+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: What some of the Disciples ate

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member nzreva's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What some of the Disciples ate

Jesus that is Yahoshua was a Nazoraion John 18:5, 7 Acts 22:8, Nazoraion's did not eat flesh.
    “A Nazoraion never ate meat”

Peter in Acts 3:6 But Peter said, "I do not possess silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you: In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene-- walk!"

Peter, one of the better known disciples, quoting him from the Clementine Homolies (sermons), a script that comes to us via Clemens, the head of the Roman community, and that appeared ca. 220 in Palestine. According to it,

Peter lived on bread and olives to which he sometimes added vegetables (XII:6).

John
    And about the disciple, John, one can read the well-known church historian, Eusibius, (ca. 300) that he “never ate meat.” (Church History II., 2:3)

Similar things are reported about the disciple Matthew. Clemens of Alexandria (3rd century), recognized as reliable by both friends and enemies, writes about Matthew that he lived “from plants and never touched meat,”

Paul was a Nazoraion
    Acts 24:5 "For we have found this man a real pest and a fellow who stirs up dissension among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazoraios.

(Paidagogos [=“The Pedagoge,” the first Christian ethics book] II, 1:16), just as the disciple Matthew, who was voted into the circle of the twelve after the death of Judas.
    And Carl Anders Skriver adds that according to writers of the 2nd century, the apostles Andrew, Philip and Thomas as well as Mark and Luke were vegetarian (p.15).

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nzreva For This Post:

Baby Steps (7th November 2014), Czarek (10th November 2014), gege (7th November 2014), Jules (7th November 2014), justntime2learn (7th November 2014), lucidity (7th November 2014), Michael Moewes (7th November 2014), observer (8th November 2014), Skyhaven (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), Violet (7th November 2014), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 times in 956 posts

Default Re: What some of the Disciples ate

The vegetarianism of Jesus, seems consistent with the hypothesis that Jesus was a Buddhist.
    But Jesus ate fish... or ... he was happy to work miracles to feed fish to his followers.

But how does one get a rich supply of vitamin B12 on a vegetarian diet?
    The answer is ... eat fish. Fish, especially salmon and trout etc have good levels of B12.
    (see here http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...0000000-5.html )

Now all you have to do is figure out which sources of fish are free of PCBs, dioxins and mercury.
    If anyone has an answer to that please feel free to PM me with the answer(s).
    I will be both interested and grateful :-)

be happy

lucidity :-)

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

Atlas (7th November 2014), Baby Steps (7th November 2014), Chester (10th November 2014), justntime2learn (7th November 2014), Skyhaven (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

luke 24: 41-43 interesting
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

13th Warrior (9th November 2014), Atlas (7th November 2014), justntime2learn (7th November 2014), Kindling (10th November 2014), Milneman (7th November 2014), Skyhaven (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    the foothills of le Massif Central, France
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,829 times in 1,059 posts

Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)
    luke 24: 41-43 interesting
    OK, here we go:

Luke 24:41-43 - New International Version (NIV)

41 - And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” 42 - They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 - and he took it and ate it in their presence.

Acts 20:35 - New International Version (NIV)

35 - In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”

Hence.....

"Accept the gift so the giver will be blessed.
    Refuse to accept the gift and neither one of you will be blessed." ??? ....

http://www.examiner.com/article/why-...-accept-a-gift
    Last edited by heyokah; 7th November 2014 at 11:14.

8. Link to Post #5
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Quote Posted by nzreva (here)
    Jesus [...] did not eat flesh.
    Was Jesus a vegetarian? by Matt Slick

No, Jesus was not a vegetarian. He partook of the Passover Meal which was lamb.

Exodus 12:3,6-7,11, “Speak to all the congregation of Israel, saying, ‘On the tenth of this month they are each one to take a lamb for themselves, according to their fathers’ households, a lamb for each household”…” 6‘And you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of the same month, then the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel is to kill it at twilight. 7 ‘Moreover, they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses in which they eat it…11‘Now you shall eat it in this manner: with your loins girded, your sandals on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and you shall eat it in haste--it is the LORD’S Passover.”

Mark 14:13-14, And He *sent two of His disciples, and *said to them, “Go into the city, and a man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water; follow him; 14 and wherever he enters, say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher says, “Where is My guest room in which I may eat the Passover with My disciples?”’

Source http://carm.org/questions/about-jesu...sus-vegetarian

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Milneman (7th November 2014), Snookie (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Big difference between eating meat every day and once or twice a year to follow tradition and be respectful..

11. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

That's my thought too MorningFox.

-----------------------------------------

Here is an interesting comment by DJClayworth:

A non-vegetarian diet would absolutely have been the norm for Jews in those days, and there is certainly no indication that Jesus did not eat meat. Jesus frequently ate with other Jews, with no indication of his having a 'special diet'. Jesus followers clearly did eat meat, and expanded their range of meat eating early in the history of the church. Mention is made of some restrictions on meat eating, which would have been unnecessary if it had been prohibited.
    Last edited by Atlas; 7th November 2014 at 11:43.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Becky (7th November 2014), heyokah (7th November 2014), MorningFox (7th November 2014), Skyhaven (7th November 2014), Snookie (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), thunder24 (7th November 2014), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

13. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Although it is possible that these characters may have been real, historical figures, the most important aspect of the Bible (and nearly every other religious text) is that it speaks in metaphors.

Jesus is the sun and the 12 disciples are the 12 signs of the zodiac, and the stories that surround all of the characters deal with the procession of the equinoxes. Jesus is also every single one of us in that we can also unlock higher consciousness if we stop getting on our knees in blind servitude.
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

13th Warrior (7th November 2014), Akasha (14th November 2014), Atlas (7th November 2014), Snookie (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Jules's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 times in 233 posts

Interesting discussion. My friend, a vegetarian told me that Jesus had to be vegetarian because spiritual people do not eat meat. Now she believes Jesus may not have existed at all. I believe these people existed, times and meanings from bible were different then than what we understand today; however I pointed out to her that if He fed the multitude fish, if He was against fish consumption, why would He feed others with it? My thoughts are that the diet for the average Jewish family would have been said diet. Likewise in the Jewish tradition, certain foods were to be refrained from. Of course this is just my opinion. I also don't see why others would have a problem with a person choosing a vegetarian or vegan diet either.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jules For This Post:

Atlas (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

17. Link to Post #10
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Quote Posted by Jules (here)
    Interesting discussion. My friend, a vegetarian told me that Jesus had to be vegetarian because spiritual people do not eat meat. Now she believes Jesus may not have existed at all. I believe these people existed, times and meanings from bible were different then than what we understand today; however I pointed out to her that if He fed the multitude fish, if He was against fish consumption, why would He feed others with it? My thoughts are that the diet for the average Jewish family would have been said diet. Likewise in the Jewish tradition, certain foods were to be refrained from. Of course this is just my opinion. I also don't see why others would have a problem with a person choosing a vegetarian or vegan diet either.
    Can I ask what makes you think Jesus should have a capital 'H' when you're referring to him as 'He' ?

If he was indeed real, do you think he thought of himself as better, higher or more deserving than anyone else?

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,886 times in 913 posts

Quote Posted by SamwiseTheBrave (here)
    Although it is possible that these characters may have been real, historical figures, the most important aspect of the Bible (and nearly every other religious text) is that it speaks in metaphors.

Jesus is the sun and the 12 disciples are the 12 signs of the zodiac, and the stories that surround all of the characters deal with the procession of the equinoxes. Jesus is also every single one of us in that we can also unlock higher consciousness if we stop getting on our knees in blind servitude.
    Indeed

People get too wrapped up in minor details that prevents them from seeing the bigger picture.
    “Bundinn er bátlaus maður”

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 13th Warrior For This Post:

Shezbeth (8th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), WhiteFeather (7th November 2014)

20. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,979 times in 5,652 posts

Thumbs up Re: What some of the Disciples ate

And what about the Winter Solstice you forgot to add in to that mix Samwise. Doesn't that come around Dec 25th.
    "Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Atlas (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018)

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lucidity (here)
    The vegetarianism of Jesus, seems consistent with the hypothesis that Jesus was a Buddhist.
    But Jesus ate fish... or ... he was happy to work miracles to feed fish to his followers.

But how does one get a rich supply of vitamin B12 on a vegetarian diet?
    The answer is ... eat fish. Fish, especially salmon and trout etc have good levels of B12.
    (see here http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-...0000000-5.html )

Now all you have to do is figure out which sources of fish are free of PCBs, dioxins and mercury.
    If anyone has an answer to that please feel free to PM me with the answer(s).
    I will be both interested and grateful :-)

be happy

You should ask the cows, hippos, rhinos, guerrillas, elephants and giraffes how they stay so healthy and strong living on just grass, hay, fruit and leaves. The largest animals in the world. They don't need B12. But perhaps they are getting it directly from the soil where B12 exists, when they are feeding.

"Where does Vitamin B12 come from?"
    It's very important for you to grasp that in our modern food supply B12 is found MOSTLY in animal products. Well, contrary to what some think, the cow does not actually make the B12, but the bacteria in its gut does.

When a cow chomps on grass, she eats the vitamin B12-enriched soil which allows the bacteria in the cow's gut to make use of the B12 thereby imparting the animal with B12.

And those ancestors of ours who were able to thrive on a plant-based diet without adding any Vegan Vitamin B12 supplements? Well, they were getting their food directly out of the ground still covered in soil -- soil which they were never quite able to completely remove.

Our food today is usually very clean by the time it makes it to our stores, and then we further clean it in our own kitchen (since most of us don't like the taste of dirt). Goodbye Vitamin B12.

If you eat a plant-strong diet, you MUST be sure you're getting the amount of B-12 you need.

http://www.vegancoach.com/vegan-vitamin-B12.html
    Last edited by WhiteFeather; 7th November 2014 at 18:07.

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

13th Warrior (7th November 2014), Atlas (7th November 2014), Michael Moewes (7th November 2014), Pam (8th November 2014), sheme (29th December 2014), Stephanie (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018)

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Bob Dean (A well liked Whistleblower and a Gentleman IMO) once spoke that he was a close friend of Jesus in a previous incarnation when Jesus was around. I personally believe he was here, without any doubt.

Gwilda Wiyaka

Mourning Dove Salish

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Becky (7th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018)

26. Link to Post #15
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Live Vegan. awesome, Thanks

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

nzreva (15th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018)

28. Link to Post #16
    Spain Avalon Member Michael Moewes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 times in 372 posts

Hi jules.
    when you eat corpses, the energie wich they store in their flesh will be absorbed by you. so the entire suffering and pain will go into your entire being.
    also all the 85000 subtle energie channels in your body will block one after the other. to attain enlightenement you need all these channels free and unblocked.
    when you eat dead bodies, someone had to kill this being for you to consume it. therefore you created a very bad karma as this person who kills will go to hell, there are no exeptions.
    the comand " you shall not kill" is for all seinten beings. not only for humans.

Quote Posted by Jules (here)

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moewes For This Post:

Jules (3rd December 2014), nzreva (15th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018)

30. Link to Post #17
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,498 times in 1,175 posts

Once upon a time there were three bears. A mama bear, a papa bear, and a baby bear. Every morning they woke up and ate porridge for breakfast with fresh milk and lots and lots of brown sugar.

Do bears eat porridge for breakfast?

Is it necessary that porridge be used in this story for the message to be conveyed, the moral of the story to be extrapolated correctly?

Is the story about porridge?

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish, and he can eat for a lifetime.

Hand a man a shovel, and watch how much horse manure he can move......

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

Jake (8th November 2014), Shezbeth (8th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018)

32. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,777 times in 956 posts

Since this subject of B12 has cropped up a few times in this thread....
    i should just offer you the big 'B12' news.
    The big B12 news is that:
    => most B-complex/B12 supplements contain cyanocobolamine (this is the cheap form)
    => humans can't directly use cyanocobolamine, they have to turn into methylcobolamine first.
    => not all humans can do this conversion, it requires an enzyme, some people don't have it.
    => levels of this enzyme are low in sick people, and old people.
    => The 'Best Practice' advice is simply... don't buy cyanocobolamine, buy methylcobolamine.
    => humans can directly use methylcobolamine, no enzymes necessary... irrespective of age or sickness.

be happy ... and be healthy

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lucidity For This Post:

Akasha (14th November 2014), conk (14th November 2014), Kindling (10th November 2014), nzreva (15th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), thunder24 (8th November 2014)

34. Link to Post #19
    Australia Avalon Retired Member KaiLee's Avatar
    Thanks

Gospel of Thomas

(14) Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will give rise to sin for yourselves; and if you pray, you will be condemned; and if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits. When you go into any land and walk about in the districts, if they receive you, eat what they will set before you, and heal the sick among them. For what goes into your mouth will not defile you, but that which issues from your mouth - it is that which will defile you."

And I can't find the quote, but it's from one of the banned gospels too. Jesus spoke about only eating the amount of food one could comfortably hold in the palm of your hand. He also advised to eat local food, not food from other districts or from trade.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KaiLee For This Post:

13th Warrior (9th November 2014), Billy (8th November 2014), Kindling (10th November 2014), Shezbeth (8th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), thunder24 (8th November 2014)

36. Link to Post #20
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

Quote Posted by KaiLee (here)
    Gospel of Thomas

(14) Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will give rise to sin for yourselves; and if you pray, you will be condemned; and if you give alms, you will do harm to your spirits. When you go into any land and walk about in the districts, if they receive you, eat what they will set before you, and heal the sick among them. For what goes into your mouth will not defile you, but that which issues from your mouth - it is that which will defile you."

thanks, that is what quote I wanted to put down, but couldn't remember where it was ... thankyou
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

13th Warrior (9th November 2014), Bluegreen (8th November 2014), The Freedom Train (21st March 2018), Valerie Villars (23rd March 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast