevered speculation over the Ripper’s identity
    which has lasted since his murderous rampage in the most impoverished and
    dangerous streets of London.

In the intervening century, a Jack the Ripper industry has grown up, prompting a
    dizzying array of more than 100 suspects, including Queen Victoria’s grandson –
    Prince Albert Victor, the Duke of Clarence – the post-Impressionist painter Walter
    Sickert, and the former Liberal Prime Minister William Gladstone.

GUILTY: A DNA sample has proven Polish immigrant Aaron Kosminski was Jack the Ripper

It was March 2007, in an auction house in Bury St Edmunds, that I first saw the
    blood-soaked shawl. It was in two surprisingly large sections – the first measuring
    73.5in by 25.5in, the second 24in by 19in – and, despite its stains, far prettier than
    any artefact connected to Jack the Ripper might be expected to be. It was mostly
    blue and dark brown, with a delicate pattern of Michaelmas daisies – red, ochre
    and gold – at either end.

It was said to have been found next to the body of one of the Ripper’s victims,
    Catherine Eddowes, and soaked in her blood. There was no evidence for its
    provenance, although after the auction I obtained a letter from its previous owner
    who claimed his ancestor had been a police officer present at the murder scene and
    had taken it from there.

Yet I knew I wanted to buy the shawl and was prepared to pay a great deal of
    money for it. I hoped somehow to prove that it was genuine. Beyond that, I hadn’t
    considered the possibilities. I certainly had no idea that this flimsy, badly stained,
    and incomplete piece of material would lead to the solution to the most famous
    murder mystery of all time: the identification of Jack the Ripper.

Gruesome: A contemporary engraving of a Jack the Ripper crime scene in London's Whitechapel

When my involvement in the 126-year-old case began, I was just another armchair
    detective, interested enough to conduct my own extensive research after watching
    the Johnny Depp film From Hell in 2001. It piqued my curiosity about the 1888
    killings when five – possibly more – prostitutes were butchered in London’s East End.

Despite massive efforts by the police, the perpetrator evaded capture, spawning
    the mystery which has fuelled countless books, films, TV programmes and tours of
    Whitechapel. Theories about his identity have been virtually limitless, with
    everyone from Prince Albert Victor, the Duke of Clarence, to Lewis Carroll being
    named as possible suspects. As time has passed, the name Jack the Ripper has
    become synonymous with the devil himself; his crimes setting the gruesome
    standard against which other horrific murders are judged.

I joined the armies of those fascinated by the mystery and researching the Ripper
    became a hobby. I visited the National Archives in Kew to view as much of the
    original paperwork as still exists, noting how many of the authors of books
    speculating about the Ripper had not bothered to do this. I was convinced that
    there must be something, somewhere that had been missed.

By 2007, I felt I had exhausted all avenues until I read a newspaper article about
    the sale of a shawl connected to the Ripper case. Its owner, David Melville-
    Hayes,believed it had been in his family’s possession since the murder of Catherine
    Eddowes, when his ancestor, Acting Sergeant Amos Simpson, asked his superiors if
    he could take it home to give to his wife, a dressmaker.

Incredibly, it was stowed without ever being washed, and was handed down from
    David’s great-grandmother, Mary Simpson, to his grandmother, Eliza Smith, and
    then his mother, Eliza Mills, later Hayes.

In 1991, David gave it to Scotland Yard’s Crime Museum, where it was placed in
    storage rather than on display because of the lack of proof of its provenance. In
    2001, David reclaimed it, and it was exhibited at the annual Jack the Ripper
    conference. One forensic test was carried out on it for a Channel 5 documentary in
    2006, using a simple cotton swab from a randomly chosen part of the shawl, but it
    was inconclusive.

Most Ripper experts dismissed it when it came up for auction, but I believed I had
    hit on something no one else had noticed which linked it to the Ripper. The shawl is
    patterned with Michaelmas daisies. Today the Christian feast of Michaelmas is
    archaic, but in Victorian times it was familiar as a quarter day, when rents and
    debts were due.

