Thanked 1,573 times in 356 posts

Cool Warning! Earth tilting on axis?

has the earth tilted on its axis

native people speaking of the change in tilt of earth axis
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg2F72hSLMw

The sun rises two days early in Greenland

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...elerating.html

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to regnak For This Post:

Baby Steps (25th October 2014), ElfeMya (25th October 2014), Inaiá (25th October 2014), Jean-Marie (25th October 2014), Joanne Shepard (24th October 2014), skamandar (25th October 2014), Skyhaven (24th October 2014), Star Tsar (24th October 2014), Stephanie (24th October 2014), toppy (24th October 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Default Re: Warning! Earth tilting on axis?

The Japan quake they say did affect the tilt of the Earth ... I pretty sure all the actions of humanity is affecting our world in ways we have yet to discover ... overpopulation , huge concrete structures close together , and all the digging for minerals , tunnels , it all has to come back full circle ... We noticed in our area in the winter time , the sun rises in the far north , then at sunset it moves back north , funny it has a low path towards the south during the day ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

ElfeMya (25th October 2014), Inaiá (25th October 2014), Joanne Shepard (24th October 2014), regnak (1st November 2014), Star Tsar (24th October 2014), Stephanie (24th October 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,745 times in 32,946 posts

-------

Hi there — stepping in here, gently.

The Daily Mail article was dated 14 January 2011. More than three and a half years ago. It's a non-item.

If the Earth's axis was really tilting, even a very tiny amount, tens of thousands of amateur astronomers, controlled by no-one, would be screaming from the rooftops — because the stars in their computer-star-map-guided telescopes would not be pointing in the right direction.

But everything in the world of telescope astronomy is totally normal.

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)

The Japan quake they say did affect the tilt of the Earth
    By just a few centimeters. That's literally an infinitesimal number of degrees, in terms of angle.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 24th October 2014 at 17:38.

6. The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (25th October 2014), aranuk (24th October 2014), Atlas (24th October 2014), Baby Steps (25th October 2014), Calz (24th October 2014), ceetee9 (24th October 2014), Chip (24th October 2014), Chucky (24th October 2014), DeDukshyn (24th October 2014), fourty-two (24th October 2014), Frank V (25th October 2014), grannyfranny100 (24th October 2014), Hazel (25th October 2014), Hervé (24th October 2014), heyokah (25th October 2014), Inaiá (25th October 2014), Jean-Marie (25th October 2014), Joanne Shepard (24th October 2014), JohnJ (24th October 2014), kanishk (25th October 2014), kiwikid (28th October 2014), Lancelot (24th October 2014), Limor Wolf (24th October 2014), LivioRazlo (25th October 2014), Matisse (25th October 2014), Maunagarjana (25th October 2014), Mike Gorman (25th October 2014), muxfolder (27th October 2014), Nasu (24th October 2014), observer (25th October 2014), Redstar Kachina (25th October 2014), regnak (24th October 2014), seko (25th October 2014), skyflower (24th October 2014), Skyhaven (24th October 2014), Star Tsar (24th October 2014), Stephanie (24th October 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th October 2014), T Smith (24th October 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Moderator/Guide

Thanks
    Thanked 7,472 times in 783 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

If the Earth's axis was really tilting, even a very tiny amount, tens of thousands of amateur astronomers, controlled by no-one, would be screaming from the rooftops — because the stars in their computer-star-map-guided telescopes would not be pointing in the right direction.

Correct.......for now.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 24th October 2014 at 18:28.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th October 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th October 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

I agree with the Inuit. Somethin ain't right... and I been sayin it for more than two years now. I been takin my dog out for 12 years now and watchin all those cool stars at night, and suddenly about two or three years ago they all changed. The North Star, (Polaris) is about 10 degrees higher than it used to wuz. yep. Bout the same as the Inuit say. Sun ain't commin up and goin down right either. And I stopped tryin to count how many people whose comments I've read on youtube that can't use their computer programs on their new telescope, cuz they can't find nothin withem. Didn't y'all notice how High that ol Sun was at the summer solstice? When ya had to look straight up to see it? I used to wonder when I was just a little twerp, why they called it "Straight up" 12 oclock, when in fact it wasn't even close to bein "Straight up". I wouldn't wonder that if I wuz just a little twerp today, cuz it is purddy close to bein "Straight Up"! AND, doncha notice how much of an angle the Sun comes up and goes back down with? Yep. It don't come straight up and over any longer, but just sort of slides across the horizon as it does so, and then goes around on a much wider arc than it used to. When the Sun goes down, (nah, you don't have to get up real early and watch it come up.) chickle chuckle. watch how far it "Slides" across the horizon, before dropping below it. And then the twilight lasts a very long time also, because that Sun ain't dropping, but sliding down.

And as for all them people that know this stuff tellin me verything is ok? Ya well I been lied to before. And me and those Inuit and those dummies on utube that don't know how to work a telescope, know what we been seein. And it ain't right.
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (25th October 2014), Inaiá (25th October 2014), Jackson (25th October 2014), Knowrainknowrainbows! (25th October 2014), Matisse (25th October 2014), sheme (24th October 2014), skamandar (25th October 2014), Teti75 (25th October 2014), Tibouchine (25th October 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

It amazes me how how easy it is fool some people.

This Inuit video may as well be titled something like "Hitler Finds Out the Earth has Moved It's Axis".

Because we all know you can't just put what ever caption you want on a piece of tape right?
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

DeDukshyn (24th October 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    -------

Hi there — stepping in here, gently.

The Daily Mail article was dated 14 January 2011. More than three and a half years ago. It's a non-item.

Aren't telescopes calibrated to the stars? Not that I think the earth has titled any real noticeable amount, but I just thought any fine calibration is relative to the stars, not the Earth. I never used any really huge telescopes before, so I don't know if they differ, but with the hobby scopes - even with the ones with electronic controls all your aligning is done with the stars only. If the earth tilted 3 degrees, I don't think I would notice that, I would just have to re-align it slightly, which might be par for the course (especially ones that move or not 100% rock stable - those have to be re-aligned every use).

But I am sure GPS's would end up inaccurate at certain points on the globe with only a few degree shift.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 24th October 2014 at 23:00.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

14. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)
    It amazes me how how easy it is fool some people.

This Inuit video may as well be titled something like "Hitler Finds Out the Earth has Moved It's Axis".

Because we all know you can't just put what ever caption you want on a piece of tape right?

That's what I thought when I first watched that years ago. They could be talking about anything.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

13th Warrior (24th October 2014)

16. Link to Post #9
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by DeDukshyn (here)
    [...]
    Aren't telescopes calibrated to the stars?
    [...]
    I may be wrong but telescopes are aimed toward a direction in space by right ascension and declination... earth frame of reference coordinates... to find a star at a specific time of the night... shift that frame of reference a little and the aim is so far out that it's not even in the same sector...

Remember that thread: The Sun Of Late ... same problem... same conclusion!
    Last edited by Hervé; 24th October 2014 at 23:45.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Hazel (25th October 2014), Jake (24th October 2014), seko (25th October 2014)

18. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    [...]
    Aren't telescopes calibrated to the stars?
    [...]
    I may be wrong but telescopes are aimed toward a direction in space by right ascension and declination... earth frame of reference coordinates... to find a star at a specific time of the night... shift that frame of reference a little and the aim is so far out that it's not even in the same sector...

Remember that thread: The Sun Of Late ... same problem... same conclusion!
    I am not doubting the overall conclusion as I mentioned in the above post, I did the computer simulation on that thread, remember?

I am looking at the instruction for aligning my telescope - there is no references except the stars themselves. I don't have a proper EM, but you would align the mount so that the north star, is the center of your rotation of axis, from there everything is relative. Once you align to the north star, no tilt of the earth makes any difference - this is what you calibrate to and from there you can find anything.

I don't have a whole ton of telescope experience, but I do have some, and until someone actually shows me how I am wrong, I do believe I am correct.

Here's a tutorial on setting up and calibrating an equatorial mount for a telescope.
    If one were to follow this guide, I don't see how a few degrees tilt would make any difference, as you always have to subjectively align to the North star -- wherever that is in the sky, and from there, everything is relative star to star along the already set up rotation axes that you set the scope to.

The only exceptions I can see are the really giant massive scopes, as I alluded to earlier, that are ment to be aligned once, and locked down forever, but, due to all kinds of variables, re-calibration is something that will need to be done occasionally anyway. If all scopes needed to be re-calibrated at once, that would be telling - as long as everyone knew that everyone else was also having to re-calibrate their scopes.

For hobby scopes, no one would notice a few degree tilt, methinks.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 25th October 2014 at 00:20.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Hervé (25th October 2014), Matisse (25th October 2014), skamandar (25th October 2014)

20. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

Hey Dedukshyn!!!

Great video! It shows exactly what I was talking about. This looks to me like an "old" instruction video, becaise it shows where the Norht Star, (Polaris) used to be. And also notice how the Big Dipper, comes from below the horizon up around the right side of the North Star. It takes the Big Dipper one full year to go all the way around it. See where the NS is in this vid, in relation to the Horizon? It is no longer there. It is much Higher in the sky. It is above the Top of this video now. And the Big Dipper, does not go below the horizon any longer. This portion starts at 6:23.
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th October 2014), Hazel (25th October 2014), Inaiá (25th October 2014)

22. Link to Post #12
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,190 times in 369 posts

Does your GPS road map (Garmin/TomTom) work? If so, the earth has not shifted.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oouthere For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th October 2014), Nick Matkin (25th October 2014)

24. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by sirdipswitch (here)
    Hey Dedukshyn!!!

Great video! It shows exactly what I was talking about. This looks to me like an "old" instruction video, becaise it shows where the Norht Star, (Polaris) used to be. And also notice how the Big Dipper, comes from below the horizon up around the right side of the North Star. It takes the Big Dipper one full year to go all the way around it. See where the NS is in this vid, in relation to the Horizon? It is no longer there. It is much Higher in the sky. It is above the Top of this video now. And the Big Dipper, does not go below the horizon any longer. This portion starts at 6:23.
    Well, there is seasons that are going to affect where Polaris is - I am sure it changes a lot based on seasons (and then possibly precession but likely no change from that, if it happens, actually is perceivable). I don't have enough inputs right now to confirm or deny what you are saying, I am just thinking that the average amateur astronomer, depending on the equipment they had to work with, may not notice a slow or small shift in axis. But I still haven't seen any really good evidence it is happening either -- the three day change in Iceland's shortest day has been the most intriguing to me.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Oouthere (here)
    It would depend on were you were, but in large parts of the world, I'd suspect GPS would be way out.

25. Link to Post #14
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,902 times in 15,481 posts

[...]
    I am looking at the instruction for aligning my telescope - there is no references except the stars themselves. [...]
    I see... the reason it's called an equatorial mount is because the rotation axis is set so as to be perpendicular to Earth's equatorial plane (the latitude angle setting) and therefore parallel/collinear with earth rotation axis which happens to be best approximated by locating Polaris:

Quote An equatorial mount is a mount for instruments that follows the rotation of the sky (celestial sphere) by having one rotational axis parallel to the Earth's axis of rotation.

Equatorial mounts differ from mechanically simpler altazimuth mounts, which require variable speed motion around both axes to track a fixed object in the sky. Also, for astrophotography, the image does not rotate in the focal plane, as occurs with altazimuth mounts when they are guided to track the target's motion, unless a rotating erector prism or other field-derotator is installed.
    So, all that North Star stuff is to calibrate the telescope rotating plates parallel and perpendicular to Earth's equator... reference frame is Earth and her rotation axis perpendicular to her equatorial plane... make sense?

Indeed, a slight difference in tilt wouldn't be much detectable with low power telescopes... however, all the amateur astronomers relying on astrophotogaphy to discover comets and asteroids would start scratching their head when realizing that someone kicked their telescopes hard, overnight and worldwide...
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by Oouthere (here)
    Well actually, if you put it like that, my Garmin did something very strange the other day. It showed me my destination down by the harbour, then dropped me a mile away in town at a totally different address.

I guess the earth HAS shifted.

Just kidding... but whatever happened to my GPS?

27. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

Satellites can also be adjusted, no? Maybe they automatically correct?

I am a believer that the earth's magnetic poles have been shifting causing the earth to be in different alignment with the solar system and the stars. This is from my observation of the angle of the sun rise to the horizon over the last forty years.

I'm with sirdipswitch.

28. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member truth4me's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,290 times in 1,094 posts

It seems like some people just want doom. I don't think we are leaving here that easy...

29. Link to Post #18
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,178 times in 1,466 posts

The confusion may be due to the magnetic shifting of the poles. The polar axis of the planet, known as the North Pole, is not the same thing as the Magnetic North Pole.

Although we are aware the axis of the Earth has shifted only a few centimeters, the Magnetic Pole has been shifting enough to cause a nationwide renumbering of airport runways. This is an ongoing project orchestrated by the Federal Aviation Administration, and doesn't necessarily effect all airport runways.

From The San Jose Mercury New:
    http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-...runway-numbers

From PSYS.ORG:
    Quote "The magnetic north pole is always slowly moving and is currently heading towards Russia from its current position in far northern Canada. The magnetic north pole moves by around 64 km (40 miles) a year because of changes within the Earth’s core (unlike the true north pole which moves very slowly due to tectonic plate movements). It has moved from extremes of around 10 degrees east in the late 16th century to 25 degrees west early in the 19th century, and is now at around 3 degrees west. The north and south magnetic poles can also switch places, and this last happened about 780,000 years ago."
    Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2011-01-tampa-a...d-due.html#jCp
    http://phys.org/news/2011-01-tampa-a...bered-due.html
    The Magnetic Shift has no relationship to the day the sun rises in the northern most latitudes on the planet. This phenomenon has been explained most accurately by the melting of the ice caps. Just a few meters of ice melt will effect the horizon at these extremely acute angles.
    Last edited by observer; 25th October 2014 at 14:25. Reason: add text

30. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Snowflower's Avatar
    Front range Colorado Rockies, in wilderness
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,163 times in 733 posts

As I get older, I'm learning to trust myself more. The sun is in a different place. It comes over the mountain every morning, taking into account Equinox to Solstice etc., in a different location than it did from this same spot when I was young. It used to have a yellow hue. Now it is white hot. These two things I know, from my own observation that I trust. I don't know why, I don't know what's next, I don't know consequences. But I do know these two things.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowflower For This Post:

regnak (25th October 2014), skamandar (25th October 2014)

32. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

If indeed the Earth has shifted it's axis enough to show a visible change in sun location then all of the worlds stone calendars and monuments will no longer be in alignment. I have seen no evidence to suggest this.

Just one example: hundreds of people travel to Chichen Itza to watch the serpent descend during the equinoxes and i can find no report of this no longer occurring.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Hervé (26th October 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast