+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Affordable Thermal imaging add on for Smartphones

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Default Affordable Thermal imaging add on for Smartphones

I'm not a "believer" in extraterrestrial craft (UFO) visiting us, but I don't discount the possibility.

For $200 (UNHEARD OF price!) you can have a pretty "decent" thermal imaging system that works on your smart phone.

Quote Predator Vision: Seek Thermal Camera for Smartphones
    Ever since I saw Predator as a child, I’ve had dreams of seeing the hidden heat signatures that go undetected by my primitive eyes. While the military has had access to this kind of technology for years, its price tag has been so high that normal consumers would never think of owning it. Until now. Seek Thermal has created a new camera that can plug into your smartphone to unveil images in the infrared spectrum, for just $199.

The Seek camera attaches directly to your Android or iOS smartphone via the micro USB or Lightning connector and when paired with the free app, allows you to see things in a whole new way. The closest thermal imaging competitor, FLIR, offers a 249 x 180 camera for around $3500, while Seek Thermal’s smartphone accessory features a resolution of 206 x 156 for under $200. The Seek camera can see differences in temperature from -40 Celsius up to 330c, although Seek admits that temperature readings above boiling can be less accurate, something it's working to improve

While you may be wondering what use a thermal camera has besides hunting down Arnold Schwarzenegger, my hands-on time with the Seek Thermal camera revealed a wide range of uses. For example, you could use it to see which chairs have been sat in recently, possibly saving yourself the embarrassment of stealing your boss's seat. You can also measure the temperature of food and drinks to see if that coffee will burn your mouth or to judge whether that meal has been left for too long in the "danger zone" where bacteria breeds. Pet owners can also use the camera to see residual heat and find out if their animals stay off the “nice” couch, or if they revel in luxury as soon as you walk out of the room. You can see the result of residual heat on a water bottle (at right) just as I took my hand off of it.

There are also numerous industrial uses, like finding out where a certain pipe is clogged, or seeing where the heat is building up in your new desktop computer.

Easy and fun to use

Operation is dead simple. All you have to do is plug the Seek camera into the micro USB port on your device (or Lightning connector for iPhones), and open up the app. The app uses your phone’s display as a viewfinder, and can even use your phone’s camera to give you a dual view image with visible-light and thermal views side-by-side.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/seek-the...93030450078203

I want to get one, well just because... haha (should be easier to find horses at night if they get away, or get stolen)
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (29th September 2014), 8Adamas8 (26th September 2014), Agape (28th September 2014), Bob (26th September 2014), Carmody (27th September 2014), conk (26th September 2014), cursichella1 (27th September 2014), Flowerpunkchip (27th September 2014), JRS (27th September 2014), linksplatinum (27th September 2014), meat suit (27th September 2014), Nasu (26th September 2014), poetbil (26th September 2014), PurpleLama (26th September 2014), Richard S. (27th September 2014), seko (27th September 2014), Sidney (26th September 2014), toppy (27th September 2014), wnlight (26th September 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,317 times in 10,234 posts

Default Re: Affordable Thermal imaging add on for Smartphones

electronics/'puter testing for hotspots

cars, for which cylinder is misfiring, too rich or too lean. The header will have a different temp. bearigs on wheels and brakes, etc etc

Heat flow in your house. hot vs cold spots. seals on refrigerators and windows.

and so on.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

meat suit (27th September 2014), TargeT (27th September 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member cursichella1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,266 times in 763 posts

Distance up to 1000 ft...very cool. I want one! Thanks for posting!
    cursichella1

Qui tacet consentit

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cursichella1 For This Post:

TargeT (27th September 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Norway Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,045 times in 794 posts

That's a really cool invention for a smart phone, imagine what kind of stuff you could pick up with that device.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to linksplatinum For This Post:

TargeT (27th September 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    electronics/'puter testing for hotspots

cars, for which cylinder is misfiring, too rich or too lean. The header will have a different temp. bearigs on wheels and brakes, etc etc

Heat flow in your house. hot vs cold spots. seals on refrigerators and windows.

and so on.
    very good practical applications... my first thought was finding horses at night but these are more every-day applicable ideas.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Carmody (29th September 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

You could also see animals in yard at night, and even better if you suspect an intruder is creeping around on your property at night you could spot someone hiding in bushes etc. Cool app for sure.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Flowerpunkchip (27th September 2014), TargeT (27th September 2014)

+ Reply to Thread