I discovered there were two dates for it: one, September 29, in the Western
    Christian church and the other, November 8, in the Eastern Orthodox church. With
    a jolt, I realised the two dates coincided precisely with the nights of the last two
    murder dates. September 29 was the night on which Elizabeth Stride and Catherine
    Eddowes were killed, and November 8 was the night of the final, most horrific of
    the murders, that of Mary Jane Kelly.

Found at the scene: Russel Edwards holds the shawl he bought in 2007, allegedly
    handed down from a policeman who took it from the scene, which had the
    incriminating
    DNA on it

I reasoned that it made no sense for Eddowes to have owned the expensive shawl
    herself; this was a woman so poor she had pawned her shoes the day before her
    murder. But could the Ripper have brought the shawl with him and left it as an
    obscure clue about when he was planning to strike next? It was just a hunch, and
    far from proof of anything, but it set me off on my journey.

Before buying it, I spoke to Alan McCormack, the officer in charge of the Crime
    Museum, also known as the Black Museum. He told me the police had always
    believed they knew the identity of the Ripper. Chief Inspector Donald Swanson, the
    officer in charge of the investigation, had named him in his notes: Aaron Kosminski,
    a Polish Jew who had fled to London with his family, escaping the Russian pogroms, in the early 1880s.

Kosminski has always been one of the three most credible suspects. He is often
    described as having been a hairdresser in Whitechapel, the occupation written on
    his admission papers to the workhouse in 1890. What is certain is he was seriously
    mentally ill, probably a paranoid schizophrenic who suffered auditory hallucinations
    and described as a misogynist prone to ‘self-abuse’ – a euphemism for
    masturbation.

McCormack said police did not have enough evidence to convict Kosminski, despite
    identification by a witness, but kept him under 24-hour surveillance until he was
    committed to mental asylums for the rest of his life. I became convinced Kosminski was
    our man, and I was excited at the prospect of proving it. I felt sure that modern science
    would be able to produce real evidence from the stains on the shawl. After a few false
    starts, I found a scientist I hoped could help.

Dr Jari Louhelainen is a leading expert in genetic evidence from historical crime scenes,
    combining his day job as senior lecturer in molecular biology at Liverpool John Moores
    University with working on cold cases for Interpol and other projects. He agreed to
    conduct tests on the shawl in his spare time.

The tests began in 2011, when Jari used special photographic analysis to establish what
    the stains were.

Using an infrared camera, he was able to tell me the dark stains were not just blood,
    but consistent with arterial blood spatter caused by slashing – exactly the grim death
    Catherine Eddowes had met.

But the next revelation was the most heart-stopping. Under UV photography, a set of
    fluorescent stains showed up which Jari said had the characteristics of semen. I’d never
    expected to find evidence of the Ripper himself, so this was thrilling, although Jari
    cautioned me that more testing was required before any conclusions could be drawn.

Obsession: Russell Edwards points to Hambury Street where one of the murders took place

He also found evidence of split body parts during the frenzied attack. One of
    Eddowes’ kidneys was removed by her murderer, and later in his research Jari
    managed to identify the presence of what he believed to be a kidney cell.

It was impossible to extract DNA from the stains on the shawl using the method
    employed in current cases, in which swabs are taken. The samples were just too old.

Instead, he used a method he called ‘vacuuming’, using a pipette filled with a
    special ‘buffering’ liquid that removed the genetic material in the cloth without
    damaging it.

As a non-scientist, I found myself in a new world as Jari warned that it would also
    be impossible to use genomic DNA, which is used in fresh cases and contains a
    human’s entire genetic data, because over time it would have become fragmented.

But he explained it would be possible to use mitochondrial DNA instead. It is passed
    down exclusively through the female line, is much more abundant than genomic
    DNA, and survives far better.

This meant that in order to give us something to test against, I had to trace a direct
    descendant through the female line of Catherine Eddowes. Luckily, a woman named
    Karen Miller, the three-times great-granddaughter of Eddowes, had featured in a
    documentary about the Ripper’s victims, and agreed to provide a sample of her DNA.

Jari managed to get six complete DNA profiles from the shawl, and when he tested
    them against Karen’s they were a perfect match.

