+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Rosicrucianism

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member Skyhaven's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,373 times in 1,056 posts

Default Rosicrucianism and the works of Rudolf Steiner

Was watching this tonight, found it to be very interesting so I thought I'd share this here.

Last edited by Skyhaven; 30th September 2014 at 19:15.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

A Voice from the Mountains (30th September 2014), annacherie (20th September 2014), Camilo (17th September 2014), Chip (18th September 2014), chocolate (19th September 2014), Curt (24th September 2014), GarethBKK (19th September 2014), heyokah (7th October 2014), Jayke (17th September 2014), JRS (18th September 2014), Krist (19th September 2014), Lancelot (21st September 2014), linksplatinum (17th September 2014), marique3652 (18th September 2014), Mike Gorman (19th September 2014), Operator (18th September 2014), poetbil (17th September 2014), Robin (19th September 2014), silverfish (22nd September 2014), Star Tsar (30th September 2014), TargeT (17th September 2014), Valle (18th September 2014), william r sanford72 (17th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014), Zampano (22nd September 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Sweden Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Rosicrucianism

Thanks a lot!
    It answered a lot of questions for me.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valle For This Post:

annacherie (20th September 2014), chocolate (19th September 2014), Skyhaven (18th September 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

8 minutes in can tell this is going to be good. Thank you for this.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BF88 For This Post:

annacherie (20th September 2014), chocolate (19th September 2014), lastlegs (19th September 2014), Skyhaven (18th September 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Wales Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thanks, Skyhaven. This is perhaps the best overview of Rudolf Steiner's work I've ever come across. Dr Robert j. Gilbert is immensely eloquent and knowledgeable. The way he illustrates with examples from across all spiritual movements from Egypt to Gurdjieff is impressive.

Watching video lectures is not my preferred way of learning. I not only watched this 2-hour lecture without break, but now want to watch it again.

I looked up Dr Robert, and found the person, organisation and their website intriguing: http://vesica.org/about-us

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GarethBKK For This Post:

annacherie (20th September 2014), chocolate (19th September 2014), heyokah (7th October 2014), Skyhaven (19th September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Zampano (25th September 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

I've actually been wanting to watch this video for some time now, but for some reason no sound ever comes out of it. My speakers work just fine and I can watch any other video with no sound problems...but this video doesn't work. I'm really confused by this...

Is nobody else having sound problems with this video...?

EDIT: I figured it out. I guess the volume is extremely low for this video...
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

annacherie (20th September 2014), chocolate (19th September 2014), Skyhaven (19th September 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by SamwiseTheBrave (here)
    I've actually been wanting to watch this video for some time now, but for some reason no sound ever comes out of it. My speakers work just fine and I can watch any other video with no sound problems...but this video doesn't work. I'm really confused by this...

Is nobody else having sound problems with this video...?

EDIT: I figured it out. I guess the volume is extremely low for this video...
    Hi Sam,

I only get sound through the left side of my headphones, maybe your left speaker isn't working (properly).

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GarethBKK (here)
    Thanks, Skyhaven. This is perhaps the best overview of Rudolf Steiner's work I've ever come across. Dr Robert j. Gilbert is immensely eloquent and knowledgeable. The way he illustrates with examples from across all spiritual movements from Egypt to Gurdjieff is impressive.

Watching video lectures is not my preferred way of learning. I not only watched this 2-hour lecture without break, but now want to watch it again.

I looked up Dr Robert, and found the person, organisation and their website intriguing: http://vesica.org/about-us
    Thanks for the link Gareth, I will look into that. I am also somehow very intrigued by this, not that I haven't heard of this content before, but somehow this is so condensed with subjects I resonate with that I keep coming back to this. Does anyone have a good source of Rudolf Steiner's work?
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 19th September 2014 at 08:17.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

chocolate (19th September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), yuhui (23rd September 2014)

14. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

Hi Skyhaven,
    Great Thread. I have been waiting for someone to do it for a long time, at least ever since I realized I get 'energized' by what others consider 'not very interesting' to ponder.

The Rudolf Steiner Archive
    I have explored it to a point, and I noticed a lot of his books and articles are even converted to be used on a kindle device. It is a bit overwhelming with its volume, but one can take it one book at a time.
    There are also video series based on some of his works, which I have mentioned elsewhere.

I also consider the work of Max Heindel very valuable. Here is one of his books: The Rosicrucian Mysteries An Elementary Exposition of Their Secret Teachings
    The fact that it is sold for free doesn't necessarily mean it is of a low quality, quite the opposite. I have read it from start to end, and it did have its importance in the unfolding my own personal understanding.

I usually restrain myself from speaking much about the teachings of the Rosy Cross society, for many reasons, but I hope with this thread more people will decide to take a look deeper in what other had or have to say about the 'world'.
    Originally I researched the topic because of a post done from TraineeHuman in one of his threads.

From WIKI:
    Rosicrucianism is a philosophical secret society said to have been founded in late medieval Germany by Christian Rosenkreuz. It holds a doctrine or theology "built on esoteric truths of the ancient past", which, "concealed from the average man, provide insight into nature, the physical universe and the spiritual realm."
    Rosicrucianism is symbolized by the Rosy Cross.
    Last edited by chocolate; 19th September 2014 at 12:16.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

annacherie (20th September 2014), cursichella1 (10th October 2014), Skyhaven (19th September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (19th September 2014)

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by chocolate (here)
    Hi Skyhaven,
    Great Thread. I have been waiting for someone to do it for a long time, at least ever since I realized I get 'energized' by what others consider 'not very interesting' to ponder.

The Rudolf Steiner Archive
    I have explored it to a point, and I noticed a lot of his books and articles are even converted to be used on a kindle device. It is a bit overwhelming with its volume, but one can take it one book at a time.
    There are also video series based on some of his works, which I have mentioned elsewhere.

I also consider the work of Max Heindel very valuable. Here is one of his books: The Rosicrucian Mysteries An Elementary Exposition of Their Secret Teachings
    The fact that it is sold for free doesn't necessarily mean it is of a low quality, quite the opposite. I have read it from start to end, and it did have its importance in the unfolding my own personal understanding.

I usually restrain myself from speaking much about the teachings of the Rosy Cross society, for many reasons, but I hope with this thread more people will decide to take a look deeper in what other had or have to say about the 'world'.
    Originally I researched the topic because of a post done from TraineeHuman in one of his threads.

From WIKI:
    Rosicrucianism is a philosophical secret society said to have been founded in late medieval Germany by Christian Rosenkreuz. It holds a doctrine or theology "built on esoteric truths of the ancient past", which, "concealed from the average man, provide insight into nature, the physical universe and the spiritual realm."
    Rosicrucianism is symbolized by the Rosy Cross.
    Hi Chocolate,

Thanks a lot! Mr. Gilbert pointed out in the video above that some prerequisite knowledge is needed to understand his writings fully. Hopefully its not a too big of an obstacle to be able to get into this.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

chocolate (20th September 2014)

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member annacherie's Avatar
    Thanks

Wonderful video thanks so much for posting! With all the recent discussion about OBE I'm wondering how one would discern whether their own level of consciousness development is sufficient to endeavoring in astral travel for the exercising of that muscle (so to speak) to be constructive?

This video describes the astral plane to be within us yet also defined by parameters which brings me to the query of astral travel extending into realms of higher frequencies.
    Last edited by annacherie; 20th September 2014 at 14:28.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to annacherie For This Post:

chocolate (20th September 2014), Skyhaven (20th September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (21st September 2014)

20. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Hi annacherie,

Good question... I don't know much about astral travel. Maybe someone else can answer this?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

chocolate (20th September 2014)

22. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Annacherie, I was hoping the question about THAT travel will arise sooner rather than later. !
    From what I have personally experienced, it is BEST to leave things on their NATURAL rhythm and occurrence. If you have to have this experience you will have it happen naturally without trying.
    The human body as it is right now is the best one can have for their personal development and protection. Once we have existed consciously in both worlds, the physical and the immaterial, but with the current state of the universe we occupy only those who actually know how to and where to go need to be doing so. Otherwise there is a great chance of receiving some not very beneficial influences and lessons, some quite dramatic.
    I was once really wanting to be able to do it (as I assume you are), just so that I can visit many architectural buildings and other sites which I haven't visited in real life. My reasons were purely pragmatic. And I did manage to accomplish some travels with help from others, only to see that it is so much easy to just end up someplace you don't know where, how and what to do next.

Skyhaven, I benefited greatly from reading the book by Max Heindel at first (the one I linked above), and after that I listened to the videos about Rudolf Steiner's POV on life's history. I can recommend also Teachings of an Initiate.

Last edited by chocolate; 29th September 2014 at 15:56.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

Skyhaven (20th September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (20th September 2014)

24. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I thought I should give some more links here (( for those who fear not )):

The Rosicrucian Fellowship

http://hermetic.com/rosicrucianism/

http://www.hermetics.org/articles/R+C_Martinist.html

A Short History of the Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross
    The Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross is an ancient brotherhood and sisterhood of hermetic wisdom, alchemical, mystical, theosophical and spiritual knowledge.
    The Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross or Rosicrucians traces its founding to the year 1407 by our beloved Father Christian Rosenkreutz and a small band of disciples.

Christian Rosenkreutz had received his initiation in the Middle East from "men of the unseen" or elders of the Magi. The Magi were the first to recognize Christ and were the guardians of the old wisdom. They had survived as an underground brotherhood down through the centuries despite fierce persecution from the self-righteous. They had witnessed the corruption of faith and churches, and often masked themselves under the cloak of Sufism under Islam.

It is from the Magi that we get our words image, imagination and magic, which means the "science of the magi." And it was from the Magian elders that Christian Rosenkreutz received the secret traditions of a wisdom older than Egypt.
    Believed to have been given by God to the first man Adam, it was passed down through Moses and Solomon. The arcane wisdom had been known and taught by Jesus Christ to the Apostles and the first disciples. It had been kept secret and revealed to only a few over the course of the centuries. This knowledge, the esoteric or inner teachings (as opposed to the exoteric or outward teachings), was regarded as too sacred to be revealed to any but an initiated few. Only those who had been tried and tested over time could be entrusted with such powerful knowledge.

The existence of the Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross, however, did not become public knowledge until some two hundred years later with the publication of the Fama Fraternitatis and the Confessio Fraternitatis. It is from these two core documents that we receive the foundation of Rosicrucian teaching and activity. They remain the standard by which one may discern authentic Rosicrucianism amidst the plethora of self-styled 'Rosicrucian' groups.

Within the pages of these two publications may be discerned in code the source of their illuminating wisdom, the true identity of Christian Rosenkreutz and the circumstances surrounding the origin, the mission and the future destiny of the Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross.

The subjects of much misinterpretation since, both documents were couched in the allegorical and symbolic language of the time, to avoid the intense persecution of both State and Church that had cost the Knights Templar, the Cathars and many others so dearly.

They told the story of Christian Rosencreutz:
    "Legendary German hero of the Fama Fraternitas and Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz of Andrea (q.v.), and founder of the Rosicrucians. Crowley considered Christian Rosencreutz to have been a man, under a different name, who was a Master of the Temple. See Part III of The Heart of the Master.

The Fama Fraternitatis (1614) deals with the life of "the most godly and highly illuminated father, our brother C.R." who spent his childhood in a cloister, learning Greek, Latin and medicine, traveled to Damascus as a youth where he learned physics and mathematics, then to Fez, where he learned Qabalah, magic and alchemy.

From Fez, he traveled to Spain and attempted to teach, but his teachings were rejected. He returned to Germany and established a school, and began to accept students from his old cloister; this was the beginning of the Fraternity of the Rose Cross. Ultimately, the school consisted of eight brethren, and when they had perfected their doctrines and methods, they decided to disperse into all countries to disseminate their teachings. They agreed on six principles: 1. That none of them should profess any other thing than to cure the sick, and that gratis; 2. None of them should be constrained to wear one certain kind of habit, but therein to follow the custom of the country; 3. That every year on the day C. they should meet together in the house S. Spiritus, or write the cause of their absence; 4. Every brother should look about for a worthy person, who after his decease, might succeed him; 5. The word C.R. should be their seal, mark, and character; and 6. The Fraternity should remain secret one hundred years.

Brother R.C. died at the age of 106. His tomb was discovered 120 years later, in 1604, by some of the successors of the brothers who had returned to the original building to make repairs. The tomb was opened, and inside was discovered a seven-sided vault with a central, cylindrical altar. Upon moving the altar aside, they discovered a brass plate, which they removed, and discovered the body of Brother C.R.C., "whole and unconsumed, with all his ornaments and attires."

, a monk who followed in the footsteps of the Knights Templar, journeying to the East in search of wisdom. He sought the source of the Disciplina Arcani, the arcane discipline or secret teaching of the Hidden Church of the Graal, the rose upon the cross.

His yearning for truth had brought him to the attention of the ancient Hermetic brotherhood of the Magi, to whom he was drawn as a bee to honey. After being initiated and instructed by them, he was charged with the mission of establishing a branch of the order in Europe, to which he returned. Gathering a small group of disciples around him, Father Rosenkreuz organized the Brotherhood of the Rosy Cross for the perpetuation of the ancient wisdom and mysteries. In time the Brotherhood would come to be called "Rosicrucian."

One of the aims of the original Rosicrucians was a general Reformation of the social order and especially the Church. Knowing that the earthly paradise or utopian vision could not be realized by man alone without God, they envisioned a harmony of authentic Protestant and Catholic beliefs alchemically fused into a restoration of the primitive apostolic or "Graal" Church.

Though this vision has yet to be realized, it remains an essential part of the Brotherhood's mission to this day. Rosicrucianism is the secret teaching within religion and while it is not to be understood as a religion in the traditionally strict and narrow use of the term, it is the very spirit and heart of it.

"Rosicrucianism is a religion and every genuine Rosicrucian is 'a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek' (Hebrews 5:6)" – Willy Schrodter, A Rosicrucian Notebook

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

annacherie (28th September 2014), Skyhaven (21st September 2014), Star Tsar (2nd October 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (21st September 2014)

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Thanks again chocolate... yesterday I started reading "Knowledge of the Higher Worlds" by Rudolf Steiner. I think I am going like this one too. These are some of the chapter titles:

I. How Is Knowledge of the High Worlds Attained?
    II. The Stages of Initiation
    o Preparation
    o Enlightenment
    o The Control of Thoughts and Feelings
    III. Initiation
    IV. Some Practical Aspects
    V. The Conditions of Esoteric Training
    VI. Some Results of Initiation
    VII. The Transformation of Dream Life
    VIII. The Continuity of Consciousness
    IX. The Splitting of the Human Personality
    during Spiritual Training
    X. The Guardian of the Threshold
    XI. Life and Death. The Greater Guardian
    of the Threshold

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

annacherie (28th September 2014), chocolate (22nd September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (21st September 2014)

28. Link to Post #15
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Thanks

I previously thought Rosicrucianism was a branch of Catholicism watching this, seems to be a legitimate body of work for 'hidden science' or whatever you wish to call it, i will be digging deeper on this.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BF88 For This Post:

chocolate (22nd September 2014), Skyhaven (22nd September 2014), Wind (22nd September 2014)

30. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

I am going to post some daily snippets of "Knowledge of the Higher Worlds" here that resonates with me. I don't like to read dense information too fast, so this daily snippet thing might work for me... lets see how this goes.

We need only bear in mind how, in ordinary life, we regard the
    experiences and actions of others quite differently from our own. This
    cannot be otherwise, for we are interwoven with our own actions and
    experiences, whereas those of others we only contemplate. Our aim in
    these moments of seclusion must be so to contemplate and judge our own
    actions and experiences as though they applied not to ourselves but to
    some other person. Suppose, for example, a heavy misfortune befalls us.
    How different would be our attitude toward a similar misfortune had it
    befallen our neighbor. This attitude cannot be blamed as unjustifiable; it is
    part of human nature, and applies equally to exceptional circumstances
    and to the daily affairs of life. The student must seek the power of
    confronting himself, at certain times, as a stranger. He must stand before
    himself with the inner tranquility of a judge. When this is attained, our
    own experiences present themselves in a new light. As long as we are
    interwoven with them and stand, as it were, within them, we cling to the
    non-essential just as much as to the essential. If we attain the calm inner
    survey, the essential is severed from the non-essential. Sorrow and joy,
    every thought, every resolve, appear different when we confront ourselves
    in this way.
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 22nd September 2014 at 14:09.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

annacherie (28th September 2014), chocolate (22nd September 2014), Mare (23rd September 2014), spizella (22nd September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (22nd September 2014)

32. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

What you have cited, Skyhaven, is what is also described as one of the techniques in the teachings of the rosy cross in order to become conscious of your daily life; as an observation procedure before going to sleep. Others may relate this to a type of meditation, or 'being the observer', here and now.

For all who haven't dealt with the rosy cross material, it speaks of the same hermetic-type of a teaching, as ALL religion and spiritual practices ( that I know of ) describe in some form and to some extend.

I will follow here the daily snippets. Thank you.

[ PS. When I read the words from the work, I can hear the voice of the speaker who reads R.S. 's work in the audio/youtube files. I find it very calming, and it puts me in the right state of mind. ]
    Last edited by chocolate; 22nd September 2014 at 17:54.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

annacherie (28th September 2014), Skyhaven (22nd September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (22nd September 2014)

34. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Quote For all who haven't dealt with the rosy cross material, it speaks of the same hermetic-type of a teaching, as ALL religion and spiritual practices ( that I know of ) describe in some form and to some extend.
    Actually I'm not sure Steiner categorized his works as Rosicrustic... i've read 'Anthroposophy' a few times as a category while skimming some of the material. But he's also known in the circles of Theosophy, but those are just names right?

I also don't expect to read something completely new about the metaphysical state of the universe, but its nice to learn some techniques/tools from a man who has clearly walked an interesting path from which undoubtedly can be learned a thing or two.
    Last edited by Skyhaven; 22nd September 2014 at 19:49.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

chocolate (23rd September 2014), william r sanford72 (22nd September 2014), Wind (22nd September 2014)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

For every human being bears a higher man within himself besides what we
    may call the work-a-day man. This higher man remains hidden until he is
    awakened. And each human being can himself alone awaken this higher
    being within himself. As long as this higher being is not awakened, the
    higher faculties slumbering in every human being, and leading to
    supersensible knowledge, will remain concealed. The student must resolve
    to persevere in the strict and earnest observation of the rule here given, so
    long as he does not feel within himself the fruits of this inner tranquility.
    To all who thus persevere the day will come when spiritual light will
    envelop them, and a new world will be revealed to an organ of sight of
    whose presence within them they were never aware.

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skyhaven For This Post:

annacherie (28th September 2014), chocolate (23rd September 2014), Joey (23rd September 2014), william r sanford72 (27th September 2014), Wind (23rd September 2014)

38. Link to Post #20
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Skyhaven (here)
    Quote For all who haven't dealt with the rosy cross material, it speaks of the same hermetic-type of a teaching, as ALL religion and spiritual practices ( that I know of ) describe in some form and to some extend.
    Actually I'm not sure Steiner categorized his works as Rosicrustic...
    I just made the parallel between the two.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

annacherie (28th September 2014), Skyhaven (23rd September 2014), william r sanford72 (27th September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast