Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Default The Art of Manliness, benefits of cold showers

2. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,844 times in 876 posts

Default Re: The Art of Manliness, benefits of cold showers

Cold showers sound good for women, too. Maybe I can work up to them with the warm cool approach. Thanks.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd October 2014), conk (23rd October 2014), ElfeMya (25th October 2014), Nasu (23rd October 2014), sigma6 (30th October 2014)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

I have read extensively about the many benefits of this therapy, however it is EXTREMELY difficult to do. I cannot do it without screaming out loud. Haha.

Good video, however he barely mentioned one of the most beneficial aspects, detoxification. Alternating hot for a minute, then cold for a minute, minimum 7 cycles, helps greatly in detoxification of the body.

He did emphasize perhaps the greatest benefit, that of increased vascular health. The push and pull from the hot and cold really provides a great workout for the veins and arteries.
    Last edited by conk; 23rd October 2014 at 18:16.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (23rd October 2014), DeDukshyn (23rd October 2014), ElfeMya (25th October 2014), sigma6 (30th October 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

Until two years ago, I always had an ice cold shower before the hot and I can honestly say I felt amazing afterwards - totally invigorated and much warmer than after a normal hot shower.
    Must make a return to that habit.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

conk (27th October 2014), DeDukshyn (23rd October 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I went to some natural hot springs in the mountains somewhere ... let's see, I think this would have been somewhere Silver Star mountain near Vernon B.C. Anyway, it was all outdoors. They had a "hot" pool, a "really hot" pool, and a small lap pool that was heated to just about 5C - not much above freezing.

I asked what the cold lap pool was for. The response was, "you should start out in the warm pool, move to the hot pool (it was really hot) for a few minutes, then go walk to the far end of the lap pool, swim across and then jump back into the warm pool" (the hot one would feel way too hot afterwards).

Only two people were brave enough to try, myself and one of my friends. When you first jump into the cold cool, you lose your breath and your body wants to immediately curl into a ball, making swimming pretty friggin hard to do, but the incredibly intense cold was a strong motivator to make that work - it was like overcoming something huge with sheer willpower.

Climbing back into the warm pool after was like heaven - few words can describe how good that felt. The whole experience was incredibly exhilarating, and energizing in way that you can't experience except by doing something like that or maybe an extreme sport of something.

That experience got me to liking the occasional "cold / hot" shower. It really is rejuvenating!

Edit: Just to note - it was in the middle of winter. It's not always so cold in Canada that you can "heat" a pool to 5C. lol. Just thought I'd clarify that.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th October 2014 at 17:31.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (25th October 2014), Becky (30th October 2014), conk (27th October 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,729 times in 2,903 posts

Quote Posted by angelfire (here)
    Until two years ago, I always had an ice cold shower before the hot and I can honestly say I felt amazing afterwards - totally invigorated and much warmer than after a normal hot shower.
    Must make a return to that habit.
    I go hot and finish cold... I think that is hard enough! although the body adapts, and it is refreshing... and counter intuitive, but I do hot to cold in the fall/winter, stepping out, you are warmer in the winter. The Eskimos do it, and the Tibetan monks totally do it... hacking the human body... (that's the new term apparently )
    Last edited by sigma6; 30th October 2014 at 15:00.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (30th October 2014)

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

LOL - Some years ago I tried to convince people it was a good idea ...

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...-Cold-showers-

There were a few takers on that thread, but not many
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (30th October 2014)

+ Reply to Thread