It was an amazing breakthrough. We now knew that the shawl was authentic, and
    was at the scene of the crime in September 1888, and had the victim’s blood on it.
    On its own, this made it the single most important artefact in Ripper history:
    nothing else has ever been linked scientifically to the scene of any of the crimes.

Months of research on the shawl, including analysing the dyes used, had proved
    that it was made in Eastern Europe in the early 19th Century. Now it was time to
    attempt to prove that it contained the killer’s DNA.

The suspects: The long line of men believed to be Jack the Ripper include, from left to
    right, Prince Albert Victor, Edward VII's son, allegedly driven by syphilis-induced
    madness, Queen Victoria's doctor, a Jewish shoemaker

Jari used the same extraction method on the semen traces on the shawl, warning that
    the likelihood of sperm lasting all that time was very slim. He enlisted the help of Dr
    David Miller, a world expert on the subject, and in 2012 they made another incredible
    breakthrough when they found surviving cells. They were from the epithelium, a type of
    tissue which coats organs. In this case, it was likely to have come from the urethra
    during ejaculation.

Kosminski was 23 when the murders took place, and living with his two brothers and a
    sister in Greenfield Street, just 200 yards from where the third victim, Elizabeth Stride,
    was killed. As a key suspect, his life story has long been known, but I also researched
    his family. Eventually, we tracked down a young woman whose identity I am protecting
    – a British descendant of Kosminski’s sister, Matilda, who would share his mitochondrial
    DNA. She provided me with swabs from the inside of her mouth.

Amplifying and sequencing the DNA from the cells found on the shawl took months of
    painstaking, innovative work. By that point, my excitement had reached fever-pitch.
    And when the email finally arrived telling me Jari had found a perfect match, I was
    overwhelmed. Seven years after I bought the shawl, we had nailed Aaron Kosminski.

As a scientist, Jari is naturally cautious, unwilling to let his imagination run away
    without testing every minute element, but even he declared the finding ‘one hell of a
    masterpiece’. I celebrated by visiting the East End, wandering the streets where
    Kosminski lived, worked and committed his despicable crimes, feeling a sense of
    euphoria but also disbelief that we had unmasked the Ripper.

Kosminski was not a member of the Royal Family, or an eminent surgeon or politician.
    Serial killers rarely are. Instead, he was a pathetic creature, a lunatic who achieved
    sexual satisfaction from slashing women to death in the most brutal manner. He died in
    Leavesden Asylum from gangrene at the age of 53, weighing just 7st.

No doubt a slew of books and films will now emerge to speculate on his personality and
    motivation. I have no wish to do so. I wanted to provide real answers using scientific
    evidence, and I’m overwhelmed that 126 years on, I have solved the mystery.

Shawl that nailed Polish lunatic Aaron Kosminski and the forensic expert that made the
    critical match

By Dr Jari Louhelainen

Evidence: Russell points to the part of the shawl where DNA was found

When Russell Edwards first approached me in 2011, I wasn’t aware of the massive
    levels of interest in the Ripper case, as I’m a scientist originally from Finland.

But by early this year, when I realised we were on the verge of making a big discovery,
    working on the shawl had taken over my life, occupying me from early in the morning
    until late at night.

It has taken a great deal of hard work, using cutting-edge scientific techniques which
    would not have been possible five years ago.

To extract DNA samples from the stains on the shawl, I used a technique I developed
    myself, which I call ‘vacuuming’ – to pull the original genetic material from the depths
    of the cloth.

I filled a sterile pipette with a liquid ‘buffer’, a solution known to stabilise the cells and
    DNA, and injected it into the cloth to dissolve the material trapped in the weave of the
    fabric without damaging the cells, then sucked it out.

I needed to sequence the DNA found in the stains on the shawl, which means mapping
    the DNA by determining the exact order of the bases in a strand. I used polymerase
    chain reaction, a technique which allows millions of exact copies of the DNA to be
    made, enough for sequencing.

When I tested the resulting DNA profiles against the DNA taken from swabs from
    Catherine Eddowes’s descendant, they were a match.

I used the same extraction method on the stains which had characteristics of seminal fluid.

Dr David Miller found epithelial cells – which line cavities and organs – much to our
    surprise, as we were not expecting to find anything usable after 126 years.

