+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lorde Browne's fracking hell 2/10/2014 lancashire decides

1. Link to Post #1
    United Arab Emirates Avalon Member mahalall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,949 times in 591 posts

Default Lorde Browne's fracking hell 2/10/2014 lancashire decides

Lancashire County Council, a governing regional area in the North West of England will decide if to give planning approval to allow fracking in the county (02/10/14). Your presence will be most helpful(1). Five days ago the local population in support by Fylde Borough Council voted to approve their officers’ recommendations to object to both of Cuadrilla’s planning applications – Preston New Road (Little Plumpton) and Roseacre Wood (2,3)

To drum up support and influence the board of Lancashire, Lord Browne of Madingley happened to be at the Samlesbury Hotel in Preston, lancashire today (He is currently the chairman of the British shale gas driller Cuadrilla Resources,4.)
    By one of those synchronistic moments i happened to be driving by and was drawn to the sight of a group of activists; Mothers against Fracking (5). Dutyfully I pulled over and shared my curious assistance of energy. On one side of the road was the police in their van and on the other side was the private security protecting the delegates-business folk in the hotel. In the middle, was this small group of passionate women against fracking.
    On approach they asked who i was, and when i mentioned project avalon, they asked what my tag was and they then nodded in appreciative recognition of its founder: Bill Ryan argh!
    From this moment i was invited into their fold. It was not long before i found myself approached by the hotel security. After initial animosities were shared we found some common ground. Both groups (albeit, different ends of the spectrum) had interests in the security and well being of the UK.
    It was at this point the senior security officier invited us into the hotel and cordially purchased us drinks. From inside the hotel we could perceive into the residuals of the attendees energies which were imposing but with smiles we went on.

Lorde Browne experiencing the coughing contempt

1)http://council.lancashire.gov.uk/ieL...MId=3085&Ver=4
    2)http://stopfyldefracking.org.uk/category/latest-news/
    3)https://youtube.com/watch?v=bsWVEWFbal4
    4) http://www.lancschamber.co.uk/wp-con...ness-Lunch.pdf
    5) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mothe...95339480493819

http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ire-shale-rock

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

Akasha (23rd September 2014), Becky (26th September 2014), Bob (23rd September 2014), Christine (23rd September 2014), Lancelot (23rd September 2014), Nasu (23rd September 2014), Xanth (23rd September 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Default Re: Lorde Browne's fracking hell 2/10/2014 lancashire decides

Hi Mahalall

Questions for dialog - despite people going "FREE ENERGY NOW" (toss oil/natural gas) and spend resources on alternatives (not to mention the Queen's offshore Wind Energy projects in this line of questioning).. to look at getting UK energy devoid of the European/Russian pipeline...
    1. What if it were possible to get the energy out WITHOUT FRAKING ?
    2. What if it were possible to FIND the spots without doing continual wasteful "exploration by drilling" ?
    3. What if it were possible to do such AND provide the landowners good royalties?
    4. What if it weren't to be run by Centrica/Cuadrilla? But actually a PEOPLE's COOP?

Just some what if's.

I've followed the Centrica on-shore drilling attempts fiasco and fraking escapades for quite some time as well as onshore and offshore UK exploration to see what's being done and not done..

With Russia threatening UK once again with shortages or jacked up natural gas prices, UK runs the risk of another harsh winter with slave rate payments for energy..

Any thoughts on that?

(a few more links: )
    http://english.capital.gr/News.asp?id=2106306
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...alks-fail.html (Gazprom added that it had notified Europe of possible gas disruption and has now lodged a $4.5 billion (3.3 billion euros) lawsuit against Ukraine with an arbitration court in Stockholm)

It is my understanding/belief that Lancashire County Council would be interested to hear if there are alternatives to letting Centrica/Cuadrilla the opportunities to further run the risk of "dry holes", or potential quakes. The Cuadrilla project proposed setting up "earthquake monitors" to notify the "fraking operator" to stop if earthquakes are triggered a certain distance from the well site.. An alternative method to actually wildly following "seismic logging" (proven to be wrong in these cases by example of the "dry holes"), and doing massive fraking on a potentially "dry hole" it seems to me would be of great interest to the Council.
    Last edited by Bob; 23rd September 2014 at 22:43.

