+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The mystery of the Star Dust's final message

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Default The mystery of the Star Dust's final message

British South American Airways’ Avro Lancastrian Mk.III, G-AGWH, R.M.A. Star Dust.

Quote Posted by Dr Morris K Jessup

On August 2, 1947, the British South American Airways plane, Lancastrian Star Dust, mysteriously vanished on a flight over the Andes. It would not have been so surprising if the craft had disappeared in the high peaks of the Andes, but – she was due to land at the airport at Santiago, Chile, at 5:45 PM, she sent out a signal stating her time of arrival. That is just four minutes from the airport, almost within sight of the control tower.

At the end of the message came a word "Stendec," loud and clear and given out very fast. The Chilean Air Force operator, at Santiago, queried the word which he did not understand. He heard it twice repeated by the plane. No explanation of the word has ever been found.

Nothing further was heard from the plane although calls were sent out. The plane never arrived, and from that day to this the mystery has never been solved. Searchers were made by ski troops and planes and by skilled mountaineers and automobiles over an area of 250 square miles, in vain. That plane carried a crew of five men and there were six passengers. The pilot, Captain R. J. Cook, had crossed the Andes eight times as second pilot. Four minutes from the landing strip – what happened?
    Actually, the wreckage was found in 1998. Investigators determined that the airliner had flown into the glacier at high speed. However, the mystery of the final radio message remains. The last Morse code message sent by Star Dust was:

"ETA SANTIAGO 17.45 HRS STENDEC"

Quote Posted by Brian Dunning
    All kinds of people have made all kinds of guesses about what STENDEC might have meant. None of them are very convincing.
    Dr. Carlos Bauzá, the crash investigator, has remarked: “We have consulted everyone who flew these planes and even appealed through the British press to see if any pilots who flew these aircraft could explain whether s-t-e-n-d-e-c was a code word or something to do with weather conditions, or give us any information at all. We couldn’t find the answer. I think that in the end s-t-e-n-d-e-c is going to be the final unsolved mystery in the story of ‘Stardust’.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Sources: http://projectavalon.net/Dr_Morris_K...or_the_UFO.pdf
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_BS...cident#STENDEC
    http://www.ntskeptics.org/2010/2010d...cember2010.pdf
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4231

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

boja (28th September 2014), ElfeMya (28th September 2014), Hervé (28th September 2014), linksplatinum (28th September 2014), Mare (29th September 2014), naste.de.lumina (29th September 2014), Pweeky (28th September 2014), Star Tsar (28th September 2014), Sunny-side-up (28th September 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

Default Re: The mystery of the Star Dust's final message

Hmm? 'STENDEC' - 'DESCENT'
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Atlas (28th September 2014), Ecnal61 (28th September 2014), Star Tsar (28th September 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sunny-side-up (here)
    Hmm? 'STENDEC' - 'DESCENT'
    Yes, 'STENDEC' is an anagram of 'DESCENT' but why would the radio operator play with letters just 4 minutes before landing ? Maybe he was bored or maybe he didn't like his job

Quote A popular theory is that STENDEC is an anagram of DESCENT and the letters were re-arranged due to Harmer suffering from the effects of hypoxia. A person suffering hypoxia is unlikely to make the same mistake consistently three times in succession and is very unlikely to create an anagram of the intended word. Furthermore, a normal message would not be expected to consist of the single word 'descent'. (source)
    There was a documentary aired in 1999:

Last edited by Atlas; 28th September 2014 at 12:02.

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by buares (here)
    Actually, the wreckage was found in 1998. Investigators determined that the airliner had flown into the glacier at high speed. However, the mystery of the final radio message remains.
    STENDEC = Star en dead reckoning

or

STENDEC = Star en deadstick

or

STENDEC = Star en decalage

I don't know anything about aviation, but thinking about simplicity of a language, I would guess the third has better chances of being right.

Aviation Glossary
    http://www.aerofiles.com/glossary.html

DEAD RECKONING - In pioneer flight before radio, beacons, and accurate maps, flying distances much by instinct and guesswork, and referring to whatever landmarks were below, was quite routine. The "dead" part simply meant "straight," as in the nautical "dead ahead," and pilots often relied heavily on the IRON COMPASS for cross-country flights over unfamiliar territory.

DEADSTICK - Descending flight with engine and propeller stopped.

DECALAGE - The difference in angular settings [Angles of Attack] of the wings of a biplane or multiplane.

EDIT: according to Google Translator, English to Spanish,

dead reckoning = navegación a estima
    deadstick = deadstick
    decalage = decalage

EDIT 2: Nah... the second one makes all the sense...
    Last edited by NoNeedForAName; 28th September 2014 at 21:20.
    One cannot live apart from its true nature. It can fake its own existence, by choice or ignorance, and yet it will never be able to negate who it actually is.
    -- myself

"If you name me, you negate me. By giving me a name, a label, you negate all the other things I could possibly be."
    -- Søren Kierkegaard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NoNeedForAName For This Post:

Atlas (29th September 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    England Avalon Member SPIRIT WOLF's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,758 times in 928 posts

Now this is very strange, that word STENDEC, well if my memory serves me right there was a ufo case i read in a book in the 70's, and the term STENDEK was used, must try and locate that. Trivia I agree but had to throw it in here
    TRUTH,JUSTICE,FREEDOM
    PROUD TO BE OLD FASHIONED,OLD SCHOOL, OLD GUARD
    Sauviter in Modo Fortiter in Re

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SPIRIT WOLF For This Post:

Atlas (29th September 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by SPIRIT WOLF (here)
    Now this is very strange, that word STENDEC, well if my memory serves me right there was a ufo case i read in a book in the 70's, and the term STENDEK was used, must try and locate that. Trivia I agree but had to throw it in here
    I think you are talking about the 1970s Spanish magazine about UFOs which appropriated STENDEK as its title:

Last edited by Atlas; 29th September 2014 at 00:41.

+ Reply to Thread