Then I used a new process called whole genome amplification to copy the DNA 500
    million-fold and allow it to be profiled.

Once I had the profile, I could compare it to that of the female descendant of
    Kosminski’s sister, who had given us a sample of her DNA swabbed from inside her mouth.

The first strand of DNA showed a 99.2 per cent match, as the analysis instrument could
    not determine the sequence of the missing 0.8 per cent fragment of DNA. On testing
    the second strand, we achieved a perfect 100 per cent match.

Because of the genome amplification technique, I was also able to ascertain the ethnic
    and geographical background of the DNA I extracted. It was of a type known as the
    haplogroup T1a1, common in people of Russian Jewish ethnicity. I was even able to
    establish that he had dark hair.

Now that it’s over, I’m excited and proud of what we’ve achieved, and satisfied that we
    have established, as far as we possibly can, that Aaron Kosminski is the culprit.

Dr Jari Louhelainen is a senior lecturer in molecular biology at Liverpool John Moores University and an expert in historic cold-case forensic research.

© Russell Edwards 2014

Naming Jack The Ripper, by Russell Edwards, will be published by Sidgwick & Jackson on September 9, priced £16.99.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3CczokGih
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 7th September 2014 at 11:37.

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

aheb (8th September 2014), aranuk (7th September 2014), Axman (7th September 2014), Curt (7th September 2014), DeDukshyn (7th September 2014), dianna (7th September 2014), etheric underground (7th September 2014), Gardener (7th September 2014), gardener2 (7th September 2014), giovonni (7th September 2014), GoodETxSG (8th September 2014), Jake (7th September 2014), Joanne Shepard (8th September 2014), Lettherebelight (7th September 2014), linksplatinum (7th September 2014), Matt P (7th September 2014), Matthew (28th August 2023), Mike Gorman (7th September 2014), Nasu (8th September 2014), Pam (7th September 2014), raregem (7th September 2014), Referee (7th September 2014), Selene (7th September 2014), selinam (7th September 2014), toppy (7th September 2014), truth4me (7th September 2014), yelik (7th September 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Default Re: Jack the Ripper unmasked...126 mystery solved by amatuer slueth.....

That was really a fun read!!!!Thanks, Cidersomerset.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Cidersomerset (7th September 2014), Jake (7th September 2014), Matt P (7th September 2014), Matthew (28th August 2023), Nasu (8th September 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Jamaica Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 times in 444 posts

Default Re: Jack the Ripper unmasked...126 mystery solved by amatuer slueth.....

While it may prove to be his DNA on the shawl, it does not prove he was the murderer. It could have just come from (sorry) one of the prostitute's "Johns" and the shawl was used to, well, you know, clean up. Would a hairdresser be able to perform postmortem surgical procedures with the precision that 'Ripper' was said to have done?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jake gittes For This Post:

Cidersomerset (7th September 2014), Curt (7th September 2014), selinam (7th September 2014), SKAWF (8th September 2014), Spellbound (7th September 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Would a hairdresser be able to perform postmortem surgical procedures with the precision that 'Ripper' was said to have done?
    Before there were many doctors available, the Barber/Surgeon was a combined profession especially in the lower class's, Although I'm not
    sure if they were still around in this period ?......

He may of had some medical training before coming to England ? But the
    two professions seemed to have been separated well before 1890.....

Barbers in the British Isles in the Middle Ages[edit]

Formal recognition of their skills (in England at least) goes back to 1540,[2] when
    the Fellowship of Surgeons (who existed as a distinct profession, but were still
    not "Doctors/Physicians" for reasons including that, as a trade, they were trained
    by apprenticeship rather than academically) merged with the Company of Barbers,
    a London livery company, to form the Company of Barber-Surgeons. However, the
    trade was gradually put under pressure by the medical profession and in 1745, the
    surgeons split from the Barbers' Company (which still exists) to form the Company
    of Surgeons. In 1800 a Royal Charter was granted to this company and the Royal
    College of Surgeons in London came into being (later it was renamed to cover all of
    England – equivalent Colleges exist for Scotland and Ireland as well as many of the
    old UK colonies, e.g. Canada).[3]

Few traces of barbers' links with the surgical side of the medical profession remain.
    One is the traditional red and white barber's pole, or a modified instrument from a
    blacksmith, which is said to represent the blood and bandages associated with their
    older role. Another link is the British use of the title "Mr" rather than "Dr" by
    surgeons (when they become qualified as surgeons by e.g. the award of an MRCS
    or FRCS diploma). This dates back to the days when surgeons did not have a
    university education (let alone a doctorate); this link with the past is still retained
    despite the fact that all surgeons now have to gain a basic medical degree and
    doctorate (as well as undergoing several more years training in surgery) – they no
    longer perform haircuts, a task the barbers have retained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_surgeon
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 7th September 2014 at 16:23.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Curt (7th September 2014), etheric underground (7th September 2014), Nasu (8th September 2014), selinam (7th September 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,900 times in 1,039 posts

It seems an interestingly timed revelation with all the bad press 'the Jews' are getting these days- and in light of what's currently happening in Israel. I'd also wonder whether this guy mightn't have just been a 'john' - as Jake pointed out.

Having said all that, this is pretty fascinating evidence and it might very well point to this man's guilt. It would be odd if one of the prime suspect's DNA just happened to have been found on the victim's clothing without him very likely being guilty.

This is all very interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Curt; 7th September 2014 at 16:31.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Post:

Cidersomerset (7th September 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote It seems an interestingly timed revelation with all the bad press 'the Jews' are getting these days- and in light of what's currently happening in Israel. I'd also wonder whether this guy mightn't have just been a 'john' - as Jake pointed out.

Having said all that, this is pretty fascinating evidence and it might very well point to this man's guilt. It would be odd if one of the prime suspect's DNA just happened to have been found on the victim's clothing without him very likely being guilty.

This is all very interesting stuff.
    My immediate thought was Polish immigrant which is a
    very touchy subject with all the East Europeans who
    have flooded the job market here for the past few years.
    Then add Jew as well and we have the ultimate 'baddy'
    profile over here at the moment. I think that is
    coincidence..LOL..Which is why Nigal Farage is the
    flavour of the month , but if you read thread below
    he is in the US at the moment doing interviews
    with Fox news and having a private meeting with
    Ruport Murdoch......

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...lticulturalism

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Curt (7th September 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Video version.......

Identity of Jack The Ripper finally ‘revealed’ with the help of DNA evidence

Published on 7 Sep 2014

Jack the Ripper unmasked: How amateur sleuth used DNA breakthrough
    to identify Britain's most notorious criminal 126 years after string of terrible murders

DNA evidence on a shawl found at Ripper murder scene nails killer
    By testing descendants of victim and suspect, identifications were made
    Jack the Ripper has been identified as Polish-born Aaron Kosminski
    Kosminski was a suspect when the Ripper murders took place in 1888
    Hairdresser Kosminski lived in Whitechapel and was later put in an asylum

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Nasu (8th September 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,190 times in 1,661 posts

the UK Daily Mail's report is complete clap-trap;

come on folks, use LOGIC-

if/IF the true identity of the Ripper is a 'commoner' of some sort, why is his/her identity sealed forever by Scotland Yard?!-

read Scotsman John Hamer's "The Falsification of History" for starters and his chapter on Jack the Ripper, just for starters;

the UK Daily Mail article (complete with a bogus lithograph of one of his victims) fails to mention is a specific MOTIVE (other than random kookiness) behind the atrocities but Hamer does;

if one hasn't read the book I'll give you a hint: Dr. Gull was actually the 'Ripper' (but he wasn't acting alone- he was just the one cutting out their genitals among many other things) and Queen Victoria's art teacher for her grandchildren Walter Sickert was being black-mailed by all of the victims- long story- read the book-

Larry

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

Cidersomerset (8th September 2014), Nasu (8th September 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 times in 1,088 posts

I don't see any mention of them testing the descendants of the other suspects, which is od, don't you think? It means, based on his hunch of that suspect, he went forward, luckily he found exactly what he was looking for.. Is it just me or is this quite a big coincidence?... Great post... N

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

Cidersomerset (8th September 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,799 times in 666 posts

Sapere aude

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Taurean For This Post:

Cidersomerset (8th September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread