+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Power of Connection to Heal Trauma

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

Default The Power of Connection to Heal Trauma

Greetings!

I just read this article, and decided it might be an interesting addition to all the material here.

From The Kripalu Blog

Trauma is about broken connections. Connection is broken with the body/self, family, friends, community, nature, and spirit.

Healing trauma is about restoring these connections. Some years ago, I had the privilege of teaching at the Hopi Guidance Center located at Second Mesa, Arizona. I teach my work by using direct personal experience. Initially, I became aware that there seemed to be a strong resistance among tribal members to participate experientially. I knew that the people were shy, and that they have strong cultural taboos regarding self-disclosure (especially to outsiders). What I didn’t know was that they have a worldview so different from mine that I nearly missed it entirely.

I discovered that it was the use of ”I” that troubled and perhaps even confused the Hopi. When I framed an experiential demonstration in the third person (indicating the healing needs of others), people participated more freely. In Anglo-European cultures, it is the needs of the autonomous ego that dominate perception. In the Hopi culture, it is the needs of the tribal community that are primary. The Hopi are not alone in this worldview. In many aboriginal cultures, the entire group shares the pain of an injured individual.

Because of this felt connection, the healing of a single person naturally becomes the responsibility of the entire group. Specific rituals are performed involving the whole community. The Hopi say that if trauma is not dealt with quickly by the whole group, then its negative consequences will affect the tribe for seven generations.

When it comes to healing trauma, the ”limitations” I experienced among the Hopi turned out to be vital strengths. I realized that the participation of an entire community is a fundamental resource in the process of healing a traumatized individual. What happens to cultures whose sole focus is self-involvement and autonomy? What lies in store for countries made up of isolated individuals who have little feeling for being a ”people?” They become, as we have, particularly vulnerable to the disconnection that results from traumatic experiences.

How much of our present dilemma is a result of our own free choice as expanding human beings wishing to evolve toward autonomy, individuality, and pentium-paced technology? How much is a result of the constricting downward spiral of fewer and fewer choices created by traumatic disconnection? I don’t know the answer to these ”chicken or the egg” questions, but I believe that the future of the human species may be predicated upon the unification of tribal connection with individual freedom and autonomy. Our strength and adaptability as human beings lies in the integration of instinct, emotion, and rational thought. If we choose to abandon our instincts, we limit our evolutionary choices—we distance ourselves from the innate resources necessary to experience our connection to others and to the natural world. Without this connection, we are choosing to live in a spiritual void. Without this connection, we cannot heal trauma; we can only build tenuous superstructures around it in a feeble attempt to protect ourselves from its devastation.

There is much we can do to heal trauma and create a pathway towards connection. As individuals, families, and professionals, we can be present for our children in the aftermath of potentially traumatic experiences. Automobile accidents, injuries, serious illness, emergency and necessary medical procedures, violence, natural disasters, and loss (from death or separation) do not have to leave children frozen. Children possess an innate and vibrant resiliency that can enable them to rebound from overwhelm and injury.

When the broken connection between the body, mind, and spirit is restored, when the severed bonds between people and nature have been re-woven, we can begin, as a species, to feel at home on this beautiful planet Earth.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

ElfeMya (1st October 2014), Heartsong (1st October 2014), Latti (1st October 2014), Skyhaven (1st October 2014), Stephanie (30th September 2014), TraineeHuman (1st October 2014), Tyy1907 (1st October 2014), Wind (1st October 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    New Caledonia/ Australia/ Munich, Germany
    Thanks

Default Re: The Power of Connection to Heal Trauma

Thanks Chocolate for sharing this, I really enjoyed that article and it is bringing more material to the path I am on. What if we could, through a few individuals, reopen the doors of ours connections and help dozens of people participating in it to reconnect all at once ? Then we could repeat this with more and more people and bring everyone up instead of going down into the depth of despair from the wounds... for once, we could level things up instead of down...
    Love and Light

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ElfeMya For This Post:

chocolate (1st October 2014), Peace&Love (1st October 2014), Stephanie (1st October 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

Default Re: The Power of Connection to Heal Trauma

Hi ElfeMya,

I think we are already doing this to a degree, and on some level, individually, and as a combined human consciousness.
    This particular article just touches the subject, and I thought at one point that it was a bit 'shallow' for an article of this type. But it gives a good starting point, in broad strokes. It may be a good idea, for those inclined and feeling inspired to do so, to add to the thread more information, shared experience, or whatever they see fitting here.
    I will also add later on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

Peace&Love (1st October 2014)

+ Reply to Thread