+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ode to a Canine King

1. Link to Post #1
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,602 times in 1,157 posts

Default Ode to a Canine King

Ode To a Canine King

I am paying tribute to my dog Coby. Still standing at age 15 ½. A faithful companion to me but mostly my daughter. We thought he was mostly beagle, only 4 pounds when we got him. Found by my daughter abandoned up north, starving, being mistreated. So happy to come into a home with another, more mature dog, which he was so happy to see. Two humans and two cats as well. What a pack. He was so sickly, mostly from an infestation of round, hook, pin and whip worms. So bad, that treatment had to slowly kill them off or it would have blocked his intestines and killed him. My vet said then, he would be the one to make it to age 15.

After that, life was great. Huge areas to run. More than one house or car to go to. Blocks from the dog park. Plenty of food. Toys. He grow into a large dog, He must be part greyhound. 55 lbs.

Went from model, to supermodel, to superhero status. Even modeled his retinas at the vet school for they were perfect. Really proud of all his body parts. Iron dog competitor. Went storm chasing. Helped return some lost dogs to their owners.

Indeed, we joke, he has 200 times the fans on his facebook page than most. So I have started to put out the call that it is getting to be time. Since He is adored by several species, it will take time.

A survivor of both a granuloma and a sarcoma (both cancers). Still majestic and regal. A King. Trying my best to make life comfortable for him. Some plans failed. He could not make it into the bed anymore, so I got him one for the floor. One dog takes it over, then another dog, (the two new young dogs) are in it. Then my cat. We both look at each other and think, “why is this not working?”.... Then I get a ramp to help get him into the car. He looks straight in my eyes, “no way. I am not putting my paw on it. Not touching it. You're ridiculous, not happening.” and it didn't, after all, it's like asking a 90 year old man to walk a thin board. On an steep incline no less but Best laid plans. My daughter even now has tried a wheelchair for him. Again he looks at us, “What are you doing? Are you crazy” Really now he is the equivalent of a 100 human years. He is simply to frail now to pull the heavy wheelchair but bless my daughter'd heart for trying.

Never underestimate an old dog learning new tricks. Last summer at 14 ½ he learned how to open a gate. You have to push up not down. So instead of pawing with his paw he pushed up with his nose. Even then he could not get far, but his mind was there. Opened the gate at more than one house even.

He has gotten quite bold indeed. Can hardly get up but manages to steal food and knows we wont punish him. How do you spank a 100 year old man? Maybe a 125 year old man or woman. I am just thinking. Well ….so he gets a way with some bold and naughty moves now.

We all love him. He is a loyal friend. A royal friend.
    I believe he might be one of the best dogs in all the universes. A tribute to the canine king. Long live the canine king Coby. Long was his reign.

Edited onto tribute.
    I struggle now for he has been here and a great part of us for so long. My daughter and I are still struggling. It is time but I cannot seem to do what is necessary now. We have endured a lot of losses. For my daughter, he was with her from age 16 and now she is 31. Half of her life, he has been there. It is a struggle to let go. I ask for prayers to help us along. And that he passes naturally and peacefully.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Baby Steps (9th December 2014), Bill Ryan (16th November 2014), Earth Angel (17th November 2014), Eva2 (16th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014), giovonni (16th November 2014), Heather2017 (16th November 2014), Jean-Marie (16th November 2014), KaiLee (16th November 2014), Ki's (16th November 2014), kiwikid (16th November 2014), Lifebringer (16th November 2014), LoneWolf76 (16th November 2014), markoid (16th November 2014), Matt P (16th November 2014), Mercedes (16th November 2014), naste.de.lumina (16th November 2014), Orph (16th November 2014), Pam (16th November 2014), spiritwind (17th November 2014), Stephanie (16th November 2014), sunflower (16th November 2014), toppy (16th November 2014), Wind (16th November 2014), yuhui (16th November 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Default Re: Ode to a Canine King

Prayers and much love for Coby, you and all your family. He will be alright. Be calm and focus on all the good he has given you, and you him.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

Fairy Friend (16th November 2014), Jean-Marie (16th November 2014), Pam (16th November 2014), spiritwind (17th November 2014), Wind (16th November 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Gatita's Avatar
    Thanks

When his time comes to cross the Rainbow Bridge, he will walk in service with Anubis, welcoming the less fortunate companions who didn't have the blessings of a loving home.

Cat

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gatita For This Post:

Fairy Friend (16th November 2014), Jean-Marie (16th November 2014), Pam (16th November 2014), Wind (16th November 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

My dog the Bubbis, was a mixed chow, shepherd, and rock-pincer. He was an excellent companion for my husband, after the pup's father had to be turned in. He kept scaling 8-10 feet fences and climbing out and running the blocks. He's a real wild one, but not violent. He was found in the woods, so he was chow and shepherd, Bubbis mom was pincer and rockweiler. All alpha, smart as a whip. They had 11 pups, and were too many to feed and chase after, as they took their dad's climbing skills and were all over the neighborhood, filling the box with citations. I tried having them adopted, but at 3 months, the animal control said they would probably be put down. I was so frustrated one day at the situation, that I told my husband I didn't know what to do, we lived next to cop, and they loved to pin him down, and mess with his ego, by lavishing licks of surrender in his uniform. My husband after the cop said he'd have us in court, took them to animal control to turn them in. The man inside assured him that they would try and have them adopted. Something made him go back in to see and when he got back inside, they had already stuck several of the pups with a shot, and they were lying in the corner in a plastic bucket. My husband saw that and snatched the Bubbis, before they could do him, there was only one left besides Bubbis, his twin Mickey and she didn't make it. I think about the Bubbis who was born on New Years Eve with 10 other healthy happy souls in animal form. He brought my husband so much joy, while in his wheelchair with back problems. Bubbis would pull my husband, and he would guide the chair w/handbrakes to steer. When Bubby stood straight up, he was tall as my husband (6') paws over the shoulder. Lovely charecter, and he had watched all his siblings except his twin put down. Husband should have told me, but he takes things litterally, and it was a time when my vote was purged, so he knew I was frail of mind at the time. (I take my inheritance from my ancestors seriously, because they were serious time to obtain a vote. When the purged it from me, I almost lost my mind. I had never done any crimes, and they just stole it off the list in a felony purge. Mickey was my girl, Bubbis was my husbands companion when bound in wheelchair, while I was at work and he had to stay in the home. Bubbis fetched and when my husband would say: "I gotta save Bubba" like in Forest Gump, he would bark happily and wag his tail. I loved that dog for all the smiles he gave my husband while going through the worse of his six deteriorating lower back disc. God bless all the animal souls that are there to show us unconditional love.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

Fairy Friend (16th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014), Jean-Marie (16th November 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

My condolences, it must be really hard to lose a companion like that. You, your daughter and Coby are in my prayers.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself."
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Fairy Friend (16th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014), Jean-Marie (16th November 2014), Mercedes (16th November 2014), Pam (16th November 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,020 times in 927 posts

Fairy Friend, thanks for this. Having a very similar experience with my main man right now. Jake is a huge chocolate lab. Turns 14 in early Jan. When he was younger he was a dog god, like your king. 110 lbs of pure muscle. Tallest, most handsome and athletic lab you ever saw. Looked and ran like a thoroughbred. He couldn't be contained in any confined space but would never run away, even in the woods. He just liked to be free and with us. He used to go to work with me every day and people would come up to us to say how beautiful he was and would I breed him. When he couldn't jump in the back of the truck anymore, I got a light stool to pack around so he could get in and out, which he took full advantage of (anything to be able to "go for a ride") until he couldn't take the couple steps anymore. Then he was happy to let me lift him in and out until he couldn't make the trips at all anymore. Jake is now nearing his end and it breaks my heart to see him not be able to do all the fun things he used to do. He can't bark but makes a sound like a burrow when he needs to talk to us. He can't see or hear well but his nose guides him around. He's having a hard time getting up and down now. We're just trying to keep him comfortable and hoping for one last Christmas together.
    Here's to your friend and mine...

Matt
    Fear is simply a consequence of a lack of information.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matt P For This Post:

Fairy Friend (16th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014), Jean-Marie (16th November 2014), Mercedes (16th November 2014), Pam (16th November 2014), spiritwind (17th November 2014), toppy (16th November 2014), Wind (16th November 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,678 times in 3,332 posts

I read this with tears rolling down my cheeks. Oh the love that a dog can evoke!!!! I just lost my beloved old girlie, Ophelia. She was a 15 year old bloodhound so I know how hard it is... there is absolutely nothing like the love a human exchanges with a beloved dog. Thank you for your beautiful tribute, Fairy Friend....

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Fairy Friend (16th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014), Jean-Marie (16th November 2014), Mercedes (16th November 2014), spiritwind (17th November 2014), Wind (16th November 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,678 times in 3,332 posts

Quote Posted by mpennery (here)
    Fairy Friend, thanks for this. Having a very similar experience with my main man right now. Jake is a huge chocolate lab. Turns 14 in early Jan. When he was younger he was a dog god, like your king. 110 lbs of pure muscle. Tallest, most handsome and athletic lab you ever saw. Looked and ran like a thoroughbred. He couldn't be contained in any confined space but would never run away, even in the woods. He just liked to be free and with us. He used to go to work with me every day and people would come up to us to say how beautiful he was and would I breed him. When he couldn't jump in the back of the truck anymore, I got a light stool to pack around so he could get in and out, which he took full advantage of (anything to be able to "go for a ride") until he couldn't take the couple steps anymore. Then he was happy to let me lift him in and out until he couldn't make the trips at all anymore. Jake is now nearing his end and it breaks my heart to see him not be able to do all the fun things he used to do. He can't bark but makes a sound like a burrow when he needs to talk to us. He can't see or hear well but his nose guides him around. He's having a hard time getting up and down now. We're just trying to keep him comfortable and hoping for one last Christmas together.
    Here's to your friend and mine...

Matt

Now I know why I am so fond of you, Matt!!!!! You have a heart of gold.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Fairy Friend (16th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 times in 1,310 posts

Hugs, tears and more Hugs all around, and hold each other tight
    Love and Light Always/Sandy

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Post:

Fairy Friend (17th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014), Wind (18th November 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,159 times in 1,454 posts

in the past three months I have lost our 10 year old Irish setter followed by our 16 year old kitty......and other things in my life are falling apart but I wont go there....I actually thought the animals checked out because they didn't want to be here for the stressful situation that is going on in my life at the moment....the lowest point in my life so far......
    We let our dog and cat die on their own terms at home.....the kitty died in my arms last month and the dog died with his owner (my daughter) and I by his side lying on his dog bed.....he waited all day until my husband came home and then died literally that minute. He had to say goodbye to everyone.
    lots of love to all who have a pet who is hurting right now.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Earth Angel For This Post:

Fairy Friend (17th November 2014), gardener2 (17th November 2014), Wind (18th November 2014)

+ Reply to Thread