4. Link to Post #3
    Ecuador Honored, Retired Member. Warren passed on 2 July, 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,540 times in 864 posts

Bob,

Fracking in the USA has been an economic success. The dependence on foreign oil has dropped. The overall cost is great, so you must think about that relative to the independence gained. The cost is both to the environment of those living nearby and also cost of using precious water which is in short supply. (At least so in the USA) The economic boon is mainly for the petroleum multi-national corporations. But locals are enjoying the job boom. Local drinking water wells have been bubbling up chemicals. We do not know how log-term will be the environmental damage. City of Houston is gearing up for the oil export which is supposed to explode after the Panama canal widening project is completed.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Bob (23rd September 2014), Chanlo23 (23rd September 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Bob,

I am not sure how quickly the fracking in the UG can be geared up for your coming Winter. The cracking plants must also be geared up, and that can take a long time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Bob (23rd September 2014), Chanlo23 (23rd September 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by wnlight (here)
    Bob,

Fracking in the USA has been an economic success. The dependence on foreign oil has dropped. The overall cost is great, so you must think about that relative to the independence gained. The cost is both to the environment of those living nearby and also cost of using precious water which is in short supply. (At least so in the USA) The economic boon is mainly for the petroleum multi-national corporations. But locals are enjoying the job boom. Local drinking water wells have been bubbling up chemicals. We do not know how log-term will be the environmental damage. City of Houston is gearing up for the oil export which is supposed to explode after the Panama canal widening project is completed.
    Just saying recovery techniques exist that don't need the 2Million$ per hole, no fraking required, no waste of water, no contamination by leaking casings...

Fraking is a cheat job, the old techniques used to use nitroglycerine which failed; they switched to newer high pressure fracturing methods and using proppants to break up shales or carbonates in the production zones and hold open the fractures..

BUT New techniques bypass FRAKING completely - and the 2M$ being made by a fraking firm no longer goes there to the frakers;

New non-fraking techniques let the oil or gas get out, without running contamination risks from doing stupid with all old style chemical/water/acid fraking..

Quote Fracking in the USA has been an economic success. The dependence on foreign oil has dropped. The overall cost is great [..]
    Fraking is applied to what is called "tight formations" (with little porosity/permeability) to open up or create more surface area to where production amounts would not normally be possible. Two primary considerations need to exist - 1) the hydrocarbon HAS to be there for production attempts to be started, in other words, not a 'dry hole', and horizontal drilling has been accomplished into a long but relatively thin "tight formation".. Sometimes up to a mile or two the horizontal drill stem is placed far away from the original drill hole..

In both cases, the hydrocarbon has to be there.. When it's not, even though fraking has been performed, they can't squeeze oil from a stone when it's not there.. In the Cuadrilla/Centrica escapades, drilling and fraking has not been in economically producing formations, not in the "zone".

In the US where oil/gas "plays" exist, drilling into known production evidenced by prior nearby production tends to allow such exploitation to be a boone to extracting from tight formations.

In the Lancashire area, they have said (Cuadrilla/Centrica) they simply do not know what the formations will produce, if they can recover useful prduction. Drilling hundreds of dry holes, AND fraking at the afterwards step, results in a lot of environmental agitation.. as demonstrated when a well CASING goes wrong (leaks) potential contamination happens, and with high pressure fraking pumping massive amounts of liquid into the 2 miles down and 2 miles out (4 miles of pipe) with holes in it (called perforations in the potential production zones) runs a risk..
    Last edited by Bob; 23rd September 2014 at 22:53.

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Bob, You wrote "BUT New techniques bypass FRAKING completely ..." I have not heard of these techniques and would like to learn more. They must be more expensing because they are not being used in the USA. Where is this being done? Do you have a reference?

My warning still stands that the UK will have great difficulty gearing up for this Winter. It just takes more time to build additional refineries to process the additional petroleum produced. Unless the UK has some refineries idly standing by.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

Bob (23rd September 2014)

11. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Bob, You wrote "BUT New techniques bypass FRAKING completely ..." I have not heard of these techniques and would like to learn more. They must be more expensing because they are not being used in the USA. Where is this being done? Do you have a reference?

My warning still stands that the UK will have great difficulty gearing up for this Winter. It just takes more time to build additional refineries to process the additional petroleum produced. Unless the UK has some refineries idly standing by.
    I studied this (personally) being done in Dubai (United Arab Emirates) a few years back. The process was able to separate out the heavy oil, leaving behind water and sulfur. It was talked about being used in the Athabasca - (The Athabasca oil sands (also called the Athabasca tar sands or Alberta tar) ... are in the Peace River and Cold Lake areas in Alberta ).. cost-wise it was about 1/10 the cost of fraking and 100% pollution free and environmentally non-damaging. (no water-zones are potentially broken..)

With fraking for instance in Marcellus formation (Pennsylvania) it has been shown to be a crappy well casing job (similar to the Gulf Spill disaster on the Moncando well) btw... that the leakback into the formations (shallow water) came from seepages from behind the well stem. The issue of "hydraulically lubricated faults" inducing slippage never-the-less remains a problem with high pressure liquid/gas fraking.. the new processing technique bypasses all of that.

It is scheduled to be tested in Utah on a Reservation in the Spring of 2015.
    Last edited by Bob; 23rd September 2014 at 22:02.

12. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Bob,

I am not sure how quickly the fracking in the UG can be geared up for your coming Winter. The cracking plants must also be geared up, and that can take a long time.
    Interesting note, on the issue of production - Brent Crude (basically North sea oil between UK and Norway ("North Sea" often includes areas such as the Norwegian Sea and the area known as "West of Shetland").. is currently 98$ US per barrel.

That price is very low all things considered.. SO of course what does SUNCOR do? * They start shutting down refineries to reduce the available supply of production.

Natural gas would be a production product for the UK gas pipelines with virtually ZERO refinery necessity.. Natural gas liquids, and OIL tend to come out of some of the formation for the ON-SHORE production.. The drilling efforts in the Lancashire area are basically a fiasco (dry holes), and has been because of Cuadrilla drilling in the WRONG LOCATIONS..* One can miss by a few hundred feet and waste 20 million pounds Sterling.. (as they have and no doubt will continue..)

There are plenty of better locations available with the production that UK needs (Natural GAS)...

The suggestion is get away from the massive Albatross (Centrica) and switch over to PEOPLE OWNED COOPS, benefiting the land owner, and bypassing the massive "big oil" junkets.. that are weaseling their way into the coffers.

* Note:
    1) Cuadrilla had obtained a massive block license to the region in the Lancashire area, and had convinced apparently Centrica to buy-in to those leases, effectively getting massive amounts of funding to do exploration (exploration in the minds of oil people consists of drilling holes and fracking and then seeing if producing values can be obtained)
    2) Refineries reference - search link

The Lancashire Cuadrilla/Centrica effort (equity cash/share partnership) is an on-shore attempt to try to get gas production to bolster UK resources. In the area there is one production well, purchased by Centrica/Cuadrilla to maintain a "held by production" toe-hold to keep the exploration leases valid. Should Centrica/Cuadrilla NOT DRILL, they run the risk of their leases in the Lancashire region being lost. That is a bit more on the politics of what is happening.
    Last edited by Bob; 23rd September 2014 at 22:12.

13. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Thanks, Bob,

I looked in your postings for the name of the alternative to tracking that you described. It appears to be a very useful concept, but perhaps, not as thorough as fracking in getting the oil out. It will be good to compare numbers once the Utah testing is complete.

I worked for drilling and pipeline companies in Houston for about five years in the 1990s, but my area of expertise was math and software - so I mostly did database. I never got out on those offshore rigs. One of the companies was Global Marine which once had a presence in the North Sea. My take on fossil fuels is that we have to make the best of it until alternative energy sources can develop. So people simply must put up with fossil fuels, but should minimise their use to minimise all the environmental side effects. People should also push hard for the alternatives. I sold both of our gasoline cars and now walk or ride the bus or take a taxi. But I now live in a small city in a small country and have a very small energy footprint - no heating or cooling year round. Few can do that.

It will be good some day when humans can shift from fossils to alternatives and end the petroleum age. I do not think the world will run out of oil, but we can still end the petroleum age. As someone once said, when the stone age ended, there were still lots of stones available.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wnlight For This Post:

beewarenow (10th October 2014), Bob (24th September 2014), mahalall (25th September 2014), ulli (25th September 2014)

15. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

There are plans afoot with Friends of the Earth for a demo outside County Hall in Preston from 12 noon before Council Meeting - details later.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to beewarenow For This Post:

mahalall (25th September 2014)

17. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Lorde Browne's fracking hell 2/10/2014 lancashire decides

Thanks, Bob,

I looked in your postings for the name of the alternative to tracking that you described. It appears to be a very useful concept, but perhaps, not as thorough as fracking in getting the oil out. It will be good to compare numbers once the Utah testing is complete. [..]
    Howdy

Ya lots developed in Houston to boost production. From what I've seen with the early testing, a non-frak'd 10 bbl/day API 28 well going to water was transformed into a 150 bbl/day, all without doing any form of flooding, no chemical injection/treatment, no biological injection/treatment, no damage to surrounding wells, the reservoir, the environment.. 4 companies have worked on similar concepts with mixed results. I believe the Dubai people solved the downhole issues which are solved by modifying the equipment (i.e. pumpjack and riser has to be modified). Those ratios also produce similar results to gas wells, a 15X improvement typically.

The largest boon appears to be the horizontal exploration technique, going horizontally into a thin shale or carbonate or sandstone.

In the case of Lancashire, there are multiple fields which were drilled many 10's of years ago in the early 20th that have appeared to be "empty". The new techniques would be able to revive them and the new hundreds of millions of pounds spent to "explore by drilling" all throughout the Lancashire region, doing all that frak'ing could be stopped.

The "wish" from DECC (UK's oil/gas regulatory agency) comes from engineering reports saying the region has deep shale gas deposits, and "if they can only extract from those deposits...", so there is that hope for riches, for removing UK's extreme dependence on Gazprom's gas pipeline...

But the conventional mindset of the big exploiters is :
    • do environmentally damaging seismic, new seismic (Vibroseis) or reprocess old low res data and expect it to show anything
    • assume that the gas exists therefore look for trends in the seismic hopefully there will be production possible
    • drill a vertical straight down, then turn horizontally, and keep drilling for a couple miles into what seismic says "its there"
    • high pressure frak the heck out of the surrounding rock from the couple miles drilled horizontally - capture the radioactive and chemically laden excess waste water from the frak-job, and dispose of it "quietly" usually down a disposal well
    • test the results, if any, and try to see then if "production quantities" of hydrocarbons will appear
    • if not, recover whatever metal is possible, and plug the "hole"
    • ---move over a few hundred feet (if the geologists say, "really, it's here.. just gotta keep drilling...")
    • repeat the above...

If all that fails, then they do a pow-wow, fire some geologists and hire some new ones, and repeat the process all over again...

The existing methods are wasteful. In the issue with Lancashire, Centrica and Cuadrilla admit they do not know really if the "promised land" (containing the hydrocarbons) at those depths really exist, and they say, they have to "explore" by drilling and frak'ing to understand what's down there..

People's worries are earthquakes induced by the rocks shifting during frak'ing will mess with a fragile water table, and if there are potential gases "down there" 10's of thousands of feet below the surface when the fracturing happens, will the cracks open upwards to the surface, and when those reach the upper drinking water table, will that be contaminated.

What is also not told to people by the ecological organizations, is EVEN IF water is contaminated, there are very cost effective ways, which could be tacked onto an oil company's leases/concessions, that water contaminated can be cleared and fresh pure drinking water (devoid of chemicals, devoid of gas) would be restored.. BUT that would require local LEGISLATION so that the OIL/GAS companies are forced to install those water cleaning apparatus.. AND it is possible thousand of homes and farms and businesses would need such installed if such contamination happens.. Point being there are solutions to the fraking damage of water tables.. IF a massive earthquake happens and building/bridges/structured damaged or destroyed, the OIL/GAS company should have to pay for such and again, such should be enforced through LEGISLATION and made as a condition of the LEASE/CONCESSION..

The best is obviously to release new environmentally stable alternative energy. My feeling is decentralized energy is the best and safest.. Energy at the local use point, not using for instance wind and then massive power lines to transmit.. THO, transmitting that much power, multi-gigawatts through the air (TESLA style) means there is a very high energy saturation. I am not a fan of biological life being exposed to that much energy, in essence, being microwaved but at low frequencies.. The mindset as-it-is, industrially would go for wireless RF to DC rectification at the reception point, the issue is way too much RF pollution then would occur.. The last thing left then is probably quantum zero-point extraction at localized reception points. That happening then changes the game of those in the Cabal who are insisting everyone is to be a slave to some master...

References: UK historical production areas

If a responsible PEOPLE OWNED company took over from the Cabal oil companies, as proposed earlier in the thread, local COOPS where the landowners setup the standards, the safeguards, in other words, the people complaining about Frak'ing, could become those who set the standards checks and balances, and the mismanagement (we have all seen the horror stories from wells gone wrong) it could work in the meantime..

But that takes a LOT of stamina to realize the PEOPLE can do it.. IF one sees then the blocking happening, one then knows it's not about helping the people, the Country, it is about Cabalist's putting a good piece of silver in their coffers at the expense of the People, just using OIL/GAS as the excuse to justify hand in the pocket, and enforced slavery...

but there are solutions...
    Last edited by Bob; 25th September 2014 at 22:43.

18. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

On Tuesday 22/09/14 Lancashire County Council approved plans for Cuardilla to explore to new sites in Lancashire

http://www.lancashire.public-i.tv/co...ractive/145846

Next meeting to discuss further proposed sites 15 october-with agenda presented on thwe 7th October.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

beewarenow (28th September 2014)

20. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mahalall (here)
    On Tuesday 22/09/14 Lancashire County Council approved plans for Cuardilla to explore to new sites in Lancashire

http://www.lancashire.public-i.tv/co...ractive/145846

Next meeting to discuss further proposed sites 15 october-with agenda presented on thwe 7th October.
    (Sigh).. so they managed to tell folks Oct 2nd was the date, but meanwhile in secret? agreed to let them explore? Explore in the mind of a DRILLER (Cuadrilla), means drill baby drill and then frak baby frak..

21. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Dear Bob and Wnlight,

Thankyou for your informative insight,

Is there any validity in the view that fracking increases the health risk of environmental exposure from Radon gas?

Only because Lancashire county council Environmental Protection Team monitored radioactivity levels (including Radon) which were coordinated by a partnership called ‘Radiation Monitoring in Lancashire’ or RADMIL (1). Unfortunately RADMIL was stopped a few years ago due to council cuts (2). Coincidentilaly at the same time one of the regions Nuclear Power station's (3) sent an internal memo to staff warning them that radon levels were unusually high in the environment and advised that their personal exposure devices will be recording higher. At the same time the Duchy Of Lancaster (HRH title) had placed signs on the country estate warning visitors of elevated radon levels. At the same time in 2011 there were small tremors at Preese Hall near Blackpool, where hydraulic fracturing operations were taking place. The Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) suspended all hydraulic fracturing operations while investigating the cause (4) It is overwheminly scientifically recognised that radon levels are elevated with seismic activity (5). The north and west of lancashire sits on top of sigificant ground radon sources (6 p26). This is the same area that lancashire county council approved on Tuesday drilling activity to Caurdilla. HRH gov uk health department establishes that the danger from high radon exposure is the increased risk of lung cancer (7) All though the full extend of the health effect of radon exposure is more that just lung cancer, The Los Alamos National Laboratory researchers discovered in 1997 that alpha particles emitted by radon do not have to hit the nucleus of a cell to damage the cell's DNA, which resides in the nucleus. Moreover, the alpha particles do not even have to hit the cell - a bombardment of the surrounding medium produces chemical radicals inside the cells, which cause DNA damage. It is generally assumed that inhaled radon gas is quickly exhaled and has little time during its circulation through the body to deposit its radioactive products in human organs, tissues, or bones. However, the story may be more complicated. Some scientists believe that radon dissolved in the blood may cause additional diseases beside lung cancer. In addition to the gas, one-third of the inhaled radon decay particles also pass through the lungs into the blood stream and then, get trapped. Radon gas is soluble in lipids and accumulates in lipid tissue throughout the body with the highest concentration in the brain, bone marrow, and nervous system. But none of its heavy metal daughters are soluble in the lipids and consequently, remain trapped in the brain and bones, where they continue to emit gamma radiation and alpha particles. Researchers at the University of North Dakota discovered that the presence of radioactive radon daughters in the brains of non-smoking persons with Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease was 10 times (!) greater than it was in the brains of persons with no previous evidence of neurological disorders. Interestingly, the geographic distribution of Parkinson’s disease mortality is considerably higher in states with a greater radon potential (8)

Might we have a case to halt proceedings?

1)https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/environ...n/radiation/#3

2)https://mariannewildart.wordpress.com/tag/radmil/

3)http://www.edfenergy.com/energy/powe...ions/heysham-2

4)https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...Seismic_v3.pdf

5)http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?...=1&oi=scholart

6)http://www.ukradon.org/cms/assets/gf...3a0844cee4.pdf

7)https://www.gov.uk/radon

8)http://www.radonseal.com/radon-health.htm

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

Bob (25th September 2014)

23. Link to Post #15
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Lorde Browne's fracking hell 2/10/2014 lancashire decides

Radon monitoring of water is possible:

Breathing radon from the indoor air in homes is the primary public health risk from radon,
    contributing to about 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States, according to a
    1999 landmark report by the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) on radon in indoor air. The
    U.S. Surgeon General has warned that radon in indoor air is the second leading cause of lung
    cancer.

Radon in the WATER SUPPLY is possible to be monitored. It is possible that from the production zones, that since the Cuadrilla and Centrica companies DON'T fully know the fractures from down deep would be exposing both natural gas and radon to seep upwards upwards of 6000 feet (depending on the natural fracture system), and contaminate.

One doesn't want RADON in the water supply and certainly not in one's basements and crawlspaces..

. Ingestion
    of drinking water containing radon also presents a risk of internal organ cancers, primarily
    stomach cancer. This risk is smaller than the risk of developing lung cancer from radon released
    to air from tap water. Based on a second 1999 NAS report on radon in drinking water, EPA
    estimates that radon in drinking water causes about 168 cancer deaths per year, 89 percent from
    lung cancer caused by breathing in radon released from water, and 11 percent from stomach
    cancer caused by drinking radon-containing water.

Source - EPA US - http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesr...Fact-Sheet.pdf

Radon is a gas produced by the radioactive decay of the element radium.

Radioactivity is commonly measured in picocuries (pCi). Radon is measured in picocuries per liter and written as (pCi/L).

The American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers has set the lowest level, which suggests a radon action level of 2 picocuries per liter or less for commercial buildings and residences. The EPA has adopted a 4 picocuries per liter of air action level. The U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration, on the other hand, suggests an action level of 16 picocuries per liter (while miners are in underground mines).

MINERS, i.e. read COAL MINERS run the risk of lung cancer not necessarily from breathing in mineral dust but from RADIOACTIVE RADON which is in higher concentrations underground.

There are laboratory grade in-the-field monitors possible to be obtained to verify (document certifyable data) that can work on both water and air/soil samples.

The drilling company and parent company have said they intend to explore (read drill and frak) hundreds of wells to try to figure out the formations.. That is hazardous and expensive. There are better ways.

Dear Bob and Wnlight,

Thankyou for your informative insight,

Is there any validity in the view that fracking increases the health risk of environmental exposure from Radon gas?

Only because Lancashire county council Environmental Protection Team monitored radioactivity levels (including Radon) which were coordinated by a partnership called ‘Radiation Monitoring in Lancashire’ or RADMIL

[..]
    To answer your question in one word - YES
    • Disturbing the soil - ie QUAKES induced by fracturing would release RADON into the air and water.
    • Opening up previously sealed fractures from deep underground could release trapped gases, both natural gas plus radon gas into the water table, and eventually into the air, to accumulate in basements, crawl spaces..

In both cases petitioning for RADON MONITORING increases could be done and would be legitimate.. One would have to have someone with a fund and time to conduct the studies, hire certified testers (lab chemists familiar with radiation monitoring), and then cite other studies mentioning how statistically radon has harmed miners, and residents with increases of cancers.

That could easily be a year long study, and no doubt would cause drilling/fraking combo to be slowed by at least a year while the data is gathered. It could be longer if one were to study all the wells in UK drilled, and evaluate the cancers in the residents, evaluate water tables.. soil contamination, food contaminated (animals containing radon in their milk for instance)..

A proper study could very well shut down the existing techniques of exploratory drilling and then frak'ing to see if oil and gas is possible... maybe permanently..

--------------------------

What about disposal of the waste water from frak'ing ?

(http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-25902272)

27 January 2014 Last updated at 07:14 ET

Cuadrilla fracking delays over radioactive waste water

Fracking produces large volumes of water contaminated with low level naturally-occurring radiation.

The Environment Agency (EA) said it would not grant a radioactive substances permit until it was sure the water will be disposed of safely.

Cuadrilla said it was preparing new permits to meet revised guidelines.

(RADON will be released btw, from concentration of radioactive water (through evaporation, either naturally or by accelerated heating); so even though they MAY SAY the residual RADON, is now "low" in acceptable levels, there may have been a SIGNIFICANT RADON release into the environment and a subsequent increase in Uranium, Radium AND Thorium in the residue)..

What is being done shown above

When Cuadrilla Resources fracked at Preese Hall, Weeton the agency found traces of naturally-occurring uranium and thorium.

It also found levels of radium 90 times higher than naturally occurs in drinking water. (RECALL it is RADIUM which has decays that form RADON gas.

Previous regulations classed the waste water as industrial effluent and Cuadrilla was legally authorised to discharge two million gallons into the Manchester Ship Canal after being processed at the Davyhulme treatment works in Trafford. (BAD BAD BAD...)

Flowback water is now classed as radioactive waste following European regulations which came in to force in October 2011.

Without a valid permit, the company can drill, but not frack and the operator and treatment works need a permit to safely dispose of it.

Cuadrilla said: "Following recent changes in the Environment Agency's guidance on permits and an ongoing review of our exploration programme, we have decided to withdraw the previous permit applications for our sites in Lancashire.

"We are preparing new permits and will provide further detail when we announce a number of proposed new exploration sites.

"We will need a radioactive substances permit to flow test any well after fracturing."

Trials are taking place with Remsol, a waste management firm in Preston, to reduce the radioactivity by 90% but it is understood this would involve moving large volumes of water out of the region in tankers.

Generally evaporation (releasing RADON into the air), to concentrate waste water results in higher concentrations of Radium, Thorium and Uranium, increasing the localized concentration of those radioactive substances.

So, the WHOLE process increases the health risks substantially, RADON, PLUS the wastewater being radioactive.

Is there any validity in the view that fracking increases the health risk
    Last edited by Bob; 25th September 2014 at 22:27.

24. Link to Post #16
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

See Post Above -

Frak'ing water disposal hazards, Radon PLUS Radium, Uranium and Thorium concentrations - disposal of radioactive wastes ...

Another potential point to expose frak'ing hazards.

That radioactive water problem with wastewater is a WORLDWIDE problem where fraking water is being disposed... USUALLY they dispose it back down into a "disposal well", but in the UK case, the Driller Cuadrilla was wanting to dispose it in the environment above ground. That in one's opinion would be very sloppy and environmentally irresponsible.

[..]

Next meeting to discuss further proposed sites 15 October-with agenda presented on the 7th October.

25. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Default Re: Lorde Browne's fracking hell lancashire decides

Establishment thought might argue that radon has a half life of 3.8 days and that it evaporates freely from water however the Department of the Environment, Transport and regions (UK) found that 20 per cent of the radon gas remains in the water when drunk (1)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-hotspots.html
    Last edited by mahalall; 25th September 2014 at 23:21.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

Bob (26th September 2014)

27. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

And Radon is continually produced by the decay of Radium...

Radium's most stable isotope, radium-226, has a half-life of about 1600 years. It decays into radon-222 through alpha decay or into lead-212 by ejecting a carbon-14 nucleus. The Curie, a unit used to describe the activity of a radioactive substance, is based on radium-226.

Thorium also contains a decay cycle, also present in the frak water.

Decay continues constantly on an atom per atom basis, so if one atom is decaying, another right behind it is ready to start going through it's decay cycle.

Looking at the uranium and thorium series side by side, it's quite obvious the Radon will be continuous as long as the starting material are there for Uranium, and thorium.

Oil and gas production

Analysis of oil and gas from many different wells has shown that the long-lived uranium and thorium isotopes are not mobilized from the rock formations that contain them. However Ra-226, Ra-224, Ra-228 and Pb-210 are mobilized, and appear mainly in the water co-produced during oil and gas extraction. These isotopes and their radioactive progeny can then precipitate out of solution, along with sulphate and carbonate deposits as scale or sludge in pipes and related equipment. Radon-222 is the immediate decay product of Radium-226 and preferentially follows gas lines. It decays (through several rapid steps) to Pb-210 which can therefore build up as a thin film in gas extraction equipment.

The level of reported radioactivity varies significantly, depending on the radioactivity of the reservoir rock and the salinity of the water co-produced from the well.

(http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Sa...aterials-NORM/ source)

it's not over in 3.8 days in other words, its continual cause of the starting material has such a long decay rate.

Establishment thought might argue that radon has a half life of 3.8 days and that it evaporates freely from water however the Department of the Environment, Transport and regions (UK) found that 20 per cent of the radon gas remains in the water when drunk (1)

[..]

28. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Last week's meeting was the Development Control Committee and this Thursday is the Full Council Meeting. There were two current sites being discussed not the two new sites applications. Looking at the agenda they won't be making decisions this Thursday regarding these.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beewarenow For This Post:

Bob (28th September 2014), mahalall (29th September 2014)

30. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

The government must get its priorities right. Only by fully addressing legitimate environmental and safety concerns about fracking with robust regulation and comprehensive monitoring will people have confidence that the exploration and possible extraction of shale gas is a safe and reliable source that can contribute to the UK's energy mix "Tom Greatrex, the shadow energy minister (2014, i)

Lancashire County Council should take an opportunity to review the reported community ill health effects of fracking in the county of Pennsylvanian,US (ii) a region that has a considerable less population density to Lancashire.Uk. The 6710 incidents listed (as up to 2/10/14) could all represent a financial-legal implication.

It is interesting to note the fracking industry is highly critical in it's attack of Dr Marvin Resnikoff (iii). Dr Resnikoff analysis presents the environmental radioactive exposure associated with fracking and the industries irresponcible methods of not controlling the pollution risks.

i)http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ameron-all-out
    ii)https://pennsylvaniaallianceforclean...e-harmed57.pdf
    iii)http://energyindepth.org/marcellus/r...-gas-rejected/

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mahalall For This Post:

beewarenow (3rd October 2014), Bob (3rd October 2014)

+ Reply to Thread