Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Referendum - An emotional toll

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,622 times in 602 posts

Default Scottish Referendum - An emotional toll

Hi

I just wanted to share my experiences of the last few weeks which have left me emotionally exhausted, stressed and quite unhappy. It’s a bit of a monologue but may be of interest to “spectators” to the process.

I say that while at at the same time fully endorsing the whole event - it's an incredible thing to live through and a hugely successful debate. I don't think I've ever seen politics mean so much to ordinary people in my entire life.

Full disclosure: I'm a "Yesser". Not because I hate England - I love it, but because I think societies are richer when they diversify. In my opinion they can't diversify culturally without being able to diversify politically. I really hated seeing the bulldozing of all the heavy industries from Scotland when the rest of the world continued to build ships and make steel.

Then when Tony Blair was elected, great hope turned to great shame with all the lying and corruption over middle East invasions. Then the final nail in the coffin with Gordon Brown presiding over the biggest financial catastrophe in living memory (and having the gall to tell Scottish voters today that they are "walking into a trap". The guy is a bona fide psychopath that he can do that without a conscience in my opinion).

Anyway, the main source of the stress is that one by one I discovered that about 5 of my closest friends and professional acquaintances are quite fervent "No"ers. This really took me by surprise and was a bit of a body blow. Don't worry - we're not going to fall out or anything - we have been careful to exchange views in a measured way, but beneath the surface you can feel the tension and resentment. In particular, my best mate’s wife is English and she hates the independence movement with a passion. I find it very difficult to exchange reasoned views in that kind of atmosphere. I'd probably say this is the worst I've felt in a year or too and it's lasted for an entire month now which is very rare for me. A combination of isolation, anticipation and worry about another “slap down” for the Scots in the national media after a No result.

I’m not even living in the UK right now but I spoke to my sister the other night and she says everyone’s on a knife edge. People are working so hard for this but there are passionate and legitimate views on both sides. They are expecting a huge turnout - 90% is being talked of which is unheard of. The “#indyref” twitter feed is running at about 200 tweets per minute at peak times. The disappointment for one or other side is going to be huge. Expectations are massive simply because it's so close (at least in the polls - we may get hammered in the actual vote).

Looking forward though, I really hope this changes the political landscape in the UK forever and drives a great big stake through the heart of the hitherto political class. Make no mistake, they are sh*tting their pants. They didn't expect this and there's nothing more terrifying to a career politician than being surrounded by a growling population that suddenly started to think about politics.

The best outcome would be if it catalyses change around the entire UK and other regions started waking up and realising what they can do. That would re-unite people in a much healthier way than simply being fish in the same barrel ruled by the same set of psychopaths.

Anyway, now I've got all that off my chest, thanks for listening if you got this far with my monologue

I'll sit back, wait for the result and try to keep my nerves under control.

P.S. Apologies to readers from countries who had to spill blood for their independence ! This must seem like a walk in the park to you
    Last edited by indigopete; 17th September 2014 at 22:48.

2. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to indigopete For This Post:

Anchor (19th September 2014), animovado (18th September 2014), aranuk (17th September 2014), Becky (18th September 2014), Billy (18th September 2014), Clarity (17th September 2014), Delight (18th September 2014), Dennis Leahy (18th September 2014), fourty-two (19th September 2014), Frederick Jackson (17th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), genevieve (18th September 2014), jackovesk (17th September 2014), joeecho (18th September 2014), linksplatinum (17th September 2014), mahalall (17th September 2014), Marin (19th September 2014), Mark (17th September 2014), Rollo (17th September 2014), Sebastion (18th September 2014), Sidney (18th September 2014), Sith73 (17th September 2014), Spiral of Light (18th September 2014), Stephanie (18th September 2014), sunflower (19th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014), Ultima Thule (18th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014), wishinshow (18th December 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United Arab Emirates Avalon Member mahalall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 591 posts

Default Re: Scottish Referendum - An emotional toll

Smile: the illusionary construct of the debate is a distraction from the timeless unchanging sensation of what Scotland is.
    A y or N will what not change that difference in the genetic vibe of the two lands.
    That sigh of relieve when you cross the boarder from south to north will always be the same regardless of the vote.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

animovado (18th September 2014), aranuk (17th September 2014), Becky (18th September 2014), Billy (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), indigopete (17th September 2014), jackovesk (17th September 2014), joeecho (18th September 2014), lastlegs (20th September 2014), Stephanie (18th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Last edited by indigopete; 17th September 2014 at 23:51.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indigopete For This Post:

aranuk (18th September 2014), Billy (18th September 2014), Dennis Leahy (18th September 2014), jackovesk (17th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

Welcome to Québec (Canada) 1980's and 1990's. The yessers for separation lost the referendum twice, once in each decade. The last time was extremely close. Everyone was feverish and the turn out very high.

Good luck tommorrow the Scotts, that their desire prevails

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

aranuk (18th September 2014), Billy (18th September 2014), Dennis Leahy (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), indigopete (17th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014), wnlight (18th September 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,374 times in 1,941 posts

Hi Mahalall , when I cross the border going north into Scotland I not only sigh a big sigh of relief, but I feel I am in the country of my birth, and it is such a glorious feeling. I say to myself I am back home in Bonny Scotland. There are tears in ma ees the noo writing this. Tomorrow is a very important day for the Scots, tomorrow we get to decide whether we want to be ruled by the English oligarks or not. In 1707 our Scottish aristocrats ganged up wi there English cousins and gave our country away without the people of Scotland's permission. Tomorrow we "almost get a say" on whether we stay with Westminster/ City of London Elite/ Rothschild ****ing wankers. I say almost get a say. What I mean is that for three centuries the Scottish people have had their Scottish heritage knocked out of them systematically by being banned by the English ruling class for speaking Scottish Gaelic and other things. In the modern era the TV and radio have had their way with us as they say. The TV has ridiculed the Scottishness in many ways. The BBC and other TV stations in Britain have been doing their usual thing as always brainwashing the Scots as much as they are able to sway the vote against the YES vote. They have had "celebrities" like Mick fricken Jaeger saying to vote NO. If you think about it for a second, why are the likes of David Cameron, Nick Glegg and Ed Milliband not wanting a YES vote, why are the banking establishment wanting a NO vote? Simple, they use us. They have used us since 1707. My family ancestors will be happy tomorrow if the result is for the YES vote. I will be happy too I can tell you!

Stan
    If you don't follow your spirit without hesitation, you end up following your hesitation without spirit.

10. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

Billy (18th September 2014), Curt (18th September 2014), Dennis Leahy (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), genevieve (18th September 2014), indigopete (18th September 2014), joeecho (18th September 2014), lastlegs (20th September 2014), mahalall (21st September 2014), meeradas (18th September 2014), Patrikas (18th September 2014), Roisin (18th September 2014), Sebastion (18th September 2014), Spiral of Light (18th September 2014), sunflower (19th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), thunder24 (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014), Ultima Thule (18th September 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by indigopete (here)
    Hi

I just wanted to share my experiences of the last few weeks which have left me emotionally exhausted, stressed and quite unhappy. It’s a bit of a monologue but may be of interest to “spectators” to the process.

I say that while at at the same time fully endorsing the whole event - it's an incredible thing to live through and a hugely successful debate. I don't think I've ever seen politics mean so much to ordinary people in my entire life.

Full disclosure: I'm a "Yesser". Not because I hate England - I love it, but because I think societies are richer when they diversify. In my opinion they can't diversify culturally without being able to diversify politically. I really hated seeing the bulldozing of all the heavy industries from Scotland when the rest of the world continued to build ships and make steel.

Then when Tony Blair was elected, great hope turned to great shame with all the lying and corruption over middle East invasions. Then the final nail in the coffin with Gordon Brown presiding over the biggest financial catastrophe in living memory (and having the gall to tell Scottish voters today that they are "walking into a trap". The guy is a bona fide psychopath that he can do that without a conscience in my opinion).

Anyway, the main source of the stress is that one by one I discovered that about 5 of my closest friends and professional acquaintances are quite fervent "No"ers. This really took me by surprise and was a bit of a body blow. Don't worry - we're not going to fall out or anything - we have been careful to exchange views in a measured way, but beneath the surface you can feel the tension and resentment. In particular, my best mate’s wife is English and she hates the independence movement with a passion. I find it very difficult to exchange reasoned views in that kind of atmosphere. I'd probably say this is the worst I've felt in a year or too and it's lasted for an entire month now which is very rare for me. A combination of isolation, anticipation and worry about another “slap down” for the Scots in the national media after a No result.

I’m not even living in the UK right now but I spoke to my sister the other night and she says everyone’s on a knife edge. People are working so hard for this but there are passionate and legitimate views on both sides. They are expecting a huge turnout - 90% is being talked of which is unheard of. The “#indyref” twitter feed is running at about 200 tweets per minute at peak times. The disappointment for one or other side is going to be huge. Expectations are massive simply because it's so close (at least in the polls - we may get hammered in the actual vote).

Looking forward though, I really hope this changes the political landscape in the UK forever and drives a great big stake through the heart of the hitherto political class. Make no mistake, they are sh*tting their pants. They didn't expect this and there's nothing more terrifying to a career politician than being surrounded by a growling population that suddenly started to think about politics.

The best outcome would be if it catalyses change around the entire UK and other regions started waking up and realising what they can do. That would re-unite people in a much healthier way than simply being fish in the same barrel ruled by the same set of psychopaths.

Anyway, now I've got all that off my chest, thanks for listening if you got this far with my monologue

I'll sit back, wait for the result and try to keep my nerves under control.

P.S. Apologies to readers from countries who had to spill blood for their independence ! This must seem like a walk in the park to you
    Hi Pete, are you Scottish by any chance? I sympathized entirely with your post. The powers that be really want us to vote NO don't they? They are pulling the plugs out in their campaign. As you say Pete they are ****ting their pants. They are losing their power. As the London taxi driver artiste said the other day, if the YES vote wins then that gives the ordinary English people some hope that they too can get more say into how their country is run. Instead of the bankers puppets the politicians from the three major parties, the people might have a chance. We all know here on Avalon that the Rothschild elitist families rule the world. Why do they want Scottish people to have no say in what happens in their country? Because they profit enormously from it.

Stan
    If you don't follow your spirit without hesitation, you end up following your hesitation without spirit.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

animovado (18th September 2014), Billy (18th September 2014), Dennis Leahy (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), genevieve (18th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by aranuk (here)
    Hi Pete, are you Scottish by any chance?
    Hi Stan

Yes indeed Good to read your observations on everything. I was thinking we probably were a few points short of freedom tonight, but Andy Murray's just popped his head above the parapet and that might just swing a few people. (Give me Andy Murray over Gordon Brown any day ).

Good luck to you & yours !!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indigopete For This Post:

aranuk (18th September 2014), Billy (18th September 2014), Dennis Leahy (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Yes Pete, Andy Murray did something that I thought was impossible. A Scotsman winning Men's Wimbledon! Gordon who? Will anyone ever remember anything great he has ever done? I doubt it. Tony Bliar and Gordon Brown gave the Scots a bad reputation. We are sick of that and are ready to show the world we have better people here than these two bastardos.

Stan

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

Dennis Leahy (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), indigopete (18th September 2014), jackovesk (18th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,706 times in 8,941 posts

I am not sure the PTB is s h t n g in their pants. Referendum practices and studies of how it evolves when some parts of the western world want to split has been thoroughly tested in Québec. We ended up with the war measures for a short period of time, implemented by the federal government (would be England in your case). Scared enough people to ensure a no vote a decade later. Then a close vote yet another decade after. We have been the testing ground for these ^political upheavals and for CIA Mk Ultra studies. They aren't scared.

However, deep in my heart, I still hope some surprises awaits them.

Heavy high pitch noise in my right ear while writing here ??? ......

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

aranuk (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), indigopete (18th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    Heavy high pitch noise in my right ear while writing here ??? ......
    The energies have been ramping up, my right ear has been sounding like beehive lately, actually I hardly can hear anything with it now!
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Flash (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Snowflower's Avatar
    Front range Colorado Rockies, in wilderness
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 times in 733 posts

It all depends on what kind of voting machines will be used. If they are computerized, then the vote is already done and Scotland will remain under the yoke of the royal psychopaths. If it is done with paper ballots, then it depends on who is counting the votes, and what kind of checks are in place.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snowflower For This Post:

genevieve (18th September 2014), Ron Mauer Sr (18th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014)

23. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 times in 560 posts

I have to say I have been watching this with some interest. I am in USA and I really don't have a strong opinion about it but If I was Scottish with all I know about the history of how England has treated them over these long many years and how England is really showing the world how it really works, the queen, the buried abuse and how it flaunts his right to rule, I think in these times a region would want to break from that government. I can see how it is a very emotional topic and people are showing extremes in opinion but such are these extreme times. I will wake up Friday with much interest to see the outcome.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 3(C)+me For This Post:

aranuk (18th September 2014), genevieve (18th September 2014), indigopete (18th September 2014), Tesseract (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 times in 744 posts

post deleted
    Last edited by Tesseract; 24th May 2016 at 12:22.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

aranuk (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), lastlegs (20th September 2014), nicktobias7 (18th September 2014)

27. Link to Post #14
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Personally I think it is a vibration thing we have become too discordant -welcome to your world I hope you take your freedom with both hands and prosper in peace and security.

28. Link to Post #15
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tesseract (here)
    Despite all the fear-mongering of the No campaign, the vibe that I am getting from the yes crowd is unbelievably positive and uplifting and not at all tainted by the ugly kind of nationalism that can exist. I think that, given the times we live in and the system we live under, people have just been slow to start dreaming again, and that is why the Yes took a long time to gain a lot of support. It is seemingly insane to split an island into two - but the trick is to split it legislatively without splitting it physically.
    Exactly !

There's no question of there being a "physical border". It will be like the Isle of Man - we'll still have an integrated commercial, cultural, sporting and industrial life. National borders are not what they were 100 years ago where basically defined your "enemies". The world is already more joined up electronically than any 19th Century political philosopher could have imagined in their wildest dreams.

Your point about being able to opt out of military campaigns is very relevant to the Scotland / UK relationship. We would not have participated in the whole Iraq venture if we'd been independent. Neither would we be a frontline nuclear military power. At the same time we would be participating constructively in cultural, industrial, commercial and sporting life with the wider British community.

The UK is simply an outdated arrangement - a straight jacket that we are bursting out of. If it doesn't happen now it will surely change things for the better.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to indigopete For This Post:

animovado (18th September 2014), aranuk (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), genevieve (18th September 2014), Tesseract (19th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014)

30. Link to Post #16
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    I am not sure the PTB is s h t n g in their pants. Referendum practices and studies of how it evolves when some parts of the western world want to split has been thoroughly tested in Québec. We ended up with the war measures for a short period of time, implemented by the federal government (would be England in your case). Scared enough people to ensure a no vote a decade later. Then a close vote yet another decade after. We have been the testing ground for these ^political upheavals and for CIA Mk Ultra studies. They aren't scared.
    Hi Flash

The Quebec experience haunts me I have to admit. It must be demoralising to have come back twice and have lost twice. There seems to be something mystical about the 50/50.

Thanks for your thoughts !

Pete

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indigopete For This Post:

aranuk (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,062 times in 775 posts

I love what you wrote here...

People are waking up and this is part of the process.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Becky For This Post:

animovado (18th September 2014), aranuk (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), lastlegs (20th September 2014)

34. Link to Post #18
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

FYI...

As Scotland votes in independence referendum, it’s time to ask: should Australia become a republic?

5 hours ago September 18, 2014 3:28PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aussie Republic.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	27256

35. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Snowflower (here)
    It all depends on what kind of voting machines will be used. If they are computerized, then the vote is already done and Scotland will remain under the yoke of the royal psychopaths. If it is done with paper ballots, then it depends on who is counting the votes, and what kind of checks are in place.
    Hi Snowflower, as far as I know there are paper ballots and a pencil on a string. There are officials counting the ballot papers. No electronic machines for counting.
    After I have a shower I am off to make my vote.

Stan

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aranuk For This Post:

araucaria (18th September 2014), Curt (18th September 2014), Gardener (19th September 2014), genevieve (18th September 2014), jackovesk (18th September 2014), Roisin (18th September 2014), ulli (18th September 2014)

37. Link to Post #20
    Australia Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,587 times in 5,273 posts

Quote Posted by aranuk (here)
    Quote Posted by Snowflower (here)
    Hi Snowflower, as far as I know there are paper ballots and a pencil on a string. There are officials counting the ballot papers. No electronic machines for counting.
    After I have a shower I am off to make my vote.

Stan
    Is it a (Yes) or (No) Vote Stan..???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast