+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast

Thread: One more try - Discussion of the pros and cons of RHP and LHP within the context of the supplied definition

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

Default Re: One more try - Discussion of the pros and cons of RHP and LHP within the context of the supplied definition

Is the self deception not inclusive of the "two path" mentality? I mean, are we lying to ourselves that we can narrow down courses of purposeful living to one of those two options?

I find that self awareness means accepting that only thing constant is change. It's that each decision you come to is from a unique point in time and space, where all of the variables are necessarily different than even the moment before. To me it seems that the linear time we seem to all exist in gives an opportunity to choose the lhp, a moment later something that looks more right handed, and right after that a chance to do something different, (maybe just be, maybe some other option).

I am driven to serve others. To do this I try to find our one-ness. But it also helps to look at differences, empathize with different paths. Maybe the lie to ourselves is that there is a singular course to take, better than the other. I find it you don't take it personally that there exist seemingly infinite options you may not seem to like, you are better able to make decisions that result in creation of realities you did want, did intend...

2. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

Default Re: One more try - Discussion of the pros and cons of RHP and LHP within the context of the supplied definition

Quote Posted by donk (here)
    Is the self deception not inclusive of the "two path" mentality? I mean, are we lying to ourselves that we can narrow down courses of purposeful living to one of those two options?

I find that self awareness means accepting that only thing constant is change. It's that each decision you come to is from a unique point in time and space, where all of the variables are necessarily different than even the moment before. To me it seems that the linear time we seem to all exist in gives an opportunity to choose the lhp, a moment later something that looks more right handed, and right after that a chance to do something different, (maybe just be, maybe some other option).

I am driven to serve others. To do this I try to find our one-ness. But it also helps to look at differences, empathize with different paths. Maybe the lie to ourselves is that there is a singular course to take, better than the other. I find it you don't take it personally that there exist seemingly infinite options you may not seem to like, you are better able to make decisions that result in creation of realities you did want, did intend...
    Terms and definitions such as Left/Right Hand path are merely reference points necessary for navigation.

With out a reference point you are aimlessly adrift...

Nautical terms are most appropriate in this instance as our early ancestors who where sailors used the Sun/Son as their reference point of navigation by day and the stars of the Heaven at night.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Chester (8th November 2014), donk (8th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Jake (8th November 2014), william r sanford72 (8th November 2014), Zampano (10th November 2014)

4. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Quote Posted by 13th Warrior (here)

Terms and definitions such as Left/Right Hand path are merely reference points necessary for navigation.

Nautical terms are most appropriate in this instance as our early ancestors who where sailors used the Sun/Son as their reference point of navigation by day and the stars of the Heaven at night.
    Very cool analogy, very useful. Thank you.. If I am looking at a map at the spot of my destination,, It would not matter,,, Left or Right, if I did not know on the map where I was..

The 'place of being' is the reference point. If the path leads me there,, who is to judge if I walk on the left or right?? We will all get there... (If you get there before me,, put a couple of burgers on the grill for me,, i'll be there shortly,,,)

Jake.
    Last edited by Jake; 8th November 2014 at 16:33.
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jake For This Post:

13th Warrior (8th November 2014), Chester (8th November 2014), donk (8th November 2014), greybeard (8th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Sebastion (8th November 2014), william r sanford72 (8th November 2014)

6. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,206 times in 5,691 posts

Consider reading post 20 again.

First, I am speaking only for myself... otherwise I would be authoritarian (which is a primary quality of RHP).

In post 20 I suggest that anything other than a strict RHP is left of RHP and that there is nothing right of strict RHP.

In addition, I also stated I reserve the right to one day decide I wish to self-annihilate which suggests I am certainly not a aligned with a hard core LHP stance. I have no label for this particular path and I also (like you) am happy that at any moment I could change my mind completely about everything.

The two terms were brought forth for discussion because I have found a great deal of self deception amongst many folks who perceive they are RHP when they are a blend or mostly or even all but completely LHP oriented. The terms are required so that the discussion can come forth. There is nowhere to be found from my posts anywhere in the three threads I created related to this discussion that anyone should be Left or Right or a hybrid or Direct (ala Rupert Spira) or pathless ala Krishnamurti, etc. The other purpose was meant to examine the pros and cons of the components emulated by these two paths and any path or pathless path for that matter. Still, the primary purpose was to assist us in discovering our own misconceptions and perhaps also our own self-deceptions.

Your point that the only thing constant is change I agree with completely within the realms of form. One of my favorite songs from my teenage years was by the group, YES and was entitled... Perpetual Change.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

donk (8th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Jake (8th November 2014), william r sanford72 (8th November 2014)

8. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jake (here)
    The 'place of being' is the reference point. If the path leads me there,, who is to judge if I walk on the left or right?? We will all get there... (If you get there before me,, put a couple of burgers on the grill for me,, i'll be there shortly,,,)

Jake.
    I would not be able to say "we will all get there" as this implies 'a there' that is some objective destination where we are all destined to arrive.

The goal of many who regard themselves as LHP practitioners is to create their own, isolate "universe" (their own 'there') and emerge within this self-created universe immortally (which implies forever).

Again, I am not saying this is my own goal as I reserve the right to self-immolate if I so desire.

Right now, my goal is to join those in the Halls of Valhalla and retain my ability to return to the earthly game at will (such as is done by the bodhisattva).

If your "there" Jake is these Halls... the odds are high you will beat me there... Note: I like mine medium rare.
    Last edited by Chester; 8th November 2014 at 16:54.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Jake (8th November 2014)

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,317 times in 2,633 posts

Quote Posted by justone (here)

Jake.
    I would not be able to say "we will all get there" as this implies 'a there' that is some objective destination where we are all destined to arrive.

The goal of many who regard themselves as LHP practitioners is to create their own, isolate "universe" (their own 'there') and emerge within this self-created universe immortally (which implies forever).

Again, I am not saying this is my own goal as I reserve the right to self-immolate if I so desire.

Right now, my goal is to join those in the Halls of Valhalla and retain my ability to return to the earthly game at will (such as is done by the bodhisattva).

If your "there" Jake is these Halls... the odds are high you will beat me there... Note: I like mine medium rare.
    I think I'll put on a couple of burgers, right here and now... (Don't tell Paul... lol)

Jake..?
    Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. Yoda....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jake For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014)

12. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member Gatita's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the first time I've encountered the concept of LHP and RHP. After reading through the thread, I can identify elements of both in myself. I think my path is probably better described as a long and winding road. If I get hungry can I stop by for a burger?

Gatita

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gatita For This Post:

Chester (8th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Shezbeth (8th November 2014)

14. Link to Post #28
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,216 times in 1,274 posts

Brilliantly put Gatita. ^_^

When one breaks down linguistics of it, it's really this simple;

The LHP is a direction that tends to posit new interpretations and perceptions based on individual experience. RHP tends to negate those new interpretations and insist one pre-exisiting and/or established perceptions and interpretations. Even a moral relativist can recognize which is positive and which is negative (in an emergent sense).

15. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Very cool analogy, very useful. Thank you.. If I am looking at a map at the spot of my destination,, It would not matter,,, Left or Right, if I did not know on the map where I was..

Jake.

Yes and No; if you were traveling by day(Light Path) you'd be traveling the right hand path since you are greeted by the Father/Sun/Son in the Eastern Sky and when the Son/Sun is exhaulted upon high(Noon; on the right hand facing east) you could make your latitude by use of the "Cross Staff" thus being lost you are now found by his grace(Son/Sun) your savior.

If you were traveling by night(Dark Path) you tread the left hand path since you look to the North Star(Polaris) which is to the left when facing East as your indicator of your latitude.
    Last edited by 13th Warrior; 8th November 2014 at 20:45.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Chester (8th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Shezbeth (8th November 2014)

17. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Gatita (here)
    This is the first time I've encountered the concept of LHP and RHP. After reading through the thread, I can identify elements of both in myself. I think my path is probably better described as a long and winding road. If I get hungry can I stop by for a burger?

Gatita
    Yes, how do you like it cooked?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Jake (8th November 2014), Zampano (10th November 2014)

19. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member Gatita's Avatar
    Thanks

Gatita

I'm a cat. Just wave a match at it for a second.

Gatita

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gatita For This Post:

21. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Gatita

I'm a cat. Just wave a match at it for a second.

Gatita
    Siempre mi amor

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Chester For This Post:

23. Link to Post #33
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,078 times in 2,355 posts

The right-hand path is the path of union with universal reality (God or Nature). (Sam emphasizes the next statement) When the union is completed the individual self will be annihilated; the individual will become one with the divine or natural cosmic order. In this state the ego is destroyed as “heaven” is entered or a nirvana-like existence/nonexistence is “attained.” This is clearly the goal of orthodox Judaic, Christian, Islamic or Buddhistic sects.
    So you could see this loss of individualization as something to be concerned about. Usually the ego in particularly sees this as something of great concern, because of course, the ego would be annihilated as you say, even if temporarily, and this is a frightening thing for it to contemplate: will I even still be "me" when I come out of the other side?

I've had some experiences that I can only describe as mergers with something beyond myself, or a loss of ego, and I came back from them, back into an ego. But I came back with a sense of something wider and yes, I would like to merge with it again. I see this as a nice goal. My ego might be eliminated, or I could look at it this way: my ego becomes universalized and merged with something huge, something much bigger than any one particular individual. I become a drop in a non-existent ocean, an arm of a many-armed Hindu deity, a warrior for a nameless tribe, both working for "the man upstairs" while simultaneously living with the "man upstairs" inside. If I die I can come back in infinite forms and actually already exist in infinite forms.

The individuality is still there, even if you hide your connection back to the source itself. If you stop hiding it from yourself you still are an individual, and can be even be more fully conscious of exactly what it is that makes you so individualized in the first place. But everything comes from "the source."

The kind of work I do here is actually very individualized, to the extent that no one else does what I do on this planet and there's no room for other people to do exactly what I do here. Whether it's collecting and disseminating information (and I love dissecting and comparing things), planting a garden in a particular location, being there for a loved one, or anything at all, there's no one else around to do these things when I do them. And who am I? Ultimately just another part of the source, just like everything else.

I don't see a contradiction in seeing it both ways really, since everything comes from 1 thing, and 1 thing appears to be an infinite number of things, simultaneously.
    Last edited by A Voice from the Mountains; 8th November 2014 at 20:32.

24. Link to Post #34
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

So which path does truth resonate with more?

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Jake (8th November 2014), Shezbeth (8th November 2014)

26. Link to Post #35
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,216 times in 1,274 posts

With any degree of objectivity, I would say "Both, and",... alluding to the Paralogical Thinking described by,... uh,....

27. Link to Post #36
    Australia Avalon Retired Member KaiLee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Milneman (here)
    Both paths hold exact truth. The problem lies in the one who treads the path.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KaiLee For This Post:

13th Warrior (8th November 2014), Chester (8th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014), Jake (8th November 2014)

29. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KaiLee (here)
    Yes,

I would answer the same but, metaphorically as: it depends on the knowledge and skill of the navigator and his/hers skill in using the navigational aides.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Chester (8th November 2014), Grizz Griswold (15th November 2014)

31. Link to Post #38
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

What exactly would that problem look like?

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Yes,

I would answer the same but, metaphorically as: it depends on the knowledge and skill of the navigator and his/hers skill in using the navigational aides.
    What exactly are navigational aides?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

33. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote What exactly are navigational aides?
    Navigational Aides:

Sign Posts
    Markers
    Compass
    Map
    Sextant
    Etcetera...

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

35. Link to Post #40
    Australia Avalon Retired Member KaiLee's Avatar
    Thanks

What exactly would that problem look like?
    There's a link in one of my earlier posts to a well written piece on the LHP and RHP. It clearly defines the traps people from either path fall into.

http://www.detoxorcist.com/left-hand...hand-path.html
    Last edited by KaiLee; 8th November 2014 at 23:11. Reason: Add link

36. The Following User Says Thank You to KaiLee For This Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 5 LastLast