1. Link to Post #21
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Default Re: Weird second and third hand anecdotes from the military

Quote Posted by Baby Steps (here)
    Hi,
    a wonderful anecdote there!
    I notice that the book you mention is a collection of short stories - did your BF mention any one in particular?
    It kind of is an anecdote isn't it, technically not a rumour - to me - because I was there (ha ha)

The short stories are anecdotes too... just not really military...

He didn't mention any particular story, but we did chat about Niven's Laws. One of Niven's Laws says "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." and that really stood out too

The N Space book stands out because it's the only book he gave me, and I did not ask for it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Baby Steps (18th April 2018), Flash (19th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th April 2018)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,506 times in 4,009 posts

There are a lot of these, some of less than global significance, but it's what goes on.

Paratrooper trainees are sometimes decapitated by the parachute cords. This goes unmentioned. A lot of deaths are unreported or assigned to false reasons, sometimes things like "Six killed in helicopter crash" when they were actually hosed in the mideast.

There are a lot of live training exercises that take place in civilian areas. In one such example, un-uniformed military gunned down a local Sheriff who had stopped them as civilians--it got out of hand since their mission was to not stop for anything.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Baby Steps (18th April 2018), Ewan (19th April 2018), Flash (19th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th April 2018)

5. Link to Post #23
    Great Britain Avalon Member Baby Steps's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,663 times in 1,521 posts

Addendum: From a spy: Mussolini was an MI5 asset
    Addendum: From a soldier: Gulf War syndrome was caused by the highly experimental anti-nerve agent jabs that the troops were given. British bases, protected by gas detectors DID detect chemical attacks from Saddam's forces, but generally these were weak and ineffective.
    we have subcontracted the business of healing people to Companies who profit from sickness.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baby Steps For This Post:

Flash (19th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (19th April 2018), Valerie Villars (19th April 2018)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,951 times in 2,389 posts

1995-ish. Guy I was with on a training course (computer related), had just left the miltary after his full term of over 20 years (rank Colour Sergeant). Was stationed in Cambodia for two years helping train Khmer Rouge troops, this was after Pol Pot.
    Confirmation, if any were needed, that the British Army can have strange bedfellows at the behest of the, one assumes, Foreign Affairs Dept.

Not particularly earth-shattering but I had no reason to doubt the guy. There was another military guy, a similarly ranked Marine, on the course that was an obvious BS merchant, probably a clerk in the marines rather than what he was bragging about. The comparison of the two was like chalk and cheese.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Baby Steps (19th April 2018), Flash (19th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018), Valerie Villars (22nd April 2018)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    1995-ish. Guy I was with on a training course (computer related), had just left the miltary after his full term of over 20 years (rank Colour Sergeant). Was stationed in Cambodia for two years helping train Khmer Rouge troops, this was after Pol Pot.
    Confirmation, if any were needed, that the British Army can have strange bedfellows at the behest of the, one assumes, Foreign Affairs Dept.

Not particularly earth-shattering but I had no reason to doubt the guy. There was another military guy, a similarly ranked Marine, on the course that was an obvious BS merchant, probably a clerk in the marines rather than what he was bragging about. The comparison of the two was like chalk and cheese.
    Thanks- funny how often things are totally different from how they are assumed to be!
    we have subcontracted the business of healing people to Companies who profit from sickness.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baby Steps For This Post:

Ewan (21st April 2018), Flash (19th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    Quote Posted by MorningFox (here)
    These are stories that people you trust have told you... or what?
    Hi,
    yes- I trust the people who tell me, but categorise the information as 'rumours' because they are mostly not first hand.
    I think that's perfect. It's interesting finding patterns in rumours, but I think the thing we need to keep in mind too is that even people who we trust could be fooled from time to time. We always have to judge for ourselves. A good example for me was with crop circles. Lots of rumours there, and the pattern is huge. The idea that all those people are being deceptive just seems foolish to me.

I don't have any military anecdotes but I did date a guy in the military for a short while.

He was very secretive about his job, which is understandable. He gave me a book, N Space by Larry Niven but I never read all of it yet - it's a good book and some weird stuff about aliens in it that really made me think (I started at the back of the book).

A few months after we met he got sent to the North Pole and I remember thinking "the universe must not want me to date anyone" (ha ha). NOW I am even MORE suspicious and I wonder what in the heck is up at that North Pole that's so interesting
    The Canadians and of course, on the other side of the sea, the Russians are at the North Pole - the Russians.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Baby Steps (19th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018), petra (20th April 2018)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 times in 838 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)

The Canadians and of course, on the other side of the sea, the Russians are at the North Pole - the Russians.
    Well, geeeeee whiz. Thank you for busting my dream that Santa Clause was at the north pole!
    I am enlightened, ............ Oh wait. That's just the police shining their spotlights on me.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orph For This Post:

Baby Steps (25th April 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

Quote Posted by Orph (here)
    Quote Posted by Flash (here)

Well, geeeeee whiz. Thank you for busting my dream that Santa Clause was at the north pole!
    lolllllll

Small funny story about this: when my daughter was 8, she started to doubt Santa Claus existence but I could see that she was not sure and mostly not wanting to truly know yet (exercising her head in the sand abilities). So she asked me "does Santa Claus truly comes to our house mommy?" to which I answered "no he does not, because he does not truly exist. We tell he exist to please the children".

She started crying an crying - I was feeling sooooo guilty - to finally stop and tell me "I knew he did not exist, but (sobbing) I cannot believe you ever lied to me - paraphrasing here she said it in French.

Gosh, I felt 100 times more guilty, so bad to have deceived my daughter. We now laugh at it.

So, reaaaally sorry to disappoint you Orph!!

Another cute one is when she asked me from which princess kingdom she was. I had to tell her she could not ever be a 3D flesh and blood princess because her parents were not royalties, princesshood being a blood relative thing. But she could be a princess of the hearts.

It did not make it. She was crying, for days, sad and angry that she could not be a real princess. lollll

therefore, to appease your hurt, Orph, we are making you prince of avalon's hearts. Does it make it?? lol
    Last edited by Flash; 20th April 2018 at 20:31.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Baby Steps (20th April 2018), Daozen (20th April 2018), Ewan (21st April 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th April 2018), Orph (20th April 2018), Valerie Villars (21st April 2018)

17. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Addendum: From a spy: Mussolini was an MI5 asset
    Addendum: From a soldier: Gulf War syndrome was caused by the highly experimental anti-nerve agent jabs that the troops were given. British bases, protected by gas detectors DID detect chemical attacks from Saddam's forces, but generally these were weak and ineffective.
    there is a very credible theory that Gulf War Syndrome is Aspartame poisoning. Thousands of pallets of diet drinks sat in the blazing Sun for weeks on end. Aspartame turns to formaldehyde when heated. Aspartame is already a neuro-toxin and cancer agent even before being heated. Coupled with anthrax and multiple other vaccines, God only knows what kind of ailment GWS is.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Baby Steps (27th May 2018), Foxie Loxie (27th May 2018), raregem (25th May 2018), Valerie Villars (25th May 2018)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Story from Pakistan Army (on the Kashmir 'line of control')

Once per week the Indian Army opposite receive their alcohol rations - this they drink immediately. After that they generally let loose at the Pakistani lines with whatever weapons they have to hand.

The Pakistani troops are told to stay in their bunkers and not to respond. As a way of enforcing this rule - to strictly stay under cover - the men are told that if they receive a wound to the lower half of their body they will be discharged and lose their pension.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baby Steps For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (31st May 2018), Valerie Villars (31st May 2018)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2