+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sunday 31st of October: Samhain or Halloween, what does it mean?

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member Victoria Tintagel's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Sunday 31st of October: Samhain or Halloween, what does it mean?

Sorry, it's the 31 of October: Sunday.
    Hey Avaloneans, here's what Cal Garrison writes, she is an experienced astrologer and knows a lot about the wiccan traditions and lore. Probably knows how to fly a broomstick http://www.mountaintimes.info/horoscope.html
    Maybe some of you recognise these energies? Blessed be, Starry Tint.

Quote October 21-November 20th
    "The Sun's entrance into Scorpio is hard to miss if you've got your eyes peeled.
    The trees stand naked against the bare landscape, the sky turns gray, the atmosphere gets raw, and all of a sudden the Earth that was once beautiful and alive feels like a gothic cemetry. The 21st of October marks the beginning of what was once known as "The Meat Harvest"

If it sounds bloodthirsty and cruel it very well may be, but life has a million different faces. And while many of us nowadays consider it "declasse" to hunt, back in the old times it wasn't something people intellectualized about. It was a necessity.

What fascinates me about this part of the yearly cycle is that the minute we leave the sweetness and light of the Libran frequency we get sucker-punched by something dark en ruthless. As soon as the Sun enters Scorpio, death and dying are the name of the game. How in God's name do we go from love to death?
    What's the explanation for this harsh transition? The truth is, love and death are intimately entwined. Anyone who's ever really been in love knows what I'm talking about. In the deepest moment of lovemaking each individual has to surrender his or her own separateness In order to experience orgasm.

The Victorians referred to orgasm as "The little Death"
    They may have been prudes, but they were obviously onto something.
    You don't even know where you stop and the other person begins in that moment,
    because something in you has to die to feel love.

The most important Pagan cross-quarter happens this month. The Cosmic
    The Christians knew all about what this passage meant to the Pagans.
    They turned Halloween into a joke, but they invented All Saints' Day or the Day of the Dead and slipped it in on November 1 so that the converts would feel at home with the "New Religion".

The Wiccan take on October 31 is that it's a time to bury the past in preparation for the future. Halloween is a ritual that honors the passing of all the dreams we have created and a celebration of the new life that will spring forth from them in the next cycle. From a mythological perspective,October 31 is the point where Ceres parts ways with her daughter Persephone and sends her down Into the Underworld to live with Hades, her father.

What we're supposed to do between Samhain and the Winter Solstice is travel deep into our own underworld and aquaint ourselves with all the issues that stand between us and the full development of the dreams that we will birth in the coming year. Nature's light is steadily decreasing now, and the darkness that shrouds us is a sign that we can only go within to find a different kind of light.

I've heard it said that the only way you can really begin to see is in total darkness.
    And that my be true, because it's the issues or our Shadow Self that keep us from being fully who we are. And if we don't use this time to look them over one last time and close the casket on whatever they represent, we won't evolve. By the time the Sun returns on the Winter Solstice, we should have enough clarity about what lies beneath to move forward unencumbered by it.

The real meaning and the beauty behind all of the Halloween traditions has been lost. We dress up in ghoulish costumes, we carve up pumpkins and light them with candles, and we put the focus on all kinds of sinister stuff, but we're oblivious to why. In the Old Times the reason everyone wore Halloween costumes
    was so that New Year's night they could be the image of what they saw themselves becoming in the next cycle.

It was a magical way to imprint what they wanted for themselves in the universal matrix. Hollowed out pumpkins were symbols for the womb of the Great Mother.
    And the candles placed inside them were a sign to all that the light at this time of year shines only within.The skeletons and the emphasis on "creepy" things are about owning our greatest fears.The dark stuff has it's place and is just rich and valuable as the sweetness and light.

The real beauty of this cross-quarter and the season it holds sway over is that this is where the darker forces meet and become one with whatever we do want to acknowledge. And when you erase the line that separates good and bad, fear and love, and life and death, you see that it's all just God here.

The deeper reasons why the Pagans honored Halloween are shrouded by whatever has caused us to forget. But somewhere inside we know what the truth is, because it's more powerful than the forces that have kept it hidden.

Don't expect to be on top of things right now. Explore the passageways that you've closed yourself off to and make every effort to see what's in them. Think about what you don't want to see and ask yourself why it scares you so much.
    Bring it all into the light and embrace it. When you do, you'll discover that absolutely everything about you is Godlike".
    Last edited by Victoria Tintagel; 30th October 2010 at 22:07. Reason: correction of date

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Victoria Tintagel For This Post:

JoshERTW (31st October 2010)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 times in 712 posts

Default Re: Sunday 31st of October: Samhain or Halloween, what does it mean?

Very excited about newyear, samhain lovely time, my broom is buggered though

Blessed be

Ammit
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Welcome to Halloween....this is a beauty of a YouTubby about Samhain
    31st October/1st November Blessed be...Starry Tint.

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

This is a video with lots of symbols...oh, here's the witch! Take care now.... mind your steps...the night is dark...whooooooshhhh, there's another one....wheeee.....wheee.........BUMP
    Whitchy Tint.

6. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

The Voices of Avalon: a Mists of Avalon music video

7. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Enigma & Era - the child in us & sentence
    Last edited by Victoria Tintagel; 31st October 2010 at 18:37. Reason: display of video image...grrrrrrr!

8. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Lisa thiel - Samhain Song

Song: Samhain Song
    Artist: Lisa Thiel
    Album: Circle Of The Seasons
    # song: 09

Lyrics

Samhain, Samhain, let the ritual begin,
    We call upon our sacred ancestors to come in
    Samhain, Samhain, we call upon our kin,
    We call upon our dear departed loved ones to come in

The Veil between the worlds is thin
    Our hearts reach cross the sea of time
    To bring our loved ones in
    Samhain, Samhain we honor all our kin
    We honor those whove gone before
    As the Great Wheel turns again

Samhain, Samhain we call upon our kin
    We call upon our Sacred Ancestors to come in
    Samhain, Samhain we call them to come in

Samhain, Samhain we call upon our kin
    We call upon our Sacred Ancestors to come in
    Samhain, Samhain we call them to come in

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Victoria Tintagel For This Post:

Agape (31st October 2010)

10. Link to Post #8
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote The truth is, love and death are intimately entwined. Anyone who's ever really been in love knows what I'm talking about. In the deepest moment of lovemaking each individual has to surrender his or her own separateness In order to experience orgasm.
    At least the followers of the old Lady Gaia are saying things clearly here: the light & love they are offering is just that of the snake embracing/trapping tightly the lion: light & love to keep us trapped in the wheel of birth, mundane worries and death, like beloved pets.
    Advice: choose wisely what you want because it comes in a package, and it may have unwanted surprises.

Last edited by Wood; 31st October 2010 at 20:16.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Post:

Beren (31st October 2010)

12. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,776 times in 3,446 posts

Quote Posted by Wood (here)
    At least the followers of the old Lady Gaia are saying things clearly here: the light & love they are offering is just that of the snake embracing/trapping tightly the lion: light & love to keep us trapped in the wheel of birth, mundane worries and death, like beloved pets.
    Advice: choose wisely what you want because it comes in a package, and it may have unwanted surprises.
    That's right Woody. It's the embrace of Lady Gaia that is the trap and the prison we fight to resist , we can't leave so readilly ..
    Now lets call gravity an embrace...

Otherwise, thanks Tint for the lovely and inspiring music

13. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 times in 905 posts

I never ever saw Halloween as something good. Also it was never celebrated in lands where catholics are absent as a major religion ,also where there are no Celtic people like Irish and Scots ...
    Truly Celts were the ones whom founded the city where i live currently 2500 years ago but not a single of their customs remained here.
    New customs came with Slavic people very similar to Celtic since Slavs were nature worshipers too. But Halloween - never, at least in this form.

My opinion is that Halloween is all but innocent fun. If you know what and whom are rulers of this darkness on the planet you would know and recognize their signature in Halloween. Celebrating fallen spirits and all that iconography isn`t fun for me.
    And all this commercialization of it as well as Christmas is just disgusting.
    You can feel the greed hanging in the air, you can breathe it, sticky smelly spirit of greed and lust, along with candies and innocent children who trick and treat...
    Typically Hollywoodsy ,typically evil. Almost you wish to find a Disney popping out somewhere...

But again free will is free will, all can do all they wish for. It`s just the thing that always must be remembered - the law of cause and effect.
    If you celebrate fallen spirits ,then expect their "fruits" to come along in your life...
    All that you do - you are doing it to yourself.
    Love, love and see what happens!

http://www.fromforgottenworld.com

:welcome:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beren For This Post:

Anchor (31st October 2010)

15. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Beren, witchcraft today is a worship of all living things, trees weeds animals humans... witchcraft is not the devastation of life as once thought, more a lover of all things living......

blessed be

Ammit

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

Victoria Tintagel (31st October 2010)

17. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Hi Beren,

going further into the mythology and customs ...almost all festivals since ancient times are attached to the Solar or Lunar calendars ,
    equinoxes and solstices are being one of them. Even the time of 'Easter' patronized by Christianity these days is a direct descendant of Passover of Jewish tradition where it marked the beginning of Spring .
    Nature and spiritual traditions and customs often merge together and are remembered for their characteristic nature .

Here 'on old continent' today is and was since I remember marked as 'All Souls Day' in calendar ,
    that is the day when people used to visit graves and bring lights and flowers to the memory of their ancenstors.

Winter solstice is another such day when the 'gates' to the other world were said to be open to those who believed.

I came to know more about connection between various cultures and festivities when I once studied astrology in India and learned how close is the understanding cross cultures and religions.

In Vedic tradition, there are two halves of a year in function, one is said to be the 'Path to Gods' and the other , the 'Path to Ancestors' .
    The light one begins approximately on Jan 14th each year though the exact date differs and it again, corresponds to the path of the Sun turning to North,
    and beginning the 'lighter half of the year' .

Both 'gods' and 'ancestors' were worshipped, in one way or another, in old times.

I agree it had little to do with the shopping -style festivities as we are witnessing today ..

But I can imagine rituals where masks were worn ( in some cultures the tradition persists till today ) to resemble , remind of presence of either Deities/or ancestors.

Well, I'm not to cemeteries and dead relatives , wish them all peace .

I think when they formerly evoked 'spirits of ancestors' , they quite meant the wise men, spirits of old, like a 'Big Grey Bear' for example , someone with true message ..

But that's my take on all the matter .

Blessings

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Agape For This Post:

19. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

And the mask of the internet has nothing to do with any known or unknown religions eh...

20. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Talking Re: Sunday 31st of October: Samhain or Halloween, what does it mean?

Re: Sunday 31st of October: Samhain or Halloween, what does it mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood
    Wow, enemy Wood! Lighten up, will you? Shall I call my servants and tell them to bring me a carpet.......
    Well well....it sure is Halloween! Are you still with me, Wood? Galicia is my favorite part of Spain, tonight
    Cleopatra

Quote That's right Woody. It's the embrace of Lady Gaia that is the trap and the prison we fight to resist , we can't leave so readilly ..
    Now lets call gravity an embrace...
    You'd better call it an embrace, Agape Where would you be without it? Hmmmm?

Quote Otherwise, thanks Tint for the lovely and inspiring music
    You're welcome, Agape
    Now, do throw some more goodies in, will you? I like surprises Where on Earth did I leave my broomstick....
    An umbrella wood be fine too...I guess... There goes Witch Poppins.

21. Link to Post #15
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Just to be clear: when I talk about Lady Gaia I am not talking about the planet but the spirit or spirits that haunt it.

22. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote You'd better call it an embrace, Agape Where would you be without it? Hmmmm?
    Somewhere else in Universe Tint. No tricks or treats from last year are going to change that

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Agape For This Post:

24. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ammit (here)
    And the mask of the internet has nothing to do with any known or unknown religions eh...
    Fortunatelly

25. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Agape,
    people tend to make various celebrations mostly because they do not understand things around them in physical world and spiritual world and thus they make festivals according to the solstices or any kind of ritual with spirits or dead people.

And it`s not bad per se, but thing that worries me is a complete identification with that celebrations after only one generation! Thus people miss the point of truth completely. Truth of material world and spirit world.

Why would you need to celebrate dead and to do all this kind of things on ,say, Halloween ? Why ? Only if you don`t know the truth of what happens when someone dies or what are spirits.

I agree that it can be fun but I don`t feel it that way.
    I don`t feel it that way since I don`t identify with the spirit behind the people in those celebrations.

We should take responsibility of what we think and act so we can grow up as humans.
    But if we stray here and there and state : "Oh it`s just fun..." are we then responsible or ...?

For example recently we had threads about spirits and their attacks on people or at least tough experiences with them... And now people freely in the excuse of fun are running into the hands of the very spirits that attacked them or harassed them...just because it`s FUN!

And I guess you know my stance here, that I am against religions and their things since all are copy cats from ancient times. They just switch names and robes but their spirit is which betrays them.
    Halloween is no way different despite in what cloak it`s robed today.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Beren For This Post:

Wood (31st October 2010)

27. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Come on guys and gals, be at peace, religion has no bearing on what evr tasks we may need to uphold soon, we are all as one in this world, all as part of earth, be at peace my friends as we all work in our own ways to help mother earth repair.

blessings

Ammit

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

29. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ammit (here)
    Beren, witchcraft today is a worship of all living things, trees weeds animals humans... witchcraft is not the devastation of life as once thought, more a lover of all things living......

blessed be

Ammit
    Thanks for blessings and I return it with love!

I will always rather worship the Creator of all life than creation.
    In creation all around me I see finger of God, I feel the life and love.
    I would talk to a tree or animals or wind but would never worship a tree or animal or natural force.
    Simply why would I do that when I talk to Creator of life every day ?
    Wouldn`t that be diminishing ,an obvious one, of Creator in the first place?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast