+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It's Official - 'Lost in Space’ TV Reboot in Development

1. Link to Post #21
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Default Re: It's Official - 'Lost in Space’ TV Reboot in Development

Just watched the first episode on NETFLIX, - it's going to be a "binge night"!... and I have two words to say:

Freaking Fantastic!

Spoiler Alert:

Bill [Mumy] - if you're reading this, great to see you again!

Easter Egg - A cameo with an ironic twist; Jonathan [Harris] would have loved it!
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 14th April 2018 at 09:59.

2. Link to Post #22
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,877 times in 1,034 posts

will check it out tonight - been waiting - just a bit unsure of the look of the robot - I want Robbie back !

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Cidersomerset (14th April 2018), KiwiElf (13th April 2018)

4. Link to Post #23
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

That was quite a fun weekend binge. After sitting through all 10 episodes - and you need to see the final 10th episode cliffhanger to see where this is heading - I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

This new Lost In Space is scoring an impressive 7.1/10 on IMDB (up trending) which is showing promise for a season renewal. (Each episode is currently holding a solid 7.4 - 7.9/10)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5232792/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Partial Episode guide here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_i...2018_TV_series)

5. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,638 times in 18,693 posts

I can remember the original as a kid and it was scary like Dr.Who when you are 5/6
    years old and I just watched episode one and the music score brought it back .
    Also Toby Stephens playing John Robinson is a plus as he was excellent as Captain
    Flint in Black Sails a very good prequel to Treasure Island highly recommended as
    is the Expanse one of the best Sci Fy shows just started episode 1 of season 3.

Lost in Space Themes Mix
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwpifvc1n-E
    Published on 6 Apr 2018
    This is both beginning and end themes for Lost in Space

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0827170/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t2

Also while I think of it I just watched the Terror themed from a true story but
    adapted from a novel that adds a bit of supernatural to the mystery....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(TV_series)
    The True story
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Terror_(1813)
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 15th April 2018 at 00:02.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

KiwiElf (15th April 2018)

7. Link to Post #25
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

‘Lost In Space’: Cast and Creators on the Challenges of Setting a Relatable Family Drama in Deep Space

Parker Posey, Molly Parker, and Toby Stephens explain why Netflix was the best place for the complicated interpersonal dynamics at the heart of the remake.

Liz Shannon Miller

Apr 14, 2018 11:38 am

@lizlet

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/los...ws-1201952682/

Click image for larger version

Name:	lis_01.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	37563

The first episode of Netflix’s “Lost in Space” opens with a scene that might feel awfully familiar to anyone who remembers long trips with the family: Mom, Dad, and the kids killing some travel time by playing Go Fish.

“It’s like they’re on a train journey. Do you know what I mean?” actor Toby Stephens told IndieWire. “A family on a train journey. What do you do? You play cards. You’re killing time, you’re playing a card game. Like any family on a journey somewhere or in an airport or whatever.”

However, the Robinsons aren’t traveling by train or plane — they’re on a spaceship, escaping potential disaster, and John (Stephens) has started this zero-G game of cards to distract his family from the peril they’re in.

“I thought that that was just a really, really clever idea, as a setup, to introduce everybody in the family and the dynamic. To set up that domestic situation but in this extraordinary circumstance that rapidly goes wrong,” Stephens added.

It was something co-creator Burk Sharpless considered one of the most exciting moments for him, when it came to writing this redo of the classic sci-fi series. “To have the first scene be one of just seeing them really have that dynamic as a family — what does it look like for a bunch of people to sit around and be in this situation?” he said. “In some ways, that moment set out our take for the entire show.”

This tracks with everything Sharpless and co-creator Matt Sazama, along with stars Stephens, Molly Parker, and Parker Posey, told IndieWire about developing the show’s emotional core: The Robinsons, who might match with the original series in terms of names, represent a hyper-modern take on the typical American family.

“This Is Not an Apple Pie Family”

Name:	lis_02.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	37564

Burk Sharpless: We talk about aspirational, but …sometimes that word is a little bit like that’s a fantasy. We wanted the family to be relatively realistic. It’s funny, how do you make the best of the best, a “Right Stuff” family, seem flawed and realistic? We took each character and tried to make them be sort of raw and vulnerable and relatable.

Toby Stephens:
    When I discussed it with [executive producer] Zack Estrin he was like, look, this is not an apple pie family. This is a family that is full of great people, but they’re damaged here. The relationship between the mother and father is dysfunctional. They’ve padded it, and it’s in disrepair and that’s part of the drama. Are they gonna be able to figure things out? How do they relate to one another? It’s an estranged father, who’s been away fighting wars and stuff like that, and he has become disconnected from his kids.

Molly Parker:
    I love that they took Maureen Robinson and turned her into this aerospace engineer, science-minded STEM girl. And John Robinson, while he’s this masculine warrior, he also turns out to be kind of much more emotionally available as a person than the female. So those roles are kind of subverted and that was interesting.

Matt Sazama:
    The main thing we wanted to do was that we wanted to have it be relatable to people who were watching it in 2018. The original family from the ’60s was a show that we love, but it really reflected what was considered to be the “normal” American family at the time, which was great for what it was. But we feel for parents and kids who are watching this show today, we want people to see themselves in it, and maybe the best versions of themselves, where things aren’t perfect and people have their disagreements. But at the core, it’s based on everyone loving each other, which is the one thing that does connect us to the family from the ’60s. But we wanted it to be a little bit rough around the edges, just so that people could maybe see themselves in it a little bit better.

Stephens: It’s just not very dramatically interesting to have a family that’s always kind of fine. I mean, it’s dramatic enough that they’re in this life-threatening situation, but you add to the drama by saying they don’t really know how to relate to one another and there’s this whole family dysfunction that they have to work out as well. And are they gonna work that out?

Sharpless: I’ve had so many people saying, “Oh, do you think it’s a dysfunctional family?” All I can say is that I just think it’s kind of like my family. It’s just like a family, because people aren’t perfect.

Stephens: There’s something disingenuous about them being a family that’s perfect. Not only would it be dramatically boring, but it’s also just not true. We know anybody who has a family knows that it’s not perfect and that people make mistakes. But the thing is that these people, like everyone, are just trying to do better. And I think that that is something everyone can relate to, whether you’re a kid or you’re an adult.

“It Has A Lot of Heart”

Name:	lis_03.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	37565

Stephens: One of the things that I really love about [the show] is that it’s aspirational. This family, they are, they’re people who are trying to be better and do good and to survive. And so it’s very, in many ways I think it’s a very cognitive show. And all these relationships in the end, while they’re complicated they are part of this. And we need that kind of, I think we need the kind of show like that because there’s a lot of really depressing shows out there, which are fantastic and amazing, but they’re really depressing. And this is one has a really positive message and a kind of affirming message.

Posey:
    It’s cool that Netflix has made something that’s so big in scope, and I hope it fills up people’s homes and gives them lots of good energy. It has a lot of heart and it’s emotional and I think that’s really cool. I hope it’ll bring a lot of energy to families. Kids will want to go run out and play in the background, play spaceship and get into science. That’s cool.

Stephens: To be able to do what they wanted to do with this show, to kind of make it as magical to kids now as it was when it originally came out in 1965 — it takes an organization like Netflix that can throw enough money at it to achieve that. The kind of wonder and the kind of adventure. The scale of the adventure that they’re going for.

Posey: What’s so cool about shows that take place in outer space is that everyone is alien on the planet that they’re in. They’re just surviving it. This is a warm family, smart. They had their challenges in their marriage and all that, but they’re trusting of me and they let me in. That kind of seduction and manipulation isn’t, there’s no time for that. I thought it was just really lovely too, their take. There wasn’t any “I’m going to get Maureen’s husband.” You know what I mean? There’s no time for that. That was nice, that was cool.

Stephens:
    I think what I really loved about it was the kids are really intelligent. If I was a kid watching this I would go, “I want to be as intelligent and as capable as that child. I’m gonna work harder in school. I’m gonna really try and work hard at math.” That’s great as well. So I like that, the fact that the kids, to some extent, end up helping out the adults. It’s a nice dynamic.

“What Would Happen if You Added ‘The Talented Mr. Ripley’ to the Mix?”

Name:	lis_04.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	37566

The Robinsons’ family life has more complications than the danger of space travel. Parker Posey, as a very new take on the character of Dr. Smith, adds a whole new sense of peril to the series — because no one’s totally sure what she’s after, except for the sort of family security the Robinsons seem to have.

Sharpless: There is a sort of earnest “Little House on the Prairie” quality to the Robinson family journey. We’re suckers for it and we love it. But it was like, what would happen if you added “The Talented Mr. Ripley” to the mix — a person who had so many layers of lies that even they believe that they’re a good person?

Posey: I watched [the original series] in reruns as a five- and six-year-old, and I would get up early and see the static on the TV and then wait, and then change the color bars, and then wait for “Lost In Space.” I was a fan, and I loved Dr. Smith, and I thought Bill Mumy was a terrific actor. It was really fun to get the offer to play this role.

Sazama: Parker is the special sauce of our show. She has the quirkiness of the original, but she also brings in this whole other group of people that wouldn’t maybe watch our show otherwise.

Posey: What I liked about the show so much was that it was a family trapped on their own planet. Dr. Smith gets to project her own fantasy of family onto the Robinsons, so it’s layered in this like, “I’ve never had this warmth, this family.” She gets a fantasy fulfilled and also has some power struggles.

“Families Want to See Families That Look Like Them”

Name:	lis_05.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	37567

As opposed to the original series, John and Maureen Robinson’s marriage is troubled at the beginning of the season, which was a deliberate choice.

Stephens: The kids need that adventure and the fun. But then the grown-ups who are watching the show need to care about these people as well and enjoy the show on a different level. So we were kind of like, that part of the show is for the grown-ups. For them to relate to these people and to identify with them. To go, “I know what that’s like. I know how difficult that can be sometimes.”

Parker: Tonally, there’s a kind of balance that you need to strike on a show like this. Because it felt incredibly important to us, that their relationship feels truthful and relatable. And at the same time, it is a family show. It was just quite delicate. And we also, while making it fun, didn’t want to have it be like these people who bicker all the time. So we really did work very hard, Toby and I, to just make sure that in all the scenes… You know, when you’re dissecting a space eel, there is still something going on underneath that. There’s these levels of things going on that may or may not be getting talked about in the scene, but that we feel them all the time.

Stephens:
    I really love working with Molly. We actually had a lot of dialogue early on, both together and with Zack Estrin, about just figuring out exactly what their relationship was. Because when we were talking, we were both like, “This marriage has to seem real to people; otherwise people just aren’t gonna care.”

Parker: I love the fact they would allow the mom and dad in the show to be the ones that have a kind of romance. You know that there’s this potential, like they’re not together at the beginning. And so there’s the potential to fall in love again or not. And I also like that kids get to see a family that is alive. A lot of kids out there whose parents are divorced or not together — kids want to see that on TV too. I think families want to see families that look like them.

“Lost in Space” All of Season 1 (10 Episodes) is streaming now on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/browse

8. Link to Post #26
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Lost in Space Producer Talks Season 2 and Time Jumps
    18 Apr 2018

http://au.ign.com/articles/2018/04/1...and-time-jumps

But what about Season 2?

By David Griffin Warning! SPOILERS follow for Season 1 of Netflix's Lost in Space. You can check out our spoiler-free review right here. (at original link)

Netflix's Lost in Space first season ended with a thrilling cliffhanger that left the Robinson family stranded in an uncharted system far away from the Resolute and its crew. The binary star system that is shown before the credits roll is an image Will Robinson has seen before. But what does it all mean?

While the series is still awaiting confirmation of its second season renewal, executive producer Zack Estrin (Prison Break) gave us some insight into what could await us in Season 2.

The Ending

“We wanted to end the season with a promise of a story to come," Estrin said, adding, "which is that the place where they’re being sent is certainly a place the robot would not encourage them to go to. The open-ended question at the end of the season is when he (the robot) said ‘Danger,’ is that what it means to him, or is that what it would mean for the Robinsons? And that is the question we’ll be diving into if we should be so fortunate to get a second go at this.”

Before the Jupiter 2 jumped away, the alien engine onboard appeared to be taking control of the ship. Estrin talks about the engine and its importance to making space travel to Alpha Centauri believable.

“One of the cool things about the alien engine is that the technology doesn’t exist for us to get to Alpha Centauri within someone’s lifetime," Estrin said. "That’s always been the challenge with space travel. I mean, yeah, we could theoretically go there, but we can’t go there fast enough. We gave our audience a plausible reason why we could get there because its (alien engine) not an earth-made technology.”

The Robot

After the robot valiantly saved Will and his family from one of its own, the giant mechanized family guardian is last seen floating away in space. The robot was a father figure for Will, and Estrin understands the importance of that relationship, so the robot's absence will have to be addressed in Season 2.

“How will he (Will) change over the course of this season, having been on this incredible journey? When we start Season 2, Will has certainly grown and changed. What I can tell you is that, at the beginning of Season 2, should we be so fortunate to go there, we will honor the time jump that will inevitably happen between seasons. We would pick up sometime a little bit later because kids, as it turns out, age. We are very interested to see what has happened during the time that has transpired.”

Dr. Smith

Oh, that menacing Dr. Smith is always up to no good, but it looks like she's charting a new moral course for herself at the end of Season 1. Throughout the season, Dr. Smith has been the most difficult to anticipate, so Estrin clued us in on what exactly the good doctor is thinking inside that devious head of hers.

“She (Dr. Smith) is a character who is wanting to get rid of her past," Estrin said. "She wants to be somebody who will do the right thing. For instance, at the end of episode 3, she has a choice to save the guy who’s in the airlock but chose to go in a different direction. And then she was given a similar choice in the present day story with the Robinsons, whether she should eject herself and go to safety or stay and try to help the Robinsons survive. And she actually chose to stay.”

How Many Seasons For The Robinson Family?

While the cast, crew, and fans anxiously await news of a second season, we wanted to know how many seasons the creators planned on doing if given the opportunity. Would they go with the Breaking Bad approach, where you end on top, or follow in the footsteps of Supernatural, where there is seemingly no end in sight?

“One of the neat things about Lost in Space as a property is that there really isn’t an ending," Estrin said. "We know what the ending of the series will be, but it’s (the story) like an accordion that can expand and contract to fit the desired number of seasons needed. We are fortunate that each season can be its own kind of adventure. We would want to end it when the character stories run their course. The heart of the show is always going to be the Robinsons and their dynamic.”

Additional links & videos at OP link:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2018/04/1...and-time-jumps

9. Link to Post #27
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 times in 438 posts

Here in Germany "Lost in Space" is promoted on many bill boards. So I was curious to check it out and got the Season 1 series in English.
    While the acting and suspense is quite ok, the story is very cheesy!
    Come on - space ships flying with methane - give me a break!
    And silly rovers instead of anti-gravity flying vehicles.
    The state of "advanced technology" is really retarded.

Just my rant!
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Michi For This Post:

KiwiElf (1st May 2018)

11. Link to Post #28
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Good News for Lost in Space fans; it's Officially renewed for a Second Season

Name:	LIS landscape-1523529535-lis-110-sg-a00010r2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	37865

© Netflix
    By Cameron K McEwan and Morgan Jeffery
    14 May 2018
    (Slightly edited - full article at link)

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/lost-in...trailer-robot/

Lost In Space season two: release date, cast, plot and everything you need to know

More danger, Will Robinson!

The Netflix reimagining of '60s classic Lost In Space has been unleashed on the world.

And the good news is that the adventures of the Robinsons are set to continue past this first ten-episode season, which isn't the gritty reboot some were fearing.

Here's what to expect in season two of Lost In Space from Netflix.

Lost In Space season two release date: when's it back?

Netflix officially announced a second season on May 14, 2018 (one month and one day after the launch of the first).

Filming on the first season took around seven months and then there's post-production, including the impressive CG work, which adds another few months. At best, we could expect to see a second season towards the end of 2019 or, more likely, April 2020.

Interestingly, the show's big names – Molly Parker, Toby Stephens, Parker Posey and Ignacio Serricchio – don't have any upcoming projects officially on their slate. So, if the scripts are close to being completed, then filming could begin soon, which could bring season two forward somewhat.

Lost In Space season two cast: who's in it?

With all the main cast surviving – just – to continue their exploits, it looks like the Robinson family will be on their own as their ship, the 'Jupiter 2', has been taken way off course to an unknown destination (more on that below).

Returning will be parents Maureen and John, played by Molly Parker and Toby Stephens respectively, though the former told Digital Spy that, due to the physical demands of filming Lost In Space, she's "gonna go to the gym" before filming starts again.

And, of course, there are the Robinson kids, Judy, Will and Penny: Taylor Russell, Maxwell Jenkins and Mina Sundwall should all be back for more perilous japes and teen angst. They spoke to Digital Spy about the updating of gender roles for the new show in comparison to the original '60s incarnation.

In the shady past corner, there's Dr Smith (well, she's actually June Harris) and smuggling rogue Don West so you can fully expect to see the brilliant Parker Posey and Ignacio Serricchio up to no good once more. The former was left imprisoned by Maureen on their ship but we're sure she'll be out before long.

Now separated from Earth ship 'The Resolute', it's not known if we'll see what the crew of the other 'Jupiter' spaceships are up to. But we wouldn't be surprised to see the politician who likes to take charge Victor Dhar (Raza Jaffrey) return with his son Vijay (Ajay Friese), who has struck up a Romeo and Juliet-style relationship with Penny Robinson.

We might also see more cameos from the cast of the original '60s Lost in Space, after Bill Mumy's appearance in season one. Executive producer Matt Sazama has said he'd "love to include them" while Will Robinson actor Maxwell Jenkins is backing the idea, too.

"It would be amazing to see that," he told Digital Spy.

Lost In Space season two plot: what's going to happen?

Season one ended on an epic cliffhanger as, just when you thought that the Robinsons were safe (for the first time all season!) and reunited with their fellow colonists on The Resolute, the gang were mysteriously zapped away (we assume because of the alien engine) from the planet they never bothered to name.

According to Will, where they find themselves is connected with a drawing by his Robot – perhaps this is what we're calling the 'Planet of the Robots'. Undoubtedly this will form the basis of the next season.

We're also sure to find out just why the human colonists had been using (unknown to the majority) this stolen alien tech. Cue more flashbacks to nefarious deals and reasons as to why the Robots are dealing with humanity.

The Resolute's original destination was Alpha Centauri, where the future of mankind lay. Will Victor and his colonists continue on this journey or try to reconnect with the Robinsons on their Jupiter?

Lost In Space season two trailer: when can we expect it?

If Netflix are really kind to us, we might see a brief teaser by the end of this year but don't expect a trailer till early/mid 2019.

Lost In Space season two – will the Robot be back?

As we saw in season finale, the Robot was involved in quite a big battle with another of its kind and seemed to meet its end in the midst of space. Bad news for all of you with a crush on the "sexy" 'droid.

But, we've already seen it "die" once before, so there's no reason to suggest that we won't see it in season two. Especially as it seems 'Jupiter 2' has found itself at the 'Planet of the Robots'.

We're expecting multiple Robot action and maybe even some flashbacks with Robots meeting humans for the first time.

One of the Lost in Space showrunners Burk Sharpless has also revealed that the reasons why the robot saved Will Robinson in the finale, despite being linked to Dr Smith (played by Parker Posey) at the time, will feature next season as "an ongoing story".
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 20th May 2018 at 10:07.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2