+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CHAGA, The Siberian Secret to Health & Longevity

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Default Chaga

Chaga, what is it?

Chaga, also known as Inonotus Obliquus, is a polypore fungus that typically grows on birch trees. As shown in the picture, it looks like a burnt bulbous, which makes it very distinct and visible for those who those to go mushroom hunting. Underneath the black outer layer lies a light brown under-layer and is where most of the important medicinal qualities are found.

Evidence of chaga consumption can be traced as far back as 3,300 B.C.E. during the end of the stone age. It was then used extensively throughout Russia and China, where it was known as the “King of Herbs” and “Mushroom of Immortality.” Due to scientific confirmation of ancient knowledge on chaga, its use is now worldwide and continually growing, as more important research is currently being revealed.

Chaga Health Benefits

1. Beta Glucans: Like all medicinal mushrooms, Chaga contains beta glucans, which are complex polysaccharides that offer potent immune supporting properties.

2. Anti-oxidants: Chaga has been shown to have an extremely high ORAC value (anti-oxidant properties), well beyond that of other high antioxidant foods such as blueberry’s. In may even be true that Chaga offers one of most powerful anti-oxidant effects of any substance yet discovered!

3. Melanin: A rare source of melanin, chaga mushroom is a rich source for this compound, which helps protect our DNA and the ability to maintain healthy skin.

4. Other Unique Health Benefits: Chaga extracts may also inhibit tumor growth, help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, have anti-inflammatory properties, and even balance the body’s qi (energy) levels according to Chinese medicine.

Chaga Extraction Methods and Uses

On the market today there are two main methods used to extract the nutrients and beneficial compounds from chaga inonotus obliquus. One is to make a chaga tea through a hot water extraction, which is the traditional method and mainly isolates the beta glucans. The other is to make a chaga extract by combining chaga in alcohol and letting the alcohol seep out the terpines (adaptogenic qualities). As a tea, chaga has a very mild and pleasant flavor reminiscent of coffee and vanilla. As an alcohol extract it also has a very mild flavor and can be easily mixed with any other beverage.

A third extraction method is through a low-pressure, aqueous extraction that keeps the delicate enzymes and other phytonutrients intact. In my experience and research this is the most beneficial extraction method because of it’s ability to preserve and concentrate all the wonderful things that chaga has to offer.

What is Chaga Conclusion

Thousands of years of historical use combined with solid scientific research on chaga inonotus obliquus have proven that this extraordinary substance is one of the most powerful medicinal compounds we can ingest. It is has become one of my favorite foods/herbs and I use it almost everyday. I hope that you will consider using it and adding it to your integral health regimen. You may even come to realize why ancient cultures revered chaga as the “King of Herbs” and “Mushroom of Immortality.” Enjoy!

How to find it and recognize it and harvest it.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member lisalu's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Chaga

ahhhh. yes, Chaga is a wonderful tea. We hunt for it when we go into the woods and always find it. It has so many medical attributes and tastes delicious. this is the time of year when it is easy to spot.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lisalu For This Post:

conk (25th November 2014), modwiz (28th October 2012), Nasu (29th November 2014), Pam (10th January 2020)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,580 times in 5,817 posts

Hi 665 plumber of the beast,

Thanks for the great post. I've only had chaga tea once, but have another chunk, so maybe I'll make some tea tomorrow.

Quote A third extraction method is through a low-pressure, aqueous extraction that keeps the delicate enzymes and other phytonutrients intact. In my experience and research this is the most beneficial extraction method because of it’s ability to preserve and concentrate all the wonderful things that chaga has to offer.
    Can you give the method for this type of extraction?

Dennis

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (28th October 2012), modwiz (28th October 2012), Nasu (29th November 2014), palehorse (29th November 2023), Pam (10th January 2020)

6. Link to Post #4
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Hi 665 plumber of the beast,

Thanks for the great post. I've only had chaga tea once, but have another chunk, so maybe I'll make some tea tomorrow.

Quote A third extraction method is through a low-pressure, aqueous extraction that keeps the delicate enzymes and other phytonutrients intact. In my experience and research this is the most beneficial extraction method because of it’s ability to preserve and concentrate all the wonderful things that chaga has to offer.
    Can you give the method for this type of extraction?

Dennis
    Grinn, sorry Dennis, i cant, no fresh Chaga here in the land of weed and wooden shoes, no large forests either just the waaaaaay to expensive stuff in b rated health food stores, i had Chaga tea (fresh only twice), this post is for those who want to go search for Chaga themselves, i wanted to help out and offer a healthy informative post. I hope it is to some use for some.

But i can GOOGLE for you

A low pressure aqueous extraction technique is used to ensure the preservation of the active compounds of the Chaga mushroom. To ensure the purity and preservation of natural compounds produced by the Chaga mushroom, energized Pi- water in the aqueous extraction process is used. The Pi-water (Pi-Water has the same function and energy as your body water), is uniquely suited to preserve the anti-oxidant value of the Chaga extract throughout the bottling process until consumption by the consumer. This formula is further enhanced with mineral compounds to facilitate delivery of anti-oxidant compounds to the cells.

www.earthbornproducts.com/chagaprocess.htm

PI WATER??

Pi Water is the water that is very similar to your body water (Living Energy). Living energy means “the energy to live.” Do you know anyone who rarely gets sick or recover quickly when they get hurt? These people have strong living energy. Pi Water has the same function (energy) that your body water has.

Pi Water was discovered in 1964 during the study of physiology of plants by Dr. Akihiro Yama****a, a professor at the Agricultural Department, Nagoya University. He was studying about FLORIGEN. What makes the bud become a flower? Researchers thought it might be related with hormones. They had named the phenomenon FLORIGEN and studied it.

During the study, Dr. Yama****a discovered “body water,” which affects the difference of the bud change instead of hormones. He also discovered that the body water contains a very small amount of Ferric Ferrous Salt (Fe2Fe3) and the water has the function to control our body function normally. After that, through many studies and research, Dr. Yama****a succeeded to make the water that has the same function with your body water artificially and named it Pi Water.

Pi Water is known as the water that enhances living energy. It is well known especially in Japan. According to the book, “Origin and Future of Science,” Pi Water enhances energy in the body, improves the condition of incurable and chronic diseases, grows plants faster and healthier, and keeps food fresh longer.

Nowadays, Pi Water is applied not only in the medical field, but also applied to agriculture, marine products, chemical and beauty industries.

Hope that helps ( a bit)

Regards

Ed
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 28th October 2012 at 09:10.

7. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,300 times in 5,193 posts

Default CHAGA, The Siberian Secret to Health & Longevity

"Published on 22 Nov 2014
    CHAGA, The Siberian Secret to Health & Longevity.
    Chaga has been an ancient longevity and health secret of Siberians, Chinese, Japanese and Koreans for 1,000's of years. Unlike typical herbs, Chaga contains the full nutrient power of ancient trees and all the essentials that enable them to thrive in harsh environments.

Chaga contains loads of B vitamins, flavonoids, phenols, minerals, and enzymes. It is maybe the best source of pantothenic acid, vitamin B5. Chago is also a very powerful skin rejuvenator and protector of the skin.

Another very powerful, anti-aging anti-oxidant found in Chaga is superoxide dismutase (SOD). SOD is maybe the most powerful anti-oxidant in the world and will help damage from free radicals and oxidation. The bio-availability of the superoxide dismutase (SOD) is far greater than found in a pill that you buy, plus Chaga contains more superoxide dismutase (SOD). than most pills.

A typical Chaga drinker will live to be 85 to 100 years old and will stay health and vibrant throughout their lives. It is one of the main secrets to Siberian longevity, in a harsh, stressful climate. Soviets actually ordered their top athletes, cosmonauts and elite to drink Chaga because it had been proven it is a powerful herb (mushroom) that greatly enhances vitality, longevity, health and fights the effects of stress. Actually stress is a very big factor in the development of disease. Any herb or mushroom or nutrient that fights stress will go a long way to preventing a person from ever getting sick."

Clive de Carle explains how to make a chaga extract

Last edited by ktlight; 24th November 2014 at 10:09.

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

earthadvocate (24th November 2014), Kano (24th November 2014), MalteseKnight (24th November 2014), Matt P (24th November 2014), Nasu (29th November 2014), palehorse (29th November 2023), Richard S. (24th November 2014), sandy (28th November 2014), Spiral of Light (24th November 2014), Sunny-side-up (24th November 2014), toppy (24th November 2014), transiten (24th November 2014), ulli (24th November 2014)

9. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 times in 277 posts

Default Re: CHAGA, The Siberian Secret to Health & Longevity

It would appear that consuming chaga results in significant health benefits considering all the nutrients that this fungus collects from the treas but this is a fungus, and every cell of my body screams "caution"!
    Any thoughts?

Czarek
    The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate.
    – Dr. Wayne Dyer

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Czarek For This Post:

palehorse (29th November 2023), Pam (10th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (25th November 2014)

11. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,111 times in 3,950 posts

Quote Posted by Czarek (here)
    It would appear that consuming chaga results in significant health benefits considering all the nutrients that this fungus collects from the treas but this is a fungus, and every cell of my body screams "caution"!
    Any thoughts?

Czarek
    Hi Czarek, yes it's a FunGuy but what is eaten/drank is an extract and not the actual fungus matter, so I guess there is a difference, I hope!

Just adding: as with any suggested consumption of material I would add a warning; Please make sure you identify the item properly and make sure there are no look alike harmful mimics out there!
    Last edited by Sunny-side-up; 25th November 2014 at 01:04.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Nasu (29th November 2014), palehorse (29th November 2023), Pam (10th January 2020)

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 times in 277 posts

This product is consumed raw as well by some. I'm not so sure it's a good idea for those that don't have proper stomach pH.
    Last edited by Czarek; 25th November 2014 at 00:36.
    The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about and refuse to investigate.
    – Dr. Wayne Dyer

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Czarek For This Post:

palehorse (29th November 2023), Pam (10th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (25th November 2014)

15. Link to Post #9
    Virgin Islands Avalon Member Selene's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,225 times in 1,108 posts

FYI, herb hunters:

Here are the equivalent names for the chaga mushroom in English, Chinese and botanical latin:

Common Name: Cat's Claw Inner Bark

Pin Yin Name:
    Bai Hua Rong

Botanical Name: Inonotas obliquus

You can probably order same from your favorite herbal supplier.

Cheers,

Selene
    Last edited by Selene; 25th November 2014 at 01:42.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Selene For This Post:

conk (25th November 2014), Czarek (25th November 2014), Dennis Leahy (25th November 2014), ktlight (25th November 2014), Nasu (29th November 2014), Pam (10th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (27th November 2014)

17. Link to Post #10
    Canada Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,273 times in 1,132 posts

I had chaga mailed by a friend in British Columbia. I made it up into tea but the growth off the tree is hard as a ROCK and needed husband's power tools to get it into suitable format to make the tea. Then I froze a portion of the tea in ice cube trays, saved later in baggies in the freezer, and just thawed them as needed.

To answer the question above about it being a fungus, I have environmental illness and extreme sensitivities, but the tea was beneficial and caused no harm to me in any way.

Here is the recipe sent me by the British Columbia friend:

Wildcrafted Red Banded Polypores
    Fomitopsis Pinicola (Tiaga Fungus)

1. Take your wildcrafted Fomitopsis Pinicola bracket fungus and chop with a cleaver or hatchet into 1 inch chunks. Place these chunks into your food processor/or grating machine and grate into smaller strips. Or take some of your prepared tea fungus and measure the stated amount.
    2. Bring one quart of water to boil, then reduce the heat to simmering (use a stainless steel pot)
    3. Add 3 heaping tablespoons (approx. 20 grams) of grated fungus to simmer for 40 minutes (with the lid on)
    4. Strain the tea; save the fungus in a baggie and store in fridge for later use (can be steeped 2 more times); date the bag
    5. Drink 4-6 ounces of the liquid daily in divided doses (2 oz each time) for a maximum of 4 days at a time only.
    6. Take a break for 3 days to allow the body to regenerate new cells, then resume for 4 more days
    7. Continue in this manner as long as needed for your health condition. Consult with your qualified healthcare provider.
    8. It is very important to consume 2000 mg of bioavailable Vitamin C daily while taking this formula to prevent the onset of scurvy. Apparently this fungus tea is known to utilize significant quantities of Vitamin C during its ingestion. You can supplement your vitamin C by drinking a couple cups of pine needle tea(daily), which is high in Vitamin C.
    9. Store the remaining un-brewed fungus in the freezer for long, safe storage

18. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,546 times in 787 posts

Chaga has nothing to do with cat's claw inner bark BTW. Completely different.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

charles john williamson (5th May 2017), ktlight (11th December 2014), Nasu (29th November 2014)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

I've started adding some chaga powder to my morning decaf coffee drip. It has kind of a chicory flavour. It takes away my morning brain fog and I think better all day. I was sure it had caffeine, but it doesn't. I recommend it for anyone who's getting up in years and is aware they're not as sharp as they used to be.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Franny (10th January 2020), palehorse (29th November 2023)

22. Link to Post #13
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,373 times in 1,568 posts

Here is a video identifying it, very clear, worth watching.

Be aware that Chaga is not the average mushroom you can find on or around any cow dung, it grows specifically on the trunk of birch trees (Betulacea family), Betulacea is close related to the family Fagaceae (beech oak trees), so it is possible that chaga mushrooms can grow with these trees as well.

This tree is native to North America and Eurasia, it does not grows in tropics.
    (see this page for more details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch)
    Last edited by palehorse; 29th November 2023 at 15:00.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

ClearWater (29th November 2023), Johan (Keyholder) (29th November 2023), Pam (3rd December 2023), Sue (Ayt) (29th November 2023)

24. Link to Post #14
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,478 times in 2,544 posts

Clif High used it heavily when he was dealing with his cancer.
    Heard him speak about it in several of his videos, and here.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

ClearWater (30th November 2023), palehorse (29th November 2023), Pam (3rd December 2023)

26. Link to Post #15
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I got some chunks of chaga today, I will prepare a tea later, the person who I bought it from is a trader and he brings many stuffs from Siberia, things like honey, pine nuts and chaga. Price was okay only $5 per 100g.

Mine I found in the fresh market, they also got lots of other shrooms there like cordyceps and reishi.
    --

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

ClearWater (3rd December 2023), Pam (3rd December 2023), Sue (Ayt) (3rd December 2023)

28. Link to Post #16
    Language
    English
    Thanks

today went back to the fresh market, the trader was there again on his stand, today he told me he gets all the stuffs from a Russian that comes around every 15 day, so I think I got a steady supply of chaga.

BTW I had done an infusion last night and it was taste (not delicious haha) with a bit of honey.
    --

29. The Following User Says Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Sue (Ayt) (7th December 2023)

+ Reply to Thread